Unplanned Reconciliation

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Did you know that Shannon knew about them?"

"What?"

"Shannon came and confessed to me right after the funeral. Now she feels guilty about not telling me sooner. By staying silent, Shannon hoped to avoid a divorce and a split family. She was hoping that no one would find out until all the kids were out of the two houses. Now, Shannon is afraid Alicia will hate her for not doing something to stop them."

"Actually, I have been wondering if Alicia knew because of her dull reaction. She did not seem that upset by finding out what her mother and Austin were doing. In any case, she seems to think that their adultery was no big deal and that I should just put her Mom in Timeout and forgive and forget. I guess she doesn't believe I'm hurt because I'm not bleeding."

"Bob, how do you think you'll come out in the divorce or is there any chance you might reconcile?"

"Well, I think my little practical joke will make Vera fight the divorce harder. No matter what she did with Austin, or I did in exposing her, the settlement should be close to 50/50 because of state laws. The worst thing about a divorce in my mind is that she might demand counseling and my attorney says she would probably get it. That would mean 12 times I would have to hear her excuses of why she cheated or how inadequate a husband and lover I was. What about you, Tracy? Are you and your kids going to be okay after the state is settled, money-wise I mean?"

"Income-wise we should be okay. I'm sure we'll be pinching pennies more than before. It's other things that worry me. Logistically, I'll have a yard sale to get rid of his personal stuff although I'll set the prices lower now. Emotionally, I thought the biggest problem for me would be when the kids moved out in a few years. Ironically, I was counting on Vera, my supposed best friend, helping make it through the next couple of years. So much for that. Bob, I hope I can still count on you. Just no more surprises. Okay?

"As far as the future, I don't think I want to live in this big house by myself after the kids are gone. It's hard even now since so many things in the house triggers memories of Austin. I should have many good memories of our time together but now poof, they're gone. Finding out about their affair... " Tracy took some time to recover. "You know, in some ways it hurts worse that it was Vera and not some young, bimbo secretary or intern. Although Vera is still an attractive woman with a nice body, she was like my sister. I trusted her with my secrets. I hate to think what things she told Austin that I had said to her in confidence about him. That back-stabbing bitch! I should have pulled a lot more hair out of her head."

"Tracy, you are a very attractive woman in your own right. I can't believe that Austin wasn't satisfied. Do you have any idea why they did it? My guess is that the four of us maybe spent too much time together and were just too close friends, you know, mi casa -- su casa but Vera and Austin went a step further, mi esposa -- su esposa."

"Sorry, Bob. I'm not ready yet to cut them any slack. The bottom line is that my best friend cheated on me with my husband. That's a double deep betrayal in my book. Their actions have stolen over 20 years of memories of what I had thought had been a good marriage. When I see Austin's face in my mind now, I imagine he had been thinking, 'Boy I'm getting away with cheating on her and she's too stupid to see it.' I used to consider Austin a model father that our children could look up to. Now, I know their father was modeling how to hide being an adulterer. And their Uncle Bob isn't much better because he has modeled a man that he couldn't keep his wife satisfied."

"Hey, I may not be Don Juan, but I usually could make Vera orgasm when we had sex although I now wonder how many of those were faked. I don't think either of us needs to assume we were lacking in any way with our spouses. They wanted something extra and were easily available to each other. As far as not knowing sooner, they both were able to hide it from us for a long time. I would have done something the minute I knew about it. As it so happened, it was Austin's death that caused me to find the videos they had made of their times together. I was looking through some old picture books of our families in preparation for Austin's eulogy when I found Vera's hidden stash of videos."

"I know, Bob. You'll have to forgive me. I'm just ranting to be ranting. Anyway, I'm not sure but when the kids leave, I probably will sell the house and buy something smaller. The big question is whether or not to leave town. It's hard to face people now. I've already heard the 'Poor Tracy' comments enough that I want to throw up. I know they're really saying, 'Poor DUMB Tracy' who didn't even know her husband and her best friend were making a fool of her."

"Hey, don't be so hard on yourself. We should be thinking how we can make life easier for Alicia, Shannon and Harvey. I think Randy is okay with me divorcing his mother. I doubt if he feels any less about you and your kids."

"I would hope that there would be some way we could re-establish the friendship between our children. Randy and Harvey weren't especially close due to the age difference, but Alicia and Shannon were practically twins. They both must be hurting terribly."

"Maybe we should concentrate on helping the girls than hurting Vera."

"You're probably right." Tracy smiled wickedly. "However, if the chance to drill another asshole in Vera arises... "

"Noted and agreed upon."

*****

COUNSELING

Bob hated the counseling sessions. Vera tried to escape blame by saying how close the two families were and the distinction between being friends and being spouses got blurred. The first act of sex between Vera and Austin was described by Vera as a perfect storm of the absence of spouses and the presence of alcohol. Although she said she never stopped loving Bob, Vera found that she had in Austin a co-husband whom she also loved. Bob was always first in her heart just not always first in her bed. According to her, Austin was the only man Bob would ever have to worry about. Now that Austin was gone, she and Bob could return to their marriage as long as he would forgive her.

Bob's take was simpler. He and Vera took the same marriage vows. She broke them. He didn't. Broken marriage vows means the marriage was over. They should divorce and move on. He knew he couldn't forget what Vera had done and doubted he would ever forgive. He said that his forgiveness was reserved for something where the harm was unintentional. In his estimation, Vera was far too smart to believe that Bob wouldn't be hurt when he found out. Surely, she knew the likelihood of him finding out increased with every liaison that she had with Austin. Obviously, she was willing to take the risk because she wanted sex with Austin more that she cared for Bob or their marriage.

The counselor eventually declared an impasse. Vera tried to get Bob to agree to something else like a separation but still living in the same house. She used access to Alicia to keep him at home. Alicia begged her father to forgive her mother even suggesting he get a girlfriend for a while to make things even. When Bob heard that, he yelled at Vera, "See what you've done. You've got our daughter thinking that cheaters don't need to be punished. They only need to let the victim become a cheater too."

The divorce was in its final stages although Vera kept apologizing and promising to be the wife she should be. She begged for any punishment other than divorce. Her attorney suggested she offer a post-nuptial that would mean she left with nothing if she had another affair. Bob would not budge.

Their state was one of those states where the couple had to live apart for a year for the divorce could be completed. As things stood, Vera was scheduled to keep the house and all the equity in exchange for no alimony. She would get child support for Alicia and help in paying for her car insurance and college expenses until Alicia was 25, graduated or married, whichever came first.

Bob and Tracy tricked Alicia and Shannon into meeting for dinner one night. Their fear of there being an irreparable break between the two vanished almost immediately. As soon as they saw each other, they started crying and ran and hugged each other. Apologies and promises to never be broken up again flowed. Bob and Tracy felt greatly relieved.

*****

AN UNEXPECTED TURN OF EVENTS

"Hello."

"Bob... this is... Tracy. Something terrible... has... happened." Her crying took over from her ability to speak.

"Calm down, Tracy and tell me what's the matter. Has something happened to your kids?"

"Can't... talk... on phone. Come... over... please."

"I'll be right there."

As soon as Bob arrived, he saw Tracy in the living room on the couch with her kids. Shannon and Harvey were trying in vain to calm her down while crying themselves.

"Can someone please tell me what is wrong?"

Shannon spoke. "We went to Dad's lawyer's office today. We thought it had something to do with the will. When we went into the attorney's office, he had a sad face. He said, 'There's not much reason to even read the will. I just got an updated financial statement of your husband's assets. I assume you haven't been aware of his asset-debt situation.' Mom shook her head. She had no idea what he meant.

Mom asked, "Are you saying there's not much money for us?"

"Broke would be a blessing to what you really have, Mrs. Dublin. As far as I can tell, Austin had a gambling problem. Your home mortgage and cars have re-financed to the point there is almost negative equity in your home and cars. In addition, he has several personal loans that are in arrears. The worst thing is that he has depleted his pension plan, stopped paying his life insurance, and had not paid the family health insurance premiums for two months prior to his death. That means his hospital stay was not covered by insurance."

"I don't understand. He always said things were going fine."

"Tracy, Austin was lying to you about more than... well, you know."

"How could he afford to take Vera to expensive restaurants and go to nice hotels if he was that broke?"

"From what I could tell, Vera paid for almost all of that. I think her willingness to pay might have been as much incentive for their affair to continue as was the sex. The reason I'm saying this is that I was sent a copy of his emails by his office secretary. I think his affair with Vera came at the expense of ending an affair with his secretary. I believe she sent this information to get back at him."

"Do I get any money at all?"

"I'm afraid that mostly you will inherit is lots of debt. To be blunt, you're not only up the proverbial creek without a paddle, but the boat is leaking too. I would say you're looking at bankruptcy at a minimum. Do you have any family who might be able to help you?"

"No, I have no family able to help. I may have some friends who might help. What do you recommend I do?"

"First of all, you need to make COBRA payment so that you and your family have health insurance. That won't take care of Austin's hospital bill, but it will protect you and your kids. Then you need to see a bankruptcy lawyer. You will need enough funds to pay the bankruptcy lawyer, which is about $1000 in advance. I'm not the best person to advise you. You probably need to see a financial advisor as soon as possible." Mom said she knew where to go.

After Shannon telling Bob the particulars, Tracy asked, "Bob, you're a financial advisor. What can I do?"

The enormity of what Tracy told Bob caught him by surprise. He relied on his standard response he gave to new clients. "We need to sit down with your financials and develop a plan. Tracy, I will do everything I can to help out, but it's not going to be easy on you and your family. I promise, things will work out."

Tracy wrapped her arms around Bob and started sobbing. "It's not fair. Why should the kids and I have to suffer for Austin's sins?" It took many minutes for her to get her emotions under control. "I have what the lawyer prepared. I think it is a complete review of our finances. I'll go get them."

Bob's mind started going through option after option to rescue Tracy and her family. Over the coming days, their sessions always included sympathy, tears and physical comforting. It was Tracy that decided to take the plunge.

"Bob, I know that we both flirted a lot in the past. Maybe not as much as Austin and Vera, obviously. To tell the truth, I kind of hoped that you guys would suggest some wife swapping. Austin was pretty clear he had the hots for Vera and I, well, I had the hots for you. You treated Vera like a queen, and you were a great father for your kids. I think I may have unintentionally planted the idea of cheating in Austin's mind when I kept comparing him to you, as in 'Why can't you like Bob?'

"Bob, maybe Alicia had the right idea. Why don't you have an affair with another woman as revenge on Vera? I recommend it on one condition: I have to be that woman."

The evening went on to include kissing and then petting and, finally, slow and meaningful sex. The climaxes for both were explosive. Both felt justified and not the least bit of guilt.

It was difficult to get back to talking about her financial situation. In between bouts of making love, Bob presented an option to Tracy and there was considerable heated discussion over the implications of the provisions. She finally agreed to give it a try.

The main option Bob thought of required something he dreaded doing -- talking to Vera.

*****

MEETING WITH VERA

"Vera, can I come over and talk?"

"Is it about the settlement, Bob? I thought that had all been agreed upon and we were just waiting for the year to pass. Of course, if you have changed your mind about the divorce all together... "

"Something new has come up. I'd like to talk to you and Alicia at the same time. It would involve her cooperation too."

"I'll ask her. When do you want to come?"

"As soon as possible."

"Oh dear, I need time to straighten up and get something decent on."

"Vera, I'm not coming to make an inspection. Please, just let me come over an explain."

"Of course, come whenever you want. This is still your house even though you don't live here."

"Thanks."

Vera, Alicia and Bob sat at the kitchen table they had had many a family discussion at over the years. Vera had made a pot of coffee and all three had a cup. Bob started the conversation.

"Vera, Alicia, I am going to ask a huge favor of you both. The first part would require us to delay the divorce and me moving back here." Vera's eyes were filled with tears of joy.

"Dad, you've decided to forgive Mom! I am so happy!"

"Not exactly. I'm willing to reconsider the divorce if you two are willing to consider the proposal I'm about to make."

"What is it? I'd do almost anything to go back to where we were before..."

"As attractive an idea it might be to you, it's just not possible, Vera. I know that this may sound bizarre, but what I'm asking is that we open our house to Tracy and Shannon."

Vera queried, "What? I don't understand." Alicia nodded in agreement.

"Austin left Tracy with huge debts and almost no assets. She will have to declare bankruptcy. Although she would not have to sell her house according to the bankruptcy law, I am not recommending she keep it in order to get back financial stability. Her job will not provide her enough income initially to deal with the mess Austin left her. She cannot even get a credit card for years. What I am asking that we merge the two families into this house and share expenses and income at least for a couple or three years."

Alicia spoke, "Shannon told me a little about their financial situation. Can't you help them stay in their home, Dad?"

"I could but it would take too many more years and a lot more sacrifice on all our parts to make that work. The idea of them moving in with us gives them the best chance to get on their feet as soon as possible"

"Shannon can move into my room with me. I would love that. We both could get part-time jobs to help out."

Vera offered, "Of course, I want to help Tracy and her family. I have felt so guilty for betraying our friendship. I'm just not sure how the two families could live as one. For instance, "Where would we put everyone? Would Harvey sleep with his mother in the bedroom where your home office is now?"

"Actually, Harvey will be moving in with the Johnsons. Harvey and their son Leonard are best friends. The Johnsons have already invited Harvey to stay with them. They said that they have been grateful that Harvey has been helping Leonard in school because of Leonard's learning disability. They're going to replace Leonard's queen-size bed with two twin beds. Harvey will come over here for some meals and family time."

"So, Tracy will sleep in the third bedroom you've been using as your office?"

"Actually, Tracy will be sleeping in our master bedroom."

"You're putting us in the smaller bedroom? I think that's going overboard on the hospitality."

"No. Vera, you're going into the third bedroom."

"But that would mean that you and Tracy... Oh shit!"

"Yes, Tracy and I have grown close this last month. Tracy suggested this as a way to get revenge of your betrayal of her and me. I agreed with her. We have decided that we want to have as much time together as you and Austin had."

"But neither of you were in the same house when Austin and I were together. What about after the two years? That's how long Austin and I were seeing each other."

"We'll see in two years. Tracy and I are not talking about marriage. At this point, we're only interested in the sexual aspects of the relationship. You should understand. Didn't you tell me it was just sex between you and Austin?"

"So Bob, is that going to be the extent of your revenge? Will Tracy forgive me and become friends with me again? What about my sexual needs? Will you spend some time with me too, or do I have to find sex elsewhere? At least you and Tracy were still getting sex from us while Austin and I were having our affair. Is there really any legitimate chance this experiment could end with you and me still married, and Tracy becomes my best friend again?"

"Those outcomes have a better chance with what we are proposing than if we continue the way we are now where there is no chance of either of those things happening."

"What if I don't go along with this proposition?"

"Our divorce will be finalized, and we never have sex again. I get a bigger apartment and Tracy and Shannon move in with me. With the amount of my money I'll have to use to support Tracy and Shannon, Alicia and Shannon probably will have to go to Community College. We won't be able to support the tuition and housing at any other school. By the way, Shannon has already nixed any deal where she is not living in the same house as her mother. That also means that it will take several more years for Tracy to regain control of her financial life."

"Mom, please say 'yes. You kind of owe it to Aunt Tracy and Dad."

"I don't know. It's hard for me to see how could I live in this house knowing that your father and my former best friend were in the bedroom..."

"Vera, how do you think I felt when I found out that my wife and my best friend were cheating on me. No, I wasn't in the same house as you two, but no option will feel good to you, even the option we are in right now. It will still be hard for all of us and, granted, even harder for you, but we're in this mess partially due to your misbehavior. If you can tolerate it for a couple of years, we can review the relationships then."

"I need some time to think about it. Do I have to decide now?"