Unresolved Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes, General." Laura replied. "Jim is her brother, and she says he's going to West Point one day."

"I sure hope so." said McFarland. "What about you, Carole? Are you going to be in the Army one day?"

"I'm going to be a Po-leece De-tec-tive." Carole said. "Like my daddy."

"And speaking of daughters, General McFarland," I said, "yours is standing right behind you." McFarland turned to see Alison standing in the back doorway to MCD.

"Ohh..." said the stunned General. "Hello, Alison. I had no idea you were here."

"Hi Dad." Alison said solemnly. "I didn't know you were coming."

"General, there are a couple of empty offices across the hall." I said. "Why don't you and Alison talk in one of them for a few minutes."

"Uh, yeah, sure." said McFarland. He and Alison went into the Sheriff's temporary office.

"He told you he only had one daughter?" I asked Laura. When she nodded, I said "Alison said she has a sister, who is really estranged from the General. At least Alison is talking to him."

"I wonder how that's going to work out." Laura said, her voice a bit pensive and not hopeful.

"It'll be okay, Mommy." Carole said. "They were happy to see each other, even though they didn't look it." Laura and I just exchanged a glance at that, and I had a little grin on my face.

"Commander, I'm sorry to disturb you, but time is short." said the Marine General a second later. "May I have a word with you in your office?"

"Certainly, General." I said. I handed Carole back to Laura. "Follow me, please." I said.

"Bye bye." said Carole as we left the room...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We went into my office, while the Chairman's security stayed outside. He looked around my office. "Ah, Gunny Guernica's Eagle, Globe, and Anchor." he said, observing it in its frame on the wall to his right, my left.

"Yes sir," I said, "and that drawing of me was done by his young son. Did a good job, though he made my ears a bit too big."

"No, he got them just right." said the General with a grin. "Guardians of Justice Motorcycle Club." he said, seeing the framed patch on the wall. "Yes, I've heard of them... and the Guardians of Justice."

He looked at the other wall. "Way too modest, Commander. Just your Medals of Valor and... citations for Bowser... who is Bowser?"

"My dog, sir." I said. "He saved a child's life leading us to her in a ditch, and he visits the Cancer Center kids every year." The General shook his head in amazement, then looked at the framed sets of jump wings.

"Israeli?" he asked.

"Yes sir." I said. "I got to jump with the 55th Paratroopers. Incredible honor."

"Yes." the General said simply. I wondered how much he knew about that... and the identity of the Mossad agent I'd made that jump with...

"I'm very impressed with your Team." said the General. "You've got a lot of fine people working with you. I know of Captain Croyle's father's actions that earned him the Medal of Honor, and I heard of what she did to rescue your and Dr. Fredricson's daughter."

"Yes, I'm very grateful to her for that." I said. "Please sir, have a seat." I said. As he sat down, I sat in my chair and was now talking alone in my office with the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. "I appreciate you coming, General, and for this award."

"You absolutely deserve it, too." he said. "General McFarland is still amazed at what you did to resolve the crisis. Melina Allgood will be receiving a similar citation from the FBI."

"Good. She deserves it, sir." I said. "I was glad to be able to help, as well. So how can I help you today, sir?"

"I just wanted to tell you something, between just the two of us." said the General, leaning forward and almost whispering. "I know about some of the things going on in Washington and all over the country, and here. Admiral Keating was a good friend of mine, a very good friend, as is retired Admiral Cordell. What I'm saying, Don... is that I'm on your side."

My eyes must've gotten wide. The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said "Not everyone is, though. McFarland is okay, he's a Patriot, loves his country... but he also loves his career. And there are a lot of people, especially in the Intelligence Community, that are part of the Swamp, as you call it. You've done an amazing job, along with your wife... destroying two rogue CIA cells, and rooting out Les Craig. He did incredible damage to the FBI, more than you know."

I nodded and the General went on: "I'm in a very good position to help, but at the same time it's too high a position at times. I do know that the main danger is in the Intelligence Community itself."

"What can I do to help, sir?" I asked.

"We're here to help you, Commander." said the General. "I know you're looking for that mercenary group, Ridge and Starr, and you're looking for that Red Chinese agent Shimono. Keep looking for them. And if you need help, contact Special Agent Nash or his uncle, the retired FBI Deputy Director. They'll get word to me."

I remembered that when this General had given me Gunny Guernica's insignia, the FBI DepDirector had accompanied him. I now realized that the DepDirector and the General were allies, and that the meeting with me then had not been arranged just to give me that insignia, and the medal award today had other purposes, as well.

"What about my wife?" I asked.

"She'd just talk to the same people." said the General, seeing that I was connecting the proper dots. "We fear they're watching her, so she is doing her main job, which is being your wife and watching over you, just as you are watching out for her."

There was a knock on the door, and a security man looked in. "General, we need to be going."

"On my way." said the General. We stood up and shook hands. "Congratulations again, Commander. And keep up the outstanding work."

"Thank you, General." I said. "And Semper Fi."

"OO-RAH!" said the CJCS, ever a United States Marine, as he left my office. "Semper Fi, Commander..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

General McFarland introduced Alison to the CJCS, and said he was going to stay here for a while. He always traveled with a civilian suit and tie, into which he changed after the CJCS left.

MCD was a bit emptier, as Laura and the DepDirector were talking in an office, and General McFarland and Alison were getting a tour of TCPD from Lt. Rudistan... without adult supervision. But I didn't have time to worry about that. There was another ceremony to be performed in MCD.

Officer Barker's parents brought Frieda Franklin and Barky in. Joanne and Frieda petted Barky and talked about him and his brother Leo, and Joanne showed Frieda photos of Leo. Barky seemed to be a bit nervous with the crowds around, so we started the ceremony.

"The K-9 Commendation Medal is awarded to K-9 Corporal Barky," Cmdr. Cindy Ross said, "for his valor in defending his family from home invaders. He is also awarded the K-9 Purple Order for being wounded in the line of duty." Everyone clapped as she handed Frieda the framed citations, and I pinned the medals onto Barky's collar along with his badge. Barky seemed to like me well enough that he endured my actions, and I took the opportunity to give him some good skritchins and pettings.

Afterwards, the Barkers took Barky home; they would return later. In the meantime, in the Chief's office, with Captain Perlman present, I swore in Jerome Davis as Supervisor and the Chief and Sheriff pinned the Supervisor insignia on his shoulders. Cindy handed Jerome his 'bling', the 'Lieutenant (B)' badge and silver bars that we'd pin on his shoulders in the public ceremony.

"The school buses are arriving." we were informed. Indeed, the entirety of Eastside Elementary School was being brought to our ceremonies today, and would be coming through on tours after the Ceremonies. Fortunately, it was almost time to begin the ceremonies, so we went outside.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We'd brought in bleachers for the students, and they were sitting on either side of the Officers in the middle. It was a bright, beautiful day as I brought out a box and put it under the podium. Then the Chief came up to start the ceremonies.


There were few promotions, but obviously there was one big one. Captain Tanya Perlman sat in her wheelchair next to the podium to read the proclamation brevetting Jerome Davis to Lieutenant. As his father and I pinned his Lieutenant bars on his shoulders, I glanced at the Detectives in the stands out of the corner of my eye. Joanne didn't look unhappy, which made me happy, and the other Detectives seemed happy about it.

The Press was here recording the event, but they would not make much of a big deal about the first Person of Color to be promoted to a Detective Lieutenant position. That was a good thing, I guess; promotions of minorities and women were a 'normal' thing in my Police Force. And it messed up the Media's narrative that the 'racist Iron Crowbar' was pinning the insignia on Jerome's uniform... and had made the ultimate decision on Jerome as the one to be promoted. And with a great deal of malice, I thought how I'd have loved for Captain Malone to have been here to see this. He'd be hating it...

I shook Jerome's hand, then he shook his father's hand. That was not enough for Jonathan; he pulled his son to him in a man-hug. I suspect that was the most emotion he'd shown towards his son in a long time. Jerome hugged his father back as everyone in the stands applauded strongly.

Next, we awarded a Certificate of Appreciation to Alison McFarland for her assistance in the Stephen Henry/Wendy Withers case. As I handed her the framed certificate and shook her hand, I noticed that her father, standing near the bleachers with his security, had a look of pride on his face. He and his daughter had some years to make up; I hoped this would be the beginning of that for them both.

"We're going to have more Certificates," I said at the podium, "but we're going to save those until the end." With that, we began handing out the medals. There were a number of Achievement and Commendation Medals for Officers from the Marcie Harper drug bust, the EMPTY QUIVER event, and the 'Four Square' cases. There were no Stars of Gallantry awarded this time, but then came a surprise: Commander Ross read the proclamation as the Chief pinned a Police Medal on my uniform, a cumulative award for my participation in those recent and harrowing cases, though the Harper drug bust was emphasized.

And then the mood changed as the Chief had Officer Barker's parents and Frieda come up. The entire Police Force stood up. I read the first proclamation, which ended with the words: "For saving life at the cost of his own, Officer Barker is posthumously awarded the Lifesaving Medal."

As the Chief handed Frieda the opened box with the Lifesaving Medal in it and the framed proclamation to go with it, the Police Force clapped strongly but solemnly. Seeing them act, the school kids also stood up to clap. Frieda had tears in her eyes, but stayed brave as she accepted the awards.

"Officer Barker was taken from us way too soon." I said. "His career was all too short, but was very distinguished, and included earning the Purple Order. And so, to recognize the career of this outstanding Officer, he is posthumously awarded the Police Distinguished Service Medal."

As the Chief presented the TCPD's third highest medal to Barker's parents, Mrs. Barker began sobbing on her husband's shoulder. Mr. Barker was openly crying, also, as he accepted the award. The Force gave them an even stronger and louder round of applause, which was sustained for several long moments.

As the Barkers were helped back to their seats in the stands, I said "Frieda, stay up here for a moment." The little red haired girl did so, coming over to the podium as I said: "Would Carole Troy, Davie Marsdon, Timmy Austin, and Susie Haskins please come up."

They all did so, and stood in a row next to Frieda; Susie next to her, Carole in the middle, and Davie and Timmy on the other end.

"We are honored to have Detective Theo Washington's cousin, Heisman Trophy winner Jamaal Washington, helping with these presentations." I said. Jamaal came up, smiling brightly, typically out-'GQ'ing everyone like his cousins did. The elementary schoolchildren were agog, and were applauding loudly for him.

I said "Ms. Frieda Franklin has greatly helped the Police Force by giving us information that has helped lead to the identification and stopping of several wanted criminals. For saying something when she saw something, and for bravely helping me at risk to herself, Frieda Franklin is awarded this Certificate of Appreciation." Jamaal handed Frieda her framed certificate and shook her hand as everyone applauded.

"And speaking of coming forward," I said with a grin, "the TCPD's youngest Detective, Carole Troy, observed something not quite right and informed the Police. It was her observations that directly led to the biggest drug bust in this State's history. For those observations, and for saying something when she saw something wrong, Carole Troy is awarded this Certificate of Appreciation." Jamaal handed Carole her framed certificate, but a handshake wasn't enough for her; she went forward and hugged Jamaal's legs.

"And for their assistance to me in helping stop a dangerous wanted criminal, at great risk to their safety, Susie Haskins, Davie Marsdon, and Timmy Austin are awarded these Certificates of Appreciation, along with my personal gratitude for their courage and fighting skills." There was strong acclaim as Jamaal handed the Trio their awards. As the photos were taken, Cindy had come up, and she and I took some objects out of my box.

"For these courageous young 'whippersnappers', as the Sheriff would call them," I said, "we have... crowbars!" This was to reward the courageous kids, but also my subtle shot at the Media for accusing me of endangering the children by emboldening them to help me push Paco over the cliff. (Author's note: 'Little Red Haired Girl', Ch. 04-05.)

I took one of the red felt crowbars and bent it as I said "These are not made of iron; they are made of the same materials Nerf footballs are made out of. Still, guys, do not use these on your classmates. Understood?"

"Yes sir!" said the excited kids. I handed red Nerf crowbars to Timmy and Davie, and Cindy handed green Nerf crowbars to Frieda and Susie. Their faces looked like it was Christmas morning after Santa Claus had visited.

But as I was going to hand Carole her red crowbar, she put her hands behind her back and said loudly "No thank you, sir!"

Cindy had the microphone Tanya had used, and she came up to Carole and said "Why not, Carole?"

Carole said clearly into the microphone: "I'll wait until I earn the real red crowbar!"

"WHHOOOAAAAAAAAAA!" shouted the entire Police Force as laughter and applause erupted everywhere. Carole's mother had her hand covering her eyes; she was not as amused at what she perceived as impoliteness. The Sheriff's mustaches were twitching most merrily. Cindy, Teresa, and Tanya were laughing and cheering. Carole just stood there shyly with her hands still behind her back.

Jamaal Washington yelled "That's what I'm talking about!" and came up and high-fived Carole. He understood: that same attitude had led him to winning a Heisman Trophy. Carole then accepted the high-fives of Susie, Davie, and Timmy.

I was later shown that I had a look of profound 'shock and awe' on my face at my daughter's words. I looked at her, then at the Police Force, and just shook my head in wonder as they cheered all the harder.

When some semblance of order was restored, I said. "Well... o-kayyyyy." I put away the felt crowbar and picked up the real thing and held it up. "Here it is. Come see me... in about twenty years." The Police Force cheered again. None of us realized that the day The Greatness would begin was less than those 20 years away...

Part 29 - Burning Embers

"This is Amber Harris, KXTC Channel Two News!" said the athletic blonde reporterette at 6:00pm, Wednesday, May 1st, from the anchor desk at KXTC Studios. "Lawyers for Peter Blassingame and Susan Dougherty are working feverishly to get their clients released from jail as legal maneuverings play out in both local and Federal Courts. The Federal Appeals Court ruled that the the Federal judge that intervened to quash warrants issued by the local Superior Court was wrong to do so, that the Federal Government did not have jurisdiction over a local murder case."

Amber continued: "The University has already expelled Blassingame, Dougherty, and several others in connection with the hazing incidents that led to the rapes of several Sorority pledges and the murders of two University students, and are moving to shut down the Tau Fraternity and Pi Omega Sorority as evidence mounts that these two organizations have been complicit in criminal hazing incidents for years. However, the Tau Fraternity appealed the University's action to the State Regents and also sued the University, claiming that the Fraternity as an institution has not been proved to be criminally complicit, and they remain open for now..."

Amber then said "We now bring in our Senior Managing Editor, Bettina Wurtzburg." As the camera panned out to show the redheaded MILF reporterette, Amber asked: "Bettina, do you believe the University can and will shut down the Tau Fraternity, whose members for years have become some of the most powerful and wealthy members of Society?"

Bettina said "There is a lot of complex legal maneuvering going on, and that may take some time to work its way through the legal system. Peter Blassingame and Susan Dougherty will have their trials in a few months, and they are expected to fight to the last ditch against these charges. Overall, I'd say it's likely the Tau Fraternity will continue to operate on Campus for a long time, and even may never be shut down..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

11:30pm, Wednesday night, May 1st. The Charter Commission meeting, held at Edna Carter's house, was ending when my Police iPhone rang.

"Oh my God." I gasped as I was told the news, which had everyone looking at me. As I disconnected, I said "I have to go. Someone set the Tau Fraternity House on fire..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I parked my Police SUV on the curb a distance down from the Tau House; Fire, Police, and ambulance vehicles were crowded in ahead of me, creating chaos. As I walked up towards the scene, brilliantly lit by the red, white, and blue lightbars of various emergency vehicles, I was met by Captain Teresa Croyle.

"We have her in custody, sir." she said.

"Who?" I asked.

"They didn't tell you when they called, sir?" Teresa asked.

"No, so don't keep me in suspense." I replied.

"When the first Fire and Police vehicles arrived, the House was burning fiercely." Teresa reported. "There was a woman standing in the front yard, with a shotgun in her hands. It was Kitty Summers."

I groaned. We came up to the edge of the property. The old, large building was almost completely destroyed. The brick walls had caved in, the columned porch was no longer. Only a smoking ruin was left."

"Wish we'd had you here earlier, Commander." said Fireman Greg Towson.

"Casualties?" I asked, understanding Towson's meaning.

"Yes, Commander." said Fire Chief Quinlin as he walked up to us. "No one from the Fire Department, but we've found ten bodies inside, eight males and two females. The two females and two of the males were found together, and were possibly in bed together. So far, we have not found anyone who will admit to being inside and getting out alive."

I nodded. "Where is Summers?" I asked Teresa.

"At Headquarters." Teresa replied.