Two of Us

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The was a slight pause before I said, 'To your c-'

This time it was she who interrupted me, '-If you dare say my cousins, I will actually kill you.'

'In that case, I got nothing.'

Once more Miranda laughed, before we both took large sips of our champagne. With a loud yawn, she fell backwards onto the bed causing her dress to be hiked up, revealing much of her long slender legs. She just laid there, eyes closed and spread across the mattress wearing that beautiful green silk dress, with her hair loose and free. My eyes lingered over her body for a long time. The outline of her bra became more defined as her dress bunched up on one side. Her eyes opened dreamily as she took another sip from here glass. I instantly diverted my gaze, pretending to look around the room.

'Long night?' I asked.

'Boring night. As much as I love my friends, they disappear into their relationships. I was playing fifth wheel all night.'

'You're not seeing anyone then?' I asked, surprised that I hadn't tried to tip-toe around the topic much earlier.

'Nah. Dated a couple of guys this past year, they weren't really my cup of tea,' she said sounding melancholy. 'What about you? Any pretty girls in your life?'

'A couple. None really serious,' I lied.

Truth is, I hadn't had a relationship in a very long time. But for some reason, I didn't want her to know this. Miranda had this pity streak about her that was both adoring and annoying at the same time. I normally wouldn't mind it, but when it was on the topic of my love life, I tried at all costs to avoid it.

'Could you turn the light off? I can't take the brightness,' Miranda murmured.

'You can't take the brightness? What are you, a vampire?' I said, standing up and flicking off the light switch.

The darkness was momentary as Miranda turned on a small bedside lamp between the two beds. I jumped back onto the bed to find that Miranda had refilled both our drinks. The dim lamplight definitely made for a more intimate setting.

'Are you trying to get me drunk?'

'Nate, I've known you for four years and we've never even had a drink together. Let's make up for lost time shall we.'

I obediently downed my drink in one go. I wasn't the heaviest drinker and so, it took me several seconds to recover from the intake. Miranda however, did it without pause. It was a side to her I had never seen. But despite signs that she was partially inebriated, she remained her normal fun loving, bright self.

'If I had known you enjoyed drinking this much, I would've asked you to a bar instead of coffee.'

She smiled and refilled our drinks again. 'Well, it probably wouldn't have worked. You know how busy I am with University.'

'Hey, I'm studying law degree, but I still make time for friends. Unlike you, I don't shoot down every offer to hang out that comes my way,' I said, sounding more bitter than I had planned.

Miranda lowered the glass from her lips and looked at me. She had obviously heard the change in tone. I tried to read her expression. I couldn't. Her stare was piercing, but I just calmly looked right back. There wasn't anger or annoyance in her eyes though. I started to get the feeling it was she who was the one trying to read my expression.

'Are you angry at me?' she asked calmly and quiet.

'Disappointed,' I said, choosing the word carefully.

'Because we don't hang out?'

'Because you never try. I'm always the one to call you. And you're always the one who rebuffs me. Eventually I stopped calling because I felt like I was becoming a nuisance. I mean, I've seen you a few times since high school. But I feel like tonight is the first time we've actually, you know......done something since high school.'

'It's not something I do consciously Nate. I just, I prioritise my studying. And when I'm not studying, I'm working. And when I'm not working, I'm babysitting my brothers and sisters,' she paused for a long moment, 'I'm sorry.'

'Don't be. I didn't want to argue. And I'm sorry I even brought this up. I guess I'm just, a bit needy,' I said honestly.

Things had suddenly become tense between us. And for a moment, I considered putting on my shoes and calling a taxi. But that was the thing about Miranda; she always knew just what to do in order make a bad situation better, whether it was a comforting word, a change in topics, an inappropriately funny joke or anecdote; but in this case, she downed her glass of champagne, grabbed the bottle and jumped, actually jumped, onto my bed and refilled both our drinks. She did so with such energy and exuberance that I couldn't help but smile.

'I hate bickering with you like we're an old married couple,' she said before raising her glass. 'To our friendship.'

I smiled and tapped my glass against hers with a loud clink. She began to lean against me, with her head on my shoulder. My arm instantly wrapped around her waist, I felt smooth silk beneath my touch and the warmth from her body emanating through the thin fabric. Simultaneously, her perfume filled my nostrils. It was the same sweet scent that she had been wearing since high school. Instantly recognisable and oh so alluring. I couldn't deny how nice this felt as we both sat there together and drank yet another full glass of champagne. I carefully brushed her hair away from my face and tucked it behind her ear; the whole time, trying my best not to make it seem like I was hitting on her.

Staring down at the half empty bottle in her hands, I was caught off guard by how much we had drunk. Admittedly, part of me was also happy with the knowledge that my tolerance for alcohol was obviously improving. Miranda went to pour herself another glass but this time for whatever reason, she ended up spilling most of it across the front of her dress and into her lap. The tension was well and truly gone at this point as we both just laughed uncontrollably to the extent that she collapsed onto the mattress in front of me with laughter.

'Not that I don't like the idea of seeing you get completely smashed, but how much did you have to drink, prior to coming home?' I asked leaning over her.

She looked up at me, her face red from what I'm guessing was partly embarrassment and partly the alcohol. She propped herself up on her elbows, attempting to compose herself.

'Oh, I don't know, this and that,' she said.

'Come on. Be honest.'

'I had a bunch of shots with the girls.'

I gave her my best attempt at a stern look. She just laughed. 'Is that your angry and serious face?!'

I joined her in laughter, 'Yes, yes it is.'

'I'm not drunk Nate. Not yet anyway.'

She looked down at her dress which now had dark spots down the front where the champagne had spilt. I reached into my pocket and pulled out a napkin I had taken from Linda's party earlier and handed it to her. She mumbled her thanks and begun to start dabbing at the wet spots. It didn't seem like much, but after a short moment, she undid the zip running down the front of her dress and began dabbing in and around her cleavage. Naturally, I didn't know whether to stare or just look away. Miranda was not normally the type to essentially feel up herself with a napkin, but I attributed it immediately to the alcohol.

'Oh God, it's in my bra,' she mumbled, barely loud enough for me to hear.

She looked up at me to see my eyes wildly darting back and forth between her wet cleavage and to random objects around the room. As if becoming aware of the brief show she had just given me, she let out a tired chuckle and said,

'Maybe it's best if we don't spend the rest of the night drinking.'

I nodded in agreement. 'So I'm sleeping here tonight?' I asked, pointing down at the bed.

'Yep. I'm just going to my room to change out of these clothes. Make yourself comfortable, I'll be right back.'

Miranda got up from the bed and for a second, I was unsure how solid her footing would be. But she just stood up and walked casually out of the room with no problem. I took the champagne glasses and bottles and left them on the beside table before standing up and taking off my shirt. It was at this point that I was glad with the fact I was wearing an undershirt. A short trip to the bathroom and I was standing back in the guest room, unsure about whether I should prepare for sleep yet. I was still wearing my jeans but I decided then to leave them on until Miranda finally went to sleep for the night. The last thing I wanted was to look visibly aroused in front of her, especially with her comments earlier about not getting involved with friends.

I don't know exactly what I was expecting to happen when Miranda came back in. Part of me just expected her in her pyjamas and giving me a hug before bidding me goodnight. Instead, she walked back into the room about 5 minutes later, visibly refreshed wearing only a tank top and a very tiny pair of shorts. I had never seen her show this much skin. The white tank top was small, thin and borderline see through from the right angle. The absence of a bra also produced a visible bounce from her breasts as she walked back in the room; her nipples poking slightly through the material. Her shorts were especially tight and couldn't have been that much larger than her panties. The same panties which I could see the waist band of, poking over the top of her shorts. With the room only lit by the bedside lamp, she looked especially stunning. I wanted nothing more than to stand up, walk towards her, take her in my arms and kiss her. Instead, I just sat there, jaw on the ground.

Miranda walked past my bed and onto the other one. She untucked the sheets and moved to lie down beneath the covers. I watched her the whole time, my arousal turning to mere curiosity for a moment.

'You're sleeping in here?' I asked.

'Well I could sleep in my room, but I didn't want to leave you all alone. It's not going to make you uncomfortable is it?'

'Of course not,' I lied.

Truth is, I'd rather she went back to her room and her bed so I could join her in there. But I didn't make this suggestion, and as a result, she laid down on the bed, letting out a yawn. She made herself comfortable beneath the sheets before turning back to me. I hadn't even moved.

'You're not going to be sleeping in your jeans are you?' she asked.

'No,' I said as casually as possible.

She turned away for a moment leaving me to unbuckled my belt and take off my jeans. The decision I had made in the morning of boxers over briefs was a life saver. I pulled the sheets out and jump into bed. I made myself comfortable and stretched my arms before settling in. Suddenly, I felt slender fingers grasp my hand and looked over to see Miranda had reached across the divide between our single beds and held my hand.

'Goodnight Nate,' she said while stroking the top of my fingers with her thumb.

I didn't quite know what this meant and so, I merely replied, 'Goodnight Miranda. And thankyou for letting me stay here.'

'You're welcome.'

Miranda turned off the lamp and there was darkness. Now the only light in the room came from the dim moonlight coming in through the curtains. There was a long silence with the only sound being our breathing. I turned in the darkness to face her. She was nothing more than a dark silhouette. And yet, that by itself was enough to get my heart racing.

***

I awoke inexplicably in the middle of the night. I couldn't explain what had woken me. Outside it was still dark as ever and there was not a sound to be heard, indoors or out. I adjusted myself in bed, trying to get comfortable before I realised something else; Miranda's steady breathing had ceased. I watched her silhouette intensely for signs of movement. There was nothing but a very slow rise and fall of her chest. She was lying perfectly still and I could barely hear her breathing. She was more quiet now then she was when she had fallen asleep. Somehow, despite the moonlight shining in through the curtains behind her, and my inability to see her face, I knew then and there that she was awake. We both laid there for sometime, both of us wide awake, but both wondering whether or not the other was or wasn't. The moment was oddly tense. Eventually, I just said quietly,

'You're awake aren't you?'

'Yes,' she replied almost instantly.

I can't explain why I did what I did next. To this day I still can't. There was no reason for it. But somehow, for some reason, I felt that the timing was right. Apart from that, there was no reasonable rationale behind it. Maybe it was be sleepiness that was affecting my judgment, but I turned on my side to face her in full. My eyes piercing the darkness, trying to see her face. I started simply by asking,

'Miranda?'

'Yes?' she replied with a slight tremor in her voice.

'I'm in love with you.'

She hesitated before saying what she said next. I barely breathed the whole time. She barely moved. She said in almost a whisper,

'I know.'

'You knew?'

'A girl always knows Nate. What I don't know is how long you have felt this way.'

'Long. Since high school even. I guess that makes it about 4 years now.'

'Why didn't you tell me?'

'I was afraid. Afraid of rejection.'

'So why are you only telling me this now?'

'I don't know. I guess I just don't care anymore. And I need you to know how I feel,' I said, with the words coming easily to me.

'I don't know what to say.'

'Say nothing. The longer you say nothing, the longer I can dream.'

There was silence once more. Neither of us moved. We just kept watching each other in the darkness. The only movement I saw was her hand move to her face followed by a quick and silent sniffle. Was she crying? I don't know. All I knew was that the next few minutes were some of the most intense few in my life.

When she said nothing after what felt like a full 5 minutes, I turned away from her and lay on my back, looking up at the ceiling. The whole world seemed to be silent. I couldn't even hear any cars out in the streets or crickets in the garden. The clocks didn't even appear to be ticking. This made the noise of her climbing out of bed that much louder. She did it without a word and I instantly closed my eyes, pretending to fall asleep, despite the fact we were only talking a few minutes ago. If she saw me, she probably would've known I was faking. But she didn't say anything. She just crept out the door and into the bathroom in the hallway. I heard running water and no other movement.

I had told her to say nothing. I was starting to regret it already. I wanted an answer. It was debatable that her silence meant she didn't feel the same way. But I wanted her to expressly say so. But she didn't. She just remained in the bathroom for a long time. I lay there, trying to think how I had gotten myself into this predicament. I was supposed to be home hours ago, after a spending a nice night celebrating a friend's birthday. And now I was here in my dream girl's house, sleeping together in the same room, and I had just told her that I loved her. It's funny how things work out sometimes. She remained in the bathroom for so long that my eyes actually became heavy. What started out as shutting my eyes to avoid her gaze, had now slowly turned into actual sleep. And I did sleep. As a result, I had no idea how long it was, from the time she went to the bathroom, to the time she came back in and she sat down beside me on my bed.

The first thing I felt her hand on my own. I opened my eyes immediately. I saw her sitting beside me. The lights were still off, the room still dark. She took my hand in both of hers and spoke quietly,

'Why do you love me?'

'Because you're the most beautiful person I've ever met. Beautiful, inside and out. You're kind, you're generous, you care...' I paused before adding, 'and you're easy on the eyes as well.'

She laughed quietly. All I wanted to do was to turn on the lights and look at her smiling face. But instead, I just laid there and listened to what she said next; entranced by her every word.

'You never gave up on our friendship did you? Of all my friends from high school, you were the one who kept trying to keep in touch.'

'I've always wanted to be in your life. And I should've told you how I felt from the moment I met you. But I was too cowardly to do so then. And every day for the past few years, every invite out for coffee was just another attempt by me build up the courage to say so.'

More silence. Now our breathing seemed to have stopped. I know that I literally held my breath and waited for her next words. She just sat there looking down at me. I could only see the rough outline of her facial features from where I laid. That and her trademark dark wavy hair. But I new she was staring intently at me. Eventually, she said in almost a whisper,

'I wish you'd tried harder.'

I smiled and replied, 'Me too.'

I felt her shift on the bed and suddenly, she leaned in and kissed me on the lips. Her soft, supple and moist lips felt like heaven against my own. It was the softest of kisses with her lips barely touching my own before she sat back up. I watched her in the darkness and suddenly, I saw her peel off her tank top and casually toss it across the room. In the darkness, I could see nothing. But the knowledge that she was topless excited me to no end. I took off my own shirt before clasping her hand and pulling her down on top of me.

The first thing I felt were her hips grinding against my own before she slipped one leg on either side of me. Suddenly, I felt her unmistakable feel of her breasts pushing up against my chest and I pulled her in for another kiss. This time, the kiss lasted. I felt her lips part and her tongue slide past and briefly make contact with my own. She purposely and with great excitement pressed her groin up against the growing erection in my pants. I let my hands leave her face and slowly slide down her neck and run across her silky smooth skin, briefly grazing the side of her breasts, before coming to rest on her shorts.

I wrapped my fingers around the waist band and slowly pulled it down her slender legs. When I moved my hands back up, I found another obstruction. This time, her panties. With her still on top of me, locked is a passionate kiss, I moved my hand underneath her and pressed it up against the front of her panties, savouring the feel of her vagina through the thin fabric. Even though I didn't do anything except run my finger up and down her opening, she let out a long pleasurable sigh and broke away from our kiss as we looked at each other in the darkness. Next, my hands slid them into her panties and firmly grasped her arse.

We stared into each others eyes. Even if the lights were on, her face would still be obscured by her dark brown locks of hair. Suddenly, I felt her sit up and slowly pull down my boxers. I adjusted myself in bed and let her remove them, leaving me naked in bed. She climb off of me and move to the edge of the bed, making several quick movements with her legs before I heard the sound of her panties landing halfway across the room. She was completely naked now. We were both completely naked. I sat up and wrapped my arm around her waist. We kissed sitting up for a moment before I swung her beneath me and slowly forced her down onto her back and climbed on top of her.

Slowly, I placed one hand on her stomach and slowly ran it over her smooth flat abdomen. I looked up at her to see her eyes were closed and her hand between her teeth, just waiting for the waves of pleasure to hit her. But I acted slowly, as my hand moved agonisingly close to her breasts. But I didn't just grab them in my hands. I slowly and sensuously ran my finger along the underside of her breasts. I savoured the firmness and the goose bumps that had spread across her skin. With only one hand, I gently squeezed her left breast and felt it mould into a different shape. I savoured the thrill of simply laying my hand flat on her breast and running my fingers over her stiff, erect nipple, feeling it beneath my fingertips one by one. I could feel her heartbeat racing beneath my palm.