Threads: The Island

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Kyle nodded and looked around for something to wash the pill down with. He found a bottle of water in the galley and took the pill, then joined Patricia on the sofa.

"This boat's something," She said, a warning note in her voice. "You want to be seated when it opens up."

"Should we go upstairs?" Kyle suggested. The boat had really got his attention and he wanted to see what it was like.

"Sure," Patricia nodded and they headed out the back and up the stairs.

"Come to enjoy the ride?" Captain Wales asked as they appeared on the upper deck. He was standing beside a large console with one hand on a steering wheel and the other on a large lever. "We're just about to cast off."

"Kyle wants to see what it's like when you open her up, Captain," Patricia told him, and Kyle detected a hint of amusement in her tone.

The Captain grinned and looked over the side of the boat. "We good?" He called down, then grunted a moment later, hit some buttons on the console and Kyle felt the big engines come to life. The sheer power vibrated through his feet.

"Wow," He murmured.

"I know," Patricia replied. "It's gets better."

"Can't wait."

The Captain moved the lever forward an inch and the boat began to move away from the quay slowly until they were clear of the other boats. A turn of the wheel had the nose pulling around to the right towards the open water.

"Hold tight, kids," Captain Wales told them, and he pushed the lever most of the way forward.

Kyle was pressed right back in his seat as the engines roared and the nose of the boat lifted. For a terrifying second he thought the boat was going to flip over, but then it raced forward. The wind was blasting through his hair in seconds as the Catamaran blasted out to sea. He glanced over his shoulder, seeing a huge spray of water coming up behind him from the back of the boat.

"Holy fucking shit," He grinned, and laughed as he saw Patricia laughing at his expression. "This is seriously bad ass."

Kyle sat on the upper deck for ten minutes, revelling in the blast of fresh air in his face, but he began to yawn so Patricia suggested they went back downstairs. Once they were seated in the cabin one of Captain Wales' crew brought them coffee and fruit juice, and Kyle poured himself a cup.

"So I need to talk to you about Security, Kyle."

"Okay," Kyle nodded. He figured that there was bound to be some security on the island, so he was about to get a briefing on it.

"From this point forward, and in many different ways, you're going to be a target," She said flatly, taking him by surprise.

He blinked. "A target?"

"Yes. In many different ways. Because you're worth a lot of money, you'll be a high-level target for kidnappers, people will try and con you, the media will pursue you, women will try and seduce you, politicians will try and court you, basically you'll be sought after in many different ways."

Kyle laughed, drawing a frown from Patricia. It wasn't the reaction she'd been expecting, but it was one particular line in there that made him laugh.

"Women will try and seduce me? I think you can chalk that one off as a non-existant threat," He told her.

For all Kyle's life he'd been the pursuer, and not particularly successful at it either. He'd had a few girlfriends, but nothing serious, and certainly no-one he wanted to spend a great deal of time with either with the exception of Katie, but he'd always had to do the work. Kyle didn't think a woman had ever put the moves on him in his entire life.

Patricia sighed and clasped her hands together. "Okay, Kyle. How much do you know about perception?"

"You mean what you see?"

"No, I mean how others see you. How your perception of yourself differs from how others see you."

He shrugged. "I can't say I've given it much thought. You mean like an image though?"

"Sort of. Let me explain how people will perceive you, assuming you end up accepting everything thats on offer from this trip."

"Okay," He replied, no longer laughing.

"From out of nowhere comes this guy, one of the heirs to the Tripps billions, and he looks a lot like Danny Tripps himself. He's slim, in pretty decent shape and by the time the stylists have been over him, he's looking pretty good. He's got a degree in Business from Stamford so he's bright, and no-one really knows anything about him. With me so far?"

Kyle nodded, listening.

"So there's this guy. Rich, tall, dark hair, well groomed, smartly dressed and single. He's got sports cars, helicopters, boats and an unlimited supply of cash, so he can pretty much do whatever he wants, go wherever he wants and anyone he chooses to take with him is going to have the time of their life, right?"

"Yeah, but that's not me," He pointed out.

"That's how people will perceive you though," Patricia said quickly. "Guys will be envious of you, women will be attracted to you, and you'll be on the cover of magazines all over the world."

Despite the tablet earlier, he suddenly felt his stomach tense right up. Kyle shook his head. "I'm sorry though, Patricia, but I'm not an attractive guy. I've never been good with women and I've always had to do the chasing."

"And in the future, many of the women who would have laughed in your face before will throw themselves at you."

"Why?"

"Because you have everything they could possibly desire," She shrugged. "On a genetic level you'll turn some women on simply because you'll be able to care better for any possible children they could have and that'll make them want to mate with you. One of those genetic urges. Like why so many women think Simon Cowell is hot."

"I thought that was because he oozed confidence though."

"So does a double-glazing salesman," she pointed out. "Besides, soon you'll have more confidence about you than even Simon Cowell does. Plus, he's a asshole. You don't seem like that kind of guy."

Kyle rubbed at his head for a minute, thinking. "So if what you say turns out to be true, I can pretty much get my pick of women?"

"Pretty much," She agreed. "And therein lies the problem. If women are easy for you, then the ones who play hard to get become attractive to you, right? That means you can be manipulated. Then you score and the next thing there's a sex-tape on the internet, and some girls famous. Or you've got a baby scandal on your hands and you're paying millions every year in alimony payments and some girl who's smart enough to seduce you gets set up for life. Do you see where I'm coming from?"

"I guess," He shrugged. "I'm still not convinced that women will throw themselves at me though. That sounds a little too surreal, even for the weirdest day ever."

"Well, that's only one particular threat out of many. Throw in the risk of kidnappers, conmen, paparazzi, people trying to spike your drinks, and basically your life just became a lot more restricted than you thought it might be."

"So if you're right, then I'll have the money to be able to do whatever I want, but I won't be able to do whatever I want?"

"That's about right," Patricia nodded.

"Whereas yesterday I could do whatever I wanted, but didn't have the money to do whatever I wanted," He stated.

"More or less."

"So what's the point in being rich?"

"Different people want to do different things, have different motivations," Patricia explained. "As soon as you figure out what you want to do with your life then you'll have goals you can strive towards. For now, just take each day at a time and try not to go crazy."

Kyle sat and thought about that for a few minutes then asked another question.

"So how does it work then?"

"The security side of things? You'll have a bodyguard, or more usually several, depending on where you are and what you're doing, but there'll be one guy who stays with you, looks after you and advises you if something's too risky. I'd suggest you listen to him if he says that though."

"So who's mine?" Kyle asked.

"That depends who you appoint. We do have a shortlist of suitable candidates though, but in the meantime, the island is secure so it's not an immediately pressing concern."

A thought struck Kyle. "Is that why this boat's so kick-ass, but only used as a ferry?"

Patricia smiled, pleased that he'd made the connection. "If we're on the water, then we're vulnerable, so the boat has the power to get us far away from any threats very quickly, and if there's any we can't outrun, then Captain Wales and his crew are more than capable of fighting off any threats. He's an ex SEAL. So are his crew."

"Wow," Kyle murmured. This was serious stuff, he realised and he sat quietly considering it all for a while. If what Patricia said was true, and even if he ended up returning to his normal life after a few days, he'd still be a target. Kyle's life had well and truly changed.

He still didn't know if it was for the better, but it was certainly going to be different.

The Island came into view and Kyle stood up at the windows for a better look. It was gorgeous, a tropical paradise of palm trees and beautiful white sandy beaches. The cliffs that rose up out of the water to the east and west were natural and rugged and the structures he could see seemed to enhance the natural beauty rather than detract from it.

"It's better than I imagined," Kyle admitted.

"I know," Patricia said, standing beside him. "I love it here."

Kyle could feel the nerves building in his stomach again as the boat approached the pier and all too soon it was alongside it, the crew tying the Betsy against it. He could see several people waiting at the end of the pier and he took a deep breath, then let it out slowly.

"What's the Island Manager guy's name again?" He asked.

"Edwin," Patricia replied. "It's the guy there with the white hair and the black shirt. He always wears black shirts."

"Why?" Kyle asked, more to keep the conversation going than out of any real interest.

"Don't know. He just always does." Patricia chuckled. "I've no idea why I even brought that up."

"So what happens now?"

She turned to face him. "You'll meet Edwin. He'll walk you up to the main house, show you your suite and probably give you a quick briefing on the Island over a cup of tea. He likes his cups of tea. Anyway, by the time he's done with that your luggage should be in your suite, and you've got around eight hours before your sisters arrive."

"They're both coming?" Kyle asked, not knowing how Mister Crowler had got on with them.

"Oh, did I not say?" Patricia scowled. "Sorry, Kyle. Yes, they're both coming."

"Okay." He felt that little lurch of excitement at the thought of seeing them again, and looked unhappy.

"Kyle. Can I just say something," Patricia said softly, moving a step closer to him.

"Sure."

"You know it can't happen again, right?" She said, her voice low. "You and Katie, I mean."

"Oh, I know," He replied immediately. "Believe me, I know. This is fucked up enough without anything else happening."

She nodded quickly. "Good. I just wanted to... make sure you knew."

"I definitely know," Kyle replied.

"Good. Shall we disembark then?" Patricia smiled. "Go and explore paradise? We can run through the rest of your schedule later."

Kyle squared his shoulders and nodded. "Okay."

Patricia led him up the gangplank onto the pier where the first person to step forward was Edwin, an elderly gent in his early sixties. They shook hands.

"Welcome to the Island, Master Watson," Edwin said, his accent like the stiff upper lip British you'd hear in an old sitcom like Fawlty Towers.

"Kyle's fine, Edwin, and thanks."

"Master Kyle then," He said. "Welcome to the Island. If you'd care to follow me?"

Kyle nodded, realising he wasn't going to be introduced to the four men and women waiting nearby. They were dressed identically in purple polo shirts and black trousers, and he realised they must be some of the staff from the Island, probably there to carry his bags.

Edwin began walking along the wooden pier, its thick planks held up by wide round posts sunk into the ground that reached waist height.

Kyle followed, feeling the heat already in the air despite it only being an hour or so since the sun came up. The water on either side of the pier was the clearest blue he'd ever seen, like something from a picture postcard, and the white sand on the beach matched it perfectly.

The pier ended at a wide flagstoned pathway leading straight up the beach and into the trees and Edwin led them straight up. "This is the main pathway up from the dock, Master Kyle," Edwin explained as they walked. "There are a number of pathways criss-crossing the Island, but I'm not going to show you them all now. We're simply going to head for the main house, which is directly up this hill."

The path was quite steep as it rose up from the beach, but not at such an angle that stairs were required. As they entered the treeline Kyle slowed and looked at the Palm trees shading them, rising tall and majestic in a myriad of curves, casting angular shadows over the path.

"Please keep up, Master Kyle," Edwin said briskly as he strode ahead. Kyle glanced at Patricia, who gave him a quick grin then nodded with her head that he should get going.

They continued up the sloping path, veering around a couple of small buildings that Edwin identified as a Security office and a storeroom for scuba equipment, and then a large two-story building came into view.

"The lower floor of this building houses the Islands medical facilities and some administrative offices. The upper floor is my home and office, should you ever need to find me," Edwin announced. "Our path leads to the left now."

They rounded the building and Kyle found himself on a wide wooden walkway that reminded him of Mister Miyagi's garden in the original Karate Kid movie. It was slightly above the level of the gardens beneath it and lined by palm trees on either side. The far Eastern influences were obvious, and as his eyes followed it he paused, seeing the main house for the first time.

It was a mixture of ancient Japanese and Caribbean, a strange combination, but one that really worked in the surroundings. A two story central tower was flanked on either side by three story towers, the main structural beams all wooden and instead of rice paper doors and walls it was a mixture of opaque and clear glass. The roofs were circular, like you'd expect in a beach hut, and the whole structure looked like it was made from natural materials.

"That's gorgeous," Kyle blurted.

"Thank you very much, Master Kyle," Edwin replied, stopping. "It took me nearly four months to get the designs right and another eight months to build it, but I am rather proud of it."

"You designed it?"

"Yes, Master Kyle," The old man nodded. "Architecture has always held a fascination for me. In fact, I'm fortunate enough to say, all the buildings on the Island were my designs."

"That's very impressive," Kyle said and saw the old man smile.

"If you'll follow me?" Edwin led off again, heading for the main house.

"Well done, Kyle," Patricia whispered as they moved to follow. "Edwin likes being flattered."

Kyle shrugged and nodded, not really meaning to do it as he was just being honest.

They followed Edwin up to a wide flagstoned patio and as they approached the house, Kyle could see inside it. The central tower must have been sixty feet wide and the ground floor was smooth polished wood that shone as the light reflected off it. A dining table that must be able to seat thirty people took up the right side of the room, and the left was split into several seating areas, wide sofas and coffee tables, and a massive fireplace sat against the wall. A wide thoroughfare led straight out open doors at the other side to a large decked area and an infinity pool with a view straight over the ocean.

"Oh, wow."

"Oh, yes," Patricia replied. "Wait until you see the rooms."

As Edwin led them inside Kyle could see wooden staircases on the far corners of the room leading to the floor above and wide doorways under them leading to the flanking towers.

"This place is amazing," Kyle said, his eyes continually roving around the room. Photographs of the Island were dotted around the walls, along with vases of flowers and plants in pots. Baskets of fruit sat on the coffee tables and as they walked out the other side of the house Kyle saw the pool area.

The two flanking towers had buildings behind them, he saw, two story rectangular structures that enclosed the main house right to the edge of the cliffs, sheltering the pool area on three sides, the other side opening to the ocean. Deckchairs and sunloungers lay to the right and left of the large pool and a canopied area with tables and chairs sat to his immediate right.

"Welcome to the main house, Master Kyle," Edwin said, turning to face him. "I'll just give you a quick description of the layout, if that's alright?"

"Sure."

"Well, the main social area of the house we've just been through, and your suite is located on the floor above," Edwin stated. "If you look you can see the balcony that overlooks the pool area and runs around the upper floor of the three towers."

"I bet the view is amazing up there," Kyle muttered.

"The sunsets are rather spectacular as it faces the West," Edwin replied. "Now, to the right of the pool is a bar and restaurant, with two small guest suites above it."

"Sorry to interrupt, Edwin," Kyle said as he looked at the building. "Is it okay if I smoke out here? I don't know what the rules are, and..."

Edwin raised his hand in the air and snapped his fingers. One of the staff appeared from inside the house. "Bring Master Kyle an ashtray." The old man turned back to them. "Where are my manners? What would you like to drink, Master Kyle?"

Kyle shrugged, not really knowing. It was too hot for coffee and he felt tired and grubby from the travel and a lack of sleep. "Some fruit juice or something?"

"Two orange, peach and cranberry juices please, Ellen," Patricia said, addressing the member of staff directly. She nodded and disappeared. "I hope that's okay? It's nice and refreshing, Kyle."

"It sounds it." Kyle took out his cigarettes and lit up.

"Moving on, on the opposite side of the pool is a business suite on the lower floor and another two guest suites above it. The business suite continues through to the ground floor of the tower here, and links up with the main room."

"That's a lot of business suite," Kyle noted.

"Mister Tripps liked to conduct a lot of business here," Edwin replied. "On the middle floor of each of the towers are large suites, similar in size to your own. Your sisters will have them, Kara on the right and Katarina on the left."

"So on either side of mine then?"

"That's correct, Master Kyle."

"Okay," He nodded, not entirely sure what to say next. It was all quite overwhelming.

"That leaves the ground floor of the left tower, which contains a small cinema, a couple of meeting rooms and some staff facilities. The top floors of each of the towers are used to house our communications equipment and IT infrastructure."

"Server rooms?"

The old man shrugged. "It's a little more complicated than that, but in essence, yes."

"That's a lot of room."

"Yes, Master Kyle," Edwin replied. "Now, if you'll excuse me for a few minutes I'll go and check on your suite."

As the old man disappeared into the house Kyle looked around.

"This place is stunning. How do you get any work done? I'd just be sitting looking around all day."

Patricia chuckled. "You get used to it."

Kyle smiled and walked over to the edge of the deck where it looked over the ocean. The view was spectacular, miles and miles of ocean stretching into the distance.

"Where do you stay when you're here?"

1...7891011...42