Tip of the Spear Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm glad," she said. "Now, fill me up, my husband. Let me make love to you." She continued until he climaxed inside her and kept going until her orgasm hit. They lay in the bed, holding each other tight.

"Did you enjoy that?" she asked.

"I did. Very much. Want to know why?" he asked.

"Why?"

"Because you did it for me," he said.

"Do you ever think of her when you're with me?" she asked.

"Nope," he said. "I told you. I haven't thought about her since that first day on the road."

"You have no idea how much I love you, Ryan," she said. "I'll do whatever it takes to keep you happy. You said that Ecuadorian women are known to be strong-minded, loyal and faithful to their life partners. Well guess what, cowboy? They've got nothing on this Texas girl."

"I know," he said. "And that's just one of the reasons why I'm so much in love with you. You make me so very happy."

"I'm glad, sweetheart," she said. "And you've made me the happiest woman alive." They held each other tight as they fell asleep.

...

9:00 am, Wednesday, October 6, 2021

"You ready to head out? Got everything you need?" Ryan asked Thomas.

"Yeah, we got everything," Thomas said. "Ron was able to remove the wireless adapter from her tablet. My people will go through it and forward any information to you."

"Good," Ryan said. "You set on the plan?"

"Yeah. I'll follow you to the airport. No lights or sirens." Ryan looked in the back of the dark SUV.

"You set to go, Mercedes?" he asked.

"I'm set, Ryan," she said.

"Alright, let's go," Ryan said before heading to his truck. They left the Sheriff's Department and made their way to the airport, watching for anything that could potentially be trouble. Nothing happened, and Ryan headed for the hangar where Thomas said the private jet would be located. When they got there, Thomas opened the back door and the two men escorted her to the steps leading into the aircraft.

"I guess this is where we part ways," Ryan told Mercedes before she went up the stairs. "You still have your badge?"

"Of course," she said. "I take it everywhere. It was good to see you again, Ryan."

"It was good to see you as well, Mercedes," he said. "Maybe after this is all over, you can come back and have dinner with us."

"I would like that very much," she said. "You know, I have thought about you many times over the years. I often wondered how things would've turned out if..."

"You don't need to say any more, Mercedes," Ryan said. "I understand. I've thought about you a lot as well. I promised I would never forget you and I haven't." She smiled at him before wrapping her arms around his neck. She kissed him on the cheek before stepping back.

"Beverly is a good woman," she said. "She loves you very much."

"Yes, she is. And I love her just as much," he told her.

"I know," Mercedes said. "At least we'll always have Colombia, no?" she asked with a smile.

"Always, Mercedes," Ryan said. "Take care of yourself. Stay in touch. Promise?"

"I promise," she said before entering the plane. Ryan turned and saw Thomas.

"You take good care of her, you hear me?" he asked.

"I will, Sheriff," he said. "And I'll see to it that she stays in touch with you and Beverly."

"I'd appreciate that very much," Ryan said.

"I'll be seeing you," Thomas said. The two men shook hands and Ryan watched as the hatch was closed. He got into his truck and headed out, stopping long enough to watch the aircraft climb into the sky.

...

9:00 am, Monday, October 18, 2021

The courtroom was packed as the jury selection process began for what was billed as the trial of the century. At least in Hard Rock, Texas. Protesters had already gathered in front of the courthouse, some carrying signs demanding that Trudy Higgins and the two Rodgers kids be hung.

Ryan anticipated this and prepared for the situation with extra deputies. Officers with the Texas Department of Public Safety, or DPS, were also on hand to help keep the peace.

Inside the courtroom, Jake and his legal team put their notes together and quietly spoke with each other and their clients. On the other side of the courtroom, District Attorney Marvin Olmstead and two of his associates did the same.

Most of those seated inside the room were prospective jurors. Because of the nature of the case and Bertram's popularity, the jury pool was considerably larger, giving the two sides more candidates from which to choose. Both sides knew the selection would not be easy, and they prepared themselves for the daunting task.

One by one, jury candidates were selected and questioned by both sides. Most of the candidates questioned were rejected by one side or the other. According to the state code of criminal procedure, each side was allowed 24 peremptory challenges, since there were three defendants and the District Attorney was seeking the death penalty.

On top of that, some of the jury candidates were disqualified for various reasons -- two of them had difficulty hearing, for example. Another had been declared mentally incompetent a few months earlier and three others faced charges of misdemeanor theft.

It took two and a half days to seat a full jury panel. Each day, Jake filed a motion for change of venue, but the judge dismissed it. It was 2 pm on Wednesday when the final juror was seated. Everyone else was dismissed and the panel was sworn in. Marvin asked that the jury be sequestered for the duration of the trial. Jake objected, but the judge agreed with the DA.

The rest of the day was spent arranging for accommodations at a nearby motel. Jurors were allowed to pack a suitcase and enough clothing for a full week.

For the next several days, both teams of attorneys argued their cases. Marvin worked from a much stronger position, but Jake and his team gave as good as they got. The two sides grilled witnesses, argued over evidence and made various motions and counter-motions. At one point, Jake objected when Marvin presented the video of Ginger telling Jeremy about the planned execution.

"You Honor, this amounts to hearsay and should be rejected," he said. "There is absolutely no proof whatsoever that Mrs. Higgins ever discussed such a thing with Ms. Rodgers."

"Sustained," the judge said after a few moments. "The jury is instructed to disregard the statements made on the video." But Marvin and Jake both knew it would be impossible for the panel to unsee or unhear what had been presented in court.

Marvin then announced that he had a witness who would testify, but only on video and in closed court. According to Marvin, this witness was in an undisclosed secure location due to threats made against her life. Jake objected, but Marvin argued the testimony was crucial. The judge wanted to hear what this witness had to say, so he cleared the courtroom. A monitor was set up and a secure connection made.

Soon, the blurred face of a woman came on the screen. Identified only as "MG," the woman told the court about MMAS, the sisterhood that followed it and her assignment to monitor Trudy, Ginger and Jeremy. The jury was shocked when "MG" told them about the various methods the organization used to control their targets.

By then, Marvin had received the toxicology report from the autopsy done on Bertram. In addition to the chemical substance found on the spear, the report indicated that Bertram had been given small but steady doses of another compound, which was said to reduce the victim's willpower while emasculating him.

After nearly ten days, both sides gave their closing arguments and rested their cases. Seeing the late hour, the judge adjourned court for the day.

9:00 am Thursday, October 28, 2021

With both sides finished, the judge turned his attention to the jury and issued their instructions. He explained some of the finer points of the law and encouraged them to ask if they had any questions. Once finished, he instructed them to leave the courtroom for their deliberations.

Everyone waited on pins and needles, although Marvin was fairly convinced the jury would see things his way. He wasn't all that concerned when the jury hadn't come back with a verdict that day. In a case as complex as this, he expected it would take a few days anyway.

The jury finally came back with a verdict the next afternoon. No one was surprised when Trudy, Ginger and Jeremy were found guilty on all charges. The three of them began sobbing as they heard the verdicts read.

Marvin immediately stood up and offered his motion that Trudy and her two accomplices be declared domestic extremists in accordance with the Enhanced Patriot Act. The judge looked at the motion, then addressed Marvin.

"I will take this under consideration and give you my decision on Monday," he said. "Sentencing is set for 9:00 am, Monday, November 8," he added. "Court is adjourned." The courtroom emptied and Marvin walked to Jake, his hand extended. Jake accepted and the two men shook hands.

"Congratulations, Marvin, you may just get your pound of flesh after all," Jake said.

"I thought you had me a time or two there. Look, it's been a rough couple weeks, Jake. Why don't we go grab a beer and relax for a bit?" Marvin offered.

"What the hell," Jake said. "You're buying, though. For all of us." Marvin smiled.

"My pleasure. It's the least I can do." They left the courtroom and walked to a small bar not far from the courthouse.

...

"So, they were found guilty," Victoria said as she regarded her American friend over the video messaging application.

"Yes," Allison said.

"Does that mean they get the death penalty, then?" Victoria asked.

"Not necessarily," Allison told her. "There's the sentencing phase. That's set for November 8."

"Do we need to dispatch a clean-up crew?" Victoria asked.

"Might not be a bad idea to get one ready. Let's see what happens on Monday. If the judge declares them domestic extremists, chances are they'll get the needle," Allison said.

"Alright. We'll do it your way. This time," Victoria said. "I never offered my condolences for MG. I know she meant a lot to you. I'm sure your decision to terminate her was a difficult one."

"It was," Allison said. "She meant a lot to me. A lot of time and effort was invested in her. But it had to be done." Victoria nodded her head.

"I understand," she finally said. "Keep me informed."

"Will do," Allison said, closing the connection.

...

9:00 am, Monday, November 1, 2021

Marvin and Jake stood in the courtroom as the judge prepared to issue his ruling. The judge looked at both of them before proceeding.

"I want you to know, Counselor, I take no pleasure in issuing this ruling," the judge told Jake. "The fact is, your clients meet all the requirements to be named domestic extremists under the provisions of the Enhanced Patriot Act. Therefore, I have no choice but to rule in favor of the District Attorney's motion."

"I understand, Your Honor," Jake said. The judge looked at Marvin.

"I gather that you'll be seeking the death penalty under the EPA as well?" the judge asked.

"Yes, Your Honor," Marvin said. The judge nodded his head. Although he supported the death penalty when it was necessary, he didn't like the fact that the new EPA eliminated appeals and required expedited executions, even in cases handled at the state level.

Unfortunately, the Supreme Court had not yet issued a ruling on the new EPA, so the judge's hands were tied.

"Alright," the judge said. "I'll see you next Monday."

"Thank you, Your Honor," Marvin said.

...

"I just saw it on the local news website," Allison said as she looked at Victoria's blurred face on her monitor. "The judge issued his ruling today. Higgins and her two contractors are as good as dead."

"Good," Victoria said. "That means we can put this whole nasty business behind us and move on."

"Pretty much," Allison said. "They still need to be sentenced. That happens next Monday. Under the new EPA, if they're sentenced to death, it has to be carried out almost immediately, with no appeals."

"Monitor the situation, keep me informed," Victoria said.

"Yes, ma'am," Allison said.

"And from now on, you will report directly to me," Victoria said. "There will be no more of these 'experiments' of yours. Too much is at stake. I want you to focus on research and development. At least for the time being. Do you understand?"

"Yes... Mistress," Allison said quietly. Victoria smiled.

"Very good. I'm glad you understand," she said. "The time may come, however, when I will need you to return to your homeland to pave the way for the Sisterhood there."

"I am at your service, Mistress," Allison said.

"Right," Victoria said. "Carry on, then." Victoria ended the connection, leaving Allison to wonder about her future.

...

9:00 am, Monday, November 8, 2021

The courtroom filled up again as the sentencing phase of the Higgins trial was set to begin. Oddly enough, very few people took notice of the strange man with the scarred, clean-shaven face and the eye patch in the back of the room. Everyone stood as the judge entered the courtroom, and assumed their seats when he gave the word.

For the next hour, everyone listened as witnesses came forward to argue for the death penalty. A few were close friends of the Commissioner, but some were family members who felt no mercy for Trudy or her two accomplices. The most gut-wrenching testimony came from Brian, Trudy's son, who told the court that the woman in front of them might have his mother's name, but that was all. Trudy broke down sobbing after hearing her son condemn her so publicly.

"I will retire to my chambers for a bit to consider all I have heard," the judge said. Everyone stood when he did and sat back down when the door to his chamber closed. No one saw the federal agent who shadowed the judge as he entered his chamber.

"Who are you? What are you doing in my chambers?" the surprised judge asked when he saw the agent.

"Special Agent Thomas Jackson, Your Honor. Homefront Security Task Force," Thomas said as he held his credentials.

"Homefront Security Task Force," the judge said. "Figures. What do you want, Agent Jackson?"

"Your Honor, I'm here to ask you to reconsider the death penalty," Thomas said. "This is a matter of national security. Those three individuals can help us bring down the organization responsible for Commissioner Higgins' death."

"You want me to let them walk? Free?" the judge asked.

"No, Your Honor," Thomas said. "I'm asking that you release them into my custody. They won't go free. Sentence them to life and I assure you they'll remain locked up from now on. But they have information that is crucial to the task force."

"Look, young man. Did you see that crowd in front of my courthouse? Did you see those people in the courtroom? Did you hear what was said here today?" the judge asked.

"Yes, Your Honor, I did. And I sympathize with them. But we're talking about something much larger here," Thomas said.

"Wait a minute. I remember you. Weren't you working with Sheriff Caldwell on this?"

"Yes, I was, Your Honor," Thomas said.

"Does he know you're here?" the judge asked.

"No, Your Honor, he doesn't. And I prefer he not know."

"Look, Agent Jackson. I understand what you're trying to do here. But you have to remember, I have to answer to those people out there. And not just on election day. I live here. I have to face these people day in and day out. I'm afraid I can't do what you're asking. The schedule has already been set. It's out of my hands. Now, please leave my chambers before I have to call the bailiff," the judge said.

"Yes, Your Honor," Thomas said. "I'm sorry to have bothered you." He left the judge's chambers and shook his head slightly. The man with the eye patch nodded his head and stood up. He pulled his phone out of his pocket as he walked out of the court room. A few minutes later, the judge came back in.

"I've made my decision," he said after ordering everyone to sit. "Will the defendants please rise?" Trudy, Ginger and Jeremy stood up. Jake and his team of lawyers stood with them. The judge looked at them for a few moments before speaking.

"The last few weeks have been pretty hard on all of us. During this trial, I have been exposed to some of the most horrific and degrading things I have ever witnessed in my entire life," he said. "And I hope to never witness them again. Trudy Higgins, Ginger Rodgers and Jeremy Rodgers -- you have been found guilty of all the charges against you. In addition, you have been found to be domestic extremists under the Enhanced Patriot Act.

"Therefore, it is my duty under the law to sentence the three of you to death. You are to be immediately taken from this court room and transported to the Texas State Penitentiary at Huntsville, where you will be put to death in a manner proscribed by law at 6:15 pm Wednesday, November 10, 2021. And may God have mercy on your souls," he said. "Court is adjourned," he added, bringing his gavel down.

Trudy, Ginger and Jeremy trembled as they collapsed into their seats. The rest of the court room erupted in cheers and howls of approval. Sheriff's deputies came and took the three convicts away. Ryan and Ray watched the proceedings as they sat behind Marvin.

"Well, I guess that's it," Marvin said as he turned to face them.

"Yeah," Ryan said. "I guess it is."

"You going to witness the executions?" Marvin asked.

"Reckon I have to," Ryan said quietly. "You wanna tag along?" he asked Ray. "I could use the company. It's an eight-hour drive there, at least. You won't be able to witness the execution, though."

"You driving?" Ray asked, surprised.

"Yeah," Ryan said. "After all this, I could use some time on the open road, and I hate going through airports." Ray laughed at that.

"Alright," he said. "Let me tell the wife."

"I'll be leaving early Wednesday morning. I'll pick you up if you want. Spend the night there then come back Thursday morning," Ryan said.

"Sounds like a plan," Ray said.

...

6:45 pm, Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Ryan watched with the other witnesses as Trudy Higgins, Jeremy and Ginger Rodgers were put to death by lethal injection. It was not an experience any of them wanted to repeat. From what they were told by the warden, there had not been a multiple execution in one day in Texas since 2000 -- more than 20 years earlier.

Ryan accepted notarized true copies of the death certificates and the two of them left the facility. When Ryan opened the door of his truck, he saw a large white van with the back open. Something about the van didn't seem quite right to him. He pulled his binoculars from the truck and looked.

The first thing he noticed was the van had U.S. Government plates, not Texas plates. He watched as three body bags were loaded into the back. Why would a federal vehicle be used to transport remains, he wondered.

As he watched, he saw Special Agent Thomas Jackson climb into the back of the van and close the doors. What the hell is going on, he asked himself. After the van pulled away, he pulled his phone from his pocket and called Jackson's number.

"Jackson," Thomas said when he answered. Ryan could hear the noise of the van's engine in the background.

"Sheriff Caldwell," Ryan said.

"Ryan! How are you? I take it you witnessed the execution," Thomas said.

"Yes, I did," Ryan said.

"So, what can I do for you?" Thomas asked.

"You can start by explaining why a U.S. Government van would be used to transport the remains of three convicts who were just executed," Ryan said. "And you can explain why you're with them."

"I'm sorry, Sheriff, that's strictly need-to-know," Ryan said. "And frankly, you don't need to know."

"Like hell I don't," Ryan said. "I think you owe me an explanation."

"For what? You and your town got your justice, your pound of flesh. You saw the execution. You saw them declared dead. I also know you even have certified copies of the death certificates. What else do you need?"