Two Chapter Tease

Story Info
Proof reading his story seemed like a good idea at the time.
33.7k words
4.6
10.9k
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Editor In Residence

Philip Johnson

Prologue

Greg lived next door to Laura and Wayne, her husband, who was in the late stages of colon cancer. He watched her as she picked at the few flowers she had planted and he marveled at how she, though as tall as she was, could bend down with ease as she pulled weeds. Laura wasn't an especially striking woman, but at forty two she still had a firm body and youthful skin. Her auburn hair was cut short and Greg decided she now wore it that way for ease of care because so much of her time was spent seeing to Wayne's needs. He was several years older than she was, but had always been the picture of health until that surprising and deadly diagnosis was made less than a year ago.

Chapter One

Greg made it a point to go next door and visit with Wayne, but two or three times a week was about all Greg could handle. His friend and neighbor was wasting away right in front of his eyes and no force on earth was going to halt the inevitable outcome. Not long after he had received the bad news of his impending death, Wayne had asked Greg to look out for Laura and he had started doing that by checking on her as much as on Wayne. He went out his front door and called to her as he approached the kneeling Laura. "Morning. Don't get up on my account."

Looking up she said, "Good morning Greg, how is the writing going?"

"Oh, well enough I guess, how's Wayne?"

"A little better actually, the new drugs seem to be making it easier for him. He even went over to see his sister Nina."

"Actually I came over to see how you're doing and to ask if there's anything I can do for you." She stopped what she was doing and stood up, dusted her hands off on her shorts and smiled.

"Thank you, care for some iced tea?"

"If you have time, but don't let me ruin your day."

"You never ruin our day, lets go inside." Laura was the picture of efficiency as she added ice to two tall glasses, poured the tea and added a touch of sweetener, making it just as Greg liked it. "You've never told me what your story is about or how far you're into it."

"Well, I'm about halfway through and it's my usual murder and mayhem. It starts in Maine and the story slowly unfolds and works its way west."

"Oh, that's right, you spent a few weeks on the road going from east to west."

"And right now, the story is in northern Indiana as they make their way around the great lakes."

Their idle chat continued until their glasses were empty and beyond, with Greg declining the offer for more tea. "Greg, I really enjoy seeing you, but you really don't have to keep an eye on me, I'm doing okay."

"I know you are, but I promised Wayne that I'd keep myself available to you in case something did come up."

She smiled and looked down at her empty glass, looked back up at him and said, "I know, he told me you two had a talk about me. I think he worries more about me than about what he's going through."

"Of course, because he loves you." He saw a tear appear on her cheek so he reached over and wiped it away with his finger as she silently smiled at him again.

The smile disappeared again and her voice softened as she looked down again and said, "I know the new medication is helping him to feel better, but it will do nothing to stop the cancer."

Greg reached across the table and touching her hand said, "I know, and I'm so sorry and I hurt for you."

She looked up at him and said, "But Wayne is the one that is dying," and the tears flowed unchecked.

"I know Laura, but there really is no medicine to help your hurt and that breaks my heart. I just wish there was something that I could do for you."

She didn't worry about her tears as she showed a small smile and said, "Just knowing you're there for us...for me, helps more than you know." Then she stood up and said, "I better put myself together before Wayne comes home. I don't want him to catch me crying. He sees that too often as it is and that just puts more on his shoulders."

Greg stood up and she joined him as they moved toward the door. They shared a long embrace, he kissed her cheek, smiled and then as he walked out said, "Remember, I'm right next door if you need anything at all."

"Thank you Greg." She watched him cut across the lawns and then closed the door.

Greg didn't see Nina, Laura's sister in law, more than a few times a year, but when she called several weeks later, he instantly knew it was her and that she was delivering a sad message. Her voice was controlled, but he could hear the sadness and fatigue as she said, "Greg, Wayne is gone. He died a couple of hours ago at the hospital." The long struggle, the pain, the vomiting from the drugs; all of it was over for Wayne now. Nina and Laura could begin the long healing process. The nights of crying, the heartache and feeling of being lost and alone would slowly ease and be replaced with acceptance of Wayne being gone. All of the well meaning platitudes uttered by family and friends would be forgotten, and for Laura, a new routine would slowly emerge. Time really does heal all wounds, but that too is just another of those platitudes...strings of words spoken because silence didn't seem appropriate.

Walt, Wayne's older brother came in from the west coast for the viewing and funeral, and stayed a couple more days in the hopes that he could be some help for Laura and Nina, Walt's sister, in some small way. They shared long embraces, soft words of comfort and many tears before he had to leave.

Greg kept his promise to Wayne and checked on Laura every couple of days. Like he had done every week or so before Wayne died, he checked on her again by going next door and having iced tea with her. They shared another long embrace and then as their own routine, they had tea at the kitchen table. It was where she was most comfortable and relaxed. The living room seemed too formal she had once said.

In a way it was like they were picking up their lives where they had left off so many weeks before. "How is your writing coming along Greg?"

"Stop and start. It's taken me a long time to get back into that frame of mind I guess." She smiled knowing just what he was referring to, but added nothing. My characters are now in western Iowa and on their way toward Wyoming." He knew she really didn't care where his characters were, but it was something to say.

It was then that Nina came in through the front door and moved to the kitchen as though she knew exactly where to find her sister in law. "Hi you two, mind if I join you?"

"Of course not," Laura offered. "I'll get you some tea."

"Relax, I can do it." Nina was recovering from losing her brother quite well it seemed, or perhaps it was a show for Laura's benefit. The three way conversation progressed, and Nina also asked Greg about his writing before she asked Laura, "Have you decided if you'll go back to teaching English or if you'll retire?"

"I haven't decided. I'm also considering just teaching part time if that could work out. You know substitute, or something like that." Laura's new life would slowly take shape. Her grieving was long from over, but she had decisions to make and she now had more time to see to her flowers and her friends and family.

Chapter Two

Many more weeks passed, with Greg continuing his visits and because of that he was seeing more of Nina as well. Laura was going through her stages of mourning, and Greg watched her as she slowly recovered. She was smiling more and even laughed the last time he saw her.

One Saturday morning, just to make things different, Greg called her and invited her over for breakfast and coffee and she was there within half an hour. They shared their customary embrace and then settled at the table where Greg had already placed the food. They were almost done eating when he said, "You know Laura, I do believe you look the best I've seen you in...well a very long time."

"Thank you," and she smiled before sipping her coffee.

"A touch of makeup, a pretty, and I have to say, sexy top."

"Oh this isn't so sexy at all."

"I guess it's like beauty, it's in the eye of the beholder." She smiled again, but added nothing so he said, "I'd like to ask a favor of you."

She put her cup down and with a serious expression said, "Of course, what do you need?"

"I need somebody to read a story I'm writing. You know, check the punctuation, spelling, syntax and so forth."

"But you have an editor and a researcher."

"But not for this other story." She gave him a confused look so he added, "I've been working on an erotic romance story."

"You're what? Why?"

"Just something I've been kicking around for a long time. Something I want to do for fun more than profit. I'd use a different pseudonym of course. Would you read it for me?"

Her cheeks flushed slightly as she said, "Greg, I'm sorry, but I don't read erotica."

"Don't misunderstand, it isn't porn. Just...you know lovemaking or teasing. Things that we all...well either do or have done."

She was showing a hint of a smile so he pushed ahead. "Just read a couple of chapters and see if it's something you could stay with."

"But...I mean I know you so well and to...you know...I mean I wouldn't be able to appreciate what you are doing."

"I'm sure not, but that's perfect because you'll focus on the structure and punctuation and not be distracted by the story. You'd be perfect. I know what you mean, so if you think it's something you can't do I do understand. I get into my stories sometimes and make obvious errors that I just seem to miss so I do need help."

"Okay, I'll try a couple of chapters as long as you promise not to be upset with me if I bail out on you."

"Of course not. I'd be disappointed of course, but I'd understand. I'll send them home with you on a flash drive unless you'd rather have me print them for you."

"On a flash drive would be fine. I can't believe you've talked me into reading porn...sorry, erotica," and she smiled again.

"Wonderful."

"But this will be our secret only right?"

"Of course it will be."

It was after dinner when Laura called Greg and said, "I've edited the first chapters."

"Really, so fast, that's great. I'll come over and pick them up."

"I'll have wine poured."

"Fantastic, see you in a few."

He let himself in the backdoor and found her pouring the wine at the counter. "Perfect timing," and she handed a glass of wine to him. "I think this calls for the living room. There's something about sitting at a kitchen table and wine that seems incongruous to me unless I'm eating." He followed her to the living room and sat on the couch a couple of feet from her. She put her glass on the coffee table and paused before she smiled and said, "Reading that wasn't as bad as I anticipated. Of course it's just the start of the story too."

"That's right, but I'll bet you can get an idea where the story is going."

"Well I have some guesses, but there are several ways it could go."

"Wonderful, that exactly what I wanted to hear."

"But you're right, your punctuation does need help."

"I know. Like I said, I get into my story and my fingers just get ahead of my brain sometimes."

"I've highlighted the points where I've added or corrected anything."

"Perfect. I knew we'd be great together."

She smiled, picked up her glass and said, "That remains to be seen. I never would have guessed that you'd write erotica."

"There's just a touch of pervert in me."

"As in most men," and she sipped her wine rather than look at him right then. "How much have you written on this story?"

"About fifteen chapters." He pulled another flash drive from his pocket and asked her," Ready for a couple more?"

"Sure. Nina will be here after while though, so I'll read them tomorrow."

"Great." They put thoughts of his writing aside and talked until Nina arrived. Greg talked to her a minute, kissed her cheek, then Laura's and then he went home, leaving the two of them to talk.

As Greg sat at his computer later, he thought about the chapters he had left with Laura. There was nothing overly suggestive or explicit for her to read, but the story had definitely moved ahead. He had to smile as he tried to picture her sitting at her computer reading what he wrote about over imbibing women discussing vibrators and men in general.

It was Friday afternoon before Greg heard from Laura about his third and fourth chapters. "Hi, it's Laura. I've read the next two chapters."

"Great, thanks, ready for more?"

"Um...I don't know...maybe." That wasn't what he was hoping to hear.

"It's up to you of course, so you just let me know."

"I mean, it's a good story and I've enjoyed it, but..."

"But if you're offended by it we better stop."

"It's not that I'm offended, it's just...you know awkward. I mean to talk to you about it."

"Would it help to talk about it over dinner, say at Remo's? That's the only place I can think of that might provide a modicum of privacy."

He heard her almost chuckle before she said, "Now wouldn't that be something to have somebody overhear us talking about vibrators."

"That might be kind of funny. Okay, we'll whisper or send notes back and forth. Okay, try this. Let's go have dinner and then if we talk about it good and if we don't okay."

"Okay, say in half an hour?"

"Great, I'll pick you up, bye." Once he was ready, he put two more chapters onto a flash drive just in case she said yes, grabbed his keys and drove next door.

Chapter Three

Laura was wearing cream colored slacks and a satiny top with fine brown stripes wrapping around her at an angle. Small heels and a deep brown beaded necklace. "Very nice Laura. Sexy too."

"Now stop trying to be so nice, I'm not sexy," but before he could reply she dropped her house key and bent over to pick it up.

He saw her slacks pull across her butt and he smiled as he stared. "I'm very impressed."

She quickly straightened up and asked, "Impressed with what," she asked innocently.

He pretended that he hadn't even noticed her trim ass, and just as Wayne had told her before he died, Greg said, "You bent over without even bending your knees. I can't believe how flexible you are."

"Oh that. I work hard to stay flexible."

"It shows. I noticed your slacks fit you perfectly too." That was when she flashed red on her cheeks, but she said nothing, smiled and led the way to the door.

Remo's was fairly busy, but they managed to get a booth by waiting a few minutes and letting the next couple go ahead of them. The only jeans that would be seen at that restaurant would be the stylish jeans worn with high heels by thin and very nicely adorned women. But on the other hand, very few ties would be found there.

Greg made sure they had wine to sip on right away and then they studied the menu. "You order first Greg, I'm still deciding," she said. He ordered the herb roasted pork, garlic potatoes and green beans, and she had too much on her mind so she said, "I'll have the same," and handed the menu to the waiter.

"How is Nina," Greg asked her for something to say.

She's fine and asked about you as well. The three of us will have to go out one of these nights."

"I thought of that for tonight, but then that wouldn't work, considering what we will be talking about."

"Greg...about your story."

"It's okay if you need to stop."

"No. I know we were going to keep all of this a secret, but I told Nina about it and she read the chapters too, I hope that doesn't make you mad."

"I guess not, did she have anything to say?"

"Just that she liked it a lot."

"I'm glad to hear that. So what...how was it for you this time? Tough on you?"

"Not tough really but..." and she licked her lips as she worked on how to explain her feelings. "I have a question first. How did you...how do you know what women talk about when their drunk and the subject is men?"

"I don't know, I just guessed. I mean anything could have been said, especially considering they were getting pretty juiced. Was I too far off track?"

Laura laughed and said, "I have no idea. I've never talked to other women about men when I was halfway to drunk." Then she recalled different parts of that fictitious conversation and stopped for a second. "They sure got down to the basics didn't they."

"I guess they did, but they were all talk." He refilled her wine glass and watched her.

She made eye contact with him, tasted her wine again and then asked him, "Have you ever known any women like that?"

"Two to be precise. Oh they weren't very forthcoming with me most of the time, but I heard enough that I could fill in the blanks, and others would admit to what had been said...or even done for that matter."

"I mean it isn't like I've lived in a vacuum, I know about vibrators," and then she stopped, flashed a quick smile and said, "I mean I've heard about them and so forth not that I...damn it you know what I mean."

"Yes, I know what you mean. Laura if this is too difficult for you, let's stop."

"No, damn it, I'm not some naïve eighteen year old. I know about adult toys and erections and..." and that's when she realized she was talking too loud. In a softer voice she said, "I'm okay, I really am. Did you bring the next chapters?"

"Yes, but I'm not convinced this is a good idea for you."

"It's fine, it gives me something to do, to focus on. I'm not doing much teaching so this keeps my mind alive. You really are a good writer."

As he handed the flash drive to her he said, "Thank you, it's important to me that you like my work."

"Why is that?"

"Because you're very important to me."

"I'm glad. I guess it would have been okay to have Nina along after all, we're handling this just fine. It's still hard to look at you and not hear those women talking dirty. That it's you that wrote all of that. It's like...I know this sounds silly, but it's like I have a window into your very private and intimate world. Like I was standing there as you wrote those words. It's...I give up, I can't come up with the right words."

"You're doing just fine."

"Want to know one of my very intimate secrets?" He was smiling and his eyes were dancing as she studied him.

She couldn't help but return the smile, but she hesitated. I'm not sure...okay, what?"

"I was sitting there in my skivvies as I wrote that." Her eyes went wide and she stared in silence.

His smile continued so she said, "You did not, now stop making it hard...making it worse for me."

"I'm telling you the truth. Sometimes in the morning I'll get an idea and go straight to my computer before I lose the thought. That's what happened with that conversation the women had. I didn't even have coffee for the first hour in fact."

"Oh great, now how do I get rid of that visual? Now every time I read something I'll wonder if you were dressed when you wrote it."

"The next time I write in my underwear I'll...I'll precede it with an asterisk."

"No, don't do that. Just write okay?"

"Okay. So Nina read all about the drunk women talking about men's attributes and um...shortcomings."

"Yes. You even made both of us laugh a couple of times."

"Would you say I was reasonably believable?"

"I didn't ask Nina, but I'd say you were very believable."

"That's good."

"Greg, will this story get a lot more graphic?"

"Would you like it to?"

"What kind of question was that, of course not. I was just wondering."

"No, not a lot more graphic, but there will have to be a few scenes of lovemaking or something like that."

"You don't even know?"

"Not yet, at least not exactly. I'll continue to work out the details as I go."

"That surprises me." She needed to get on to another subject. "Greg, thank you for asking me to dinner. This has been very nice and of course I always enjoy your company, even considering the subject of conversation."

123456...9