Treasure Beyond Treasure

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

*

Though Summer had come and gone, Liana could not tear her mind off the thief who'd spurned her. Garrett was in her every waking thought, tormenting her from the shadows, and always just out of reach. He stole the sweet moments of twilight as she was drifting off, and the solitary hours she spun to make his payments.

She'd withdrawn entirely from the business, and became a shadow, herself.

Liana no longer accepted callers, or suitors, or even business partners into her personal chambers. Instead, silence and isolation became her companions, the only consolation in a world without him in it.

His was the last touch she had allowed. Not even Sasha washed or brushed her hair anymore, and she insisted on maintaining her own fires. If she'd employed a doctor, they might have been concerned for her. But she had no such advisors lurking in the eaves.

Only Bailey ever entered her wing, always leaving burdened with the payments.

He was a massive, quiet man that she had come to trust, as the things he'd heard never reached the ears of the other, more talkative, servants.

Tonight, he would serve her dinner, and then leave with the payment. Bailey never quite knew what he was carrying, but Liana was certain he understood the nature of the goods.

At the stroke of seven, he knocked at her chamber door.

"Baily," she said, "come in."

He eased into the room with a tray, covered to retain its heat. Without hesitation, he exchanged it for the lockbox atop the table. "Anything else?"

"Nothing." Liana nodded at him, "That is all for tonight."
"Good evenings," he bowed out.

That was what she liked about him. He did not dally as the rest of them did, idling and wasting her hard-earned coin engaged in gossip.

Eating did not entertain her thoughts anymore, but she rather enjoyed the aroma of this meal. So, she decided to try, and wasn't disappointed.

When she finished, she moved to close the lid, but her fingers slipped and the tray crashed to the ground, the plate breaking on contact with the wooden floor. Instead of irritation, she felt an earnest sense of curiosity.

Atop the tray, and beneath several shards of porcelain, lay a note.

It looked to be scrawled on rough parchment, not anything like the expensive vellums her company employed. The paper was of layman quality, such that a worker might scrawl a list of supplies.

Meet me beneath the clocktower at midnight, come alone. -G

Liana first felt the thrill of a young woman in love. Her second instinct was more humbling, "It's a trap," she murmured to herself. Whoever had sent this note knew of her and Garrett's deal, and meant to catch her off-guard.

They both had enemies, and though she was young, she was not so naïve as to believe such a blunt ruse. Garrett would have come to her, if it was so urgent.

First, she would find the rat within her walls before searching out the real enemy. If Bailey wasn't a spy—and she hoped it wasn't—then it was one of the cooks. Once they were secured, and no other intelligence was leaking from the manor, then she could set a trap of her own.

For the first time in almost half-a-year, she emerged from her chambers and stepped into the dim hallway. On wooden heels, she clipped to Bailey's living area and pounded on the door, note in hand.

"What is it!" he shouted, then opened the door, "If you got another fuckin'-" he finally saw her, "Ah, Lady Liana..."

She disregarded his miscalculation, "Bailey, your future here rests entirely upon your answer to this question: Who sent this?" Liana waved it in front of him until he took it with a crumpled brow.

"I've never seen it before in my life, I just bring the trays to you. It was Taryn that sent your supper." His cold eyes burned into her, "Permission to rough 'em up?"

Liana stepped to the side with a surprised smile, "Find whoever planted this in the next hour, and I'll double your pay."

"Make it ten minutes." He marched out of the room, a man on a mission. She did trust the lug, and especially trusted greed to motivate him.

As promised, he tossed a middle-aged woman in front of her within ten minutes. She must have been new, because Liana didn't recognize her, "What is your name?"

"Bethesda, ma'am," she sobbed, prostrating in front of her, "Please, I just did what he asked!"

"Who?"

"The keeper. He came with the note this morning," Bethesda wept into her hands, "I have to feed my boys, and the man, he offered me gold! It's yours, take it! I don't mean to keep secrets..." She dashed gold coins to the ground and tried to stem the tears, "please don't tell the Watch... my boys will starve without me."

Liana could hardly feel pity for the woman, "The keeper, what did he look like?"

Bethesda seemed to collect herself a little, "He was hooded, I don't... know, and it was nearing eve. But he wasn't tall, for a man..."

It couldn't be, "Bailey," she nodded at the servant, "Let her retain her wages and send her out with her belongings. She is never to set foot in this house." Liana looked at the woman, "Ever."

"Thank you, ma'am! You are so merciful. Builder protect thee!" Tears of relief streamed down her face as she was escorted out of her chambers. She shook her head at the fanatic, but the beggar left more questions than answers in her wake.

When Bailey returned, she ordered him to gather Sasha from her room. She arrived, sleepy-eyed to her chambers, "You requested me, ma'am?"

"I did." Liana assessed the girl. She was about the right height and build for the job. If she added an extra layer of skirts, then the girl's narrow hips might also pass for her own.

"Bailey," she ordered, "Schedule a room at the Boar's Head Inn just north of the clocktower for this eve. I want a view of the courtyard. Both of you will be coming along."

"What for, ma'am?" Sasha asked. Bailey was professional enough not to.

"I have a plan."

*

The carriage brought the three of them to the front of the Boar's Head Inn. With Liana, dressed as a servant, and Sasha, dressed as a proper Lady, they walked side-by-side and entered the establishment. As ordered, Sasha checked herself in to the highest room of the building.

"When midnight nears," Liana explained, "The two of you will go down to the clocktower's entrance and wait beside the doors. I want to know who left the note, and why. Bailey, you will stay out of sight, but near enough that if anyone intends Sasha harm, you are within reach."

"Yes, ma'am," they said in unison.

"And, one more thing. Beginning today, both your incomes have tripled. I appreciate your... discretion... regarding this matter." She dismissed them with a wave, adjourning to the bed.

As Liana lay there, she thought about Garrett, who'd plagued her thoughts, though he'd done well to avoid contact since his last visit.

A keeper... the thought bothered her. Why would a keeper deliver the note? They were an obscure sect of researchers that delved into strange magics. Did Garrett have dealings with them?

If anyone did, Liana reasoned, it would be him.

"It is time, ma'am," Bailey dipped his head, hesitant to rouse her.

"Good," she rubbed her eyes, sitting up from the stiff mattress, "Follow Sasha, but do take your time. I would not want you to scare our guest away."

"Absolutely." He escorted the girl out.

Liana watched out the window, but they did not appear for some time. Sasha finally emerged, alone in the alley. In the shadows, she saw Bailey following, keeping cover behind a shipment of goods. With the players on the board, all she had to do now was wait.

For some time, Sasha leaned against a low brick wall, but soon began to fidget. As time wore on, both servants became restless. The midnight bell clanged a dozen times, and then faded into the night. All was silent in South Quarter, neither guard nor pauper at this late hour.

"Quite a view," his familiar voice murmured, "and the dress, interesting choice."

Liana stood abruptly from her perch at the window, "Garrett," she breathed, "It was you."

His shadow was cast long by the burning embers in the fireplace, "It was," he conceded, "I needed to get you alone for a few moments, away from your home." He drew in close, gripping her shoulder with a weathered hand and trailed it down to her closed fist. Garrett lifted it and placed something heavy and cold into her palm, folding her fingers around the object, "I want you to keep this safe for me."

"What is it?" She tried to open her hand.

He clasped both hands over it, "Don't... you shouldn't look at it." Something in his eyes made her believe his warning.

"Is that the only reason you called me here?" she asked, disappointed.

"We've been through this," he whispered, "I have nothing to offer."

"Not even a night?" Liana held the object to her chest, reaching the other hand to his face, stroking the scar that cut through his brow. "Or an hour?"

"You are used to getting what you ask for. I am not one of your servants, Liana." He ran his hand through her golden hair, "Nor am I one to be kept."

She felt the loneliness well up again, "I do not ask for your exclusivity, only that you breach this chasm between us and take me as you will it. Had I not been clear last November eve?"

"You are young," Garrett's eyes darkened, "and don't know what you ask."

"I know perfectly well what I ask," she wanted to dash whatever object he'd given her to the ground, "I am not so young as to be ignorant in the ways of men and women. You must hold some tenderness in your heart for me, or you would not bother collecting my payments."

"Wouldn't I?" he asked, stroking her lower lip thoughtfully, "You have not taken a suitor."

"You have not been listening. If you will not take me, then I choose no man to stand by me." Liana pushed her fist to his chest, "Take your treasure back."

He cupped her hand and shook his head, "It is not mine to take."

"And you will not allow me to look upon it, but I cannot be rid of it. A mirror of your own presence in my life," she looked down at her cupped hand, "What is this thing?"

"The Eye of Constantine," he murmured, "I can't be near it, but it is bound to me... you must understand that my enemies cannot have it. I thought you would understand," he put a warm palm to her cheek, which she leaned into, "it's as precious to me as my own life."

"If only a person could hold so much value in your eyes," she whispered, then glanced up at him, "I will keep it safe, but on one condition..."

*

They parted ways after a time, and Liana returned to the manor to wait for the fulfilment of his bargain. The Eye itself went into a box, that she placed into a bigger box, and the latter into an even bigger one that was bolted into the foundation. It was hardly a modest adjustment, but she saw no price that outweighed what she'd been guaranteed.

He would send her another note, within a month's time, detailing the place. Until then, Liana was forced to sit upon her hands and await his summons.

She grudgingly returned to managing the business, as Garrett advised, so that no one in her social circles would become suspicious, especially after her unorthodox renovation of the wine cellar. She even accepted a suitor's calling to retain the visage of normalcy. A young, unbridled woman like herself needed to at least appear to be searching for a husband, or more gossip might spread.

Tonight, the suitor was Sir Ellis of some obscure country Liana hadn't bothered to remember.

"Verily, you must try the wine, it is yours, after all!" Sir Ellis gave an unappealing chortle, pouring a glass of wine and offered it to her.

He nearly spilled it on her dress before righting the pale liquid.

Liana accepted, but set it down, "I am rarely inclined to drink on a Sunday, and even rarer still do I enjoy the company of a slosh." She did not bother to hide her distaste.

He'd not handled his spirits well, and was now rather pickled. She'd soon dismiss the gent with a bottle of consolation wine, to drown his rejection in.

"Oh, but Lady!" He finished his glass, and clunked it on the low table. Sasha swept through and refilled his glass, by her order. "The night is young, you—hic—cannot say the air is not to your liking!"

"It is getting late, Sir Ellis. Pray, leave me to my womanly rituals, and perhaps call again when you are not afflicted by the spirits?" She placed a hand on his, in mock concern.

Sir Ellis wavered in his seat, his eyes glazed over and unfocused. His hand clapped over hers painfully, "Yes, you are right, Lady." He let out an unappealing belch, "I suppose I have tasted too much of the God's good wine..." Ellis trailed off.

"Bailey," she motioned, "if you would send Sir Ellis on his way? And be sure he receives a bottle, for his troubles."

"Gladly, ma'am." He coaxed her guest from the plush seat and reassured him out the door.

When he was out of sight, she groaned and threw her head against the tall backing of her own chair. "Sasha, are you still nearby?" she called the girl.

"Yes'm?"

"Have there been any notes received? Or keepers as of late?" There were few enough days left in the month with which Garrett had to contact her. Liana felt time slipping through her fingers.

"No, ma'am." Sasha shook her head, "not that I have been made aware."

Liana nodded, "Then I will have my supper up here, tonight, and then you are relieved for the remainder of the evening."

"As you wish." She slipped out of the room, leaving Liana in blessed silence save for the crackling of the fireplace.

Bailey returned too soon and announced Ellis' departure, "He is on his way home, ma'am."

"Thank you, Bailey, you are dismissed."

He looked to be having trouble leaving. Instead of obeying her order, he came close and slipped a letter to her, "I, ah... believe you've been waiting for this?"

Liana took it and looked at the servant with accusation, "Are you presuming to know my mind?" He'd never been told of Garrett, or of the letter she was awaiting.

"No, ma'am." He stiffened, "I only meant to pass on the keeper's message."
Another keeper, "Fine, then," she glanced at the envelope, "I suppose that will be all. Next you see that keeper, detain the fellow and bring him to me. I would like a word."

"Yes, ma'am." He took a bow and made for the exit.

When Liana was certain he'd adjourned to his own suites, she tore the letter open without hesitation. The paper was different, not vellum, but of a higher cut than the last one.

The first place, midnight, bring your man. -G

Now he was speaking in riddles? The first place, something only the two of them would know. The first place they'd met was the Duke's castle, which had fallen into disrepair since she'd made it her business to ruin him for purchasing her like cattle. No, she considered, not there.

It would have to be somewhere else, some other first.

The safehouse. "Of course," she reasoned. Before the city was known to her, she'd been lost. Only Garrett had understood the inner workings of the streets when he whisked her away. But with a little calculation, she had enough recall of that night to find his safehouse.

And that, in a few hours' time, was where he'd fulfill his end of the bargain.

*

With Bailey's help, she retraced their steps through the moonlit streets.

Liana wore the darkest of fabrics, stealing a pair of black trousers from her bellboy, and wearing only her inky laced undershirt and a midnight cloak. If anyone of the plutocracy spotted her slinking along the back alleys of Auldale, she would hear no end of it.

She paused at the place where Garrett had pressed her to the wall, to protect them both from the City Watchmen. Bailey stood by, but he didn't remark on her odd sensibilities, which endeared her even more to the servant.

In the dim light of the moon, the wall he'd scaled was visible.

"Did you bring the rope?" she asked, her face flush with excitement.

"You want to scale that?" Bailey hissed, "A Lady should never climb, ma'am."

Liana snatched the rope from him, "I was not always such," She fashioned a lasso and swung it up to the second story, where it caught securely on the fencing.

Bailey appraised her, stunned by her show of basic farming skills.

"What?" She asked, tugging the rope until it held, "You think I am not capable?"

"I reserve my judgment on that question, if you'll allow it."

"Granted." She rolled her eyes, "Scale the wall first to make sure there are no sentries posted."
He accepted the rope and climbed, reaching the top with little trouble. When he scouted the area, he gave her the all-clear to ascend. As she reached the top, he caught her beneath the shoulders, like a child, and eased her to a standing position.

The midnight bell hadn't struck yet, "Bailey," she whispered, "I must admit something to you." Bailey waited for her to speak, "You are the only man I trust in the house. You have kept quiet regarding these correspondences. I ask that you maintain that same level of digression tonight."
"Of course, ma'am." He nodded without question.

"I am meeting an... old friend. One that does not wish to be seen in my home. You will remain on watch while I speak with him. When we are finished, we will return to the manor."

"And if someone approaches?" he asked as the first of twelve chimes rang through the city.

Liana glanced around, "You deter them, by any means."

A grim line formed his mouth, "Yes'm." the bell continued its chime.

"Good, stay here. I will return soon." She counted ten chimes, and then rounded the corner to the safehouse. A light flickered beneath the door. He was already waiting for her.

On the twelfth chime, she slipped inside and peered into the flickering gloom, "Garrett," she whispered, "You must think of more clever riddles."

"I figured it would be an easy thing for you to solve," He moved out of the shadows, "That man, Bailey, is it? He is surprisingly useful, for a servant."
"I am not here to speak of him." Liana closed her form to his, slipping her arms around his waist. "I fashioned my cloak after yours, do you like it?"

He tilted her chin up, "Black suits you."

She smiled as his gentle lips found hers, his tongue traced her before entering. Liana sighed against him and teased his tongue with hers, finally satisfied with him in her arms.

With the ease of a gymnast, he hoisted her up and continued rooting in her mouth as he walked them to the bed. He tumbled backwards as she clasped her mouth tightly over his, so as not to lose him. She sat atop his manhood, which pulsed against the space between her legs.

Liana pulled back, feverish desire made her lids heavy, "You do want me?"

Garrett chuckled, drawing his rugged hands over the slight curve of her hips, and up, to her small breasts, "I would be a liar if I said otherwise." He teased her bow open, to expose her naked front.

"It has been five years, Garrett. You think that I would have grown tired of waiting on you?"

"I had hoped," he brushed her hair behind one ear, "only so that you could find peace."

"Then you know little of a woman's fortitude." She pulled at the restraints of his leather, rooting for an opening.

Garrett stopped her hands and guided them to the lacing, "Easy," he warned. They opened his lacing together, until his manhood sprung from its confines.

"The poor thing," she mused, stroking it gently.

He gave an unfettered gasp, "Easy," he warned again, then grabbed her rump and levered up to kiss her. This time his lips were urgent.

Liana struggled to remove the borrowed trousers, so close to the release she'd been craving since that first night, all those years ago. He helped her trembling hands, finding a gap in the cloth where he could enter. When he did, she went rigid. His firmness filled her, rending the innocence from her.