Traveler Ch. 02

Story Info
Her has a name. ‘Her’ is called Maddie Cooper.
17k words
4.89
8.2k
32
19

Part 2 of the 4 part series

Updated 04/14/2024
Created 05/14/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
markelly
markelly
2,579 Followers

There I was, minding my own business. I hadn't thought of the story of Traveler for some time, and I'm driving to a friend's house. On the journey my mind played out a Chapter two of Traveler and this story you're about to read is a result of that moment in my life. Oh, by the way. I took a few liberties with Police procedures as well, it helped the story along and they did get their mam.

My thanks as always go to those who back me up, from my beta readers who point and laugh, also to my editors who make something of my scribble. From vcwriter17b who did the final edit to those who looked after me as I worked my way through this story.

Please note, their is no sex in this story. Sorry.

Cassie Marshal.. Former Traveler. Now happily married and loving it.

Jason Beckman.. A man on the periphery of the families. He see's dead people.

Cindy Beckman.. Travelers enforcer, also married to Jason.

Maddie Cooper.. She started all this.

*******

It was a late sunny Thursday afternoon, the sun still kept some warmth, but not by much. I sipped at my coffee, sat on the wall, looking out over the sea. She had followed me here; she had been camped outside my house most of the morning, then got out of her car and followed me here.

I thought it best to let her lead; she was gathering up her courage. I figured another five minutes should do it.

"Excuse me. Mister Beckman? Mister Jason Beckman?"

She was two minutes early.

Putting my coffee down wasn't easy, that was good coffee now going to get cold. I guess I deserved cold coffee for my misjudgment. I looked at her closer now. A redhead, she just had to be a redhead.

"What can I do for you Maddie?"

The shocked look came first, she took a step back almost a second later. She turned white and considering her red hair, she couldn't afford to go any whiter.

"How ... How do you know my name, Mister Beckman?"

My smile didn't put her at ease. I suppose, in her shoes I wouldn't be too comfortable with a stranger knowing my name either.

"Maddie, you came here two days ago, talked to six of the locals and asked them the same question. Did they know me and did they know where I lived? You found out last night because I was curious to know why you were looking for me, so I told my friends to give you my address. You've been parked at the corner of my street since this morning."

Her shoulders slumped a little, she then joined me on the wall. She didn't even ask, just walked over and sat down. It's a good thing I had my coffee on my other side, or she would have had that too. She stared at the same scenery I was watching before she built up enough courage to come over and talk to me.

"I need your services, Mister Beckman."

"I don't have anything worth selling, Maddie."

She pulled air into her lungs, I got in first.

"You're wasting your time Maddie, I'm ..."

"You found her." She paused, I couldn't figure out why, she was making this her moment; I was all for letting her say her piece. That's when I looked at the profile view of her, she still looked out at what I was watching minutes ago.

"You found her; you even gave her an umbrella and told her to have a good day."

This time she looked directly into my eyes.

"Over two hundred people spent a week looking for her and you found her. My family placed a reward for information and so far we have received over eight hundred calls, all but one worthless. From false leads, to people looking to grab the reward and run."

She tried to hide her anger; she was simply too young to carry it off.

"The one call came from a woman that gave us her name and told us to give it to you, in exchange for what you know."

She started to hold my interest. "Okay, I give in, care to share?"

She expelled the air she was holding back, I sensed she was gambling on me taking the bait.

"When I phoned the number she left on the machine, she told me to tell you her name is Cassie Marshal, you would know her by the name."

"Traveler." Saying that one word stopped her in her tracks.

Maddie looked real hard at me when I interrupted her with the name. I couldn't see why; it was her that wanted this conversation to go this way.

Her hand came out from her pocket and opened in front of me, a slip of paper with numbers became visible when her hand opened fully.

"I know there is a story behind this. My folks think it's another dead-end, but I just have one of those feelings."

I took the slip of paper; she knew I would.

"Traveler and I go back a few years, Maddie."

"Will you help me now, Mister Beckman?"

I finished my coffee and with my now empty coffee cup in hand, I stood, Maddie went to follow until I placed a hand on her shoulder; she jumped at my touch and looked up at me.

"That's more complicated than you think young lady. But I do suggest you phone your folks, they're worried sick about you."

The whiteness of her features went a little red about then, from her cheeks to her ears and quickly down her neck. I went back to the shack and asked for another coffee, when I turned to look; she had her cell to her ear and pacing back and forth by the place we both had sat. Her hand and then arm became very animated for a few moments, the smile and the tear that ran down her cheek looked more like relief than sadness.

*******

After five rings a voice I hadn't heard in five years answered.

"Cassie speaking."

Out of instinct I used water language, Cassie automatically moved to it as well. It took me a few minutes to sense that Maddie had moved closer and was listening to our conversation. It was a pointless thing to do, as she wasn't from our world. She still listened open-mouthed as I spoke to Cassie. She saw me look at my watch and a minute later I closed my cell down.

Her right eyebrow rose slightly. "You're going to help me?"

"I have no choice."

Her features darkened until I added a tilt of my head towards my cell and said. "Boss's orders."

The smirk replaced her smile for a while.

"I'm taking you home, then I'm getting my boat out of storage and then setting about finding out what I can for you."

The shake of her head was a forewarning, her eyes gave her away as well.

"Not only no, but hell no. I'm coming with you."

Cassie thought she might go this route, she told me to offer but not to push her buttons. That woman knew me too well. As I was about to speak, someone moved toward us, blocking light from the lowering sun.

"Good afternoon, Jason. How are you today?"

Maddie looked at the woman standing slightly behind me.

I lowered my head slightly, my shoulders followed. "Good afternoon, Cindy, what can I do for you?"

Maddie went to stand, I let go of her so she could.

"Someone threw a rock into the pond; the ripples are being felt as we speak. Uncle Abe wants to see you, and her."

I watched Maddie out of the corner of my eye, her stance betrayed her.

"Her has a name. 'Her' is called Maddie Cooper."

Cindy watched Maddie for a moment, part of that moment had me wondering if I was going to be picking up Maddie's dead body once Cindy was done with her. I watched her eyes, something I shouldn't have done with a person like Cindy, her dark brown eyes, as always, gave nothing away. It was her mouth that gave her away, the slight smile told me Maddie got to live a little longer today.

"I know Miss Cooper, and you have the sympathy of our family over your loss."

There was warmth in Cindy's words but I felt it prudent to get between them.

So I stood, placed both my hands on Maddie's arms and turned her towards me so I had her full attention. "Rule number one, this is water ways business. That means if Abe wants to see us then we go and see Abe."

Although it was clear to see her temper was easing, it still had a way to go, so through gritted teeth she said. "Then who the hell is she?"

I looked at Cindy. She knew I would and just shrugged her shoulders. She wasn't telling, so just left to me.

"Cindy is my wife."

Maddie looked at me briefly and then towards Cindy. All Cindy did was nod her head and walk back to her car. she was still leaning against it as I finished my now cold coffee and Maddie and I walked towards her. No comment at all from the woman next to me about the woman leaning against her car.

*******

As Cindy pulled into the parking lot, I counted ten cars there. The sign at the gate said they would close the park in an hour's time. When Cindy got out, we followed, she flipped the remote when we were about ten feet from the car. The ping the car gave out let her know it was locked; she was still walking and didn't look back to confirm it.

Cindy grabbed my arm and I stopped. "Maddie, Abe asked to see you first. We will sit over there and wait until you have finished."

A look of uncertainty crossed her face, Cindy took a step towards her and said. "Maddie, breathe! Abe is here to offer his considerable help and trust me, you will need it if you ever want to find the answers to your questions. Call him Sir or Traveler. DO NOT call him Abe."

Maddie looked confused; I also took a step back. I so knew what was coming.

"But you called him Abe, even uncle Abe, I heard you."

Cindy leaned in, out of instinct, Maddie did the same. "Only out of earshot, never to his face."

That alone calmed Maddie's nerves. She nodded to both of us and walked over to the lone figure sitting on a bench, watching a family all play on some swings. Even the mother had climbed onto a swing and squealed when her husband propelled her.

Cindy was still holding my arm when we sat down. "When Abe told me you were being watched, I thought it was the Police again. Never in a million years did I think it was going to be the sister."

"You know I have to help her Cindy, even without Cassie and Abe asking me too."

Her hand found and clasped mine, she continued to watch Maddie, who was now giggling at something Abe had said.

"Even though it almost killed you the last time you did, what do you plan to do now?"

I thought about how to answer her; the seizure had been so severe I was in hospital for two months, Cindy never left my side and from what I was told, other than toilet and shower breaks, some part of her was always in contact with me.

"I'm sorry Cindy. But she's asked and it's slowly destroying her family. It's been three years now and they haven't even found a body to bury."

She squeezed my hand; it was probably the kindest thing she could do.

"Then know this husband of mine. I want babies, two please. Gender isn't important, I've also spoken to Abe about this; he agreed, at the sign of the first one, I can retire. You had better stay alive, or I will kill you." I smothered a chuckle -- you can kill me after I die?

We both almost didn't see Abe raise his hand, we stood and walked over to stand behind Maddie.

"These are two of my best people. They will find your sister, if only because I'm asking them nicely."

Maddie's back straightened, then her hand held onto Abe's. "I want to go with them."

All three of us looked at her like she was from Mars. It was Abe who recovered first.

"Have you ever been on a canal boat before?"

She shook her head.

"My dear, this could take weeks, if not months. Jason's canal boat is nothing more than a long room with one section closed off for a shower and toilet. There isn't room on a canal boat for privacy. Trust an old hand on this, you will become very familiar with everyone's habits really quick. By the time all this is over, you will have no secrets from these two."

Both had their own version of a stare-down. In the end Abe shrugged his shoulders and looked at me, then nodded.

His smile was disarming. "Very well, remind me not to play Poker with you, young lady." Abe's features hardened for a second, before he added. "My dear, I need to talk to these two vagrants for a moment before you go, would you be so kind as to give us a moment please?"

Maddie stood and thanked Abe, then walked over to the bench we had occupied, all three of us watched and waited. We knew she was out of earshot now.

Abe pulled air into his lungs and said. "I've kept an eye on this case, almost as long as I've been Traveler, there is something spooking me about all this. The fact no one can find the body being the main reason." He looked at me and said. "I once heard you tell your wife that you see dead people. Find her sister Jason, give the family closure."

I nodded, seconds later Abe looked at Cindy.

"Keep her alive, that family only has one child left. So keep her alive." The look Abe gave Cindy meant everything.

"Our families' reputation is on the line here. The Police have agreed to take a tentative step back. Someone killed her sister, although they have no proof, they strongly believe that the person who did it, is a water person. That's tainted our livelihood and our families name, I've never asked this of you before but you will understand the severity of the situation when I say that her life has more value than both of yours, do you both understand?"

Cindy nodded, my nod wasn't that far behind. Abe stood and walked towards the parking lot. I made sure all three of us did a circuit of the park before we left. It's always best to give Traveler a head start before we hit the road ourselves.

*******

We reassembled back at our house the next morning. Maddie went to her hotel and paid her bill, returning an hour later, she hauled a suitcase out of her car. Cindy examined what she brought, and shook her head my wife closed the suitcase and told Maddie to return it to the trunk of her car. Then Cindy took her shopping for clothes more suitable to the canal.

They weren't due back for a couple of hours so I opened the file we had been given by Maddie. She had been thorough in her investigation with newspaper cuttings, the Police report of the incident. Since there wasn't a body, they couldn't call it a death back then. I went over it more for the sake of my memory of those events and to get a deeper understanding of what the Police had, which was very little. I replaced the paperwork in the file and into the truck for the trip to the boat.

They were back in about two and a half hours from when they left. We finished loading gear and headed for the boat. All three of us stopped off at the food hall on the way, a cart and a half of food later, we left.

I was inside the cabin storing food and equipment when the bags of store-bought clothes started hitting the floor behind me. It was an odd sight, the family enforcer and a somewhat lost daughter/sister working as a team. Cindy told me to take a break so they could show me what they had bought.

Maddie picked up a bag and started toward the toilet/shower room. Cindy simply stripped naked where she stood and started pulling clothes out of bags. That stopped both Maddie and I in our tracks.

Cindy was just about to pull on a top when she noticed us both being very stationary, I guess staring could be admitted to as well.

"What?"

Maddie had gone beet red. "You're like, naked."

A flash of anger crossed her face, we both stepped back. Cindy dropped the top she had in her hands and walked up to Maddie, then held out her hand. Maddie looked at it, then the rest of a very naked Cindy.

Cindy kind of growled and reached for Maddie's hand and pulled her to the couch, then pointed; when sitting wasn't immediate, she stamped her bare foot and pointed again. Maddie thought it wise to sit this time.

"Listen to me very carefully here young lady. You were the one that insisted you joined us in finding your sister. Uncle Abe even warned you that there isn't room to spare on one of these." She even waved her arm at the length of the canal boat. "I'm going to remind you that you're not one of us water people. But there is only so much slack I can cut you."

This time I knelt in front of Maddie, I reminded her that we don't know what we will find when we get to the spot that I last saw her sister. I then delved into the fact that us water people were practical, so often the things we do are normal to us but may not be normal to you. Water people load supplies onto our working boats and are given a date and time for the goods to be delivered. Times have been known to be so tight, that the canal boat is in perpetual motion from start to finish, barely stopping for fuel and water.

Food is either bulk bought or one of the family is let off at a town to shop, then met further along the canal pausing just long enough to load the food on before the boat is in motion again.

"If we're tracking down leads and the person with that knowledge will be at one place at a set time, then we have to keep going, we eat, sleep, move. It's our way of life Maddie, it's how husbands and wives have put food on the table for every generation before them."

Cindy stood and got dressed. Maddie tried damn hard, but she still stared as my wife got dressed.

"I can offer you two choices Maddie, but you need to stop looking at us like we're freaks. I'll contact Abe and sort out a location for you to get off; Abe will have people escort you back home until we're done. Or you get the bathroom to change in, BUT you need to stop judging us because our rules, regarding life, don't parallel yours."

Instinctively, I turned to Cindy and spoke to her in our language, she nodded and stood up.

"NO."

We both paused.

Maddie stood. "You're already cutting me out, you gave me two choices, but you didn't wait for my answer."

She took a lung full of air, blinked once, then a tear slid down her cheek. Her hands went to the buttons of her blouse and within a minute she was totally naked and again staring at Cindy.

The palm of her hand rested on my wife's cheek. "I know you're the enforcer for the family, that means you've hurt people on orders. I'm not stupid, I listen and keep my mouth shut. As each day ends and another begins, I slowly understand why my sister came to your people." She looked directly into my wife's eyes and said. "Promise me, if I ever have another attack of the stupids, despite my age, please put me across your knee and spank the living shit out of me."

Cindy placed both her hands either side of Maddie's face, tilted her head and kissed her forehead. To an outsider it looked like a gift of love. To me, my wife had just agreed to Maddie's request.

I sensed the tilt of the boat a second before another bag dropped through the door and landed on the floor of my boat, Cindy took a step back and Maddie used both her hands and arms to cover herself up. It was interesting to see the fight or flight reaction in her eyes.

*******

She ignored everyone until she was fully below deck. She looked at me and smiled, briefly, nodded to Cindy and then looked long and hard at a naked Maddie, who was trying to back herself towards the shower-room. The woman looked at me and spoke in water language.

I raised my hand to stop her, this time she looked closer at Maddie, then smiled and held out her hand. "Hello Maddie, I'm Cassie Marshal, finally pleased to meet you."

Maddie seemed to have forgotten she was naked now and leapt at Cassie, wrapping her arms around her. Then burst into tears. I cleared a space on the couch and Cassie almost carried Maddie over and sat her down.

Cassie held Maddie's hands as she slowly calmed. "It's been an emotional few days I see?"

"It was you, you started all of this. That one phone call to you has led me to think we've achieved more in two days than in the months after my sister disappeared."

Although Maddie had tears of joy, my face was a picture of worry. This was going to have a very bad ending. Cassie Marshal was on the river and not only that, my wife and Abe's enforcer was standing no more than six feet away from her.

A cell phone rang, we looked around and quickly figured it was coming from the floor, or rather Cindy's shorts that were on the floor. We all watched on as she picked up her shorts and looked at the screen, her eyes then locked onto Cassie, before she pulled her cell fully out and walked to the far end of my boat.

markelly
markelly
2,579 Followers