TOPF - Trials (1975)

Story Info
Persephone Finnegan attends Vampire court and has to fight.
4.9k words
4.5
311
1
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Outlaw Persephone Finnegan

The hall Persephone sat in had to be the most interesting court hall she had found herself in. The hall itself was an addition to the Justiciar Ebba's already palatial estate, from the outside the hall she sat within dwarfed much of the outside structure but blended into the rest of the building's Georgian aesthetic. Within however the hall had been made to resemble a modern interpretation of a viking's long hall.

The hall was long with a large Dias, sat at the back holding three thrones, a grander one for the Justiciar, Ebba, and two less ornate ones for her left and right hand's, Jehan Garreau and Dina El Khoury respectively. In front of the dias sat the seating area, for the court's vampires, long benches lined the walls on the bottom floor with wooden tables in front, holding glasses of blood and an array of weapons brought by the occupants.

One table even having a human whole laid across being held in trance and fed from by multiple vampires intermittently. The wooden walls were lined with old tapestries and circular shields. While the shields came in many different colour combinations the tapestries however where all muted colours, preserved in time depicting battles from Ebba's day, the battle of Holme and Assandun taking up much of the space, two great victories for the great heathen army, however a more sombre one was the battle of Edington, not just the monumental defeat of the Danish forces, but the battle where Ebba had lost her human life and started her new immortal one.

Going above the hall, a seating section wrapped around the second floor, overlooking the main hall and the dias. This floor amongst the roofs arches was for any supernatural other than a vampire who needed to petition the court, usually local witches or someone from the werefox pack mostly looking to provide or gain information. It also had a section in the middle for thralls and fledglings who had been brought by their vampiric masters. This floor sat mostly empty today, three thralls sat talking amongst themselves, the section directly above Persepone didn't sound like anyone was sitting amongst it, but her view was obscured.

Persephone found even the smell of the court was pleasant, while most seemed stained with the smell of rust and copper, the hall seemed to hold a smoky note, the fire pit that sat in front of the dias, currently not lit had perfumed the hall with a soothing burnt oak smell, with a slight hint of lavender incense.

Ebba had founded the court during the years of the Danelaw, and as a norse vampiress herself. The Justiciar of the court was a statuesque woman with blonde hair kept mostly up in a hill surrounded by two thick braids. She stood north of six foot with broad muscled shoulders developed over years of continuous fighting in her mortal life which only flowed down into subtle but appealing curves hidden behind the tanned leather armour she wore, a ceremonial piece inlaid with bone and runes representing her mortal life and accomplishments in her vampiric one. The most notable and Persephone found appealing feature of hers was the numerous runic tattoos and scars that littered her bare arms.

She had fought to ensure the boundaries of her land matched the Danelaw she grew up in and had dealt with numerous attacks from the London court to the south. This reflection of the old country did not stop at its borders or its hall but most of the courts traditions had basis in the Danelaw, meaning that while most courts held open days, or réunions, Ebba's court held "things", and while most courts expected vampires to be more quiet and reserved when witnessing such events, Ebba encouraged loud brash behaviour, indulgences in her own nostalgia, which meant all of the vampires in court had to make their opinions known on sentences and requests put to the court. While Persephone had found this entertaining at first, it did little to hide the monotony of the event and ultimately seemed a performance put on for an overly nostalgic ruler.

Currently the court was seeking a new appointment for the area, a new diplomat for the Enlise council and one for dealing with the Fae. Persephone sat with her bloodline, her partner Isabella to her left, and Alexander her Sire, and Palladius her bloodling to her right. The family had relocated into the area two months prior following the renovation of Alexanders, Musil hall outside of York. Alexander had flown into the country before the rest to put in their request to relocate into the area, and his prior relationship with Ebba made it a relatively painless affair. Persephone reached over grabbing her glass to take a long drink of the carmine liquid, her own dark leather pants letting out a sigh with the movement.

Turning as she continued to drink the liquid she reclined back into the bench and let her eyes wander over the crowd. The court was made up of multiple old bloodlines like her own with many families seeming to have congregated in the area, this meant relative to a lot of the courts in Europe, the Danelaw had quite a lot of ancient vampires, and they stood out. While most in attendance had made an attempt to adapt to human fashions to better blend in, Isabella's cream flared pants and white halter top being a testament to this. Most of the ancient vampires had taken to wearing clothes more reminiscent of their times, a lot of plain tunics and trousers, some old gowns, she had spotted one robe similar to one Alexander owned himself.

This all served to make it more amusing to herself the outfit her Sire was sitting in. Alexander was sat next to her in a tight pair of blue jeans, cutting close to his figure, a denim shirt sat over a white t shirt, the sleeves rolled up exposing the corded muscle in his arms, and his usually long caramel coloured hair cut closer to his head, sitting slightly shaggy, just enough to cover the pointed tips of his ears. She may have said she enjoyed the fashion of the era, being much less restrictive and more expressive than that of her own, but Palladius had taken a liking to God awful shell suits, it was enough to turn the blood in her stomach and wish a swift end to the Fashion of this era.

Her own outfit stood out more amongst her bloodline and being the youngest by far this was a feat, however her outfit of the day was more for utility, black leather pants and heavy black boots covered her lower half. On top she had worn a loose black leather jacket currently resting on the back of the bench and her top was a simple white tank top. The outfit was designed to not look out of place on her ride here a black and white Kawasaki motorbike, while a fall from it would ultimately do little to her, a young woman riding country roads on a bike in a crop top and flared pants was bound to attract some unneeded attention.

The crowd around her let out a shout, with plenty of drumming on the table following the successful appointment of a large bald vampire, the man looked like he had been more beast than man in life, which may be to his advantage dealing with the fae. Soon the room was silenced by a gesture from Dinah and rising from a bench on the other side of the hall a vampire marched to the Dias pulling along another. The man looked to be in his forties when he was turned, the short black hair having greyed at the temples and his outfit looking to be similarly aged, a wrinkled check shirt sat tucked into black trousers with a few holes in the bottom hem. The girl he dragged behind him stood out though, she looked to be in her early twenties, and was so young in vampire years she was still visibly breathing.

Her outfit was simple, a flared pair of blue jeans and a white blouse that had been saturated in dirt and blood, the rest of the girls figured being similarly soiled. She was a newborn. Under the dirt the girl seemed pretty enough, short black hair sat matted to her head, and while most of her own vampiric features where on fullview, the bright purple tone her eyes had taken complimented the girls face well, what disturbed Perspehone the most was the fear etched onto her face. Her own presentation had been eventful, but she was fully prepared for it having been given a month after regaining her senses from the rebirth before she was required in court. This time had been spent learning how to control herself somewhat in company and the etiquette required of the Louisiana court. This girl hadn't even been washed since she was turned, seemingly left to wallow in filth for however long she was feral and then brought before the court immediately after recovering.

They both approached the dias, the man giving a formal bow and soon after being acknowledged to begin by Ebba who had not masked the disgust clear on her face.

"Justiciar, Dinah, Jehan. Thank you for allowing me to approach the court and for the honour of.." The man's thick italian accent was interrupted by Ebba giving a heavy tap of the signet ring on her finger to the wood of the throne, a sign to hurry up. Clearing his throat unnecessarily the man continued.

"Right, I come to present my newest Childe. What's your name again?" He looked to the girl for confirmation who stood in shock, confused at the proceedings, she replied meekly.

"Kathleen." He gave her no acknowledgement.

"Kathleen. I wish for her to be accepted amongst the court. She was born in Leeds and reborn in Leeds.." Ebba took in the pair for a moment, her eyes spending longer on the girl. Ebba did not answer his request right away.

"Kathleen, do you know where you are?" Her face held no emotion now, the disgust before hidden behind a stoic facade. A facade the girl had not mastered.

"No, sorry, I just woke up and he, he brought me here."

"Has he explained to you what we are, what you are now?" The girl, Kathleen looked around taking in the figures and sat along the benches in the hall, taking this time herself to look around Persephone noted that most in the hall either seemed bored or equally as outraged as she found herself, Isabella to the side of her had placed her hand on Persephone's thigh and her grip was tense.

To give zero preparation to your childe and to present them to court in this state was setting them up for failure. Most justiciars would place the blame on the Sires head correctly, but also hold the childe responsible for their actions as well and such a failure of etiquette so early on could ostracise them from court before they have even truly begun. Kathleen, seemingly finished with her view, responded.

" No, I woke up covered in blood though and I can't remember anything, the last I remember was.." She turned to her Sire, who looked at her with mixed boredom and contempt. He quickly interrupted.

"We haven't had a chance to discuss the finer points of her new life chief, she spent far too long feral and I felt it inappropriate to delay her presentation." Ebba sneered at this response.

"I find, Vincenzo, that everything about this presentation is inappropriate. Having taken an extra day to explain to your childe what she is and let her have a bloody bath would, I assure you have done less to earn my ire." Turning back to Kathleen Ebba continued.

"You are a vampire child, you must walk in night and drink blood to survive, the man who has brought you here before us has begun your transition upon your mortal death. This is a court of vampires, you are welcome here by right of birth and rebirth." Persephone was glad Ebba had accepted the girl but Kathleen just seemed more shaken, further retreating into a scared and cracked shell before Vincenzo continued.

"Excellent chief. One more matter, I intend on leaving the area, having been given the right to reside in London. I intend to forfeit my rights to my Childe and hope that the court may find an appropriate mentor for her." The request had broken the silence of the court, many of the attendants broke into jeers, loud shouts denouncing the man before them who truly must have been the bravest, and most idiotic vampire in creation.

The banging and shouting only served to make Kathleen even more skittish, her new instincts taking over and leaving her ready to either fight or flight. Persephone took Isabella's hand from her thigh and held it, trying to soothe her partners and her own anger at the proceedings. For a Sire to abandon their Childe, the first day they had returned to themselves, was unheard of even in the Satanic courts, no Childe would be expected to survive on their own. Ebba and Jehan appeared to be a mirror for the court's rage, even the usually stoic Dinah had a slight sneer.

"Vincenzo, you intend to create and leave your childe, to our care while you run off. Let me inquire why you aren't taking your childe with you."

"Simply, they haven't given her the right to move chief. I did not intend to turn this one but alas, here we are. I must be in London by Friday to introduce myself to Alastiars court so I do not have time to get her approved. Nor does she seem particularly worth the hassle." Jehan responded before Ebba could

"And why did you create this one if you seem so eager to disregard her." Vincenzo paused before responding.

"Heat of the moment, it seemed a wise idea in the middle of passion but she's already proven far too much hassle to consider further." Ebba signalled for the court to silence and it did, the tension hung thick in the air. Ebba rose from her throne and strode to the edge of the dias looking directly down to the two vampires.

"This display has been a disgrace, and should you not be intending to leave my court, I would remove you from it myself. You understand that should we not be able to find a mentor for her she will be staked and placed in a crypt until one can be available." Vincenzo simply nodded and Kathleen was trying to sneak looks around the rooms, clearly looking for exits, her eyes shooting wide at the comment. Ebba continued.

"Calm child, you won't be harmed. I can not offer you the same assurance Vincenzo." Turning to hall and all in attendance, Ebba's voice echoed through the hall, as if it had been engineered specifically to carry her voice throughout.

"Does anyone wish to challenge this decision and the behaviour of this vampire?" Multiple vampires began to discuss amongst themselves, weighing the pros and cons of such a decision. Ebba was offering the chance to duel this vampire, and choosing your own stakes.

For him to disregard any challenge would be dire politically especially in his new court which was far more barbaric in its approach. Obviously the con would be a loss itself, something that would be looked down upon by all in the court as a failure of the vampire to express Ebbas clear will. A victory however not only would secure some status and respect within the court, potentially even so far as earning a boon from Ebba herself, it also allowed one to take this pathetic vampire for all he was worth and punish the vile behaviour he exhibited. Squeezing Isabella's hand Persephone rose from her bench finishing the blood from her glass in one long pull and responded.

" I wish to challenge the vampire, Magnate." Whispers broke out amongst the court, her own bloodline remaining quiet, Vincenzo looked bored, like he had expected the proceedings to go south. Ebba however clearly looked pleased with the challenge and use of her preferred title. Ebba was the first to respond.

"Then step forward and state your challenge."

Persephone stepped out from the benches and approached the dias coming to stop next to Kathleen, bowing her head to Ebba as she began.

"I think everyone here, frankly, is disgusted by the behaviour witnessed from Vincenzo. The lack of respect for your position or the duty of being a Sire have left the majority of us here ready for the opportunity to, express our dissatisfaction." A few cheers and hushed agreements came from around the crowd behind her, it was easy to express her disgust with the male vampire because while it was true his disrespect had infuriated her and clearly the rest of her bloodline.

The opportunity to take the cue from the Justiciar and show her prowess to all the vampires of the court was one that could not be passed up, furthering the standing of her family was each members main priority for the coming years, Alexander truly seemed adamant about making this area the bloodlines seat of power following the fall of Louisiana proper. Continuing as the noise from the crowd quietened down.

"My challenge is simple, I am willing to put three holdings of mine on the line, one in Louisiana, one in Texas and one in New York. I would also wager five hundred thousand pounds. The liquid value total being at around two million. Should he best me and incapacitate me in a duel the estates and the money are his, they can be transferred within the month. Should he be incapacitated I would expect him to transfer properties, items or money to an equivalent value to the progeny he is failing. I assume you can match the figure?" Turning to Vincenzo, both vampires locked eyes for the first time, the bored expression he had tried to hold all evening cracking slightly to let his anger and annoyance at the challenge and the jabs show through. Ebba continued as tradition dictated with challenges such as this.

"Certainly no small amount of money, but I believe Vincenzo you do have enough in real estate and business investments, can this be liquidated within thirty days to match the challenge? Or would you rather refuse the challenge, as is your right?" The smug look on Ebbas face made it clear, he did not have the ability to refuse the challenge. The London court he wished to transfer to was a brutal one, the vampires ran on very old bloodlaw that would not allow a weak or cowardly vampire to survive, and his behaviour this evening ensured that he would not be remaining in the Danelaw court.

"Yes I accept the challenge, however I would raise the stakes for the foolish wretch challenging me. I would place my entire estate on the line, it would be a rough estimate but I'd assume it to be around four million. I would also have us fight to the death not incapacitation, why waste our time having a little squabble if no one here will get a true show." The court vampires seemed torn on how to react, the usually boring administrative meeting that needed to be conducted once a year with all present had suddenly become very interesting and potentially very deadly for one of the vampires at the dias. Ebba turned back to Perspehone.

"Do you accept these terms, and can you match the new amount?" Persephone turned slightly making eye contact with her Sire, she would happily take the challenge, but wouldn't be able to match the funds alone. Wordlessly Alexander gave his assent with a nod and Persephone turned back to the dias, Vincenzo clearly having noticed the motion and was unhappy at the development.

"Yes Magnate, I accept the stakes. I would ask that the duel is with swords and that we only use our strength and speed, no other powers. If that is agreeable," Ebba and Persephone both turned to Vincenzo, Kathleen still in the middle of them, and thankfully having stayed quiet. The girl showed more sense than her Sire.

"I agree to the challenge and will take pleasure in my last action in this pathetic court being the destruction of some jumped up baby vampire who thinks they can throw their weight around for easy clout. Clear the floor, I intend to wrap this up quickly". Walking back to where he had been sat Persephone grabbed Kathleen's arm and guided her along back to where her bloodline was, speaking to the dark haired girl as she walked.

"You've done well so far, I'll deal with this then we can work out the best way forward for you."

"Why are you helping me?" Turning to Kathleen, Persephone noted the distrust in her eyes. She definitely had more sense than her Sire.

12