Up, Up, and Away

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Please don't. Please stay and finish dinner with us."

"Yeah. Absolutely," Hank agreed.

He looked at Hank then back at Morgan, and when she smiled this time she also said, "I think I may have...overreacted. A tad."

Zayn was getting ready to tell her he'd stay, but before he could, she added, "And I really don't want to spend tomorrow evening alone, so if you could maybe force yourself to endure another evening of my company..."

Zayn glanced over at Hank who did the 'wink and nod' thing, something his sister saw, then looked back at Morgan.

"Well, I suppose it might not be as bad as say...a root canal...so..."

Morgan actually laughed the way she had before and told him that was high praise.

"I said it might not be that bad," Zayn reminded her in an over-the-top kind of serious way.

When she smiled again then playfully said, "I can live with that," Zayn's heart skipped a beat. "Okay then. Sure. That sounds great."

"Then it's settled!" Hank nearly boomed again causing Morgan to laugh which let Zayn do the same.

The conversation picked back up where it had been, interrupted only by the occasional visit from Cheryl who was now openly flirting with Hank. It was all by way of smiles and little touches, but it was impossible to miss.

"You're a hit," Zayn told Hank after she left their check with a big red heart on the bag.

"Well, yeah. I mean. We are talking about...ME...right?" he said, trying to keep a straight face.

Another round of laughter followed as they got ready to leave.

As the three of them started to walk out, Hank handed his car keys to Zayn and quietly asked if he'd walk his sister outside.

"Just hit the fob and you'll find our rental."

"Where's my brother going?" Morgan asked as Hank peeled off from 'the formation'.

"Well, it isn't the rest room," Zayn told her.

"Oh. Gee. Duh!" Morgan said with a laugh.

As they got near the exit, Morgan stopped to put on the cardigan sweater she had draped over her arm.

"Here. Let me help with that," Zayn said as he reached for the garment.

"Oh. Well...thank you," she said very sweetly as she held out one arm and then the other.

Zayn pulled it over her shoulders, and once it was in place, he gently put his hands on her shoulders and said, "There you go."

Another rush of...something...washed over Morgan as she thanked him before picking her purse up again while Zayn opened the door.

The October evening air was cool and dry causing Morgan to say, "It's chilly."

Without hesitation, Zayn slipped the jacket he was wearing off of himself and draped it around Morgan's shoulders.

She looked over at him, and just as sweetly as before said, "Thank you, Zayn," as he hit the fob and watched for taillights.

"Ah. There we go," he said as he pointed toward the flash, forgetting that Morgan had ridden there and knew where it was. Even so, she didn't say anything as she was again trying to understand what was going on between her and this very attractive, much-younger man who had been flirting with her all evening.

As they got to the car Morgan turned toward him and said, "This was really nice, and I'm so glad you came."

Zayn smiled at her and told her he agreed, and as he looked at Morgan, he could tell she wanted to say something.

"What is it?" he asked.

She didn't answer right away, but he did see her shiver, so he ran his hands along the jacket where her arms were.

When he did, Morgan smiled at him then said, "In spite of the rather awkward way my brother asked you to join us tomorrow, I'm really glad he did."

She smiled again then quickly added, "And I'm even happier you said 'yes'."

"So you're not upset with me for flirting with you?" Zayn asked as he smiled back at her.

"No. I'm not," she assured him. "Confused? Yes. But upset? No."

"You can't blame me, though, can you?" Zayn asked as he moved a little closer.

"I can't?" she asked as she suddenly felt very warm and even flushed.

"Well, you are an incredibly attractive woman, so you can't really fault me for wanting to let you know how I feel, right?"

"I...I guess that depends on how you feel," Morgan replied very quietly as they stared into one another's eyes.

"I can't answer that yet," Zayn began. "At least not completely. All I do know for sure is that I have never met a woman who makes me feel like you do."

"You...you can't possibly be serious," a very-surprised Morgan Graham said, her voice soft and small.

"And yet I am. Just like I really was flirting with you before."

"I...I see," was all she could say.

Just as Zayn began leaning down to kiss her, Hank's voice boomed out again.

"Who's the man!" he called out, startling both of them.

Morgan stood up straight as Zayn backed away and turned toward the sound of the noise.

"Good news?" Zayn asked, wondering if he'd noticed how close he came to kissing this older man's sister.

"I feel so alive!" Hank said as he walked over and picked his sister up and whirled her around.

Morgan shrieked with laughter while Zayn watched and smiled.

"Hank! Stop!" she said as he spun her around a second time.

He put her down then turned to Zayn and said, "I wasn't wild about coming to Albuquerque, but I didn't want my sister to go alone. But man, oh man, am I glad I came!"

"Settle down, Romeo!" his sister told him.

She was still smiling but not at her brother, and Zayn noticed.

"Are you okay to drive?" Zayn asked him.

"Me? Oh, sure. I weigh 190 and I had two glasses of champagne so, yes. I'm fine."

"Okay. Then I guess I'll see you two tomorrow?" Zayn said in the form of a question.

"I'll text you the info," Morgan promised.

"Please do," Zayn told her in a way that said he was interested in more than just the time and location.

"Oh. Don't forget your jacket."

Morgan slipped it off and thanked him again as Hank went around to the driver's side.

"You sure you don't need it?" Zayn asked as he opened her door.

"I'll be fine," she promised with a smile.

"Well. Okay, then. I'll uh, I'll see you tomorrow."

"That sounds really nice, Zayn," Morgan told him as she sat down.

Zayn made sure her dress was out of the way then closed the door and waved. As Hank backed up he put his jacket back on then watched the car drive away. It was nearly 11 o'clock, and Zayn realized he not only didn't have someone to go home with him, wanting a woman like that was the last thing on his mind.

It was too late to call his sister as she was often in bed before ten o'clock, so he drove home with only his thoughts; very pleasant thoughts about the best time he could remember having in well, quite possibly forever.

As they drove to their motel, Hank did all the talking. It was 'Cheryl this' and 'Cheryl that' the entire way, but Morgan was actually very happy for her big brother who didn't date much at all. His divorce had been so bitter that she often wondered if he'd ever love anyone else again.

And yet here she was feeling on top of the world because a very handsome, younger man had not only flirted with her but made her feel...special. No one but Nick had ever done that before, and while she still ached for him and the love of their daughter, it was wonderful to feel this way again.

For some time now, Morgan felt like she would one day be able to feel those kinds of feelings again. And today, for the first time since the death of her husband and daughter, she had confirmation of what she'd only previously believed.

By lunchtime the following day, Morgan felt almost sick to her stomach. Hank could tell something was going on and asked her if she was okay.

"Oh, sure. I'm fine," she told him, hating herself for lying but not wanting to discuss any of this with him, as she changed the subject and asked if he was excited about his date.

For the next half hour or so, Hank answered her question. When he finally took a breath she told him she was really happy for him. And when he walked her back up to her room before going to his, she let him know she might not be going with him later that evening.

"Are you sure you're okay? We can see a doctor here, you know," her brother reminded her.

"Yes. Of course. But I really just need to lay down for a bit, okay?" she said, hoping to reassure him.

"Okay, but I'm going to stop by around five or so and see how you're doing."

Morgan thanked him then went inside and sat down when she realized there was at least one person she could talk to.

"Morgan? How are you?" the familiar voice of her former therapist said.

"I'm okay," came the unconvincing reply.

"I know you too well to believe that. Is there something you want to talk about?"

"I'd ask if it's really that obvious, but yes, you really do know me that well," Morgan replied as she tried to laugh.

"What's going on?" her friend asked.

"Oh, boy. I'll tell you if you promise to be honest with me. And not to laugh."

A small laugh preceded the answer of, "When have I not been completely honest with you?"

Morgan sighed, said she agreed, then began explaining.

"So you're in New Mexico."

"Yes. For the Balloon Festival."

"Oh, right. I've seen pictures. Is it as amazing as it looks?"

"It is. And I've been up in a balloon twice, and it's even more beautiful than you can imagine."

"Something tells me this isn't about hot air balloons, though."

There was another audible sigh before Morgan came clean.

"Oh. I see. So...you've met someone."

"Well, yes and no. I have met someone, but it hasn't...we haven't...no one's..."

"I understand. It's still early."

"Yes. And I'm not sure there's even an 'it' yet."

"Morgan? You wouldn't have called if there wasn't. Don't get me wrong. I'm very happy to hear from you for any reason. But you're looking for advice or at least my opinion, so how about you tell me the rest of the story?"

It took her a couple of minutes to get around to the most important detail after sharing his name, his military service, and how nice he'd been to her, but eventually, Morgan said the words that had been making her feel nauseous all morning.

"So he's quite a bit younger than you. Okay. Now this is starting to make sense."

Morgan tried to laugh as she replied.

"If it made sense I wouldn't be calling."

She got a more genuine laugh in return and then something close to advice.

"Let me start by assuring you that I understand your concern. I can't give you a number of years that would make me uncomfortable, but anything more than say...ten...might do that."

"Yes. Same here!" Morgan said as soon as she felt like she'd found common ground.

"But..."

"But?"

"It would still depend on a lot of other things."

"Such as?"

"Well, like...personality. Like...a sense of humor. You said he and his sister own this business, so I don't think job security or laziness are potential issues. You mentioned he's...how did you put it? Oh, right. You said he's 'freaking gorgeous'."

Morgan sighed then admitted she had.

"He treats his sister well, and from everything you've told me, he's been incredibly good to you, too."

"All of that is true."

"All right. Then tell me how many things, other than his age, bother you about him."

There were several seconds of silence before Morgan finally spoke.

"I can't think of any."

"Not even one?" Ann asked to drive home her point.

"No. None. But in all fairness, I don't really know him all that well."

"Isn't that what dating is for?" her ex-therapist asked in a very lighthearted way. "To get to know someone?"

When Morgan didn't reply, she said, "If you were the same age, all other things being equal, would you even have called?"

"No," a very quiet, resigned-sounding voice replied.

"Morgan? Listen. I can't make this decision for you. All I can do is help you think it through. You've been alone for over four years now, and no offense, but you haven't exactly hit it off with anyone since you started dating again. You seem to really like this...younger man...and he seems to like you. So my question would be, 'What harm is there in spending some more time with him'? It's not like you're accepting a marriage proposal if you go with him and your brother tonight."

Those words, especially the last two sentences, worked like magic. The pall that had hung over her all morning disappeared, and the queasiness in her stomach went away.

"You're right. I'm taking this way too seriously," Morgan said, her old voice returning.

"Then there's your answer. Go with Hank tonight. Talk with this Zayn some more. Find out who he really is. And what's the worst that could happen? You have a nice time, come back home, and continue looking."

"Yes. Yes, that's exactly right," an excited Morgan Graham replied.

"Can I help with anything else?" Ann asked.

"No. But thank you. For everything."

"You're welcome, and I hope you have a wonderful time this evening."

"Yes. Me, too, and...well, I just wanted to tell you you're amazing."

"Ah! Thank you, Morgan! But you did all the hard work."

"I'd call it team...work," Morgan suggested with a laugh.

Her former therapist laughed then said, "I'm here for you, and if you need to talk again—as a friend—just give me a call, okay?"

"I really needed a friend today, so thank you again, Ann. And I will."

By the time she hung up, Morgan couldn't understand what she'd been so upset about. What Ann told her was true. She'd accepted an invitation to hang out with Zayn again, and there was nothing more to it.

And with that, she decided to go see her brother and let him know she was feeling better and looking forward to joining him later that evening.

But just as she went to knock on his door, she heard the unmistakable laughter of a woman.

"Hank! Stop!" the female voice said in a very playful way.

Morgan lowered her hand then quietly stepped away as she heard some loud giggling followed by another, "Hank! What are you doing?" and then a loud moan.

As Morgan walked back to her room she wasn't sure what to think. On the one hand she was happy to think that her brother was having a nice time. But on the other, the kind of nice time he was having was too much to imagine. She was no prude, but this was her brother, and he'd been single and unattached for so long she couldn't even imagine him...doing that.

Back in her room, Morgan sat there staring out the window of her fifth-floor room. She'd felt more alone before many times, all of it due to the 'accident', but she hadn't felt like this in many months. Her worry and anxiety about Zayn were gone, but here she was in another emotional quandary with no one to talk to.

The only other person she knew in ABQ was Zayn, and after about 20 minutes of feeling desperately alone, she picked up her phone and found his number. It took her another ten minutes of staring at the phone before her thumb hit 'dial', and even then, she almost hung up.

But the moment she heard his voice cheerfully say, "Morgan? This is a very pleasant surprise," she felt much better.

"Zayn. Hi. Am I bothering you?" she asked.

He was a thousand feet in the air when he said, "No. Not at all."

"Oh, good. I...I think I just needed someone to talk to."

Once those words were out of her mouth, she felt ridiculous for having said them, because she'd just had someone to talk to. Someone who'd helped her realize it would be just fine to get to know someone a little better.

"Then I'm glad you chose me," he told her sincerely.

"Now that I have you on the line, I'm not really sure why I called," the once-again-very-confused woman told him.

"Why don't you start with how you're doing," Zayn suggested. "Or I could start by saying what a great time I had last night. With you."

Grateful not to have to bring up Hank—or the giggling and moaning—Morgan finally smiled then said, "Yes. Me, too. That was really nice."

"And I'm very much looking forward to seeing you again tonight."

"I know you're not desperate for female companionship, so I'll just have to trust you that you really mean that," Morgan told him before realizing that made it seem like she didn't trust him. Or want to see him.

"I do really mean that," Zayn told her. "In fact, I've had to force myself not to call you all day so I could tell what I just said."

"You're...flirting with me, again, aren't you?" a slightly more-relaxed Morgan asked.

"I guess you could call it that," Zayn replied. "I'd prefer to think that it's just me letting you know how much I like you."

There was no confusion, but the relaxed feeling vanished. She wasn't sure what replaced it, but Morgan did know she was feeling all...fluttery inside.

"I...I like you, too, Zayn," she said, stopping before adding 'as a friend'.

Zayn somehow picked up on it then told her, "For me, it's more than just, as a friend, Morgan."

Morgan's heart skipped a beat before she replied.

"But we, you and I, we...we barely know each other, Zayn."

When he said, "Well, isn't that what dating is for?" a cold chill ran through her.

"So I've been told," she quietly replied.

Morgan heard the loud sound of propane burning to provide lift for a balloon and asked if he was in the air.

"I am as a matter of fact," he told her.

"Well, don't you...shouldn't you be..."

"I won't ever do this, but I could fly one of these with my eyes closed. This group is very quiet, and that's made it possible for me to talk to you."

He paused then said, "And there's nothing I'd rather do than talk with you, Morgan."

When she didn't reply, Zayn told her, "That was flirting."

"Oh. Yes. Right," Morgan nervously laughed.

"So I'll see you later this evening then?" Zayn asked hopefully.

"Um...yes. Of course. I'll see you then, Zayn," she told him being ending the call without letting him know where they were going.

Her loneliness was gone, but now she had butterflies in her tummy; butterflies that refused to go away until she and Hank pulled into the restaurant where they would be double-dating, just like they were in high school. Even though they'd never done that before. Ever.

Morgan hadn't said a word about what she'd heard at the motel, and Hank hadn't offered. But when Cheryl met them in the waiting area, it was obvious they weren't meeting for the first time. The kiss was short and sweet, but it was the way they looked at each other and the way Cheryl laughed that gave it away.

But before things got uncomfortable, Zayn came in right behind them and said, "Hello!"

"Zayn! Hey, buddy!" a very-animated Hank said as he pumped the younger man's hand. "I see you got my text."

"I did," Zayn told him.

"You remember Cheryl, right?" Hank asked as though the younger man might have forgotten overnight.

"I do. Good evening," he said as they also shook hands.

"And I believe we've met, too," he said to Morgan, who looked even more beautiful than she had the night before.

She'd worn a beautiful dress and her long, dark hair down the night before. Tonight she was wearing black pants and a dark blue sweater with her hair pulled back in a ponytail but looked just as beautiful.

"I believe we have," she agreed, that happy smile on her face as Zayn hugged her in a platonic kind of way.

"Dinner's on me tonight!" Hank let everyone know.

Zayn looked his way, but the only thing he noticed was how he and Cheryl were holding hands.

"Fast mover?" he whispered to Morgan.

She nearly laughed then leaned his way and said just as quietly, "Oh, you don't know the half of it!"

"Oh, really?" Zayn replied, his eyes open wide. "I'm looking forward to hearing this...other half."

"Well, I'm not looking forward to telling it!" a smiling Morgan said, suddenly feeling much more relaxed just as the hostess met them.

What began as annoying between Hank and Cheryl became entertaining as time went by. It also allowed Morgan to feel like she was developing a bond with Zayn who had a great sense of humor that matched up with hers quite nicely.