Unwilling Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Darla's face was darkening with every word Rayne said, but that last part made her snort derisively. "Yeah, right," she sneered, shaking her head.

Rayne sighed deeply. "I get that you're angry at him. But why do I get the feeling you don't know why you feel this way?" he deadpanned, hoping to provoke her into speaking her mind.

Scratch, scratch, scratch, was all he got as an answer, as she once more picked at the armrest. Her forehead was wrinkled with exhaustion and concentration, but she just didn't seem to be able to grab that one thought that might give herself- more than Rayne- an explanation for her feelings.

Darla finally slammed her fist onto the armrest, making it groan with force. "Is there a reason?" she squeezed out, staring at Rayne like she was trying to read his mind. It was hard to tell if she was playing dumb or simply being stubborn.

"Yes, of course," Rayne offered, fed up with her excuses. If they kept going like this, nothing would be accomplished. "You've got enough reason to want to kill him, frankly said. And I'm the one who'd have to stop you, so I'd at least like to make sure you know why you're taking this road. And don't tell me you aren't thinking about it, I can see it in your eyes."

Something changed in her face and she quickly looked away, trying to hide those emotions dancing through it. "Why would I want to kill Darwin? He's nothing to me." This time there was nothing in her voice, but the sheer absence of emotions was more than enough of a giveaway for Rayne.

"He bit you. He's the one who ruined your life," he offered, like it was nothing.

Those words echoed through the cabin like a deep, thundering bell. Darla gaped at him with a look of sheer horror on her face.

"What?"

~*Harry*~

"Please, no more," Harry groaned, hugging the five plastic bags full of clothes to his chest. He was sitting on one of those futons for patient husbands and boyfriends right in the middle of the busy designer store, trying desperately to take the weight off his burning soles.

They were two hours into their shopping spree through the small town of Renton, and already Darwin had broken his promise not to visit one of those fancy shops. Harry didn't so much dislike designer clothes per se, he just knew what would happen if they set foot into one of those establishments. It happened every time.

"Stop your whining, I'm almost done," Darwin's disembodied voice answered from one of the changing cubicles. There was a short rustle of cloth, then he stepped out, presenting what amounted to screaming white boot-cut pants with black ink-like swirls along the sides. "Do this pants make my ass look fat?"

He looked gorgeous.

"No, they fit nicely," Harry sighed, "just like the last five pairs you tried on and can't afford. Can we please finish our tour and go home? My feet are killing me."

"Yes, yes. Gimme a minute." Darwin disappeared once again, and the rustling of clothes continued.

It weren't just his feet though. Harry prided himself on being relaxed and fun, but today he just didn't seem to be able to get his mojo going. Him being this grumpy and whiny was definitely unusual, but try as he might, he couldn't pin down the reason for his mood-swing.

Of course, objectively, he shouldn't be surprised by unusual emotions. He, along with everyone else in their small pack, had been attacked, threatened and uprooted into a godforsaken strip of hinterland woods, where they were stuck for god knew how long with nothing more than the clothes on their backs and whatever small savings and credit limits they had left on their bank accounts. Now that he had time to think about it, Harry surmised he had taken the whole disaster pretty well, laid-back as he thought himself to be. Better than Rayne, and definitely better than Darla; her, nobody could blame for a temper.

But this unrest he was feeling? It had nothing to do with being an easy-going guy, and nothing to do with their recent problems. He hadn't felt it at the cabin, and he hadn't been too upset in the car. He was upset now, so something must have changed.

Drawing a deep breath of perfume-clotted air, he looked at the creamy-white wooden floor, then threw a glance over the tastefully scattered clothes hangers and mannequins along the white and peach painted walls.

He didn't want to be here, that was for sure. The lady at the register had thrown both of them more than one funny look, and had stopped looking at them altogether when Harry had had to help Darwin into one of those too tight jeans he so loved, and man-parts had had to be touched.

The better question was, where would he rather be?

You know where, his mind instantly answered, and was just as quickly squashed down. He was so not falling in love with that Rayne-guy, of all people this world had to offer!

Luckily, Darwin chose that moment to step out of his cubicle, wearing his own clothes. "I just realized the shops around here close earlier than at home. If we don't hurry, we won't get any food today," he observed, then grinned at Harry's grumpy face. "Yeah, yeah, you told me so, I get it. Thanks for sitting this out."

The bell above the front door chimed happily as they left the store. It still rang in Harry's ears as they walked down the street, heading for the 'BigBuy' sign hovering in the distance. "Not that this was an unusual event, but how come you'd rather spend half an hour trying on clothes you can't buy, than be at home with Jared?" Harry finally asked. "I thought this whole mating thing was kind of a true-love-deal." At least he himself felt the increasing need to get back to Rayne, but that was something best kept silent.

Darwin shrugged nonchalantly. "We needed clothes," he said without looking at Harry.

"We already have clothes," Harry retorted and held up the plastic bags he was carrying.

"I liked the stuff in the window display," Darwin tried again and started chewing his lower lip as he walked faster. He was trying to out-walk Harry and look inconspicuous at the same time, and it wasn't working.

"I'd believe you under any other circumstance," Harry admitted, still smiling slightly as he tried to keep up on his shorter legs, "but something else is going on. You don't want to go home, is that it?"

The glass walls of the 'BigBuy' came into view, and Darwin stopped walking. He looked nervous, ashamed maybe, and distraught. The cold near-winter wind tugged at his hair and blew into the flimsy sweater he was wearing, carrying the scent of sewer with it. They both shivered with cold.

"I want to go home," Darwin finally answered, but kept his gaze turned to the ground. "I just don't want to go where she is. She hates me, and she's got every right to do so, and there's nothing I could say or do to make it better. Except for giving her as much space as possible."

He was talking about Darla, that much Harry got without having to ask. He didn't understand Darwin's thoughts though. Did he mean he wanted to kick Darla out? Or did he want to leave the pack? "So you plan to stay in Renton indefinitely? Get a small apartment, work at the gas station? Maybe have an illicit relationship with a married guy named Buzz?" he only half joked. Even after more than a year of friendship, Harry was still puzzled by some of Darwin's idiosyncrasies.

Darwin's amused laugh was relieving to hear. "No, silly, of course not. Who would watch over your ass if I'd disappear?" he said jokingly, nudging Harry with his shoulder.

"Rayne would be most happy to," Harry answered with a grin before he could stop himself. He turned beet-red as soon as the words left his lips though, ducking his head embarrassedly. "Shit, and this after I promised myself I wouldn't bring him up!"

Darwin only snorted dismissively. "I get that you think he's hot, but I know you. You'd put out before you're sure he'll stick around," he said, slowing down just enough to match Harry's shorter steps. "And contrary to your love-sick attitude, he doesn't look that smitten with you. I might be wrong, of course," he added quickly when he saw Harry's face fall, "but we'll find that out if you just make him work for it a little bit."

Harry shrugged to that, but he looked thoughtful as they walked the last block to the one and only supermarket in Renton. There were only a few dozen cars in front of it, and most of the people they crossed paths with watched them go by curiously.

It took quite some time to gather enough food for five people, but Harry made sure they bought most of the essentials in big enough quantities to spare them another big shopping trip for the foreseeable future. As Darwin learned, if you bought enough coffee, flour, spices, polenta, rice, canned goods, tomato paste and noodles, there were a million and one dishes you could cook with only small items to add.

The only luxury they allowed themselves were a few fresh vegetables. Harry was checking out broccoli stalks for god knew what, when Darwin noticed a ratty looking guy watching them with obvious interest. He looked to be around forty, dressed in jeans riddled with machine oil stains and a checkered flannel shirt, flapping open like a blatant invitation to stare at his hirsute chest. His head was just as hairy, unkempt and in dire need of a shave, the mop of hair only kept in check by a baseball cap he wore backwards.

The way that guy stared directly into Darwin's eyes made him turn away instinctively. It didn't help though. Moments later the distinct scent of werewolf and old sweat floated over him, and he didn't need to turn around to know that guy was standing rudely close to him.

Harry looked up from the broccoli, but he looked down just as quickly and sneakily moved behind Darwin. Maybe it was just habit, after all, he had acted like a dominant for Harry before, but this time Darwin felt left alone.

"What'cha doin' here, puppy?" the guy drawled, leaning onto their shopping cart with both hands. If he were a girl, Darwin would have been able to look right into the cleavage and down to the belly button, but at least he was spared that small horror. His eyes never left Darwin's face, a straight and unwavering stare of challenge.

"Shopping," Darwin replied as calm as possible, giving him his best frosty glare. "It's quite obvious if you bother to look somewhere else than my eyes."

Hairy guy cracked a smile, but it was just as lecherous as his behavior already suggested, and he didn't quit staring provocatively. "Why should I? I'm always up to a challenge, and you're making my day right now," he growled, looking happy all of a sudden.

It was enough of an incentive for Darwin to drop his gaze in an instant. He definitely didn't want a full-blown fist fight with a dominant werewolf the size of that guy, not in a supermarket, not outside of it, not ever. For the first time in a long time he realized, that, no, he definitely wasn't anything close to a dominant, and there was no amount of acting that would get him there.

With a jolt of surprise, he realized he missed Jared. He even missed Rayne, although he couldn't bring himself to miss Darla. He just wasn't there yet. But if one of those two were here, they would set that guy straight in a heartbeat, and he'd stop threatening them.

That realization brought on another idea that sounded way better than trying to bluff his way out of this. After all, Jared hat explained to them there was a resident pack around here, and they had given their word to leave them be. Why not use that knowledge?

With a deep sigh, Darwin turned away, ending the fight for dominance. "You know, your Alpha promised to leave us be," he said, trying for calm, but sounding annoyed.

The shopping cart groaned under the increasing weight the guy added by leaning forward. "Well, that was before I knew there would be two tasty subs all on their little lonesome," he replied with a hiss and clicked his teeth with a broad grin.

So much for that idea.

Harry made soft beeping noises with his phone behind Darwin's back, and luckily, there was too much background noise for their opponent to hear them. Darwin couldn't turn around to find out what exactly Harry was doing there, but he hoped Harry was calling for backup. Not that it would help- the cavalry was miles away, and Darwin had the keys to their one and only car in his pocket. They were pretty much on their own.

A wash of fear ran up Darwin's back and made his hairs stand on end. What was he supposed to do now?

Fear turned into a knot of silent panic as he made a decision, that kind of knot that made him feel cottony and weightless and just a bit light-headed.

"Harry, please pay for our groceries and go home," he said in the most pleasant tone he could muster, pulling out the car keys from his pocket and handing them over behind his back. As Harry grabbed the shopping cart, Darwin made two steps forward, hustling the disheveled man away from it before he realized what was happening, and off Harry went. There was a bit of confusion as the guy tried to decide if he should go after Harry or stick with Darwin, but a bit of provocative shoving made up his mind for him.

It didn't do Darwin any good though.

The man couldn't really do anything as long as they were in the supermarket, there were simply too many eyes and ears around to 'wolf out' on Darwin, but he looked tickled enough. As Harry fled into the general direction of the cash points, Darwin was shoved back against the baskets full of vegetables.

"So, you decided to stand up for yourself, eh? Stupid, stupid decision," he growled and tried to grab Darwin, who skittered away through the protruding fruit displays.

"Nope, just trying to keep you busy until the cavalry arrives," Darwin replied with bated breath. He didn't try to flee, but he did his best to keep a few feet of distance between him and the dominant wolf. It was all he could do for now.

If he attempted to run for it, the wolf would chase him, and catch him sooner rather than later. If he fought, he would get beaten into a pulp for good measure. If he gave in, he'd probably get raped, or at least kidnapped to be integrated into that guy's pack, which wasn't that much better than rape. Out of options, and with time running out, he could only hope that Harry would hurry up and get help.

~*Jared*~

Jared was ripped out of the most pleasant dream imaginable, just felt minutes after he'd finally managed to lay down for a nap. Luckily for the culprit, it was the screeching of tires on gravel that woke him, not the loud bang the front door of the cabin made as it was ripped open without regard for the wall behind the hinges.

He sat up with a start, listening to the muffled voices outside as adrenaline-soaked blood rushed through his ears. Were Harry and Darwin finally back from shopping?

Jared crawled out of bed as his pulse calmed. One of the voices definitely was Harry's, but the other one was Rayne, and both of them sounded alarmed. Just as he grabbed the door handle, someone else pushed at it from the other side, resulting in a short tug-o-war before it swung open, leaving a decidedly panicked Harry to stare at Jared with his mouth hanging open.

"Oh, you're awake, good! We need to hurry," he wheezed, turning around before he finished his sentence. Rayne was standing next to the door, already putting on his jacket. His face looked grim.

"What's going on?" Jared asked, looking around the room blearily. "And where's Darwin?"

Harry went through the door before he could answer, and Rayne hovered there for just enough time to say, "Harry and Darwin were accosted by someone from the local pack, Harry came to get us, Darwin's still back there with that guy." Then he went outside too, leaving Jared to suffer through another bout of panic on his own.

All he wanted to do was storm outside and smash something, but at the same time all those little, stupid thoughts flooded his mind. Had they turned off the stove? Closed the fridge door and all the windows? What about the lights? It was an unsettling reaction to shock, but at least it helped him control his instant anger. Anger was a good tool, but only if it was controlled, and the confusion gave Jared just enough time to do that.

"What about Darla?" Jared yelled at the open door as he turned around to grab his sweater from the bed.

"I'm coming with," he heard her call from the outside. As much as Jared doubted it was a good idea to take a new werewolf into the city, there was no time to argue.

They piled into the car and drove off before the last door fell shut. Rayne was driving, mostly because Harry looked like he was about to keel over with panic, and Jared had been the last one out of the door and wasn't taking prisoners. Gravel sprayed and tires screeched as he raced down the steep mountain.

At least it gave Harry time to fill them in. "We were shopping for groceries, when this guy came up to us. He was acting weird from the start, didn't even flinch when we reminded him of the deal we have with the local pack. I think he's sub-shopping, and I think Darwin knows that. He kept the guy busy and made me run to get you," he wheezed through his rapid breathing.

"What's sub-shopping?" Darla asked with a puzzled, altogether too calm voice. She didn't care too much for Darwin's fate, but that had to be expected.

Rubbing his face, Jared decided to concentrate on her. It would give him something to do other than worry about Darwin.

"Rayne told you about submissives and dominants and all that, right?"

Darla nodded. "And Alphas, yes."

The car swerved onto the main road connecting them to Renton, and Jared had to hold on to the door handle to keep himself from tumbling into Darla's lap. "Well, some packs need submissives badly enough to go steal them," he explained with bated breath. "It's antiquated and cruel and requires a lot of stuff some would call kidnapping and torture, but those people don't care as long as they get the results they want. I've never met a pack that still practices that, but live and learn."

"So they're trying to steal what, Darwin? How should that work, in any imaginable way?" she said bemused, seemingly unbothered by Rayne's mad driving. "Even if they take him by force, the first moment he's not being watched he'll bolt. They can't keep him chained up for the rest of his life."

When she saw the hard look on Jared's face, she blanched. "Or can they?"

The car was going sixty miles per hour right through Renton, and Harry was giving directions to the 'BigBuy' with panicked gasps. At least he wasn't showing signs of an impending shape shift, which was reassuring enough.

"They could, but normally it would be too much trouble to try shit like that. Submissives need a pack, and they need to connect to it. If you keep a submissive from his pack for too long, he'll find a new one and stay there. Their instincts are very strong, and all it takes to keep them is stopping them from running and being nice for a long enough stretch of time. If a submissive resists too long or keeps making trouble, they'd just let him go at some point." Jared suddenly grinned with fierce pride. "They probably wouldn't know what hit them if they tried to keep Darwin by force."

Yes, he'd definitely make their lives hell, but they would do the same to him. Jared hadn't lied when he had told Darwin how other dominants wouldn't be as tolerant as Rayne. They'd beat him to mush if he mouthed off to them, and they'd keep it up right to the point where either they got tired of hitting him, or where Darwin was broken beyond use.

The 'BigBuy' sign came into sight just as Rayne reduced speed.

"So what's the plan then? Are we talking angry words, angry fists or angry axe-murder?" Darla said, looking pointedly at Jared's face. "By the way, your eyes are turning yellow."