Under the Mistletoe

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Now Kodi used a facial expression to set up her reply. She pushed her lower lip out a little, nodded her head then told Layton, "I like that. It's...succinct."

Layton laughed quietly then, after quickly scanning her in an acceptable way said, "Wow. You look amazing. Again."

Kodi thanked him and told he looked very dapper in a tux.

"So...I don't look like a penguin?" he asked.

"I didn't say that," she told him, trying to be serious. "I only said you look dapper."

"Okay. So...a dapper penguin then?"

She laughed politely, too, then asked how he felt about being home.

"That's a tough one," he began. "I know it's the right thing, but I really miss the Marine Corps."

"I'm sure your family is thrilled to have you back."

"I know my mom is very happy," he told her.

There was a quiet moment so Layton asked, "How about you? Are you still working?"

He smiled, nodded, then asked, "And...are you...dating yet?"

Kodi laughed and answered both questions.

"Yes and yes."

"While I'm sticking my big nose in your personal business...anyone serious?"

Kodi laughed again and told him 'no'.

"I'm just trying to get used to being single again. My divorce was finalized last week, by the way, so I'm officially...what? Back on the market?"

She kind of raised her eyebrows then said, "That sounds pretty awful, huh? Like I'm a side of beef or something."

Layton laughed and told her he understood.

"And you're anything but that," he assured her with another quick glance at her. "In fact, you're even more beautiful than I remembered."

She was wearing a very pretty sleeveless dress that was midnight blue and very flattering to her figure which Layton correctly assumed was a size 6. It wasn't all that low in front, but it did reveal a slight hint of her ample cleavage as well as her very sexy legs that were attached to a pair of four-inch, black heels making her the same height as him.

"Oh, I seem to have forgotten my manners. Would you like a glass of champagne?"

"And I seem to recall this very thing happening at the Christmas party," Kodi told him with a very warm smile.

"Yes, it did, only I was walking toward you as I recall."

"You recall quite well."

Layton picked up a glass, handed it to her, then picked his up. He could tell she waiting to see if he wanted to make a toast, so he said, "To a happy marriage."

Kodi laughed before saying, "I could use one of those."

Layton was referring to his sister's marriage, but her dry sense of humor made him laugh.

"Who knows? Maybe the second time around will be a charm."

"I hope it's not the old saw about 'third time's a charm'," she replied. "Because if it is, I'd like to skip Round Two."

They touched glasses and after taking a sip Layton asked, "Do you mind me asking if your ex is here?"

"No, not at all. We're finally on speaking terms, and we agreed he'd go to the wedding, and I'd attend the reception."

"I take it that's progress?"

"Yes. Definitely. We were at the point where any communication had to be between our lawyers. I was so angry and so bitter, and it was tearing me up. At some point, I realized it wasn't worth it. I forgave him and accepted my fate."

Kodi paused then said, "It was particularly difficult because I wanted a baby so bad it hurt. Looking back, I may have even pushed him away by pushing for a child so hard. But I was 38 and getting desperate, and he had no interest in..."

"Wait. You...were...38?" Layton asked to make sure he'd heard correctly.

"Yes. At the time. Why?"

"Because I find that hard to believe. Very hard, in fact."

She laughed happily then told him he said something similar at the Christmas party.

"You remember a lot about that evening, don't you?" he asked.

"I guess I do," she said, getting more serious. "I...I kind of have a confession to make."

"Oh? Do tell," Layton said, interested to hear what this might be.

"You're not the only one who thought about the other person," she began. "I guess I thought about you a time or two myself. And I don't know why but that brief moment under the mistletoe really stuck with me. It was just a kiss, and a very quick one, at that. But I, well, I'm not even sure what I'm saying right now. I only know that evening...no, you...made a real impression on me."

Layton saw his chance and was getting ready to ask her out again when his sister came zooming up to them, apologized for interrupting, then said, "May I borrow my brother for a quick minute?"

"Oh. Sure," Kodi said. "We were finished talking anyway, right, Layton?"

Cassie whisked him off before he could answer, and she was left standing there all alone feeling a little silly for having been so honest when there was no chance her honesty would lead to anything but feelings of...silliness.

And yet the truth was she'd been unable to stop thinking about the handsome, younger man who'd been so friendly to her that night, and yes, she'd thought about that a hundred times. She'd also chastised herself for doing the same thing her husband had done even though the only similarity was age. And while she wasn't cheating on her husband, she still felt very guilty about having enjoyed it so much.

The age difference. She'd thought about that, too, many times. She'd just turned 40 two weeks ago, and Layton was...younger. So each time the kiss came up, she asked herself why she kept holding onto a memory that could never be more than a pleasant moment in the past. But after three months of asking herself that question, she realized that perhaps the difference in age wasn't such a big deal. And the more she thought about it, the less concerned she was about it. The final 'but' came in the form of 'he's in Southern California and you're in northern Washington'.

And then a friend of hers told her Layton Russell was back in town, and her heart had skipped a beat. Her heart went out when she learned the reason for his return, but she knew she'd never stop thinking about him unless she could see him again and find out whether or not he'd only been polite that December night.

So as she stood there holding a glass of champagne she'd barely touched, she watched as Layton danced with his sister in her beautiful bridal gown. She felt even more foolish when she briefly imagined he was dancing with her for the first time as his wife.

"Get a grip, Kodi," she told herself before nearly draining the glass and setting it down.

Since she rarely drank, the bubbly liquid worked quickly on her brain. By the time the dance was over, she could feel the first effects of the alcohol, and it emboldened her to walk up to Layton and ask if he'd like to dance.

"With me," she said, as though he wouldn't understand.

"Seriously?" he asked, having one thing in mind.

Kodi had quite another and said, "Oh, sorry. That really was pretty...stupid of me, huh?"

"Wait. Stupid?"

"Yes. Assuming you'd want to dance with a woman my age. I...I think it might be the champagne. I rarely drink, and I..."

Layton smiled, took her hand as she was talking, then told her, "I had every intention of asking you to go out with me when my sister pulled me away. So I can't think of anything I'd rather do that dance you with you, Kodi."

She'd gone from hopeful and apprehensive to embarrassed to thrilled in a matter of 30 seconds.

"Seriously?" she asked, using his line.

"Yes. Seriously," he replied with a smile as the next song started playing.

As he held her, Layton asked, "Why would you think I wouldn't want to dance with you?"

"I can think of quite a few reasons," she told him.

"And yet I can't think of one," he said before pulling her in close for the rest of their first dance.

They weren't really dancing but rather turning in a circle while they hugged, although neither of them were consciously aware of that. As they 'danced' Layton asked Kodi a question.

"Do you really blame yourself for your ex-husband's infidelity?"

Neither of them looked at the other person as the spoke. They were cheek to cheek and able to talk quietly even with the music playing.

"Yes and no," she told him. "I know his actions aren't my responsibility. But I also know I was relentless about having a child. I was never mean or angry, but it would be fair to say I came pretty close to begging. A lot."

"And you feel guilty about that?" Layton asked just as quietly as she'd answered him.

"I can't help but think if I'd let that go, we might still be together."

"But you wouldn't have a child," Layton offered as gently as he could.

"No, but...I don't have a child now, and I'm divorced," she said, her voice almost hollow.

"Do you still love him?"

"No. After what he did to me and the way he did it and all the lying and the denial...no."

Layton pulled away just before the song ended and looked into Kodi's eyes.

"You deserve to have what you want, Kodi. I don't think wanting a child is anything unusual unless the man and woman both agreed before getting married they never wanted kids."

"That wasn't the case with us. He promised me we'd have children, and he told many times how much he wanted them. So I held off asking for five years. That seemed more than reasonable to me, and when I brought it up, it was more of a suggestion than anything else. But for the next three years, it became more and more important to me, and time was slipping away."

As the song ended Layton apologized for bringing up something so personal and painful.

"No. I'm glad you asked, Layton. And I knew I could talk to you about that without any fear of being judged."

"Judged? Kodi, I not only wouldn't do that, I actually agree with you. I mean, I'm still shocked to hear you're 38, but I know women have that sense of urgency, and I'm guessing it get stronger as each year passes."

Kodi thanked him for the dance, and as they lowered their arms, Layton offered one to her.

She smiled and took it as he escorted off the floor, knowing she shouldn't let him assume she was still 38.

"Can I get you another drink?" he asked.

"No. One was more than enough," she told him, now slightly buzzed due to having 'slammed' it in one big gulp.

"But I did want to say one more thing," she told him.

He turned toward her and smiled then asked if he'd like to go outside where it was quieter.

It was April and April was cold and raw in Bellingham, so Kodi asked if they could get her coat first. Layton took her claim check and brought it to her and helped her put it on.

"Thank you," she said very sweetly.

It was a lot colder than he remembered, and even Layton was chilled.

"Would you maybe want to sit in my car? I could turn the heat..."

"Yes," she said immediately as her body shook.

Layton let her in then went around and got in himself and started the car and turned the heater up.

"Sorry. I'm a huge wimp when it comes to the cold," she told him as she sat there shivering while the engine warmed up.

She smiled as she said it, and Layton was unaware he was staring at her.

"What? Why are you looking at me like that?" she asked in a pleasant tone of voice.

Layton shook his head quickly then apologized.

"Sorry. I think I was just caught up in...how beautiful you are."

Kodi looked down immediately then laughed a nervous laugh.

"Then maybe I shouldn't tell you what I wanted to say."

"No, I think you should," Layton said in a calm, quiet voice.

She looked up then directly at him, and said, "I'm not 38, Layton."

He smiled and told her, "Well, I was going to ask you to go out with me, but that was back when I thought you were...38. But now that I know you're 39, well, forget about it."

He was being playful, but Kodi was very sensitive about her age. Turning 30 had been a big deal to her, but now she was...40, and she'd dreaded the 'big four-oh' for the last three years.

"I'm...I'm not 39, either," she forced herself to say.

He didn't know her very well, but he could tell this was an issue with her so he stopped smiling and listened.

"I...I turned 40 in March, Layton," she told him after she looked away again.

"And?" he asked quietly.

She took a deep breath and let it out slowly before saying, "Please don't laugh, okay?"

"I won't," he told her sincerely.

"I mentioned thinking about you at the Christmas party."

She glanced his way then added, "And...the kiss."

"Uh-huh."

"And...I guess...when I found out you were back, I...I let myself think maybe..."

She glanced at him again, smiled nervously, then said, "I think I let myself imagine you might have actually been interested in me."

She finally turned his way then continued.

"I knew that wasn't the case, and now that I said it out loud, I understand how ridiculous it is, but I...I did let myself think that might be possible."

When Layton didn't respond, Kodi said, "I shouldn't have told you that. It's bad enough the crazy, older woman is even thinking such thoughts, but then she comes out and says them. You must be thinking, 'My God, if I can't get away from this lunatic, I'll..."

"Are you finished?" Layton asked, cutting her off before she could finish.

"Yes, and now that the car is finally getting warm, I think I should go back inside."

She went to reach for the door handle when Layton reached out for her. He gently touched her arm and quietly said, "Please don't."

Kodi stopped but didn't move.

"It's okay, Layton. You don't have to let me down gently. I've once again managed to embarrass myself, so we can just..."

"Kodi? Would you please look at me?"

She started to turn his way then stopped, so he gently pulled on her arm until she turned and looked at him.

"Would it be okay if I told you what I'm actually thinking rather than what you've assumed I'm thinking?"

"Sorry. No, of course that's okay," she replied, finally able to really look at him again.

"I told you I've thought about you many times, and about our one kiss. But what I haven't told you is how I had to fight to push you out of my mind when I went back to California. I had to remind myself you weren't going to be interested in someone my age even if I had stayed here. And why would you? You're...gorgeous. And sexy, and smart."

He saw her break eye contact then almost smile before he continued.

"Look, I don't care that you're...that age," he said, smiling to let her know he knew it mattered to her. "So if you don't care that I'm...younger...I can tell you that since I first saw you again tonight, all I've wanted to do is kiss you again."

Now Kodi shook her head in that 'did I just hear you right' kind of way.

"You...want to kiss me?" she asked very quietly.

"I do. Very much," he told her as his hand moved from her forearm to her bare hand.

"I...I don't understand," she told him as heart began to race.

He laughed quietly then said, "Women are supposed to be excellent listeners, but it appears you didn't hear anything I just said."

She looked away briefly then said, "No. I...heard you say I'm...pretty...but I..."

Layton gently tugged at her hand until she looked at him again.

"No, I said you were gorgeous, Kodi. But that's only part of the reason I want to kiss you."

Kodi hadn't kissed anyone but her husband since their first date nearly 12 years ago, and she'd never wanted to kiss anyone else until after Layton Russell had kissed her. And now, more than anything she could ever recall, she wanted him to kiss her again.

"I have no idea why a man as attractive as you would be interested in a woman my age, but if..."

Layton leaned over, smiled, and said, "If you'll stop talking, I'll be able to kiss you."

Kodi stopped, smiled back, and slowly closed her eyes as this handsome younger man she'd fantasized about kissing her so many times actually did so. Unlike their first kiss when she was too surprised and unsure of herself to kiss back, she made sure that didn't happen again as she pressed her lips against his.

The kiss lasted for a good five seconds or so, and it ended with their lips very slowly and reluctantly separating.

"Kodi?" he said very softly.

She raised her eyebrows as her eyes darted back and forth with his.

"Just so you know, I'm not interested in women your age."

Immediately confused, Kodi tried to ask what he meant when he smiled and finished his thought.

"No, I'm not. I'm not interested in any woman of any age unless she's...you. And I am very interested in you."

She watched his eyes carefully, and when he finished speaking, she believed him. She was still leery of being deceived after the infidelity, but something told her she could trust this amazing, younger man who'd just kissed her again.

"I can't imagine why, but I do believe you," she whispered just before he kissed her again.

This kiss was longer and more passionate. The tips of their tongues briefly touched several times, and Layton laid the palm of his hand against her cheek as they kissed.

When it ended, Kodi's head was spinning, and she felt like her world was out of control, but in a very good way; a way she couldn't define, but a way she didn't want to end.

"So now what?" she asked very sweetly, their faces just inches apart.

"I believe we should get back inside so people don't start talking," he told her with a smile.

Kodi had been smiling but stopped.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"You know people will talk, right? I mean, I'm...40 years old, Layton. And, well, there's the thing about you becoming my ex's boss, and..."

"I don't care," he told her. "So unless you do, let them...eat cake."

Kodi laughed and felt the tension drain from her body.

"You need work on your idioms," she told him.

She furrowed her brow then asked, "Is that even an idiom?"

"I don't know, but I do know I want to kiss you again before we go back inside. And...people start to talk."

"Oh, okay," she said. "I could probably stand that."

Both of them laughed as their lips met one more time in the now-very warm car made warmer by the rising tide of emotion building between them.

Once they were back inside, Layton checked Kodi's coat again then asked her, "Are you sure you're ready for them to talk?"

He was holding out his hand when he said it.

"The only people I care about are your family. Will they...talk?" she asked, a kind of wince on her pretty face.

"No. Absolutely not. In fact, my mom saw us kiss at the Christmas party, and..."

"Oh, right! I saw here and I nearly died thinking she was disgusted!" she told him.

"Relax. My mom thinks you're great, and Cassie will love you. Trust me on that."

"What about your father?"

"He's just glad I'm home, and if he knows you make me happy, he'll be happy, too," Layton assured her.

"Then...yes," she said as she took his hand. "Let them...eat cake!"

"Uh-oh. I'm already corrupting you," Layton said with a laugh as they walked back in hand in hand.

"I'm okay with being corrupted," she said with a smile.

"Oh, really," Layton replied as though he was shocked.

"Uh-huh. As long as you're doing the corrupting," she told him, causing them both to laugh.

They hadn't gone ten steps when Kathryn spotted them.

"I hope you're right," Kodi said as his mother made a beeline for them, a smile on her face.

"Does this mean what I think it does?" she asked excitedly as soon as they could hear her.

"If you think it means I really like this beautiful woman, then yes, you're right," her son told her.

She ignored him and held out of her arms to hug Kodi.

"I'm so happy for both of you!" Kathryn told her.

"Oh, my goodness. Thank you, Kathryn!" Kodi told her, so surprised she wasn't sure what else to say.

"Am I allowed to tell anyone else?" Kathryn asked Layton while looking at Kodi.

He looked at his new girlfriend who only smiled.

"I believe that would be just fine, Mom."