Tifa's Consolation

Story Info
FF7R. Tifa finds comfort in the unlikely arm of another.
7.6k words
4.9
3.1k
9
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"FUCK!" came muffled through the next apartment, followed by a thud that shook the entire wall. It was followed by another thud, and another and another in a steady rhythm to accompany the sound of Jessie's wanton moans.

Tifa wasn't weak, and she wasn't stupid. There she sat in bed hugging her knees to her chest after a long day serving drunks and making sure her cell of Avalanche was taken care of, listening to her childhood friend fuck Jessie's brains out against the wall.

"Cloud..." Tifa sighed, squeezing her legs until it hurt. At least physical pain went away when she let go. How could she let go, hearing the thump thump thump of their sex? Jessie wasn't a quiet lover, and every loud, drunk moan was more salt in the wound. "Seriously Jessie? You couldn't wait one day?" Tifa bit her lip.

If anything, the martial artist was envious of the woman. Not for getting Cloud. Tifa long ago resigned herself to the fact that they were just friends. For a while, they were the only friend the other had. Tifa had some kids she'd play with but they were casual and she never really fit in. Cloud...Cloud was always alone, no matter how close she got. Tifa could do a lot to support those around her, but she couldn't make Cloud feel any less lost or alone.

Jessie apparently could. More than that, she had the will to do it. That was the part that hurt the worst, Tifa thought. After knowing him for all of one evening, Jessie was more than comfortable coming to his apartment and taking what she wanted, and Cloud was apparently game.

The thumping stopped. Tifa looked over at the wall. Right as she let herself breathe a sigh of relief, Jessie's moan came back in a high pitched keening wail and the wall shook harder and faster than before. Nonstop it went as Tifa's childhood friend and unrequited love fucked her friend like a cheap whore.

"Nope." Tifa was out the door before she realized she was moving.

The night air didn't help. This time of year, Midgar was hot and muggy and full of people milling around at all hours, more obnoxious and dangerous as the night went on. "Hey baby!" A man sitting on a railing called out. "How'd you like to make some gil? Maybe you could afford some clothes!"

Beside him, two men laughed. One elbowed him in the side. "Don't say that Phil. I think she looks fine the way she is." The dumb thug puckered his lips and kissed the air. His friends erupted with laughter.

Tifa just stopped in front of them and smiled sweetly. "Would you say you're falling for me?" she asked Phil, leaning forward.

His eyes went right down to the depths of her cleavage. Men's eyes always did. Seeing an opportunity, the mockery left Phil's voice in a hurry. "I, uh...Yeah, you could say that, baby." He ran a hand over a patchy, uneven goatee. "How much?"

"Oh honey..." Tifa sighed before shoving him off the rail. "You couldn't afford me."

It wasn't a large drop. Just eight feet or so, but he landed hard. A weak, breathless moan creaked its way out of his mouth. His friends slipped off the rail instantly, either angry or unwilling to take their own tumble. Tifa raised up, smiling.

"What the fuck!" The third man gaped. "What'd you do that for, you crazy bitch!?" Furious, he whirled on Tiffa, drawing a fist back.

He didn't get a chance to do more than that. Fast as lightning, Tifa stepped in close and threw her elbow into his stomach. He doubled over with a gasp. She slammed her knee up into his nose and whirled around, bringing her heel to the side of his head. He went sprawling and didn't get up.

Tifa turned to the remaining man, fists raised and smiling. "How about you?" she asked.

The man held his hands up. "Naw, I'm good."

"Aaaaand?"

"And..." Realization struck him. "And I'm sorry! We're sorry."

Tifa relaxed. "Good. Don't harass girls late at night." She left him behind, feeling a bit better. At least for a few more seconds. The weak didn't last long in the Midgar slums, and there were few things that made Tifa feel strong like knocking some sense into street scum. Anything she could do to make her community a little bit safer.

People gave her a healthy distance after that. The stragglers out in the middle of the night parted for her. Some muttered, but one girl cheered Tifa on as she passed. A closer look and Tifa noticed it was one of Jessie's roommates, and her mood soured instantly. She pressed on, not caring where she went so long as she stayed on the move.

Inevitably, her aimless walk brought her back to her real home once more. Seventh Heaven was one of the only buildings on the street that looked halfway decent, a fact Tifa took a lot of pride in. It may have been a place for people down on their luck to get hammered for a night and forget about their problems, but that just made it essential in a place like this. Anything to help alleviate the pain of living.

"I guess I could use some of that too," she said to herself. And why not? It was hot, muggy, late, and the man she was...Well, a pick me up wasn't out of order. Tifa jumped straight up, grabbing the lip of the second story and pulling herself up. The good thing about turning her body into a powerful weapon is that she didn't need the keys.

She rolled over the railing of the second story balcony and came up on her feet, feeling the familiar flutter of joy at what she could do. Tifa was a strong, crafty woman and she didn't need a spikey haired blonde close to make her feel better. She could do that on her own, the way she'd been doing since she arrived in Midgar with only the clothes on her back and determination.

Tifa entered the code on the keypad, an abbreviation of the song she was forced to practice on the piano, and was inside. Almost immediately, she felt better. The bar wasn't much, but it was hers. She headed downstairs, ignoring the storage rooms they put upstairs to keep the basement free for Avalanche's use.

Around the next corner, she ran headfirst into something big and solid. Someone. She wasn't alone.

Instinct took over. Tifa thrust her palm out in the center of the chest, knocking the figure back into the dim light of the bar, stepping after and dropping, reading to sweep him to the ground.

"Tifa!" A loud, gruff voice called out mid-swing. "Whoa, stoppit, it's just me!" Barrett growled, backing up and holding up his hands. Or his hand and the simple metal prosthetic he wore when he wasn't gunning down Shinra flunkies.

It was too late to stop, so she let the momentum carry her back up to her feet, stopping with her fists in front of her, guarded. Tifa let her fists drop back to her sides when she saw that it was, in fact, her overbearing friend and leader. "Barrett? What are you doing here?"

"I was jus' gettin' a drink!" His voice softened. "I never sleep right after a mission. You?" Without his gun-arm and sunglasses, Barrett was nowhere near intimidating. He was still six five and made of muscles, but Tifa didn't find him scary. Like this he seemed like an ordinary man, the kind she could easily believe was a tender and loving single father.

"Same," Tifa said, offering a crooked smile. "There's too much noise in my head." She gestured to the bar. Barrett sat down on a stool while the bartender took her place. She grabbed a fresh tumbler, filling it and topping off Barrett's drink.

"Some'a that noise wouldn't happen to be Jessie, would it?" Barrett rumbled. At Tifa's stricken expression he let out a deep belly laugh.

"How'd you know?" Tifa groaned, throwing back her whiskey. She wanted to hide behind her hair, but that would've just made Barrett laugh even harder.

"I got eyes, don't I?" Barrett scoffed. "She was eyefucking that skinny bitch all evenin', and she ain't quiet. The hell you girls see in him? I've seen icicles with more warmth." He tossed his own back. Tifa dutifully poured them both another round.

"He's...He wasn't always this way," said Tifa. Her face burned and she added, "he's always been quiet, but not this cold. I imagine Shinra did that to him. It also gave him the skills and strength to help bring them down."

Barrett nodded, staring down into his drink. "As long as we keep payin' him. He doesn't give a shit about the planet, or even Shinra. What guarantee we got he won't turn on us when that price on our heads gets too high?"

It was a good question, and one Tifa couldn't shake. Seeing him again after so many years brought back so many buried, half remembered feelings, but those distant, mako infused eyes were like a splash of cold water on her. There was still something of the scared, sensitive boy in him. There had to be, for him to come all this way with just a couple of letters. But did Tifa really know Cloud anymore?

Tifa leaned against the bar, resting her cheek on her fist. Putting on a smile she didn't feel, Tifa shrugged. "Me," she said. She raised up her drink and gave him a mock toast. "Whatever Shinra did to him, I believe he's still the person I knew. I won't give up on him, and he won't turn on me. He's not like that." Down went the whiskey.

Barrett let out a low chuckle. "Other than fucking Jessie, you mean."

He didn't get an answer. Tifa's throat closed up. She tried to swallow the lump down, but it was there to stay, making her eyes burn more by the second. No, she wasn't going to react, she wasn't going to react, she --

"Aw, shit," Barrett said, wincing. "I didn't mean nothing by that. It's --"

"Fine," said Tifa, taking a deep breath and forcing a smile on her face. "It's fine. We're just friends. He can have fun with whoever he wants."

Barrett reached out for her hand cautiously, pausing to make sure it was okay before he enclosed her small hand with his massive paw. It was a bit sweaty and rough, but it was warm. It practically radiated heat. He squeezed Tifa's hand. "I'm sorry, Teef. I know how it can be. Bein' lonely, and..." His breath caught in his throat. Barrett cleared it and once more was made of steel. "It's tough."

"I'll get over it," Tifa said. "I'm a tough girl. Besides, I'm way too busy taking care of all of you to worry about dating." The words came automatically. Barrett wouldn't let her go on missions, but she could support them by holding down the fort, keeping her eyes and ears open, and just...Being there. Tifa put her other hand on Barrett's and squeezed it, grateful for the warmth, but he didn't remove it.

Instead, Barrett looked right into her, face twisting in concentration. It was almost like a frown, but Tifa got the impression it wasn't directed at her. Their eyes met, and Tifa froze, breath caught in her throat. His eyes weren't blue or glowing from Mako, but they were bright and big. A warm, welcoming shade of honey brown in his intense, appraising gaze. How had she never noticed before? Right, the sunglasses, and...Tifa let out her breath, heat flooding her cheeks.

"It's not 'bout survivin'," Barrett finally said, voice dropping to what passed for a whisper from him. A low, soothing growl. "It's about livin'. You get too used to survivin' and you end up not being able to enjoy a damned thing. You get to where you're afraid of anything good coming your way, an' you don't trust it. You don't wanna end up like that, Teef. You deserve better than that." And then he released her hand, looking down.

Tifa's heart was in her throat, and her head was spinning. Probably the alcohol. She was tired, drank regularly on her shift, and was now on shot number three. So when her mouth ran away from her again, she just blamed it on that. "Is that what happened to you? Did you just turn to surviving when Marlene's mom died?"

It was Barrett's turn to wince. He pulled his hand back, though it was to take his untouched glass and throw it back, grimacing at the burn. "Yeah," he said, exhaling hard. "Shinra took everything from me, 'cept for Marlene. And revenge," he added, letting out a harsh laugh. "All I got is takin' care of my girl, and bloodying Shinra's nose.

"S'been nearly 5 years." Barrett slid his glass over. Tifa refilled it. He tossed this one back too before shoving the glass away. "In that time, I've done some things I ain't proud of. The need to hurt 'em back, to keep myself busy, to do anything but feel that hurt almos' consumed me. If I didn't have Marlene, it'd be way worse, but that's the thing. You gotta find something to keep yourself sane.

"So yeah," Barrett said, giving Tifa a crooked smile. "I know what it's like, just survivin'. It's not enough. It can't be enough. You gotta find yourself something to make life worth livin', even for a little bit. Don't go holdin' your breath over Spiky, if he's just gonna turn around and bang a hoe like Jessie."

Tifa laughed, and immediately felt bad for it. "Jessie's our friend!" She chastised him.

Barrett held up his hands in surrender, the prosthetic closed while the other was palms up. "Yeah, yeah, she is. She's a bit of a hoe though. Not that there's anythin' wrong with that," Barrett added, laughing. "She knows how to live, and not just survive. Jessie sees something she wants, she goes after it. Maybe you should try that. Forget Spiky. You could have anyone in Midgar you wanted."

Tifa's nose wrinkled in disgust. She shook her head, faking a gag. The room kept spinning after she stopped moving. Yeah, this was the buzz she was after. Warmth filled her, and she let out a laugh. "I've seen the men around the slums. All of them make it pretty clear how much they want me. Enough to make me not want any of them."

Barrett gave a helpless shrug, acknowledging the point. "Okay, yeah, so pickin's a bit slim 'round here. I'm not sayin' you should find the nearest fuckboy and climb on. Just...Keep an eye out. There's bound to be men around here that're good enough. Someone who deserves a fine woman like you."

The words nearly sent Tifa into a gigglefit once more, but the world turned upside down. She clutched the bar for support, taking a deep breath. Barrett cocked his head to the side, and she really looked at him. More warmth bloomed in her chest, spreading across her body. Her heart skipped a beat before thudding hard in her chest. She said the words as soon as they entered her head. "Someone like you?"

Horror washed over her, but it was too late to take them back. Outside of Seventh Heaven, the late night murmur of the slums continued on as ever. Inside, it was silent except for the distant electrical hum of the neon lights behind the bar, the only source of light in the dim room. She ruined it, Tifa realized. She killed the mood, and now it was silent, awkward, and it was way too late to explain, and Tifa would just trip over her words if she did.

The big leader of Avalanche sat up straight. Even sitting, he was as tall as Tifa was standing. Barrett was big, strong, and caring, even if he hid it behind a mask of gruffness and anger. He was a tough, unflappable fighter, and his eyes were wide as he looked at her. Like he was seeing her for the first time. Surprise gave way to a fire she'd seen in his eyes before. Just never when he looked at her. Tifa shivered.

"Mmm," Barrett rumbled, eyes slowly moving up and down. The tips of his lips quirked up, but it wasn't a full smile. He let out a long suffering sigh. "No, not like me. You deserve better."

Her heart was beating faster now. Tifa knew what she looked like. She knew what she worked her ass off to achieve, and what she was naturally blessed with. Tifa wasn't weak, and she wasn't stupid. There was no way Barrett hadn't looked at her before, but she'd never noticed. And he sure as hell hadn't looked at her the way he was now.

"And what about what I want? Do I deserve what I want?" Tifa leaned forward, resting her elbows on the bar. Barrett's eyes immediately dipped down, the same as those assholes earlier. But then his eyes went right back to her eyes, darker than before. That warmth in her stomach flared hot, accompanied by a full body throb; an empty ache.

Barrett leaned forward. There was maybe half a foot between them. The air was charged now, in a way Tifa couldn't remember ever feeling, save for atop the water tower with Cloud. That was tame in comparison. Children sitting together, too scared to even look at each other. Barrett wasn't afraid of looking at her. Barrett actually saw her.

"That depends," Barrett said, wetting his lips. "You sure about what you want, Tifa? You deserve something good. You don't wanna go after poison."

Tifa chuckled. "Barrett? I work in a bar. I sell poison every day. A little bit of poison's a good thing sometimes."

He swallowed hard. His eyes didn't leave hers. "Just a taste?"

She bit her lip. "Just a taste. A little drop of poison won't kill us, will it?"

Barrett reached for Tifa's face, stopping just shy, as if he expected her to recoil away from him. When she didn't, Barrett cupped her cheek. Tifa sighed and leaned into it, closing her eyes. His hand could cover half her head. He could probably crush her skull one handed, but he wouldn't. As angry as he could be, Barrett was a good man, and gentle.

His calloused thumb brushed her cheek, stopping at her lips. Tifa kissed the digit, Soft, slow, but not lingering. She opened her eyes and leaned forward. Barrett met her halfway, pressing his lips against hers gently. It was nothing like the kisses she'd known before.

Barrett was firm, but gentle. His lips were surprisingly soft and brushed up against hers, content to just feel her and taste him. He tasted of sweat, the lingering scent of gun oil, and his own natural, masculine musk. And then his lips parted and sucked on Tifa's own bottom lip gently.

Tifa let out a weak, gentle whimper that had her breaking the kiss. The room was too hot, and it was only heating up. She looked away, touching her finger to her lips and breathing hard.

"Shit. I'm sorry, Teef. If you don't wa --"

She leapt onto the bar, arms windmilling for balance before crouching down and touching the bar itself. It was damp and a bit sticky, but she was about to need a shower anyway. Tifa sat down and scooted forward, her long hair trailing on the bar itself. Slowly, she spread her legs. Another flush of heat filled her as Barrett's eyes dropped down to her skirt, barely hiding her panties.

"No Barrett," said Tifa. She slid off the bar and into the older man's lap. He instinctively slid his prosthetic behind her to steady her and pull her closer. Tifa shifted, comfortable in his lap and as close as she wanted to be. Cupping his cheek, Tifa looked into his warm brown eyes again. There was only concern, and naked desire. So much desire it made her want to squirm. "I want to."

Tifa kissed him again. He started slow, content to draw it out, but Tifa was impatient. She embraced her hunger and attacked his mouth. Barrett paused for all of a second before he crushed her body against his and kissed her back, long and hard and fierce. Each hot, desperate kiss started before the last one was over. The scratch of his beard against her skin was a delightful contrast with the softness of his lips.

His tongue ran along her lower lip. Tifa whimpered, opening her mouth to Barrett and squeezing her legs together around him. Barrett deepened the kiss, growing bolder with each passing second. The brush of his tongue on hers drained her brain. Tifa's eyes clenched shut and she surrendered herself to her lover, arms around his neck and holding on as the world spun around them.

Barrett sucked on her lower lip again. Tifa let out a low, needy moan as her entire body shuddered. Her lower half ground against his lap as if she could somehow get even closer. Barrett froze, her mouth still on his as he let out a growl that turned her insides into molten jelly. His fingers dug into her ass through her skirt. She couldn't help but let out a breathless laugh.

"Do you like that, Boss?" Tifa whispered. She shifted again, grinding her ass against Barrett's crotch. He was getting harder by the second, and she could feel his cock pressing up against her. Just enough to tease her and make her feel what she was about to enjoy. The sheer electrifying thrill of doing something she never thought she would, and going all out. "Do you want me?"