Till There was You

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Karen, I assure you if we had known you were sleeping peacefully in your lover's arms, we would have never invaded your privacy," stated Sarah.

"Jess, I wouldn't have let anyone into your house if I hadn't believed you would be as concerned as we were, or perhaps more so. I know she means a great deal to you," stated Victoria with a smile before adding. "You didn't answer your phone, so we became worried you could have been in the accident with Karen."

Karen and Jess looked at each other before Karen spoke. "We both appreciate how concerned everyone was, but this is extremely embarrassing for us. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. This was our first time together and we didn't want the world to know all about something so special, so intimate."

"If you're suggesting I'm going to be running my mouth, think again," stated Heather firmly. "You're my friend. Jess is Will's brother and pretty much my savior. I'd never deliberately hurt either of you."

"Thanks, Heather," replied Karen. "What I really want to know is why Mom and Grandpa are here? My car was fine a few hours ago, so you couldn't have come all the way from New Jersey because my car was wrecked. You were here already when you learned about it."

Tim Morton, who had remained silent as he listened to the others, decided to speak. "We came down to discuss a private matter with you, as well as to see the progress you've made on phase one. Your mother and I will speak to you privately.

"Right now, I think we need to try to get some rest. It's been a long day and I'm not as young as I once was. Karen, do you want to ride back to the hotel with us, or will you stay here?"

"We both think it's best I catch a ride back to the hotel," admitted Karen. "Tomorrow, or later today, really, I'll need to get a car. I hate that someone apparently stole my Corvette and wrecked it, but they make new ones every day. Something important must have happened to cause you to drive down here on short notice."

It was shortly after noon when Karen joined her mother and grandfather for lunch at the hotel. She had finally managed to catch a few hours sleep after tossing and turning until dawn.

"I know I disappointed you both this morning," began Karen. "I hope you don't think I'm some kind of slut that jumps into bed with every guy who comes along."

"Karen, I assure you I'm not disappointed with you for falling for that young man," assured Sarah. "He certainly is easy on the eye. He's built like a Greek God and his mother and brother are very nice. I'm favorably impressed.

"As you probably know, he was the highest bidder to be awarded a contract. That was because your grandfather and I heard so many good things about him when we looked into his background," revealed Sarah.

"We came down to Florida because your grandfather received an anonymous letter a few days ago and it painted an extremely unflattering and unethical picture of your conduct on this project."

"It was our first time! This is the sixties! Unmarried women have sex," stated Karen sharply. "I refuse to call it immoral or unethical. It was embarrassing to be caught, but quite enjoyable, otherwise."

"Read the letter," stated her grandfather. "I want to know if there's any truth to it."

Karen's face turned red as she studied the letter. She had to admit it was quite damning.

"In a way, it's all true," admitted Karen. "I can't deny sleeping with Jess. You both saw me in his bed. I can't deny I was going to recommend he be given the contract to build phase two.

"I do deny favoring him because I fell in love with him," explained Karen as her mother uttered a small gasp at her admission of love. "I know I sound biased, but he's far and away the best builder of the entire lot. I was going to recommend him because it would be the best thing for your company, Grandpa."

"What about him being a womanizer and just using you to further his goals?" asked her grandfather gently.

"Jess wouldn't do that!" stated Karen firmly. "I didn't just meet him and jump into his bed. I've been watching him, his crew and his results. He knows things about building here in Florida even our architects don't. He's an honorable man and I'm in love with him."

"Did he tell you he was in love with you? Did he ask you to marry him? Has he made any commitment to you?" questioned Tim.

"No, he hasn't. He never said he loves me or he'd like to marry me, but that doesn't mean he's using me. He's just a little shy. He needs time," explained Karen, even as she hoped she was right.

"I think I have away to establish your young man's intentions," announced Sarah. "Here's what I want you to do tomorrow."

Jess Brooks was nervous as a man could be Monday morning when he arrived at the job site. His crew was already working on the last two homes. They were installing the molding and baseboard.

Heather looked at him with a question in her eyes, but Jess just picked up his tools and began working with the crew. Rain had been pouring down since the previous evening and Jess was glad that all the remaining work was indoors.

It was during lunch break when Karen Mathers led an attractive woman and a balding older man into the home. Karen introduced them, not as relatives, but rather as owners of the company.

Tim Morton slowly walked from room to room, checking every detail. He even moved a stepladder so he could look into the attic. Sarah and Karen toured the home as Tim busied himself checking the crew's workmanship.

Eventually, the three people stood in front of Jess and the crew members who had been working in the home.

"You men and women have worked hard and have done a good job," began Karen nervously. "It's greatly appreciated, but our company has decided to not award a contract for the next phase to Brooks Enterprises.

"I wanted to be the one to let you know before I left. I'm being reassigned back to New Jersey. Thank you all, and good bye."

Jess stood in stunned silence for a few seconds as Karen's words sunk in. Once he realized what she was telling them, he stepped in front of Karen.

"That's it? You're leaving? Didn't I mean anything to you? You're washing your hands of this project, and of me?" demanded Jess hotly.

"I know you were expecting to get the contract for the next phase and you're upset, but Mr. Morton has decided otherwise," explained Karen.

"Well fuck the next phase! Fuck Mr. Morton!" cursed Jess much to the surprise of his stunned crew.

Jess continued in a quieter voice. "What about us? Am I so easy to forget? I thought you loved me as much as I love you. Don't do this, Karen. I was going to ask you to marry me."

"Well, "Yes" in that case, I will," responded Karen immediately.

"What do you mean?" asked a thoroughly confused Jess.

"I mean I'll marry you, but aren't you worried about losing the bid for the next phase?" asked Karen as she wrapped her arms around Jess and kissed him long and hard.

"Does he look worried?" asked Heather as she and the entire crew broke into laughter. "Jess can line up jobs for us till the cows come home. That happens when you're the best available builder. It's just too bad your company can't see it."

"The company does see it and wants to contract Brooks Enterprises, not for the next phase, but to build the entire development," stated Tim Morton. "I made that decision as soon as I saw that every damn house here had standing water ready to spill in the front door, with the exception of those your company built.

"I've decided we'll price your homes at $49,000 to $54,000 while those built by the other crews will range from $37,000 to $42,000. We'll have to create a better drainage plan to move the water. You know what? I bet the homes you people built will sell first even with the higher price. I've constructed a lot of houses and know exceptional work when I see it."

"You were right, Mom. Jess didn't worry about the contract. He was only worried about losing me," exclaimed Karen to her mother. "How did you know he felt that way?"

"Don't give your mom too much credit for that," insisted Heather. "She saw how happy you guys were in bed together. It was obvious as heck you two were in love."

"This is Karen's mom?" asked Stan Crane. "Her mom and Mr. Morton, own the development company? She and Heather caught Jess and Karen in bed together? Karen was Bogarting us?

"The boss actually caught Jess in bed with her daughter?" repeated an amazed Stan. "Just now, Jess yelled "Fuck Mr. Morton," while standing in front of Mr. Morton! Then he was immediately awarded a big contract from Morton himself? Don't try this shit at home, boys and girls!"