Thoroughly Loving Nina Ch. 10

Story Info
The public loves a great story.
6.1k words
4.71
17k
2

Part 10 of the 11 part series

Updated 10/11/2022
Created 10/06/2006
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

THE STORY SO FAR: Twice divorced, unemployed computer technician Victor Haig is searching for a real soul mate when he rescues Nina Raymond from two louts who either mistook her for a hooker or an easy opportunity. Nina (20) admits to 37-year old Vic she's sexually inexperienced. He learns the young woman has been abused sexually by the few men in her life including her father. They leave town, taking to the road in Nina's SUV with no destination in mind. They work on a dude guest ranch and a year later help the proprietor rebuild his computer and video business. They then decide to leave the coast and head east into traditional cattle land and look for a run-down ranch to buy to settle down while they build it up. The purchase of a run-down privately owned ranch of 63,800 acres becomes possible when Nina reveals she's the daughter of an heiress and inherited her mother's wealth. Their adventures continue while waiting to 'hand-over' day of the property. In this episode Nina is hailed as a heroine and she works to unite the Black family and to start Joe Black on the road to reclaiming his lost past.

* * *

Nina awoke on the leather dining room sofa to find herself surrounded by smiling faces, the closest being the face of Joe Black; how on earth could he get down on his knees like that, she thought – the pain in his back and hips must be killing him.

"Vic, where's my Vic?"

"Here darling," Vic called. She focused and saw him standing between Hannah and Margo, arms around them both.

"We became caught up with whisky, celebrating news the surgeons believe the skull fracture is minor, there is no sign of infection, internal bleeding and brain bruising is minimal. They are confident Kevin will recover fully," Joe said.

Nina was on her back, dressed only in panties. Mrs Drake pushed through to cover her with a sheet.

"We all think you are a heroine, Nina," Joe said taking her hand and kissing it. "My understanding from the medics is your action in not allowing anything to touch that wound including when you had your shirt over Kevin's face and not moving him the slightest bit contributed significantly to his well-being. Wetting his lips constantly with water and resisting the urge to make him drink was also considered praiseworthy. The media is clamoring to have you and Kevin together so a media conference has been authorized for 5:30 at the hospital. Everyone at the hospital is amazed at the effort you made to attract help quickly to Kevin."

"What is the purpose of the media conference?"

"The story – the public loves a great story," Joe said.

"It will be good publicity for the hospital and great publicity for helicopter rescue without which Kevin may not have survived," Hannah said, wiping her eyes.

"Right, I like Hannah's reasoning. I'll do it."

Joe began the effort to regain his feet, Vic moving quickly to assist him.

"We are all halfway drunk," Joe said responsibly. "I'll find someone to drive us to the hospital."

"I'll drive Nina and your lot," said Mrs Drake.

"Thank you Michelle, I'd like that," Nina said.

Hannah looked at Nina then Michelle Drake without comment.

"Right folk, let's clean up and then hit the road in thirty minutes," Joe said, taking command. He turned to Nina, "You're beyond belief Nina. Please get her ready, Mrs Drake."

"Her name is Michelle," Nina said, holding Joe's gaze.

"Thank you for caring for her Michelle," Joe said, smiling. "You heard that Hannah, there's been a change around here and my thinking Nina has more changes in mind."

"As you wish, thank you for attending to our heroine so well Michelle."

"Thank you Mrs Black."

"It's Hannah, please. How is your family?"

Margo stepped forward and kissed Nina every so softly on the forehead. "Thank you for saving Kevin."

Nina grinned. "Don't miss the point, Margo – it was a team effort. I don't know who decided not to throw away the dried plant but I guess that saved a couple of hours minimum."

"Betsy," Joe said.

"And you Joe, for referring the plant to me."

"Me Hannah? It was you who identified it and knew where it might have survived."

"See Margo, a team effort," Nina smiled. "Then there's the helicopter dispatcher, the pilot and the medics. A beautifully functioning team effort I do declare."

"Agreed to a point Nina," Joe said. "But it was you – your enterprise and focus that was the centre of this fantastic resuce. Margo and I believe without you being there the chopper would have brought back a body."

"I believe that too," Hannah said, placing an arm around Joe's waist.

"Me too, as I have been told the story first hand," said Michelle.

"Oh this is too gooey for me," Nina giggled. "It's much like the end of a sentimental old-type Western. Where's Trigger?"

Only Vic laughed.

"Oops. I have nothing against Trigger's memory or old Westerns."

The other faces looking at her relaxed.

"And I've greatly relieved Kevin appears okay."

"Ease up, Nina, you've done fine," Joe said. "We folk in these parts have high regard for Trigger and old Western movies."

"Of course."

* * *

Kevin sitting up in bed with a heavily bandaged head greeted Nina with open arms and everyone but hospital personnel instructed her how she should rest lightly against Kevin as they told their story.

"Margo?" asked Nina, apprehensive of being made to cuddle in against Margo's husband.

"It's fine Nina, just go with the flow."

A media circus eventuated in the race to record and edit interviews for the evening news and radio and news programs and next morning's newspaper reports.

Nina smiled with delight when a TV crew took Joe Black aside to film a clip. Everyone was slapping him on the back, even asking for autographs.

Michelle raced everyone back to watch the TV news. The second-rate station's presentation was superior to the very basic presentation of the prime news station but at the conclusion of prime news the news reader announced that the news documentary scheduled at 9:00 that evening would be screened at a later date. In its place would be a news backgrounder being taken up by the national network "describing in detail the amazing rescue today in ranch badlands when a courageous young woman sent back a rare weed tied to her horse. That ingenious action brought the legendary former rodeo champion Joe Black to the rescue with pin-point accuracy, saving a life of an injured Australian cowboy."

"That's impossible, snorted Joe. All they filmed was at the hospital." His phone went and he answered, the others not being able to hear the person calling him:

"Really – why?"

"When?"

"Who authorized it?"

"No, of course I'm not mad at you – it was your call."

"Right, I agree. You arrange that with Michelle."

"Who's Michelle? Ooops, orry – Mrs Michelle Drake."

"Right Bella, we'll be there by 8:50. Save us the best seats in the house – six of us counting Michelle."

Joe told the people watching TV: "That was Bella. She and Betsy have organized everyone on the ranch including guests to assemble in the main bunkhouse by 8:45 to watch the doco. Apparently two film crews were out here filming on the ground and by chopper. The word is Juna is likely to be nominated for the Horse Hall of Fame. I've authorized Bella to set up a bar under your supervision Michelle. Just rustle up some cold food for us and then you'll be free to support Bella and Betsy. Damn, I'm sorry those two are going."

"Going, going where?" Nina asked.

"They're working till the middle of next month. Kevin doesn't like gay women and those two don't like Kevin."

"It will be different now," Margo urged. "Betsy is a heroine."

"Where are they going," Nina asked, bottom lip trembling.

"They're still looking."

"Change their minds daddy," Margo sobbed.

"I could swing Betsy around, but not Bella. Bella don't take shit from no-one – you know that Margo. I was practically crying before I could persuade her to finish out the month."

Nina looked at Vic knowing if it was a signal for sex he'd be tuned in absolutely. But this?

Vic nodded back and winked.

"They're coming to work for us," Nina said firmly. "They can stay at the hotel if Kate won't have them. I can't see Kate missing an opportunity to host two real cowgirls for a fortnight. Bella will ensure Shaun proves to be a gallant husband and pulls his weight to support Kate as wedding venue hostess."

"Oh Nina and Vic – that is a magnificent gesture but it will upset your plans," Joe said with real concern.

"Oh now way," Nina said. "It just means we hit the gas pedal sooner that expected. I'm all for that."

"Do you think you can handle Bella?" Joe asked.

"I've observed you – give her instructions then get out of the way; if there are complaints about her, disappear into town."

Joe grinned and Hannah looked at Nina with even more respect that before. She told Joe to let Nina break the news to the girls – "Though do it before they become drunk Nina."

Joe led his party in just before 9:00 and we met with not quite the welcome they expected.

"Where's Nina?" called somebody."

"She's decided to slip in after the lights are turned down," Joe answered. "She's embarrassed by all this fuss."

Some of the guests began chanting, "We want Nina; we want Nina."

"I'll fetch her boss," Bella grinned, people parting nervously as she walked through them. "Take your seats, we don't want to miss the show," she growled. Everyone headed for the seats, carrying their drinks.

A minute later Bella came into the hall with a beautifully formed woman but only half her size.

Everyone stood and clapped and Bella proudly marched Nina to the front row and sat Nina between Joe and Hannah.

"Thank you everyone for coming," Betsy said, emerging from behind curtains and looking at her watch. "We have the loan of a giant screen so people at the back will see everything. This has been a great day for this ranch, the heroic rescue of Joe and Hannah Black's son-in-law Kevin Hazelwood. We're told the program we are about to see is being beamed to his homeland of Australia. You are about to see a real life Western – I know because I worked much of afternoon with the scriptwriter and the narrator. The program stars are Joe Black and Nina Raymond. I'll let the film tell the story. Dim the lights more, Bella."

Nina wriggled in acute embarrassment, heating her sunburn, when the title 'Nina Wannabe Cowgirl' screened to the tune of 'Red River Valley'.

A guy in full cowboy regalia rode on a Palomino into shot in a lush green valley, entered the stream and stop midway; the camera remained fixed on him.

"Ohmigod, look at that horse," Nina heard Vic exclaim.

"Hi, I'm Roddy Westerman riding O'Mar. This and the scene behind me is how many folk visualize the cowboy tradition. Yep, some ranch land is lush but tonight we see it's not all sweet wine and roses. It can be really tough out there with cowboys going where even highly focused dudes debate whether to follow or if they do decide to venture they first pray for their survival. But let's have Nina's story...

The film introduced Nina, showing her stepping out of the SUV outside the hospital, the camera positioned on the roof. It zoomed in.

Roddy's narration began: "This is Nina Raymond, twenty-two, who took to the road after her widowed father died just over a year back. A guy Vic Haig traveling with her after having saved her from being roughed up or worse by a couple of drunks. Nina and Vic were without family ties and romantic gravitation seemed inevitable; that has proven to be aa they've fallen in love and marry at the end of next month."

"Watch Nina – who's a little wobbly on those high heels because she's become addicted to cowgirl boots. The textured cotton dress is hurting her because she's very sunburned beneath and we'll tell you why later. She's beautiful isn't she. Always wears sun protection on her face when out riding, her Stetson worn low. The tall guy is her lover Vic, the other young woman is the near-widow Margo with her mother Hannah, the family's cook-housekeeper Mrs Drake and we zoom right in on to her famous father, former rodeo champion Joe Black who runs a very successful dude ranch, scene of today's drama.

"We switch to a close of cowgirl Betsy Rivers and really right in to focus on those strands of dry weed in Betsy's hand. Victim Kevin Hazelwood – a tough horseman and ranch manager from Australia's Northern Territory – owes his life to this plant. This is Kevin – looking to be recovering well and look at his teeth flash as her sees the angel walking towards him, all smiles – Nina, the wannabe cowgirl who saved him from certain death out there in the badlands."

"If you believe badlands on a ranch are a myth, take a look at this. It's near-desert and now as our chopper flies lower you can see very rocky badlands. That's the remains of Kevin's horse. Kevin and horse were tossed by a bull weighting more than 2000 pounds, the horse crashing itself and Kevin against rocks, Kevin suffering a fractured skull and multiple body lacerations, the horse broke both front legs."

A clip showed fifty or more large bulls scattering as the helicoper zeroed in on them.

The narrator condinued: "Fortunately Kevin carries a replica model of a cowboy carbine. Still conscious, his brain yet to temporarily shut down, Kevin ask Nina to shoot the horse and try not to shoot him as his left leg was pinned right under it somewhere. Nina who'd never fired a gun shot the horse, releasing it from terrible agony. Nina cried, but only because she'd just shot a beautiful horse. Here they were, a two and a half hours to three hour ride from the homestead in the badlands, one horse, two people one of whom was trapped and now unconscious. No telephone connection and they had no radio. So where was help? Here were are looking at their best chance, Nina wannabe cowgirl, coming from the hospital, crying in relief that her ordeal is over and held by Kevin's wife Margo who thinks heroine is too inadequate to describe Nina's great feat today."

The narration continued along that style and the film ended with a fade-out of Joe Black winning his final title and being acclaimed as everyone's hero.

* * *

During the next few days Vic scarcely saw Nina during daylight hours – she was mostly out riding with either Betsy or Bella or both. The cowgirls were thrilled to be heading for a couple of weeks with Kate, attending the wedding and three days later beginning work on Haig Ranch.

Margo and Vic had become friendly and watching them interact Nina sighed and thought, give them time and they will succumb. Hannah had been taking Margo in most days to sit with Kevin for an hour, to go for a long lunch with Margo and then leave her back with Kevin for another hour. Vic substituted for Hannah one day when she went to lunch with a group of women and again the second-last day before he and Nina headed home.

It began innocently. Kevin picked up Margo to take her to lunch and realized she was looking at him doe-eyed.

"You've been so kind working between me and daddy; I really feel he's relating to me again like daddy of old."

"I wouldn't know, but I've seen change occurring within you."

"I had to act, he's besotted with Nina."

Vic laughed: "Once a ladies' man, always a ladies' man."

"He wishes Nina was his daughter."

"Well, we're away to tomorrow – you'll then have free range."

Margo sighed and said she'd do her best to truly bond with her parents. "But enough of this – let's book into a motel?"

"Why."

"I've seen you looking at me."

"Can't a cat look at a queen?"

"Not with that sort of look. I'm missing that sort of attention."

Vic asked her was she certain. She said very certain and directed him to a motel she knew had an hourly room rate if one offered payment with a wink.

The clerk saw the wink. "I'll just zap your card," she smiled. "Just notify me when you leave and you'll be billed the hourly rate."

"Hello Margo – I saw you on TV. I trust your husband is improving satisfactory."

"Coming along nicely, thank you Linda. You won't recall ever seeing me here, will you?"

"Good heaven's no. We have no desire to lose our reputation as being a reputable comfort stop. Enjoy."

They entered the room and Margo seized Vic and kissed him deeply. "We have almost two hours – just do it lovingly and slowly Vic."

"That's fine with me – I don't wish Nina to find me under powered."

Margo said if he had misgivings he could walk now with no hard feelings.

"No, I'm fine," he said, slapping Margo's butt. She squealed happily, throwing her carry-bag on the floor.

"Change of clothes – smart girl; you left the ranch with this in mind?"

She just grinned and began unbuckling Vic's belt, licking her lips. An hour later, after going very slowly, Margo mounted Vic in reverse cowgirl position and went for gold, sweating herself into a satisfying climax that left her almost in a faint.

Margo went out to her father's SUV while Vic went to notify Linda they were away.

"She's smart bringing a complete change of clothes," Linda said.

Without thinking Vic commented: "Margo must have done this before."

"That's not a gentlemanly thing to say," Linda smiled. "Come back anytime you wish – preferably without Margo. Just give me a call if you'd like new company."

"I'll remember that – what a great offer."

After dinner that night Margo said she was off to bed with a good book, knowing that the other two couples had business to discuss.

Vic addressed Joe and Hannah. "You've confirmed before dinner you're closing the guest operation three months from now. Nina and I are interested in taking eighteen of your best cabins."

Hannah asked if it would be worth it, what with the high cost of transport. Vic said yes but that depended on purchase price. He'd measured up and been in to see Nixon Haulage and Peter Nixon had said they could haul two units at a time on truck and trailer and had given Vic an estimated cost per haul including pilot vehicles.

"We are prepared to offer $20,000 per cabin," Nina said. "If you can get more that fine, we'll understand. On site they are worth much more than that."

Hannah excused herself and went over to Joe and whispered to him. She returned to her chair and said, "Joe and I agree you select the cabins you wish to take. You'll be busy so we'll arrange delivery at this end. You will have plenty of time to secure the approval of all authorities for your guest development – a month from date of filing application should be tops if it's similar to this county. Nixon Haulage can then unload straight on to the concrete pad for each cabin. Now this is non-negotiable – the only price we'll accept is $10,000 a cabin. After what you have done for this family Nina we feel mean asking for money but agree the money received should go to Margo and Kevin as they now have a half share in everything here."

"Not negotiable?" Vic queried.

"Yes, absolutely," Joe said. "Furthermore, Hannah and I have been talking about retiring to The Town and once we look over your ranch and development plans we could be interested in being invited to buy into the project."

"We'd love that, wouldn't we Vic?"

"Sure as night follows day," Vic responded. "We're aiming to provide facilities, services and adventures that will earn the Haig Guest Rancher operation five-star rating and we'll run at 80-percent plus occupancy. Advice we've been given says 'word of mouth from satisfied guests' will keep our accommodation full."

"That's what to aim for, but don't expect to get there overnight," Hannah said excitedly. "Market hard, polish your facilities and deliver great value for money. Everything else will take care of itself."

"My advice is keep the enthusiasm going, keep everything up to scratch and don't over-expect – guest and dude ranch facilities are becoming a dime a dozen," Joe said.

12