Trials Ch. 08

Story Info
Mercy continues to testify, more pup training.
3.5k words
4.67
2.8k
4

Part 8 of the 9 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 09/21/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
KemMyst
KemMyst
1,303 Followers

Dear Readers,

Please enjoy the continuing story of Lyssa and Emmett.

*****

"Mercy," she looked at him and her lip started to curl up, "How old are you?"

Startled, she answered, "Um, 16."

"So, you were 15 when this happened?"

"Yeah."

"So, your leaders, your Alphas, let 15 year old girls run around outside at night in the woods?"

"Yeah. A lot of us patrol."

"You don't see anything wrong with that?"

"Nooo." The no was drawn out, an indication that she didn't understand what he was getting at.

He gave the jury a pointed look, then turned back. "You said you hid behind a bush. How far away were you from the shooter?"

"Uh, I don't know."

"As close as you and I? As close as the railing? Beyond the door in the back of the courtroom?"

"Um. Uh, I dunno. Probably the back door."

"So, about 30 feet away. In the dark?"

Mercy closed her eyes and took a deep inhale. Then she opened her eyes and looked at the lawyer. "Yeah, it's him. It's his smell. It's him."

"Smell?"

"Yeah. It smells like him."

"You're telling me you can pick him out by his smell?"

"Asked and answered, your honor," their lawyer interjected.

"Sustained. If you have another question, Mr. Brody, I suggest you move on."

The defense attorney stood for a moment, collecting himself. "So, there was no one else around? Did you attack him?"

"I was hurt. He had a gun. Would you?"

"Did you do anything to provoke this man?"

"Provoke?"

"Did you growl at him? Charge him? Bite him?"

"No. We were just gonna cross the road. We're supposed to stay away from humans."

"Why is that?"

"Because you're dangerous."

The defense attorney laughed. "Us? Dangerous?"

"We don't bother you but one of you came to our range and shot us, killed Jamie! You tell me why you're not dangerous."

"Well, I'm certainly not going to answer that, young lady."

"Cuz you can't."

"Your honor?"

"The witness is instructed.." She looked at him, puzzled. "Miss Mercy, don't start an argument with him. Just answer the questions he asks you."

"But he's asking stupid questions and acting like we did something wrong."

"Miss Mercy," the tone was scolding, authoritative.

She grumbled. "OK."

"So, to sum up. This person just came up out of nowhere and shot you?"

"Yeah, that's what happened."

"You didn't attack him?"

"Why would we?"

"Your honor?"

"Please answer the question and not with another question."

She huffed. "We didn't know who he was. We didn't attack him. Didn't growl. Didn't bite. Did he say we bit him?"

"Then why did he shoot you?"

She started, "Cuz.."

Their lawyer interjected. "Calls for speculation, your honor."

"Withdrawn."

The lawyer turned, looked at the jury. "An unprovoked attack?"

The prosecuting attorney looked to the judge. "My esteemed colleague is not asking a question of the witness, he's speaking to the jury."

"I apologize, your honor."

"Miss Mercy," she narrowed her eyes at him, "what happened next?"

"Next when?"

"You and your friend had been shot..."

"By him!"

"Allegedly."

"What?"

"We're here to decide if he did it or not."

"What do you mean, decide? He did it; I was there! I saw him!"

The judge banged the gavel again and Mercy flinched. "Young lady, this isn't an argument. Just tell us what happened."

She crossed her arms and glared. "You're not listening. You don't believe me."

The gavel came down again. "Fifteen minute recess."

The jury was led from the room. "Mr. Jaffe, if you can't get control of your witness.."

Emmett stood. "Your honor, can I speak?"

The judge motioned him forward and officers flanked him as he approached the bench. Emmett bristled but held his tongue.

"What do you wish to say?"

"Sir, we are unfamiliar with your system of justice. The rules are.. alien."

Mercy was paying close attention. The judge glanced between them. "I'm this close to holding her in contempt."

"Sir, that's a cruel punishment for us, to be caged." Mercy gasped. "Let me speak to her. Please."

"If you think you can be her to show respect for this court..." Emmett nodded. "You have 5 minutes."

"Thank you." He turned to his young packmate. "Mercy, you aren't helping by arguing with the attorney."

"But.."

"Quiet."

"Yes, Beta."

"I don't care if he asks you stupid questions; he doesn't understand us. Neither do the rest of the humans. They think we're monsters."

"Mr. Forrester..." a warning tone.

Emmett raised a hand. "You will answer the questions put to you directly when you are in that chair. You will not argue; you will not question; you will not give opinions. Do you understand?"

Mercy looked at bit cowed. "Yes, Beta."

Emmett looked at the judge. "She will behave now."

"Why does she call you Beta, Mr. Forrester?"

"The Alphas lead our pack; I am one of the seconds."

"I see." The judge looked at the bailiff. "Alright, call the jury back."

It took a while for the jury to reassemble. There was, as usual, an inequity in bathroom facilities and the ladies took longer to return. They noticed a radical change in the young witness' demeanor.

Mercy quietly and calmly explained the rest of the incident. The shot that killed Jamie, the human walking away, the arrival of reinforcements, Jamie's father and brother, the police, back to the den, "Den? A hole in the ground?" "No, it's a big building we live in." "A house." "OK."

At that point, Mercy, to her great relief, was released from the witness stand.

"The prosecution rests, your honor."

The gavel, again. "Closing arguments tomorrow, gentlemen. Court adjourned."

-------

Tina, freshly showered after her match, came out of the locker room scrubbing a towel over her short hair.

"Hey, T, a couple of us are off to the bar. Coming?"

She considered a reply. Having him there now made her vaguely uncomfortable. "Nah, not tonight. Thanks, Jake."

He smirked a bit. "Need a ride home?"

Tina didn't live too far away and she didn't have a car. But, though it might sound like a congenial offer, she didn't doubt that he'd try to get in the door and pressure her into sex. Again, not in the mood. "No, thanks. I'll walk."

"C'mon, I'll make it worth your while."

"No, Jake. Go meet the guys." She threw her bag over her shoulder and headed for the door. She passed Devlin. Tall. Dark. Quite a hunk. Looked tasty. But very married.

"Comin' with us, T?"

"Not tonight, Dev."

"Got a hot date?"

"Yep, a pint of Rocky Road and bed."

"Alright then, have a good one."

The females never wanted anything to do with her nor could she stand any of them. Simpering. Shoving their tits in everyone's faces. Weak. She had always gone out to drink with the males. Less chance of trouble that way.

Home was ten blocks. She could get there pretty quickly if she wanted to jog but it was a pretty reasonable out so she just started hoofing it. As Tina walked, she parsed the various smells she picked up: rats, old tacos, bird shit, urine, male, of course, dog, some collie mix, curry... After a while, she concentrated on sounds, cats, mating, a couple of blocks over, and argument, a slap, a window opening.

Wait. What? "Son of a bitch." She mumbled under her breath.

"Yeah, I guess I am. Sorry, didn't mean to startle you."

"What the hell are you doing here?"

"Just walking around. You know what it's like, needing to move."

"Yeah, why here?"

"I live a few blocks over, dunno why I turned this way."

"Well, stop it. Stay the hell away from me. Stay outta my bar."

"OK. Jeez. Said I was sorry. I'm outta here." He turned around, paused. "One question, before I go."

She growled at him and kept her distance. ''I need to find a place to go for a good run. Could you give me clue?"

Tina stopped and stared at his back. They needed a wild place to run; their wolf required it, especially here with so many humans. He was new here, probably hadn't been able to scout out a good place.

He stood, shoulders tense, head down a bit. She gusted a breath. "Patriot Park, west side."

"Thanks," he walked away.

Great. Now she'd just put a strange wolf into one of her favorite places. What was she thinking?

-------

The wolves out on patrol stopped and sniffed the air. Rain coming, it was going to be a fairly miserable run for those who had to work outside tonight. Wolf fur would shed a light rain, but grumbles in the distance meant they were likely to get a downpour.

It was around 1 a.m. when the bolt struck near the den. Mercy woke, screaming.

She was in a room with three other young females, two of which immediately shifted to wolf. They stood, bristling, growling, looking for a threat.

Feet pounded down the hall.

[Threat assessment?] It was the Alpha, ready to mobilize the pack.

Three males burst in. One of the young females sprang at them. Roland caught her, but Anton got a bite due to his proximity. [No intruders, Alpha. Looks like a nightmare.]

Mercy had squashed herself into a corner and was sobbing, panting.

[Alright, everyone. Stand down.]

Justin came down the hall. "Mercy!"

Roland dropped Ivy back to the ground where she whimpered and tucked her tail. "It's OK, Ivy, you were protecting a pack mate." She glanced up at him and slunk over to her bed.

Sally lifted her head, sniffed, and padded over. She licked the scratches on his arm and he nudged her toward her bed.

Justin pushed through the older males and closed on the trembling young female in the corner. "It's OK, Mercy. It's just thunder."

She reached for him and they folded together, holding each other tightly, mourning their loss.

Roland reported to his parents, and the Betas, about the actions of Ivy and Sally. It was useful to know which of the females had the instinct to shift and protect. In the event of emergency, they could likely be relied on to render assistance in defense of the pack.

They'd both be assigned additional training.

-------

She was glad that she could manage training her pup without being present at all times. Today it was stopping him from growling at her second. There was no good reason for him to dislike Sampson, but he did. It was even odder that he had no trouble with Sampson's mate, Phillip.

So, today, Stephanie had the panic room strewn with clothing that Sampson had worn. Phillip would be in the room with him to monitor the situation. But first would be getting him to the den. That was also a work in progress, as he had been allowed to ignore a call to come in for too long.

[Clayton, come to mama's office.]

She knew where he was, out in the field chasing grasshoppers. Harris had him in sight and would drag him in if need be. She wouldn't call again; he had to learn to obey at first call.

Clay heard his mama tell him to come in but wanted to get a couple more grasshoppers. Hey, a rabbit. He started the chase when Harris moved in to grab him.

Clay dodged; Harris missed. [Joseph, help me grab the Alpha heir.]

It was a short-lived Keystone Kops skit. Joseph ran over and slid on a patch of mud. Harris overran the young pup, ending up in the bushes. They both closed on him and, as Clayton stuck his nose in the rabbit hole, Harris tripped over Joseph and landed on the Alpha heir.

Clay, flattened by a large male, yipped and scrabbled to get out. Joseph managed to grab him before he got loose. Scratched and muddy, they hauled the protesting youngster to their Alpha's office.

Stephanie looked them up and down and a ghost of a smile touched her lips. "Close the door and drop him."

Clay hit the floor and circled the room, looking for a way out.

"Clayton, why didn't you come when I called?

He paused, scratching at the door. [Grasshoppers.]

"Not a good reason. You'd get back to fun faster if you come when I call. Come here."

The wolf pup turned, looked at her, and growled. "Now."

[Harris, bring him to me.] She shifted to wolf as Harris grabbed her son. [Put him on the ground.] Stephanie put her teeth on his neck and Harris stepped back.

Clay squirmed and she tasted blood. [Mama.] he whined.

[If you stood still it wouldn't hurt.]

Clay huffed but stood still. He was stubborn, but learning. [Will you go to the panic room if I let you go?]

No quick answer. He was debating what it would cost him to defy her. [Harris. Joseph. You will escort and assure the Alpha heir goes to and into the panic room.] Stephanie did not target her send but allowed it to be widely broadcast so that the whole pack knew what was going on. They all knew, and understood, that they were to grab and return him if he got away.

A couple of the adolescent males who had helped him get away had already been punished for disobeying her order. The kitchen staff had also been told not to give him any further treats until he started minding her. She had frightened one of the younger females when she started to buckle to his wheedling.

They all needed to follow her orders and she was asserting her dominance in a different way. A wolf pack needed a strong leader or it descended into uncertainty and chaos.

This was thought to be part of the origin of rogue behavior; the last thing the packs needed at this juncture.

Clayton made no sound, no noise. Stephanie moved quickly and bit his nose, growling. [Go to the panic room. Inside it.] She released her hold and he slunk away, thinking his mama was mean. He was gonna come in...

Harris and Joseph were coming with him to make sure he went to the room. Down the stairs, down the hall. Around the corner. The door was open. He smelled Phillip going in.

-------

His Alpha believed Clayton would hesitate in the doorway and had told him to grab the pup by the scruff and drag him in. Then slam the door. The Alpha heir was to spend half an hour in a room filled with Sampson's scent. At which point Sampson was to go in.

If Clay growled, or attacked him, Sampson was to knock him down and hold him until he stopped, bite his nose, or cuff him beside the head - depending on circumstances.

He couldn't even take comfort with Phillip, who had covered himself in his mate's scent and been told not to intervene.

As expected, Clay stuck his nose in the doorway.

Phillip grabbed him and tossed him into the room, slamming the door before the pup landed.

Clay bounced, turned, growled, and launched himself at the door. He shifted to human and grabbed for the door handle.

Phillip blocked him, leaning back against the door so the pup couldn't open it. He glanced at the digital clock up on the wall. Eight forty-two.

Half an hour. It already seemed like forever. Clay was yanking on the doorknob, using his entire bodyweight to try and open the door, grunting with the effort.

It was annoying.

Eight forty-three.

Luna, he was stubborn.

Another male would have cuffed him and thrown him across the room by now. What should he do? The pup liked him and he didn't want to do anything to hurt their relationship. But... Eight forty-four.... he had to learn respect as well. How would he treat them, when he became Alpha, when he had been spoiled?

Yes, Phillip saw things that others didn't. While his mate was Beta, he was still treated as a lower ranking wolf. The others, being somewhat dismissive, would talk about things in his presence or tell him things they wouldn't bring to Sampson or their Alpha. Since he also took care of the lawn and grounds he also saw things, either overt or covert.

Sigh. He grabbed Clay and tossed him back across the room.

Clayton yelped when he landed, then shook himself, growled, and charged Phillip.

Phillip, like all other males, had some fighting experience, some training. He stood his ground against the small pup's charge and batted him sideways when he got close enough.

Still mad, the pup launched himself at Phillip again, to the same effect. And again. And again. Eight fifty.

"Clayton, stop it." Clay looked at him and grumbled. "You have to learn to mind your mama. Everyone else does."

Clay huffed and turned his back, heading for one of the couches. Jumping on, he started to curl up, sniffed, and got off.

He sniffed the other couch, growled, checked the chairs, the beanbags, the clothes on the floor. "Yup, everything."

Continuing to growl, he walked over to on of Sampson's shirts, lifted his leg, and peed on it.

Phillip winced. It was the shirt that Phil really liked to see on his mate.

Clay then shoved a mess of clothes out of the way, clearing a space. He turned a circle three times and laid down, curling his tail over his nose.

Nine oh one.

It was nine twenty six when Phillip went to the door to let Sampson in. Clay cracked an eye and set up a low growl. Sampson sighed and turned to kiss his mate. Phillip, the more demonstrative of the two, grabbed Sampson, slid his hands around to his butt, and pulled him against him. The kiss got a little deeper.

The growl from the corner got a little louder.

With a pat on Phil's behind, Sampson pulled away and regarded the pup in the corner. A sniff. "Selene. What did he piss on?"

"Your green shirt."

Sampson closed his eyes and counted to ten. Then twenty.

He walked over, picked up the saturated item, and dropped it on top of the growling pup. "Mate, I don't think..." Bristling, Clay jumped up, shook off the shirt, and bit Sampson's leg.

Sampson snarled, shook the pup off, and started his shift.

Clay saw what was happening, yelped and scrambled to hide behind Phillip's legs.

Sampson chose intermediate form - a furred bipedal form sporting claws and a muzzle with long canines. It took practice and experience to maintain the form. The young had real difficulty with it. Some, actually, never got the hang of it and could only take wolven or human form. Phillip felt the pup also changing form behind him, to his more vulnerable human form.

Sampson strode across the room and grabbed Clay by the arm. His mate seemed fearful of what he might do and protective of the pup. The command was gravelly, "Get out." Phillip hesitated. "Now."

Clayton whined. [Mama.]

Stephanie heard her pup's call and started to move, stopped, steeled herself. She went back to what she was doing. While he might get some slight injuries, Sampson wouldn't hurt him badly.

Alone in the room, Sampson picked the Alpha heir up, clutching him to his chest. Sampson walked to a couch and sat as Clayton set up a growl and started to shift back to wolf.

It was two hours later that Sampson called his Alpha into the panic room.

Stephanie took a deep breath and dismissed Sharilyn. She walked out of her office, down the hall and the stairs to the panic room.

Phillip was sitting just outside the door and he looked up as she approached. [Alpha, I...] She waved him to silence.

They entered the room, which was a mess and smelled of urine.

Clayton was sprawled on Sampson's lap, asleep.

[He could only growl and whine so long.] Being that alert and keyed up was exhausting. [You owe me a new shirt.]

Stephanie smiled. [Indeed. Thank you, Sampson. I can take him.]

[I think it would be best if he woke up here, too.]

[You may be right. Alright. Phillip, you may join your mate.]

Phil came in. Sat beside Sampson and lifted Clayton's back end into his lap. A slow, sleepy growl escaped the pup, who quickly fell back asleep.

Stephanie smiled as she closed the door on the three. Phil had laid his head on Sampson's shoulder.

-------

Tina growled under her breath. He was here again. At the bar. Not paying attention to her though he would know she was in the building.

Damn. Sure, it was a public place but it felt like he was encroaching on her territory. She glanced that way and sat down with the guys. She decided, right then and there, that he was not gonna run her out of her place.

She kept an eye on him and saw him order and drink his second beer. She went up to get the next round.

KemMyst
KemMyst
1,303 Followers
12