Traditions

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When Steve recited the tale to Claire, she seemed to be aware of the offer form the elders, but Dianne's inclusion left her shocked and she began crying.

"I never thought she would consider that, this is all too much. I won't do it Steve. This all needs to stop."

Steve felt a wave of relief, at last some acceptance that this whole scenario was just bizarre.

"Thank God for that, I can't tell you how relived I am, I thought this was going to be the end of us."

Claire cried and spent much of the night either apologising or reiterating how much she loved Steve. Things remained awkward and tentative, Steve still struggling with Claire's previous intentions and view that the arrangement was reasonable.

Dianne returned on Friday clearly furious about Claire's revised decision, accusing Steve of being a controlling bully and an outsider who could never understand.

Steve had had enough of the ranting, "Why don't you just be honest Dianne and admit this is just a way for you to fuck about on your husband?"

Dianne was apoplectic, "Ok if you want the truth, we have a wonderful time. A fit young stud in our beds with a nice hard cock, doing exactly what we say, when we say its a dream come true. We give them everything repeatedly and everyone in the Fraser family is hung like a horse. It's thrilling and they can't get enough of us. Is that what you want to believe?"

Claire moaned, "Jesus mum shut up you're not helping."

Steve laughingly replied, "Don't stop her; it's the most honest thing I've heard her say."

Dianne looked like she was about to say more but Claire stopped her in her tracks asking her to leave and not to come back until she had accepted her decision. It was the first time Steve had ever seen Claire stand up to Dianne; he couldn't tell who was in greater shock as Dianne stormed out.

Things remained difficult for the next few weeks. Claire kept apologised for ever considering the arrangement and for ever asking Steve to accept it. She had gotten wrapped up in the tradition by her mum and never really through the implications. Steve was in a dilemma about travelling to the city for work, he couldn't put it off any longer but the idea of leaving Claire on the Island left him in state of trepidation. Claire could sense his anxiety and insisted she travel with him and that she could take time off work. The rift with her mum had widened, they weren't speaking and Claire never mentioned the tradition again.

After a lot of deliberation and angst, Steve decided he needed to trust Claire and travel alone. Claire attempted again to convince Steve she could travel with him, but he knew she was in the middle of a major marketing proposal and needed the time to prepare. Claire promised daily calls and frequent contact.

Steve travelled to London, the combination of ferry, taxis, train and underground tube left him tired as he finally collapsed on the hotel bed at 9pm. He phoned Claire, she answered quickly and they exchanged details of his trip and what had changed in the city during a long call. London was a never ending stream of building work. After the call Steve fell immediately to sleep, exhausted.

He had a busy few days with work but felt refreshed, being off the island helped clarify his thoughts. He started thinking through his relationship with Claire and replaying some of their conversations in his mind. The person who was so keen on a tryst with a younger man seemed so far removed from the woman he married and the caring mother of his children. He felt Dianne had far too much influence on her and was pleased they had argued, she had gone too far and hopefully that would end the matter. Still he couldn't reconcile Claire's actions and why she had been so absolute in her confidence that the arrangement would not affect their relationship, those comments continued to niggle at him.

Steve froze, suddenly remembering the trees planted on his property in the previous spring. Claire had travelled to the island regularly throughout the previous year. He experienced a feeling of dread as he considered who might have planted the trees. Perhaps she fought so hard for it this time around as she needed to justify previous actions.

He phoned Claire and again she answered quickly.

Steve began, "Does Jake Fraser have an older brother?"

There was a pause before Claire casually answered' "Yeah, I think so."

"You think so, even though your families go back generations?"

There was a longer pause then, "Yes Steve, he has a brother named Glen."

Steve continued, "Is he about 19 years old?"

Again hesitation before quietly whispered, "Yes."

Steve again, "And he planted the trees last year?"

There was no reply! Steve continued, "And what did Glen Fraser get in return for that?"

Claire recovered from her thoughts: "Just money Steve the family are the only ones on the island who do landscaping."

"So you aren't entertaining Jake Fraser even as we speak?"

Claire sighed, "No Steve, I'm not and you need to get over this jealously."

Before she could say any more Steve hung up.

Claire called repeatedly but Steve ignored them all, he needed time to think. He finally answered a call first thing Friday morning surprising Claire.

"Steve thank god you answered I was worried."

"Really" was Steve's only word of response.

"Of course, I love you more than anything. What time will you be back tomorrow, we need to talk about this?"

Steve replied calmly in a tone which worried Claire. "I won't be back; I'm staying on here for a while."

Claire began panicking "Please don't do that we need to sort this all out as soon as possible."

Again Steve replied in an eerily calm tone: "Oh is that right, but you didn't rush to London to do it, and you only called during the days, I take it your evenings have remained somewhat busy."

"Please Steve come home, I haven't done anything, this is just your paranoia talking, just come home and we can sort things out."

Five days later Steve was on the ferry returning to the Island. By the time he trudged home, Claire was waiting for him with Dianne; clearly word had been passed on. Claire tried to hug and kiss him, but Steve eased her away from him.

Claire began sobbing, Dianne looked furious.

"Why are you here Dianne? This is between me and Claire. Am I right in thinking you two had never really fallen out?"

Before Dianne could reply, Claire began explaining, "We did argue, but when you didn't come home, I needed someone and you weren't here."

Steve scowled, "I find it hard to believe that my mother in law would make up with anyone unless she had gotten her own way. Given her efforts to make the arrangement happen, I doubt she would have walked away. I'm guessing you never fell out and it was all a cover?"

Claire's eyes widened, "This is getting out of hand Steve... I haven't done anything."

Steve continued, "So you both agreed to lie and cover it up as I wouldn't go along with things?"

The argument continued but went around in circles. Steve was certain Claire had cheated but she denied everything. In the end he stormed off to the spare room and left Claire and Dianne to it.

The following day Steve decided to catch up with his father in law Bill Taylor, he knew it would be a difficult conversation. They had always got on well and Bill began with a friendly handshake, saying he had been expecting Steve. They talked around the tradition and what Bill knew. Bill's understanding was that Dianne had spent a single night with John Fraser about 20 years earlier. He didn't like it but it was similar to a night he had enjoyed immensely when he was 18 years old.

Steve spent some time gently explaining Dianne's admission of several week long trysts, asking if it was possible. Bill was upset but said he'd always had a suspicion that something else had gone on, his time away fishing commercially would have provided ample opportunity.

Steve asked Bill if he knew about his daughters actions. Bill confirmed Dianne and Claire had been 'as think as thieves' but tried to keep information away from him, they had talked about 'the plan being set' the week before Steve left for London.

Claire sat at the kitchen table unable to look at Steve. "I can't believe my dad intends divorcing mum and that we've caused it."

"Dianne made her own bed; your Dad was never going to accept that level of deceit and all the lies. She's still denying it now even though John Fraser admitted the truth of it and he isn't the only one."

After a long silence, Claire whispered, "I know and that's why I think I need to tell you something."

Steve didn't respond.

"I'm really sorry Steve but I went through with the arrangement with Jake. "

The explosion Claire expected never materialised.

"And Glen Fraser last year?"

Claire simply nodded.

Steve couldn't think of anything to say.

"Please Steve this doesn't need to change us; we've had 22 fantastic years."

"How can you possibly say that... it changes everything."

"I'm so sorry Steve; I thought I had to fulfil the family obligations."

"Steve fizzed with anger "What a load of absolute bollocks, you wanted to fuck another man. You did and enjoyed it so much you repeated the whole exercise again."

"It was not like that, it was a duty... an obligation."

"So you didn't enjoy it?"

Claire hesitated knowing she was on very dangerous ground, "It was ok, different from us, just sex not making love. It was a one off, it will never happen again."

"Except it wasn't a one off, you did it twice; you fucked two brothers when they were barely 18, which makes you nothing more than a slut."

Claire recoiled at Steve's verbal attack, he never used foul language in her presence, "I'm no such thing, I've upheld a tradition, part of a young person's education passing into manhood, that's all. They were very appreciative."

Claire knew she had made another mistake as soon as she said it.

Steve shouted, "Oh I just bet they fucking were, you say it's a one off but just how many times did you go at it before they were 'educated'. Tell me just how many times... lets me see 18 years old and horny as hell, eager to please and a willing pussy on hand for an evening and through the night, it must have been at least five times per day, so maybe 35 across the week, hardly a one off."

Claire couldn't deny it; both Glen and Jake had been very eager to please and seemed to support constant erections. There was very little education involved, although some patience was required at the start of the week. She had enjoyed their toned and fit bodies including some well-endowed and ragingly hard cock. As her mother had predicted the sex was thrilling, she loved how excited both young men were to be with her. She particularly loved teasing each of them with flashes of stocking or cleavage, knowing that she would be giving herself to them wholly that night. At one point Jake even claimed to be in love with her. It was the only time it ever occurred to her that the week could impact her normal life and much prized marriage, she wasted no time explaining the reality to Jake.

Steve was in full flow: "And exactly what does an 18 year old need educating in these days, I bet they were giving you a good seeing to from day one, and you couldn't get enough of that young cock, could you?"

Claire sobbed," It isn't like that, it was supposed to be a fun adventure. It was just sex, I know that bruises your ego but it's still you who I want and who makes me complete."

Steve fumed, "I'd say it's more about trust and vows than ego. What about your wedding vows, does the tradition trump those? It's not ego when your life partner betrays you and what for, nothing serious or of consequence, but for quick shag with some fucking kids."

Claire blushed, "I understand you are angry and upset with me, but you're strong enough to get us through this. After Glen you didn't known, you didn't notice anything, if anything we were closer, more intimate. I thought it would be the same with Jake."

"I didn't know because I trusted the woman I loved implicitly."

"Trust me; I won't ever do anything like this again."

"Trust you, trust you! You have to be fucking kidding."

Claire almost screamed in reply "You can! I promise. I'm really so very sorry I hurt you. Think of the wonderful life we still have. We can go back to how things were."

"Were you thinking about our wonderful life when you planned all of this and were lying on your back?"

"No I would have never have considered it if I knew the consequences. I'd never intentionally hurt you."

"But you did anyway."

"I know and I'm truly sorry,

"And how do you think that is working out?".

Claire couldn't find a reply.

"Clearly you have no comprehension about how I feel. You've ripped my heart and soul out; how the fuck do you fix that Claire?"

With that Steve stormed away before he did something he would regret.

He just kept walking trying to clear his head, the beauty of the evening light doing little to improve his mood. As he looped back toward the village he was surprised to be met by the elder Helen Brown.

Steve could barely muster a nod in greeting.

Helen smiled and admitted that their meeting wasn't by accident; she had seen Steve take the outward cliff path and knew she could catch him on his return. Helen suggested they sit on the outcrop and then gently quizzed Steve to see if he would offer any information about his circumstances.

Steve saw no reason to be reticent and told her everything. Saying it all out loud didn't lift the weight from his shoulders. Helen listened avidly without interruption. He hesitated about mentioning Dianne's offer for one of the elders to have sex with him in return for Claire fulfilling her obligations, but thought Helen had played a role in the whole saga so included it verbatim.

When he had finished Helen was quiet for a long time before saying, "Steve, I never made that offer, Dianne never mentioned and or discussed any arrangement with either myself or Moira. It's not something either of us would consider. I can only think Dianne was trying to get you to admit or agree to sex with others outside your marriage to justify what they were planning."

Steve was perplexed by her response.

Helen continued, "Another thing Steve, the arrangements mostly died out decades ago, even then it was only ever the first night, it was never a week. The chores or planting were the only elements that ever lasted a week, with a single night of union at the end. Maybe Melissa, Dianne and Susan were being opportune."

Steve just shook his head; every time he was getting to terms with his wife's behaviour another shock was revealed.

Helen continued saying she would speak to Moira and take the steps needed to have Dianne removed as an elder. To her knowledge that had never happened before and it would be a scandal but Dianne's actions were inexcusable. The whole purpose of the elders in modern times was to focus on community activities and supporting the islanders.

Helen looked at Steve "What are you going to do?"

Steve shrugged his shoulders, "I can't seem to make her understand the impact of her actions, I'd love to make her feel how I feel now."

They sat quietly for a little, before Steve noticed a small smile at the corner of Helen's mouth, "What is it, what are you thinking?"

Helen's smile broke through properly as she began, "What if you were to stay with me for a week, no funny business but we don't need to let Claire and Dianne know that. We say I felt honour bound to undertake 'the arrangement' which was offered in my name as an elder. That way you get to give Claire a taste of her own medicine and I get to torment Dianne for involving my name with all this nonsense."

Steve was delighted by the prospect but asked. "Won't this ruin your reputation, I am still a married man and everyone will think..."

Helen interrupted, "Firstly I don't really care what people think and secondly, I'm sorry to say this but pretty much the whole island already knows about your situation Steve."

The thought about everyone knowing was another blow, replaced by a pleasant thought which Steve shared with Helen: "No funny business, but I would love to plant some trees for you. That would really get Claire and Dianne thinking."

They laughed together and quickly sorted the arrangements. Steve returned to his house and quickly packed. He offered limited explanation to Claire: only that on reflection he had decided to accept her mother's kind offer regarding an Island elder. And in the circumstances a week with another woman was more than reasonable. He left Claire sobbing for him not to do it.

His time at Helen's was surprising comfortable, she was great company and a fantastic cook. Steve spent time completing some home repairs and did indeed plants some trees in her back yard. They discussed Steve's 'situation, he was hoping the week would give Claire at least some insight about how he was feeling. Until he had seen a lot more to convince him that Claire understood how wrong her actions were they had no chance of reconciliation. True to his word, he never did sleep with Helen, although they did get very close a couple of times and it wasn't due to lack of desire.

It wasn't long before Claire caught up with Helen at the village shop and immediately began berating Helen about her affair with her husband.

Helen smiled sweetly, "Claire darling you of all people should know that it is not an affair, it's... an arrangement and doesn't affect your marriage."

Claire heard the echo of her owns words but continued, "You can't do this, he is my husband!"

"Actually I am fulfilling an offer your own mother made on my behalf. What was it now me, Moira or even your mum for a week. I guess Steve made his choice and I'm honour bound to uphold the tradition. It could be worse, he might have chosen Dianne. I promise to return him in one piece, he may be little exhausted though."

Claire stammered, "You, you... whore!"

Helen responded calmly, "I would have thought that name was more appropriate for the one of us who fucked two 18 year old boys behind her faithful husband's back."

With that Helen walked jauntily away leaving Claire open mouthed and everyone in the village shop staring at her.

The following day, an irate and hysterical Claire was making a decent attempt at beating down Helen's front door before Steve opened it.

"Please Steve I'm sorry, come home."

"I'm just doing what you did. Why are you so upset, as you pointed it out this shouldn't affect us."

"I had no idea. This is just cruel, it's torturing me. I can't stop thinking about you with that bitch."

Steve replied, "Yeah now that does sound familiar, welcome to my world" and promptly slammed the door shut.

Steve did return to his home the following week to be met by a much subdued Claire.

Claire began, "I can't believe you would do that to me, but I can forgive if you can. I understand how you have been feeling about all of this."

"You think! You still only experienced some of it, not the deceit and lies; our whole time here is based on a lie!"

Claire persisted, "We are still the same people, the same marriage."

"The same marriage which inspired you to jump into bed with other men, the marriage you have destroyed and I still have no real idea why you did it. Were you that bored of me?"

"It was never about you or being bored. If we can't go back we can build something new. Look forward to all those retirement dreams... at what we could have together: travel, grandkids, we can still do all those things. We still love each other despite everything it's not over Steve; I'll do anything to prove my love for you."

Steve stayed in the house in a spare room, almost over whelmed by daunting thoughts of what the hell to do with his life if he left Claire. He couldn't decide if abyss or chasm best summed up his prospects. Staying would be easier and he did still love her. Given the fallout he doubted there would be any repeat of Claire's actions. The island was idyllic and he dreamed of traveling, having planned options for years and shared those dreams with Claire, did he really want to give all that up?