Two Letters

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
GatorRick
GatorRick
771 Followers

A little after nine in the morning the first truck arrived with my new furniture followed by the truck from the storage facility with the antiques. By noon everything was in place. The fellow that rented me the contractor trailer showed up just before one. He was really surprised, and very appreciative, when I told him the trailer was now equipped with furniture for his next customer. He was hooked up and gone by one-thirty.

Just before two o'clock the lawn service crew arrived for their regularly scheduled maintenance. Ramon was accompanied by three of his sons and one of his many grandsons. Ramon had taken care of the place ever since I could remember.

Oma had told me shortly after Opa Karl's death how it all came about. Ramon Garcia was a Cuban refugee, arriving in the US in 1960. He, his mother and two younger sisters had escaped Castro and the new communist government in a small boat. His father had been killed in the attempt to flee. At age fifteen he became the man of the house.

One day he was riding down the street on his bicycle pulling an old rotary mower behind him looking for work. Seeing my grandfather struggling to cut the grass on a hot July afternoon, he stopped and offered to finish the job. Opa took one look at all that remained to do and said sure, go to it. Two and half hours later the job was completed. Not only had Ramon cut the grass he found Opa's hedge clippers, trimmed all the hedges and ran the edger along the sidewalks and driveway. When my grandfather asked him how much he owed the young boy replied. "Would five dollars be too much?"

Your Opa told him five dollars was not what he had in mind. The job was worth at least twenty-five dollars. He asked Ramon to stop by once a week during the summer and once a month in the winter.

One day, shortly after I had returned home, Ramon finished my grandmother's story. Ramon went on to tell me that when he reached his eighteenth birthday my grandfather led him around to the back of the house, by the garage, where a used Ford pickup truck complete with trailer stood in the driveway. On the trailer was a riding lawn mower, gas edger and a string trimmer.

"Your grandfather gave me a piece of paper, the keys to the truck and wished me a Happy Birthday."

"Patron, I told him. I cannot accept this from you. It is too much."

"Do you know what he told me?" He said. "Ramon, I have watched you for almost three years ever since you started doing my lawn work. You never put forth less than one-hundred percent effort for me. This is my gift to you for your years for hard work and loyalty. You WILL ACCEPT this my young friend."

"Patron Rick, I cried and thanking him I promised that I would take care of this house for as long as it stood. He gave me the start to build a business that has been very good to me and my family over the years. When your grandfather died it was if my own father had died. Of course, I continued to care for this property for your grandmother until she died and I grieve for her as well."

"My sons know of this promise and their young sons as well. We will always be here for you, too. Your grandfather and grandmother were wonderful people and my family misses them. They, as well as you, are in our prayers every night."

It was a few weeks after this when I noticed that Ramon's riding mower was giving him problems. The next time he and his sons showed up to work on the property a new John Deere X-700 lawn tractor was in the driveway with a big bow and a Happy Birthday sign attached to it. It wasn't his birthday but it was close enough. After some haggling he accepted it and, with tears in his eyes, he told me I was just like my grandfather. I could think of no greater compliment.

Later in the afternoon, while sitting on the back porch, after having moved in, I heard a car in the driveway. Walking around to the side porch I watched Pat Riley get out of his SUV and stroll toward the house.

Greeting him I asked. "How did you find me?"

"It wasn't easy." He replied. "May I have a few minutes of your time?"

"Sure. I've got nothing but time now. Come around back and join me on the porch for a drink."

As we walked around to the back steps to the porch I quickly stepped into the house and returned with a bucket of ice, two glasses and a bottle of 'Wild Turkey 101'.

After pouring both of us a generous amount of the 'Turkey' I repeated my question. "How did you find me?"

"I tried to call in favors from some of my former shipmates but they came up empty. I called your Uncle Jack's office but was told he was out of the country and, no, they would not release any information about you. Your cell phone number is no longer in service. So it was tough."

I thought about my new cell phone lying on my desk, turned off and probably needing to be recharged. I hadn't seen any reason to turn it on.

"Anyway." Pat continued. "The day before yesterday I got lucky. I called one of my buddies in San Diego, explained what I needed, and he knew a friend who knew a friend that knew someone over at Coronado. He called me this morning with your address and made me swear not to divulge where I got it."

"Rick, she is a mess. She can't sleep, won't eat and is on administrative leave from the hospital because she can't function at her job. She has lost over fifteen pounds, that she can't afford. Every time she looks at that ring box on the dining room table she starts crying hysterically. Her mom won't put it away. That box stays there to remind her of what she threw away."

"When 'Reen' and I walked into the house that day and saw what you must have seen I was enraged. I took that bastard and physically threw him out of my house. Told him I better not ever see him again or he wouldn't live long enough to regret it. Then her mother and I started in on her."

"She was pretty much unresponsive. Almost if she was drunk out of her mind. 'Reen' put her to bed and I went to check my surveillance tapes."

"Surveillance tapes?" I questioned.

"Yeah. About ten years ago I was stationed at Norfolk and our house was broken into a couple of times. The cops were no help. So I got some video cameras and set them up to record to my computer's hard drive whenever there was any movement in our living quarters. I'd activate the system whenever we left in the morning and check it in the evenings when we all returned home. Caught the little SOB's two weeks later."

"When we moved to Orange Park I set up the system again. When I reviewed the recording I saw what happened. That son-of-a-bitch put something into her glass when her back was turned. I took the bottle and the two glasses to the cops along with a DVD copy of the surveillance recording. They tested it. The bottle came up clean but one glass, the one with her lipstick on it, came back positive for Rohynol, Ketamine and GHB."

"That bastard drugged her and was going to rape her. But that is still not an excuse for her. She never should have let him in the house in the first place. I'm still pissed at her for that, but she is my daughter and I love her. Would you, could you, please talk to her?"

Taking a big sip of my drink I said. "OK. My turf. Tomorrow night around six. All three of you come for dinner and we'll see if we can straighten out this mess."

Handing me a DVD in a plastic case he implored me to look at it after he left. I said I would. Later that evening as I viewed the DVD it depicted everything as he described. I promised myself if I ever ran across Paul Morgan he would pay dearly for his actions.

Chapter Six

The following night Pat's SUV rolled into the driveway a little before six. He and Maureen each grabbed one of Susan's hands and gently led her up the steps to the front door. Attached to the wall just above the doorbell was a bronze plaque I had made. The dedication simply read.

Opa Karl Frederick Hauff

1921 - 1999

Oma Marie Christina Hauff

1922 - 2011

A House Filled with Love

After reading it, as I knew they would, Pat rang the doorbell. I opened the door to find Pat and Maureen standing next to their daughter a half step behind her. I extended my hand to Susan and welcomed her to my home. She looked so forlorn and vulnerable I immediately swept her up into my arms.

"I've seen daddy's surveillance video and by watching it I can imagine how much hurt and pain you must have endured. I am so sorry." She softly cried onto my shoulder.

I embraced her tightly and smelled the fragrance of her hair. Kissing the top of her head I responded. "We'll talk about all this later. Right now let's enjoy the evening together."

Placing my arm around her I guided her into the family room which opened onto the kitchen.

"Please sit down and make yourself comfortable while check on the progress of our meal. I'm making something special and it should be ready in about thirty minutes." I said. "What would like to drink? I know Pat would like a 'Wild Turkey', how about you girls? We are having a white wine with dinner, so a cocktail is probably more appropriate."

Maureen opted for a rum and coke while Susan wanted just a coke saying. "Alcohol got me in trouble once and I'm not taking any chances tonight."

After I served the drinks to everyone we sat and looked at each other. No one wanted to recognize the 800 pound gorilla in the room. Finally, I broke the silence.

"Susan, I'm so sorry that I haven't talked to you for all these months." I started saying. "I was inconsiderate and hurtful to you and I sincerely apologize for that. Can you find it in your heart to forgive me?"

"I watched the first part of the DVD your father gave me. After I saw what that man did to you I couldn't continue past that point." I confessed. "I should have done something to protect you from . . . ."

"Rick! Stop right now. You didn't know, how could have known, that he drugged me. I am just ashamed that I even gave him the opportunity. He had been coming by work after I finished my shift wanting to talk, wanting to say how sorry he was for treating me so badly and for stealing my savings. I accepted his apology and he asked if he could see me again."

"I said I didn't know, that I would have to think about it. I was surprised when he showed up at the house that day. He had a bottle of champagne with him. He said he wanted to celebrate with me. That he had been offered a part in a film back in California and would be leaving to return there in a few days. I said OK and invited him inside. You know the rest."

"What you saw must have crushed you and . . . ."

"Stop right there, young lady," Maureen broke in. "Don't beat yourself up over what that, that bastard did to you."

"Rick, there is nothing that I need to forgive you for. Can you find it in your heart to forgive me?" Susan said

I got up from my seat and went over to entertainment cabinet and retrieved the DVD in its plastic case. Walking back I sat next to her on the sofa and handed her the case.

"Susan, what happen is in the past. Our future is ahead of us." I said handing her the case.

She looked at the case and opened it. I had broke the DVD disk in half before replacing it back inside the protective case. With a small sob she broke the two pieces in half again and then wrapped her arms around me.

I saw tears in both Pat and Maureen's eyes and I know they were flowing freely from my eyes as well. We all sat there for several minutes not saying a word.

Just then the timer I had set alerted me that dinner was ready. "Let's eat." I announced.

I had prepared baked grouper 'Bimini' style. That is, stuffed with crabmeat and shrimp. Accompanying it was a fresh salad, baked potato and a green bean casserole with fried onions. OK. I'll admit the recipes came from Ramon's wife, Isabella. But I did manage prepare it all by myself.

After dinner we adjourned back to the family room for a generous slice of key lime pie and a cup of coffee.

"Now I have a confession to make . . . well not really a confession but I want to share with you some news."

"As you know my grandmother passed away some months ago." I said. "And I inherited her estate. Along with this house, she left me some money that I used to perform the renovations."

I was not entirely sure that I wanted to share the true amount of my inheritance right at that moment. Everyone congratulated me on my good fortune and we continued speaking about the renovation of the house. Showing them what I had done in each of the other rooms took the better part of the rest of the evening.

As they readied themselves to leave, I asked Susan if she would go out with me on her next evening off.

"Any night you want to take me out will be fine. I go on the day shift tomorrow." She answered.

So we started dating again. At first it was only one or two times a week. Soon we were seeing each other almost every night after she got off work. Sometimes I would pick her up from the hospital. Other times she would take the bus or a girl friend dropped her off at home. Dinner, movies, concerts, sporting events, we did them all.

Several times we went to clubs that featured live bands. I could only dance the slow dances. Fast dances put a strain on my knee that caused it to swell and become very painful. So we sat those out. On more than one occasion some guy would come over and ask to dance. She always turned them down nicely. If they persisted she could and did become very blunt. Asking them, "What part about NO do you not understand?"

One Friday evening we went to the Irish Pub on Jacksonville Beach. We had a small table and were enjoying the evening talking with each other. I had to use the men's room and excused myself. Returning, I ran into a couple of old friends that I knew from college sitting at the bar with their wives. I told them I had someone I wanted them to meet and would they like to join us at our table. As we made our way through the crowd I saw a man sitting in my seat talking with Susan. She did not have a happy look on her face and must have said something him.

He abruptly stood up, knocking the chair over, and grabbed Susan with one hand and drew back his other as if to hit her. I reached him just before he was able to strike her and grabbed his arm, spinning him around. It was Paul Morgan. As he spun around he released Susan and took a wild swing at me striking me a glancing blow to my upper arm.

I would like to be able to tell you that I then proceeded to beat the crap out of him for the next ten minutes. But the truth is it was all over in less than five seconds. I hit him twice. Once in the solar plexus knocking the breath from him followed by a right to the face. I felt a satisfying crunch as his nose broke and his lip split open. He dropped to his knees and pitched face forward, out cold, onto the floor breaking four of his front teeth.

By the time the bouncer got to us it was all over and the cops were right behind him. My friends, as well as the couple sitting at an adjoining table, told the cops what Morgan was doing to Susan and that he swung at me first. With that they handcuffed him just as the EMTs arrived. They treated him for several minutes and he regained consciousness before the cops hauled him away. He would receive further treatment once they got him to the jail.

After taking statements from everyone who witnessed the altercation we were released and allow to leave. We found out the next day that when they searched him they found several date rape drugs in his pockets. We also discovered that there were several warrants outstanding, charging him with attempted sexual assault and sexual battery.

It took me a while to settle Susan down as she was quite upset with what had transpired. Finally, we did manage to have a friendly chat with my friends as they told her some of the crazy things we did while in school together. Susan was able, after a while, to join in the conservation but she never let go of my arm for the rest of the evening.

A couple of weeks later, in early August, I went to a jewelry store and bought another ring. I was going to ask her to marry me on her birthday. On the evening of her birthday I took her mom and dad, Uncle Jack and Aunt Beth along with us to celebrate. I made reservations at a very exclusive restaurant on the riverfront in Jacksonville.

I asked for, and was given, a secluded table overlooking the river. After the waiter took our drink orders and delivered them to us, he took our orders for dinner. It was then I asked Susan to marry me offering her the new ring.

Susan looked at me and the ring and said, "I can't. I mean I can't except this ring when I have a very special one right here in my purse."

Taking the ring, that I had purchased several months ago, still in its' tattered box from her purse she said. "This is the one I want. It will always remind me of what I might have lost every time I look at it and to make sure that nothing ever comes between our love for each again. YES! I will marry you. You have made me the happiest woman alive."

The three women immediately went into wedding planning mode. What date have you chosen, have you thought about a guest list, flowers, bridesmaids, grooms men . . . Uncle Jack and Pat kinda just rolled their eyes at me with a silly smirk on their faces. Fortunately, dinner was served and the questions stopped for a short time while we ate.

Over dessert Susan explained what she wanted. "When I was a little girl my fantasy wedding was to be married in a huge church with hundreds of guests. My wedding gown would have a train twenty feet long and I would carry a bouquet of white roses. I dreamed of a lavish reception with a live band and sumptuous food. But now I realize that those kind of weddings are best left as fantasies." She said looking at her mom and dad.

"What I really, really want is to be married to a man I love with all my heart and who loves me for who I am. So what I want now is a small affordable wedding. Just family and a few close friends. For the reception, I want to keep it small and low key. No live bands or expensive foods. As for the date I have no preference. Tomorrow, next week, next month I don't care just as long as it's Rick I marry." She said kissing me. "Just as long as it's you." She whispered in my ear.

The following day I called Maureen and asked if she and Pat would have lunch with me. I told them I had an idea that I wanted to discuss with them. She agreed and they would meet me at 'Joe's Crab Shack'. I, also, invited my Aunt Beth to join us.

I got there first and secured one of the outside tables overlooking the ocean. After we had ordered our lunch, I began explaining my idea.

"How can you afford to do all this?" Maureen asked me.

"Oh, Rick." Aunt Beth exclaimed. "You still haven't told them, have you?"

"Told us, what?" Pat asked.

I sat there looking on sheepishly when Aunt Beth just blurted it out. "He can more than afford it. Even if he spent a half million dollars it wouldn't put a dent in his bank account."

They were amazed when I finally came clean with them and told them how much I really inherited from my grandmother. I did ask that they not share this information with Susan.

Aunt Beth interrupted me once more. "Actually, Rick, you need to add another two point two million to that figure. Return on investments and interest, you know. It adds up rather quickly."

"Pat." I continued. "I don't mean to usurp your role as the father of the bride in paying for Susan's wedding. If I offend you, I sincerely apologize. I really would like to give Susan her fairy tale wedding.

Pat sat back in his seat for a moment before speaking. "No, I'm not offended. I really like your idea, but I . . . we wouldn't feel right with you footing the entire cost for what you propose."

GatorRick
GatorRick
771 Followers