TSS 3: Knight's Son Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"About time you got home," Adam snapped as I walked in.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I snapped back. Then I took a step out the door and verified I'd walked into the correct room. I shouldn't have, though, because I recognized how my small portion of the room was decorated. "And where is Josh?" Joshua Bins is my roommate and believes in my blurse as much as I do. Usually, we'll laugh about it after a night out, but I hadn't seen him since yesterday. He didn't go out with us because he was Mormon or something, and they don't drink alcohol.

"He said he had to get to work," Adam said as he stood up from my desk and walked up to me. "What happened last night? I thought I was supposed to go home with the chick, not you."

"And he just left you alone in our room?" I asked, liking this guy less and less. I recalled my interrogation earlier and wondered if he was the supernatural creature I came into contact with recently? Did I have to be careful about any magical abilities? Could he read my mind?

"Don't ignore my question," Adam sneered. "I did everything right. I was the one who was supposed to have my world rocked with mind-blowing sex. It was my birthday. Why do women always choose the assholes?"

I stood there, staring at the guy, trying to comprehend what he was going on about. How was I an asshole? What'd I do to him to bring on this anger? Sure, I left with Charlotte, but it wasn't my fault this imbecile believed in the blurse.

Though I had to agree that the sex last night was pretty damned good.

"I always treat women with respect," Adam went on as though I had a clue what he was raving about. "I'm a nice guy. I open doors for them, say nice things, am very respectful, and believe in women's rights. And yet they walk all over me and sleep with men like you. What's wrong with them?"

"Men like...?" I trailed off, starting to understand where this douchebag was heading. "What's wrong with them? Listen, chuckle-head. Women aren't some dating sim that you can walk up to, press 'A,' and get them to bend over for you because you say something nice. They don't have a point system that gets you laid when your score is high enough. You have to treat them like a person, not an object put on this planet for your enjoyment. And if a babe isn't interested in you, that doesn't mean something is wrong with them. It means that you don't have chemistry together. You have to find some commonality between you and build it. Not expect it to fall into your lap because you're supposedly a 'nice guy.'"

"Yeah, whatever. Women should want to have a piece of this," Adam dismissed my words as he groped his crotch. It took most of my willpower not to reach out and sock him. "But they always say it's not me and that they're leaving me before they hurt me, or some bullshit."

"I'll tell you what," I said, unclenching my jaw. "I'll give you the best advice I can think of right now."

"Oh yeah?" his eyes lit up, and I had to smother the vindictive feeling burgeoning in my chest at his excitement. What a quick change in attitude."What's that?"

"You see that door over there?" I pointed to my dorm room entrance, and he nodded. "Don't let it hit you too hard on the way out."

He blinked a couple times as his brain churned to comprehend my statement. I let my own smile split my lips as his eyes darkened. What makes him think he has the right to come in here and act like that in my room?

"Mother-fucker!" Adam flipped me off as he walked out. He stopped just outside the room, a malicious grin splitting his face. "I wonder what the Dean would say if she knew that you were running this scam? Taking advantage of people, tricking them into believing is some blurse, and paying for your drinks."

I took two steps towards him—intending to close the door in his face—but his eyes grew wide in fear, and he fled.

"Dumbass," I cursed him under my breath. I wasn't running any scam, and if the Dean had any problems, I'd gone on the record multiple times, stating I didn't believe in it. I closed the door, making sure it was locked.

Of course, that was also when I remembered I was supposed to investigate him and see if he was the freak I'd come into contact with.

Well, if he is, hopefully, he'll stay far away from me, I thought as I moved to my wardrobe to figure out what to wear.

In the end, I picked out a pair of grey slacks and a fitted black polo. It wasn't too dressy, but it wasn't lounge-wear either. I left a note for Josh, letting him know I may be home late and not to let Adam in our room again.

A cab dropped me off at the address given to me, and I felt both awe and ire rise up in my gut. The hotel I stood outside of somehow presented an air of wealth while also looking ancient. It wasn't worn down, but one of those stone buildings that would have fit in with Gotham architecture or erected during the renaissance. Of course, this was California, so I knew it wasn't that old. Gargoyles adorned the crenelations, and it stretched high into the night sky.

If the Knights had this kind of money, why did my mother and I have to grow up so damned poor? I found myself at odds, hating them for how my childhood ended up while also respecting the work they did to rid the world of the freaks.

"Your invitation?" a doorman asked as I approached the rotating doors. He must have read my blank look as he took in my clothes. I realized that once again, I was underdressed. "The hotel is booked for a private event. Without an invitation, I can't let you in."

A wild impulse to charge past the man struck me—I was a bit bigger than him, and probably faster, too—but I pushed it down and dug in my pocket. "I have this card telling me to be here. It says 'First Knight' on one side. Does it count?"

The card vanished from my hand as he took it, inspecting it. After a brief second of him rubbing it between his fingers, it went up in a puff of purple flame and smoke, much as an illusionist would create. I opened my mouth to curse at him, but he stepped aside and said, "Right this way, Sir. The entire hotel is at your service. The bar is open. When you need a room, simply talk to the front desk, and a key will be furnished. Consider our hotel to be a safe second home for the evening. Enjoy First Knight and our hospitality."

Free booze? Free hotel room? It was a college kid's dream! Not to mention one who grew up poor. It might be a Thursday night, but I planned on having a killer hangover tomorrow! What was all this First Knight nonsense, though? I guessed it was the event's name, though the look in the bouncer's eyes as he mentioned it indicated more. Hadn't Oglethorpe said something about a tradition tonight during his speech?

The lobby was just as gaudy as I'd expected, with marble pillars, statues, plush furniture, and well-dressed staff. Classical music played over invisible speakers. It was also at least four times larger than the apartment my mom lived in. A few people milled around, one of them Al.

"Bobby!" he called out, making me cringe. I waved back at him, hoping he wouldn't yell anymore in this room, as all eyes turned to regard us. Were all the new recruits this surly, or were Al and me just that easy-going?

"Hey, man," I said when he was in conversation distance. He didn't seem to care about the dirty looks we received.

"It's me, Al," he said with a slight grimace.

It took me a second to realize why he told me his name again. "I know. You sat next to me when we swore in. I haven't forgotten."

Despite all the freckles on his face, I still noticed his cheeks burning as he looked at our feet. "Sorry. Most people seem to forget or don't care. And most of this group is pretty stuck up, but you were nice to me earlier. Sorry if I insulted you."

I was nice to him? I wondered, barely remembering talking to him. If that was nice, he'd lived a rough life. A smile lit up his face a moment later, though, and I suspected not much kept him down for long.

"Can you believe we're here? We're Knights?" He slapped me on the back, his skinny arms holding more strength than I gave him credit for. "And tonight's the night! I've waited my whole life for tonight. I hope I don't screw it up."

I pulled Al to the side, wanting to have a quieter conversation with him. I lowered my voice, hoping he'd get the hint. "I didn't know my dad was a Knight until this morning. All of this is new to me."

Al's eyes grew almost as large as his open mouth. "Really? He never told you? I mean, I know my dad told me more than he was supposed to, and he always said to me that I couldn't tell anyone what he said, but we're Paladonic Knights now, so it should be safe. Right?"

"I guess," I said, not sure what else to say. Al spoke so fast, it was almost difficult to keep up with him.

"Oh, and he told me so many stories about the night when he took the oath," Al went on as though I hadn't spoken. His voice started to rise again, but then he stopped and lowered it. "But he also said that it was supposed to be a secret from new recruits."

"What is?" I asked, not sure if I wanted to keep one more secret.

"Well, typically, there are only a few new recruits at once," Al continued but stepped closer and lowered his voice even more. "So I'm hoping this will be similar."

"What is?" I asked, wishing he'd just spit it out.

"Well..." Al paused and looked around. No one else was even close, and even though he whispered, there was no mistaking the excitement in his voice. "Tonight's the night we meet our future wife."

====================

From the Author

====================

Okay, so I know there were no saucy bits in this chapter. Trust me when I say the next one makes up for that. Chapter 03, titled First Knight, will see Bobby navigating the party and learning a few things...

Also, you'll see the next part of Ardin's story. I know you're not too invested in him yet, but he plays a crucial role in Bobby's future... Even if he starts his story in 1066 AD.

As always, please leave any legitimate comments or advice below.