Treasure Ch. 71-75

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As they walked into Court on Monday morning, they both felt good about finally getting justice. Ashley kissed him and moved to sit behind the barricades that had been placed between the Prosecution and Defense tables and the crowd. She took her place with the Alphas and mates in the reserved section for them. She sat gingerly next to Chase, who wasn't happy to be here when his mate was still recovering, but he understood why. Alpha Martin, her old leader from the Adirondack Pack, sat on her other side. "How are you doing," he asked her.

"Tired, sore and overwhelmed," she said. "It's been a big shock for me to suddenly become an Alpha Female. I don't know how Rori is still doing it, at least I knew Pack life."

"I'm very proud of my niece," he said. "She's always thinking of others first, and their Pack will be strong. We all just need to support her any way we can." He already had some Pack members approach him about temporary or permanent transfers, but Rori and Chase didn't want to consider that until they were settled on their own territory. That was probably eight months away.

The room quickly filled, additional seating was brought in and overflow rooms were used for lower ranked Pack members. The front of the room had the two tables for the lawyers and defendants, in front of them was a table for the Council and a witness chair was off to the side. At five minutes to eight, the prisoners were led into the room, shackled hand and foot and to each other to make escape impossible. They were sat on chairs at the defense table.

The Chief Enforcer for the Council reviewed the rules for the audience, then called them all to rise. The room went quiet as the full Council walked in, the three cameras covering the proceedings live. Every werewolf not on duty was required to watch the trials, the crimes and the lessons would not be lost.

Chairman Jack Coffey would be the judge, and with the North American members, Charles King and Oscar Millner and the European Council members, Yakov Baronsky and Jurgen Nemmers. The Council sat and the Chairman banged his gavel. "This trial is now in session. Be seated except the Defendants." He waited for the room to quiet again. "Eric Gruber, Royce Waterman and Craig Forrest are charged with Unlawful destruction of a Pack, Premeditated Murder, Attempted Kidnapping, Conspiracy to Commit Rape and Conspiracy to Commit Murder of a Human. Alpha Daniel Forrest is charged with Conspiracy to Commit Rape, Bribery and Conspiracy to Commit Murder. Alpha Theo Waterman is charged with Conspiracy to Commit Rape, Conspiracy to Commit Murder and Assault of Humans. How do you plead?"

The lead defense lawyer, Mark Restwell, answered instead. "Mr. Chairman, before entering a plea, the Defense challenges the legitimacy of the charges leveled against their clients," he said.

"Mr. Restwell, the preliminary hearing is over, the charges were properly bound over for trial," he replied.

"That may be the case, but the Prosecution had no authority to bring them based on new information I have discovered after that hearing." He removed a document from his briefcase and handed one to Sawyer as he walked up to give the other to the Chairman. His eyes got wide when he started reading, and before he was done, Sawyer was struggling to his feet to object.

"Hold that," the Chairman said as he passed the document to the other Council members. "Proceedings will recess for fifteen minutes. Counsel, with us." He banged the gavel, and everyone stood as the Council moved back out of the room. Sawyer followed Mark into the small room they had taken over for their deliberations. "What is the meaning of this, Restwell?"

"The document is valid, it was approved by the Council three weeks ago, and it pardons my clients for any offenses they may have committed up to that date, and any future offenses that may occur as an extension of previous acts," he said. "It's a pardon that the Council may issue under chapter 28 subpart 2, correctly signed by a majority of the sitting Council at the time."

"This is ridiculous," Sawyer protested. "It was the Council itself that committed the crimes, and we are supposed to accept that they can pardon themselves? And more, that the pardon extends to future acts?"

"Pack Law has no restrictions on who they can pardon or the scope of the pardon. It is valid and was entered into the Council proceedings, as required by law. Therefore, the charges the Prosecution has leveled are void and I will be moving to have them dismissed with prejudice."

"Mr. Nygaard?"

"I need time to prepare a response, sir. Defense has blindsided all of us with this one."

"I will give you until after lunch, I can't drag this on longer," he said. He looked at the clock. "Let's go." They walked back into the room, the people standing and waiting. Sawyer was standing uncomfortably at the Prosecution table as it was gaveled back into order. "The Defense has produced a Council Pardon document that, if determined to be valid, would prevent the Prosecution from filing any charges against the Defendants. The proceedings will recess until 1300 to give the Prosecutor time to prepare his response to the Motion to Dismiss. This proceeding is in recess." They stood and left the room, and as soon as the door to their office closed, the room exploded in yells.

No one was happy about this turn of events, and Sawyer and his team were mobbed as they tried to leave. People were crying, wolves were vowing vengeance, and Alpha Michael finally had to lay down the law with the other Alphas to calm the room. Sawyer limped back to the office his team was using, slamming the door closed. "This is a fucking disaster," he said as he sat down slowly.

Two hours later, they realized there was nothing they could do about it. Like it or not, the Pack Law had given the Council unlimited pardon powers, and they had used them. "I have to go talk to the other Alphas," Sawyer said. "Ted, go talk to the Council and let them know that we will be dropping all charges when we reconvene." He pushed himself up to his feet, grabbed his cane and walked out the door.

The Alphas were in the study and were way ahead of Sawyer already when it came to consequences. They had gotten word of the pardon document and what it might mean. "We're going to change the laws, that's for sure," Chase said. "No more future acts, and the Council cannot pardon itself, we will make it so the Alphas have to do that."

"That will work, but it doesn't change anything now."

"Legally, what happens next," Alpha John Coffey said.

"At the hearing the charges will be dropped and the five will be free to go," he said as the men grumbled. "Eric Gruber, Royce Waterman and Craig Forrest are no longer Council members, that removal and their replacement is valid. Craig has already been replaced as the temporary Bitterroot Pack Alpha, so he has no rights there either. They are elder wolves, no more."

"At least that's something," Alpha Martin said. "What about the two Alphas?"

"They will be able to return to their Pack as Alphas," he said, "and there's... wait a minute." A smile came to his face. "I have a plan."

The Council walked back into the hearing room at precisely 1300 and Chairman Coffey gaveled it to order. "The Defense has made a motion to dismiss charges based on an existing valid pardon for the defendants. Mr. Nygaard, the Prosecution's response?"

"Mr. Chairman, after a review of the Pardon document, which absolves the Defendants of any crimes as of its signing thirteen days ago as well as future acts extending from previous acts, we agree it is legal and binding. In light of this new information, the Prosecution withdraws all charges." There was a gasp in the audience as they realized the bastards were going to go free.

"Charges are dismissed, the defendants are free to go. This hearing is concluded." He pounded the gavel and bedlam broke out.

"Mr. Chairman, I have other urgent business before the Council," Sawyer said in a booming voice that quieted the room. The Council members sat back down, and everyone got back in their seats except the Enforcers who were removing the shackles from the prisoners.

"Very well, Mr. Nygaard, since we are here, I have no objection to hearing the new business."

"Thank you, sir." Steven, who had been accepted into the Arrowhead Pack as Connie's mate last night, moved to stand by him. "First order of business is that I have abdicated my position as Alpha of the Casper Pack in favor of my younger brother, Carson. The change was made two hours ago, and this is the required Council notification."

"So recorded, Mr. Nygaard. I will contact Carson and congratulate him on his ascension."

"Thank you, sir. For the next business, I am challenging Alpha Daniel Forrest for leadership of the Donner Pack."

"And I am challenging Alpha Theo Waterman for leadership of the Casper Pack. Said challenge is to take place immediately." The two announcements sent a wave through the audience.

"This is ridiculous," Alpha Theo said as he stood to his feet. "The Pack is mine, and this traitor has not received a Pack Vote to even warrant a challenge."

"Mr. Nygaard?" Chairman Coffey didn't see how this would happen, there were procedures and Sawyer should understand this since he had just gone through it with his own father.

"If there was a permanent Alpha in place at the Donner and Casper packs, Theo would be correct, but there are not. The Council has placed temporary Alphas in place until permanent Alphas can be named. These Alphas are in charge of the Packs right now, and it is within Council authority to allow a challenge for the permanent position before the temporary Alpha is removed." He smiled as he looked over at Daniel. "I am requesting the Council allow this challenge in three days to allow me time to recover from the latest attack."

"This is BULLSHIT," Daniel yelled. "I am now and always HAVE been Alpha of my Pack since I took it from my father," he said.

"SIT DOWN," Chairman Coffey said as he rose to his feet. "The challengers are correct, although you have a claim to return to your Alpha position, that return can be challenged. Valid challenges have been made. Alpha Daniel Forrest, your challenge will be at one PM three days from now. Alpha Waterman, your challenge will be without delay. Combatants have one hour to prepare. The challenges will occur on the training field. As with all Alpha challenges, they are to the death or submission, but if you submit, your fate is up to the victor. Any other challenges must be presented to us in the next thirty minutes."

The newly freed men looked around, gauging the mood in the room. If they didn't have Alpha status or the protection of an Alpha, they were dead meat. Right now, they had neither and Gruber realized it first. "Mr. Chairman, pending the outcome of the challenges, I request protective custody for myself and my co-defendants. We should not be vulnerable to retaliation or mob action."

"Granted. Enforcers, you may escort them to the security building and ensure they are protected, but they are not under arrest. Any other business?" No one answered, and he banged the gavel again. "Dismissed."

Ch. 73

Connie clung to Steven's arm as they walked from the room after leaving the hearing. "If you die out there, I won't survive it," she said. She had marked him, and even though the bond wasn't complete, the loss would be enough. She wasn't recovered enough to take a shock like that, not with everything else she had been through. "I wish you didn't have to do this."

"We both know I do," he said as he pulled her into her arms and kissed her. "I can't let Alpha Theo live another hour, not after what he did to you. My wolf wants his blood coating his teeth, and I won't hold him back."

"I know," she said. "He might hurt you."

Steven just laughed. "I've sparred against him for years, I know him well. What he doesn't know is that I was holding back. It wouldn't be right for me to beat my Alpha in front of the others, but I pushed him to his best to beat me. Add in that I am mated, and he is not, so I have all the motivation I need to return to you."

"About that mating thing," she said. "We haven't, you know, done it wolfy style." He looked at Connie, his eyes clouding over with lust as he scented her arousal. "You will be stronger if you are fully mated, and I need you strong," she said.

"You will feel my pain over the bond when we fight," he warned.

"Yes, but I will be able to take some of your pain, share some of my strength. I don't want to wait any more, Steven. My wolf and I need you. I want to complete the bond." She pulled him towards the woods. "Please?"

"It will make it worse if he kills me."

"He won't, you promised me you would win, and I'll join you anyway if you don't return to me."

He turned towards the woods with a smile. "It would be my honor," he said. They walked into the trees far enough to be hidden, then stopped and stripped, placing their clothes over a branch. "I can't knot you up, we don't have time," he said.

"Don't give me much of a head start then," she said as she shifted into her wolf. He watched her take off, counting to ten he shifted and tore off after her. It only took him a minute to catch up, reaching out a paw he swiped at her legs and caused her to fall and roll in the snow coating the forest floor. He was on her in a second, his jaws grabbing her scruff as he pushed her front down. She fought off the panic; she wanted this, and she raised her back hips to him. Her wolf was positively giddy as she moved her tail aside. He mounted her, pushing home in a single powerful thrust as he howled in triumph.

"I will make it better for you next time," he said as he locked his front legs around her hips and started to pound her hard and fast.

"Oh, Steven, this is wonderful," she said and the bond between them confirmed it. He reveled in the feel of his mate. His wolf was happy to be dominating her and his human side was happy she was accepting the mating. It was only a few minutes before he felt the tightness in his balls as he got close; he started to move even faster as she grunted and howled under him. When he came, it was like he'd been hit in the ass with a cattle prod; his whole body stiffened up and he pushed as deep as he could go. His teeth clamped down on her neck and drew blood to complete the mating ritual. She howled in pain and pleasure as she started to break around him, her body squeezing him, not wanting him to pull out an inch. The bond turned the pain to unbelievable pleasure as it opened fully, allowing him to feel her emotions and love.

He released her neck and licked the blood clean as his body relaxed over hers. They moved to the ground, lying side by side, neither wanting the moment to end. A few minutes later, they uncoupled and he licked her clean. "I love you, Connie," he said.

"I love you, Steven. Come on, we have to get back," she told him as she got up. They trotted back to the Pack House area side by side, and Connie shifted and changed back before taking his clothing. He would be shifting again for the challenge, so there was no point in him changing now.

The noise from the crowd started to build as they got closer to the challenge field. She saw Alpha Chase standing behind Rori, who was sitting in a wheelchair at the far end of the circle. Her brother Sawyer was to her left and her mother-in-law Colletta was on her right. They walked towards them as this would be their home 'corner' for the fight. The other Alphas were all gathered near them, along with almost all of the Casper Pack. The Council was in the middle, and the opposite side was noticeably thin behind Alpha Theo as he trotted into the ring. If there was any doubt as to what the Casper Pack felt about Theo, it was obvious by where they stood around the ring.

The Oxbow and Arrowhead Pack members, along with guests from all the other Packs, filled in around the outside of the circle marked in the grass and snow. The former Council members and Daniel Forrest stood together behind Theo, Enforcers separating them from the angry crowd.

Steven glared at Theo, his growl backed by the crowd. Theo's eyes got big as he saw Connie stroking his ears to calm him, the mating bite on her neck fresh. Their combined scents blew to his nose, and he shook realizing what that meant. He had hurt his mate, and nothing enraged a wolf like that.

Theo growled back, determined to take back his Pack from the temporary Alpha the Council had appointed. He stared down the members of his Pack, noting the few who met his glance and the many who glared back or avoided him. He would have to kick some ass when this was over.

Chairman Coffee walked into the ring and raised his hands, causing the crowd to go silent. "This challenge between Theo Waterman and Steven March is for the Alpha position at the Casper Pack. The Council's temporary Alpha will step aside immediately after a victor is declared." There was a roar of applause at this. "Rules of the challenge are simple. Submit the other or kill them. If you run from the ring, you forfeit the challenge and will be torn apart by the Packs surrounding you. If the other submits, their fate- death, banishment or punishment- is up to you alone. Retreat to your corners."

Steven went back, standing before his mate. He was almost four feet high at the shoulders, so she was able to hug him without bending down. "Make it painful," she told him as he licked her cheek. He turned and moved a few feet towards the center.

"Challengers ready... FIGHT!" A roar went up from the crowd as the two ran towards the center of the circle. The ring was about thirty yards in diameter, so they were moving fast when they met in the middle. Steven gathered his back legs like he was going to jump up, and Theo committed to meeting him in the air. Steven didn't jump, though, and Theo's wolf jumped over him. Steven reached up, his jaws catching Theo's back-right paw and he bit down. Theo yowled in pain as the bones in his paw were crushed.

The weight and momentum of the big wolf pulled Steven around and twisted his neck, but Theo ended up slamming hard into the frozen ground. Steven released him and they both scrambled to their feet, with Theo keeping his weight off the injured paw. He got a swipe of claws in, leaving furrows on the right side of Steven's muzzle before he moved out of range.

The paw hanging uselessly created an opening, and Steven started to circle him towards that side. Theo was snarling, upset at the early injury and determined to even the score. He lunged at him, but Steven was fast for his size and avoided the teeth, then his counterattack tore a flap from Theo's shoulder. The fight settled into a pattern; Steven moving and dashing in to do damage, and Theo staying defensive.

Steven was winning, and the blood-matted fur on Theo showed that clearly. In five minutes, he had opened up cuts and gashes faster than his wolf could heal them. His reflexes were slowing, and that lulled his opponent into taking a chance.

Steven bull-rushed him, hoping to knock him on his back, but Theo was able to get above him and grab on to the back of his neck. It was too low to kill him, but he bit hard as Steven howled in agony. He spun, trying to throw him off, but it only tore the skin open farther. Steven twisted, his claws raking across Theo's ribs and opening deep furrows until his teeth finally let go.

The two circled each other, both limping and breathing hard. Steven raised up on his back legs, forcing Theo to meet him, but Theo only had one good leg. Pushing forward, he knocked him on his back. Theo used his front legs to try and hold him off his neck, not expecting Steven to turn and grab hold of the upper part of his front right leg. He crunched the bone, pulling hard on it as he shook his head violently from side to side. His teeth cut deep, and a few seconds later the limb came off in his teeth.