Unresolved Ch. 04

Story Info
Powerful interests attempt to stop the Iron Crowbar.
13.1k words
4.83
7k
5

Part 4 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 12/05/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

Part 18 - The King's Gambit (continued)

2:40am, Sunday, April 21st. I came out of the elevator onto the top floor of the Hyatt Hotel, where the suites were. I was met by Patrolman Culver, to whom I gave my badge number. Patrolman Johnson came up and said "I'll take you to Captain Perlman, sir."

He led me through a hallway full of Police Officers and Crime Lab techs going back and forth and into a suite. I saw Congressman Gerald A. Condor sitting on a sofa that was in front of the large window that looked out to the south over the twinkling lights of the Town. The Congressman looked dazed, seemingly in shock. Next to him was Detective Teddy Parker. Also sitting next to the Congressman was blonde attorney Gwen Munson of Prodder, Ryder & Reems P.C. Her eyes were boring into me and never left me as I looked around.

From the back bedroom to the left came Tanya Perlman, talking to J.R. Barnes, Director of all the State Crime Labs, and Dr. Christina Cho, the State Crime Labs's Chief Chemist. Officers were taking a large box of evidence under two-man control out, as well.

"Hello, everyone." I said as I came up to them. "What's going on?"

"It's Chandra, Congressman Condor's intern, sir." said Tanya. "Guys, why don't you get that rape kit to the Crime Lab and start on it immediately for DNA. Commander, come on inside."

We went into the room of death. A young girl, white, voluptuous, with dark hair and large melon-like breasts, lay naked on the bed. She was being examined by Martha the Medical Examiner.

"Marks on her neck suggest strangulation, possibly during sex." said Martha. "And yes, there was semen in her vagina, a lot of it."

"As if the man had just come," asked Tanya, "and not enough time for much to seep out?"

"That's about right." said Martha.

"Rape?" I asked.

"I'll have to do a full autopsy to see if she was physically beaten or has vaginal damage consistent with rape." said Martha. "But so far I'm not seeing anything that rises to that level. It may have been consentual, and the man got carried away as he climaxed and choked her."

"I dunno." I said as I looked more closely at the purplish marks on Chandra's neck. "This looks pretty intentional."

"There's also some marks on her wrists, but they don't appear to be fresh." said Martha. "You might ask the Congressman out there if he's been playing bondage games with his intern in Washington." That caused me and Tanya to glance at each other. My Captain of Detectives's eyes were twinkling.

"Any place we can talk privately, Captain?" I asked.

"The bedroom next to this one, sir." said Tanya. There were two bedrooms to the left and two to the right, and the one Chandra was in was the left rear bedroom. Tanya led me to the front left bedroom, whose sheets had been stripped and evidence taken already.

"There was sex going on in all four bedrooms." said Tanya as I pulled a chair up next to her wheelchair and sat down. "Condor out there said he was hosting, and had not had sex with anyone. He even gave us a cheek swab voluntarily, and we got that on video."

"Good." I said. "So, let's go to the beginning: who called it in?"

"Anonymous tip." said Tanya. "About 1:30am, 9-1-1 got a call that there was a disturbance at the Hyatt, on the top floor. Hardy and Drew responded. When they got up there, Condor was panicked and trying to revive Chandra. He was fully clothed. He'd been doing CPR for ten minutes or more, several people said, but to no avail. She was already blue, and clearly dead."

"Hardy called for backup, and Johnson and several others arrived quickly." continued Tanya. "No one was allowed to leave, but the stairs and lower floors were unguarded until backup arrived. I've already had the tapes secured, and I called Myron at home and asked him to start getting video footage of the area."

"Who did you bag?" I asked.

"Like I said, all four bedrooms had been in use." said Tanya. "We bagged two Democrats banging young women. One was State Rep. Justin Madoff from the City, and another was State Rep. Frank Allen, who defeated Republican Jeff Canton in the last Election. Two of the women are aides, like Chandra was Condor's intern. In the fourth room was U.S. Senator Roy Lester, who was copulating with a professional woman... one of T-Square's professional women, if you get my drift."

"So Lester was banging a paid-for prostitute." I mused. "And he's a Republican... what the hell is he doing here at a Democrat fundraiser and strategy session?"

"Apparently a select number of Establishment Republicans were here today." said Tanya. "Ralph Corkle, with the State Right to Life Committee, was here, and was caught trying to leave the hotel. I had him arrested, and enjoyed doing it. Also, we've gotten warrants to search every room rented by the Congressman, but there's no telling who is in all the other rooms the warrants won't apply to. And... well, maybe I'll just let Congressman Condor tell you who was in the room with Chandra." Her eyes were twinkling brightly as she said that.

"Okay, then." I said. "I'll go make myself a thorn in his side. By the way, has the Press shown up?"

"Yes sir." said a voice. It was Lt. Irwin, who as 1st Precinct Lieutenant was now in charge of securing the hotel. "KXTC just showed up. We're not letting them inside."

"Good." I said. As Irwin left, I said "Tanya, call KFXU and make sure they also know about this. Anonymous tip, dontcha know..."

"Yes sir." said a grinning Captain Perlman...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I came up to where Detective Teddy Parker and U.S. Congressman Gerald A. Condor (D - 1st District, our State) were sitting. I motioned for Teddy to come to the middle of the room with me. "What has he said?" I asked quietly.

"He's given me most of the names that were at the dinner earlier, and then the party up here tonight." said Teddy. "but he wouldn't give me specific names of people having sex in the bedrooms. He said he'd wait until you got here. No wonder you get all the results, sir; they won't talk to us Detectives." I knew he meant that humorously.

"Don't take offense." I said. "So, let's see what he's holding out about." We went back to the sofa.

"Well, Congressman," I said as I sat down on the coffee table in front of the sofa, hoping it would hold up my weight, "I did not expect to see you again so soon."

"Nor I you, Commander." said Condor. "You gotta believe me, I had nothing to do with this..."

"I'd love to believe you, but that means I gotta prove who did do it." I said. "Is this your lawyer?" I asked, nodding my head toward Gwen Munson.

"I'm an attorney for the State Democrats." said Munson, her sweet, feminine voice belying her underlying viciousness. "But I'm here to help the Congressman if he needs it. And with you around, he'll be needing it."

"If he's innocent, then I'm the best friend he'll ever have." I replied. "Teddy, did you read the Congressman his rights?"

"No sir," said Parker, "and he's been cooperative to this point."

"Then, Congressman," I said, "to protect you and me, I'll read you your rights." I did so from the card. Condor said he understood the rights, and Munson said "Consider me to be representing his interests at this time." I nodded.

"Congressman, did you have sex with Chandra?" I asked.

"No... not tonight." said Condor.

"You've had sex with Chandra before?" I asked.

"I will neither confirm nor deny that." said Condor.

"You have got to be kidding me, Congressman." I said. "A girl is lying dead in your suite, she's your intern, and you're avoiding my questions?"

"It's not relevant." said Munson.

"Bull." I said. "And keep up with that crap, Ms. Munson, and I'll arrest Congressman Condor and very publicly perp-walk him through the Media that's arriving now."

"Look, Commander," said Condor, "I'll answer any questions about tonight, but for reasons of my political career, I'm confining my answers to tonight. Arrest me if you want, but that's how it's got to be for now."

"We'll see about that." I said, then to move things along I asked "Did you have sex with anyone tonight?"

"No, I've been talking with people constantly all night." said Condor.

"Did anyone else have sex with Chandra?" I asked. "Let me ask that another way... who went into that bedroom with Chandra?"

Condor paused, looked at Gwen Munson, who just nodded, then turned to me and said "Samuel Russell."

"U.S. Senator Samuel Russell?" I almost gasped.

"Yes." said Condor. "He went into the bedroom with Chandra an hour and a half ago... well, an hour and a half before he came back out."

"He came out alone?" I asked.

"Yes." Condor said.

"How did he look?" I asked.

"Groggy, and scared." said Condor. "Sloppily dressed. He just left without saying goodbye or anything else."

"What happened next?"

"Not five minutes later, another couple went into the room," said Condor, "and then the woman screamed. We rushed in, and Chandra was lying there... I tried to revive her, used CPR..." He stopped speaking and began sobbing.

"Who called 9-1-1?" I asked.

"I... I don't know." said Condor.

After concluding the interview, I went and found Tanya. "Captain, I need two things. First, the Westphalia Police and the State Databases should have the DNA results of Samuel Russell's rape of Jayne Hallerton." (Author's note: 'Fathers and Sons', Ch.03.) Have Christina Cho make a direct comparison of that evidence to Chandra's rape kit, and expedite it."

"Ahhhh, you may have Russell by the short hairs on this one." said Tanya. "Rape is one thing, murder is another."

"True." I said. "The other thing: call or text Jack Muscone, and tell him to consider 'Plan Guinevere'. He'll know what I'm talking about."

"Ah, the Queen's Gambit?" Tanya asked.

"You're too good for your own good, Captain." I replied. "But what I'm seeing here... is the King's Gambit."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

4:40am, Sunday, April 21st. We were in one of the hotel meeting rooms off the front lobby. In addition to Captain Perlman, Lt. Irwin and myself, Commander Ross, Captain Croyle and Lt. Myron Milton had shown up... and so had Sheriff Griswold, Chief Moynahan and District Attorney Walters, whose beady black eyes were more icy than ever before.

"Russell left right out the front door, and his Escalade limo picked him up at the curb." said Myron Milton. "It drove right down North Street, then University Avenue, then the Nextdoor County Highway towards the City."

"Anyone else leave the hotel?" I asked. "Via any exits at all?"

"Before the Police got here," said Myron, "there were trickles of people going in and out, most of them associated with the Democrat dinner and meetings. There were several parties going on, and many of the attendees were checked into the hotel. So some of the partygoers did leave, and mostly through the lobby exit or main parking lot exit, and we're working to get their IDs. Once the Police came, no one has left without their ID being checked, and there's only been a very few of them at this hour. I might add that with the Media camped outside, most will wait until daylight to leave, and will leave as a large group."

I nodded. "Okay, then. Lt. Irwin, you and your guys did a great job securing the hotel. Cpt. Perlman, you and the Detectives and the CSIs also did a great job. What we need now is the autopsy report, and a positive I.D. of the semen recovered from Chandra's rape kit, and we'll be a long way towards the solution of this case."

"That's it?" asked D.A. Walters.

"What would you have us do, Ms. Walters?" I asked.

"No warrants for Samuel Russell?" asked Miriam. "And you're not arresting Gerald Condor? They could flee to Washington!"

"They can, anyway." Cindy said. "Russell has been evading arrest on that Constitutional clause that allows him to travel to Washington for his Congressional duties. Condor can invoke the same thing."

"Once we get the autopsy results," I said, "we can make our next moves, and against the right perp or perps. Until then, let's finish up this crime scene and get out of this poor hotel's way...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As we were going to our cars, I called Myron Milton over. "I didn't want to say anything in front of anyone else, especially D.A. Walters." I said. "I want you to run facial rec on all the video you've recovered, legally or otherwise, and see if anyone matches these men." I held up my Police iPhone to show two photos.

"Oh my God." said Myron. "Trent Ridge? Quint Starr?"

"Trent Ridge especially." I said. "And if you do find him, do I even need to tell you to say nothing to anyone else until you've talked to me first?"

"No sir, you do not." Myron said...

Part 19 - The Gambit Accepted

At 7:30am I went and got Alison from The Cabin and took her to the Mountain Nest to have breakfast with us. Cindy, Callie, and Betsy came over, as well.

The breakfast table nook overlooks the greatroom. I was sitting at the end of the table nearest the back door. To my left, her back to the greatroom, was Carole. To her left was Jim, and to his left was Callie. Laura was at the other end, and to her left was Cindy, and Betsy was to the left of her in her high chair, being fed by her mom. Alison was to Betsy's left and my right.

When Jim had seen Alison, he said "Wow! You're almost as pretty as my girlfriend!"

"Who's your girlfriend?" asked Laura, perhaps skeptically.

"Callie." said Jim with alacrity.

"Awww." said Callie, hugging Jim. "Yes I am."

"It appears I have competition." Cindy said, half-humorously.

Alison seemed to have the approval of Carole, who had been chatting like a parakeet with her. More importantly, Alison received the Bowser seal of approval: he'd let her pet him and seemed happy about it. Buddy also got his fair share of skritchins.

We ate pancakes made by Carole and her mom, a cheesesteak scrambled eggs dish that was supposed to be a big omelette until I messed it up and it collapsed, and toast made by Jim in the toaster.

Betsy approved of the jelly, if the amount of it smeared on her little face was any indication. Bowser and Buddy supervised floor operations, meaning they kept the floor very clean by eating up any food that dropped to them. Betsy was giving them plenty of work, and Carole seemed to be stealthily dropping food items to the floor, as well.

"Hi Bowser." said Alison as she saw him looking up at her. He wagged his tail upon hearing his name.

"Bowser is a good dog." said Carole, in the form of a quotation. "He saved my friend Marie's life. He's her hero, like Daddy is my hero."

"Awww, that's sweet." Alison said, though looking a little wistful.

"Is your daddy your hero?" Carole asked Alison. Uh oh...

"My daddy is in the Army. He's a General." said Alison, somewhat deflecting the question.

"Oh. So he's our country's hero?" Carole asked.

"One of them." I said politely.

"What about your mommy?" asked Carole.

"My mom died." Alison said. "She got sick."

"Oh. I'm sorry." Carole said sympathetically.

"What did she pass away of?" asked Callie.

"Cancer." said Alison.

At that moment, I got a vibe and glanced over at Carole. My daughter had a very sad and pensive look on her young face as she studied her pancakes. Then I felt something else, and glanced over to see Cindy peering at Carole. Then Cindy's ice-blue eyes caught my gray ones. Cindy almost imperceptibly shook her head; she'd caught Carole's vibe, but couldn't tell what it was about...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After cleaning up after breakfast, I took the dogs out. Cindy came with me. We sat on the metal mesh loveseat as Bowser and Buddy inspected the territories and did their business.

"I read the early reports on the Chandra strangulation." Cindy said. "Accident?"

"No." I said. "Not at all. First degree murder, if I don't miss my guess."

"And you never do." Cindy said.

"Harrumph." I said. "Anyway, I'm waiting for the autopsy, which I think will show us some things, and for the DNA match. Tanya is going to have Christina Cho compare the early results with the sample taken after Russell raped Hallerton; I'm betting it's his semen."

"Anything we can do with that?" Cindy asked.

"I have hopes." I said. "While that won't be enough for D.A. Walters, it might be enough to bring Russell to Justice."

"I can't believe he came back here... here!... with you ready to bust his chops." Cindy said.

"I can." I said. "First, he thinks he's getting one over on me by coming here under my nose. Second, he really wants to be part of the action that gets Val Jared impeached and removed from office. And third... he was set up."

"What?!" gasped Cindy.

"He is being sacrificed." I said. "Like in a chess gambit, material is being sacrificed to get a better gain later. Russell is the sacrifice, and it's meant to be a distraction from the far more dangerous situation to the Swamp Frogs... to one of them specifically. Things are about to break in the Henry/Withers murders, and unlike Duo Damsel of the Legion of Superheroes, I can't be in two places at once... like I need to be right now."

"So what are you going to do?" Cindy asked.

"Accept the sacrifice." I said. "They are giving me Russell on a platter, and I will take the opportunity and fuck him up."

"What can I do to help?" Cindy asked.

"Support Captain Perlman; she's going to be a busy bee today." I said. "Jack Muscone will be helping me today, so you'll need to help the Sheriff keep the FBI BAU off our asses. You can also keep D.A. Walters at bay if she sticks her nose in things in a way that might fuck us up."

"I dunno." said Cindy. "The Chief is truly angry at me for what I said to her. And I noticed he's been pulling at your leash, too, which causes the Sheriff to pull on his leash. I'm getting a vibe that a problem could develop, there."

"True." I said. "By the way, are we ready for the announcement of the Police Boxing Matches, and Promotions and Medals Day on May 1st?"

"The Boxing Matches are canceled; they're just going to give me the trophy and save y'all the beatdowns." Cindy said with a grin. "And yes, May 1st is ready. It's going to be sad; we're going to be posthumously honoring Officer Barker."

"We'll have some happy moments, too." I said.

Just then, Callie came outside. "So, would you like to hear the Rovers BAU assessment of you, Don?"

"Sure, I could use some Detective Fiction to cheer me up." I said. Cindy chuckled at that.

Callie read from a piece of paper: "Commander Troy often gives suspects easy chances to escape prosecution. He will unnecessarily insist on suspects having lawyers before questioning them. He does not bluff nor lie like many Police Officers do to confuse a suspect into revealing information, which is a serious weakness on his part; this Boy Scout attitude could put innocents in jeopardy. He is completely by-the-book regarding evidence. He also is full of himself, believes he is always right and his theories are always right, and does not work well with fellow Detectives in that he hides information from them."

"Well, that part is right!" said Cindy, her ice-blue eyes lighting up as she teased me.