Urban Life Circa 1976

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

“Well, you know how us Navy boys are. When in doubt, use titles.”

Ned and Sam shook hands as they entered.

“You in the research biz too, Sam,” Ned asked.

“Support function to all the brilliant researchers like Cynthia. Once in awhile they let me look through a microscope or something.”

“Sam, you’re gonna get it, you know?” Cynthia said, poking him.

“Hey, just trying to be polite and get promoted,” Sam said.

They walked through an entrance hall and then through a large living room that led onto a patio. Younger guests were assembling glasses and buckets of ice and bottles on a large sideboard next to the back wall of the house.

“Bar’s almost open,” Sam said. “What may I get for you.”

At this Cynthia rushed to him and flung her arms around him and whispered in his ear.

“You can get me that big cock of yours and ram it up my ass.”

Ned saw Sam blush red and imagined Cynthia had said something risqué.

“Aw, it’s not time for that yet,” the young officer said.

“It’s always time for me, honey,” Cynthia answered, rubbing her hand on the front of his white uniform trousers. “I want to see you later.”

Sam looked at Ned and put his palms up in the air with a quizzical look and Ned smiled at him.

“I’ve known her quite awhile, Sam. Not to worry.”

“We don’t have many women like Cynthia in Oklahoma,” Sam said with a grin.

“I can imagine,” Ned said.

Then Cynthia came back and told him what she’d said.

“I figured it was something like that. You really are incorrigible.”

“Never. Never.”

They went to the bar and Ned got them some vodka and tonic. When he gave Cynthia hers, he realized the man she was talking to was the Captain, whom she introduced.

“Russell, this is my old friend, Ned.”

They shook hands.

“I understand you’re being moved out West,” Ned said.

“Finally,” Russell said. “I think 11 years in Washington is about my limit. We’ve got a place out there and I’m looking forward to getting back to less humidity and less stress.”

“San Diego?”

“Yeah, Naval Medical Center. A little more relaxed pace.”

Russell had on a pair of khakis and a polo shirt with the tail out and an old pair of topsiders.

“Take off your jacket and tie,” Russell said. “Put them up in the hall closet.”

“Thanks,” Ned said. “Excuse me.”

He went back in the house, pulling off his tie and stuffing it in his jacket pocket and put the jacket on a hanger in the big hall closet. As he was doing so he noticed a woman coming out from a bathroom under the staircase. She looked about his age and was blonde and looked just a little wobbly.

“Bad day at work,” Ned asked, smiling at her.

“Nah, work was fine. It was those martinis that Russell poured into me at the club. I forgot to have lunch.”

“Can you get something to eat.”

“Just on the way to raid the fridge. Who are you.”

“Ned. I’m a friend of Cynthia’s from long ago.”

“Navy.”

“Nope, just personal.”

“She’s a great gal. A little nuts, but great.”

“Don’t I know it,” he smiled. “And you?”

“You what.”

“What do they call you.”

She laughed.

“Oh. Linda.”

“Right. Nice to meet you.”

“You, too. See you in a minute.”

She tottered off towards the kitchen and Ned went back out through the living room to the patio where Cynthia was leaning against the low fence to the pool and stirring her drink with a finger as a huge man with a shock of red hair and ruddy complexion was saying something close to her ear.

Ned approached and stood at a polite distance looking over the rest of the crowd of perhaps twenty people assembled on the patio. When the man finished, Cynthia burst out laughing and slapped him on the arm.

“George, where do you hear these things. Everyone in your department knows the best jokes.”

“It’s Ramón, the Filipino chemistry techie – he brings us new ones every day. It’s like it’s part of his job description or something.”

Ned smiled and Cynthia motioned towards George and introduced them.

“Tell me you’re a brain surgeon,” Ned said to George, looking at his huge hands.

“Nah, didn’t have the interest in it,” he said. “I do dermo – plastic surgery.”

Ned laughed, knowing that required as delicate an approach as any surgery there was.

“Let me know when you get into private practice and you can fix my wrinkles later on,” Ned said.

George put a thumb up under Ned’s eye. “I dunno,” he said, “might be coming before then.”

They laughed and Ned listened to some more office gossip and chatter around him. He realized he was probably the only outsider in the group, but he didn’t feel out of place. He hadn’t know much about the people of the life of science or medicine, and only a bit about military life from his time in the Air Force, but the Air Force was much more casual about things than the Navy, which retained more old-time tradition than the other services.

The sun was beginning to go down and it cooled just a bit. Ned felt relaxed in his slacks and shirt with rolled-up sleeves, and he noticed Cynthia had perspired a bit around the arms but otherwise looked unbothered by the warmth. He went to get himself another drink and she touched his arm with her hand and glass and he took it as well.

A young man was behind the bar but Ned didn’t think he was a bartender.

“Nah, I’m just replenishing the supplies,” he said, moving the tablecloth covering the bar and coming up with another half-gallon of vodka. “Ah ha, there you are.” He opened it and put it on the bar.

“The very thing I was looking for,” said Ned.

“You’re here with Dr. Nelson – I mean, Cynthia,” the young man said.

“Yeah, we’re friends.”

“She’s really something.”

“So people tell me, and I think I have some understanding of that.”

“Have you seen her when she gets, uh, gets going.”

“Several times, in fact,” Ned said. “Pretty remarkable, huh.”

“Boy, I’ll say. Talk about uninhibited.” He paused. “But you know, she never loses her dignity somehow. It’s interesting.”

“I know what you mean. I watched her tickle a waiter’s wienie through his pants at the dinner table one time.”

“I can believe it.”

“Got us a nicer bottle of wine, as I recall.”

“What a gal.”

Ned took the drinks and walked through the chattering crowd back to where Cynthia was. On the way he noticed Linda looking a bit less tipsy and talking to another attractive woman. He stopped.

“Find something, then,” he said.

“Yes, thanks,” the woman said, “saved my life. Or at least my career.”

They laughed and Ned put out his hand to the other woman.

“Ned.”

“Sally,” the woman said. “Linda said you were with our lovely Cynthia.”

“Well, we’re old friends, that’s for sure.”

“From college days.”

“Just after. Met here in Washington at a party given by a guy who turned out to be a mutual friend.”

“She was married then, wasn’t she.”

“Just about. Guy named Jim Something. It didn’t seem to last long.”

“I know. She told me they went on their honeymoon with his parents on their yacht somewhere in Florida and were put in separate staterooms.”

“You know, you’re right. I’d forgotten that. Poor Jim.”

“Did she tell you anything else about that trip.”

“Only that her then-father-in-law tried to seduce her.”

“That’s it,” Sally said. “Amazing.”

“I guess if I’d been married to Jim’s mom, I would have felt similarly.”

“And what do you do when you’re not hanging around with Cynthia.” She gave him a look.

“I’m a business writer.”

“For a publication.”

“Mostly freelance,” he said. “Between here and New York.”

“Sounds great.”

“When they pay me on time, it can be,” he said. “How about you.”

“I am one of the great unwashed at Bethesda Naval who assists the great washed in accomplishing their remarkable feats of research.”

“You’re a secretary.”

Linda interrupted.

“This is where I came in. I’m going to find more interesting women to talk to.”

The three of them laughed and Linda wandered off. Ned noticed that Sally took the opportunity to turn a bit closer to him.

“Hi,” he said. She looked at him warmly.

“You’re married, aren’t you.”

“Aren’t we all. Except Cynthia.”

“Yes, I guess so. But that doesn’t seem to stop many around here.”

“So I understand.” He paused. “When does the fun begin.”

She looked at him.

“I think it already has.”

“Really.” He looked back at her and saw her big eyes. She moved the tiniest bit closer to him.

“Has Cynthia told you about any of us.”

“Not in any specifics, and certainly not by name,” he said.

“That’s so like her.”

“Meaning…”

“She doesn’t betray confidences even with her friends, or, old friends, I should say.”

“Not a bad policy, I think.”

She looked at him.

“Do you want to come with me for a minute.”

“Where.”

“Just inside. Believe me, she won’t notice.”

Ned looked over at Cynthia and she was surrounded by four men who were obviously lusting after her. She was enjoying it. He noticed that more people had stopped by and that there must be upwards of 30 or more, nearly filling the patio space. He turned back to Sally.

“Sure,” he smiled.

She smiled back and calmly took his hand and they walked to the door to the living room.

Inside, she walked to the fireplace and stood looking at a portrait of a man in a Navy dress uniform standing behind a formal chair in which a woman was sitting.

“Don’t they make a pair,” Sally said.

“Indeed,” Ned said. “There’s something about military tradition and formality that is actually very appealing, at least to me.”

“Me, too,” she said. “I’ve been a big part of it for a long time. Father and grandfather, brother, an uncle, cousins. . .”

“Husband.”

“Yes, of course. It seemed so natural. It still does, somehow.”

“And you’re still together.”

“You could call it that. He’s overseas with a special missions group. Has been for 18 months. And before that in the West on another project.”

“Navy wife. Absentee husband. I think I’ve seen that movie.”

“It gets a little old after awhile.”

“I can imagine. So you compensate.”

She laughed and looked at him.

“From time to time. In fact, I have the feeling this is one of those times.”

“You do.” He could feel the heat building.

“Do you think Cynthia would mind.”

“I don’t know for sure, but I don’t think so, do you.”

“No. Have you been seeing her long.”

“Perhaps six months now. It sort of just happened, as they say.”

“In the movies.”

“Yeah,” he said. “Like that.”

“You enjoy it.”

“I’d be a liar if I said I didn’t,” Ned said. “No use denying it. Cynthia and I seem to get along well in the physical sense.”

“I’ll bet you do,” Sally said with a smile.

“Well, gosh,” he said, obviously blushing.

“Does she know your wife.”

“In fact, they’re pretty close friends. They’ve traveled together a couple of times on vacations when I couldn’t get away. Yeah, they’re good friends.”

“That must be interesting. Does your wife suspect.”

“I wouldn’t be able to tell if she did,” he said. “She’s the consummate dissembler. Not in a bad sense; I just can seldom tell what she’s thinking. Total mystery guest.”

“Has she had friends on the side.”

“You know, I really don’t think I’d know,” he said. “There certainly haven’t been any of the normal signs of such a thing. But I probably wouldn’t be able to tell anyway.”

“Why.”

“I’m one of those guys, like my father, who’s oblivious to those kinds of things. My wife will tell me about someone who’s sleeping around or who has a lover and I’m always incredulous, and she’ll say something like ‘you mean you couldn’t tell?’ and I always say no, I couldn’t. Don’t know why that is. My mother said my father’s first wife was practically shacked up with their family lawyer for years and my father didn’t have a clue and was totally surprised when she wanted a divorce.”

“Interesting,” Sally said.

“True. So maybe my wife knows where I am this very minute. I wouldn’t have any way of knowing.”

“You’re a nice man.”

“I don’t know about that, either,” he said, looking at her.

She came close and put her arm up around his neck and pulled him down and kissed him. The kiss got a bit long and he turned and put his glass on the mantle and put arms around her. Then they were kissing in earnest. When they came up for air, she spoke.

“Nice.”

“You, too,” he said. “Where did you learn to kiss like that.”

“Navy training, I guess.”

They stood there and Ned look at her tired blue eyes.

“You look like you’ve been stressed out for awhile.”

“I know it,” she said. “I can’t seem to get enough sleep.”

“I know about that,” he said. “I wonder how I could help.”

“Maybe you could come over some night and tuck me in.”

“I’d be glad to.”

“What shall we do now,” he said.

“I know what I want to do,” she said.

“Me, too. Should we. Now.”

“I guess not,” she said. “Let’s see if anything happens later. And you can always give me a rain check.”

“Twenty rain checks.”

“Only twenty.”

“To start. You might not like me, you know.”

“Yeah, right. I have the feeling I’ll like you very much.”

“Good,” she said.

Just as they spoke, Ned saw Cynthia headed their way. She was looking perky and laughing.

“There you are, you cheating little rascal, you,” she said with a big smile. “I turn my back for two minutes and here you are hitting on my best friend. Don’t you have any manners.”

“Not any I can recall where good-looking women are concerned,” he said, putting his arm around her waist and kissing her ear.

“Oh, you flatterer,” she said. “Isn’t he the worst,” she said to Sally.

“I wouldn’t say the worst. Definitely not the worst,” she said with a smile.

“You look exhausted, honey,” Cynthia said to Sally.

“I know, Ned just told me that, too. I haven’t been sleeping worth a damn.”

“That’s cause you’re horny and sleeping alone.”

“That could be part of it, I guess,”she said.

“What happened to your boyfriend.”

“He’s history,” Sally said, looking at Ned. “I’ve got to find another one, but the ones I like all seem to be taken.”

“You can have Ned on loan if you want,” Cynthia said. “He’s a good fuck if nothing else.”

Ned looked at her and smiled back.

“We were sort of discussing that as well,” he said.

“I knew it, you bad boy,” she said, poking him in the ribs.

“Well, a damsel in distress and all that,” he said.

“Distress my ass. She could have any man at this party if she just crooked her little finger.”

“Oh, Cynthia, I’m really tired of these old Navy horndogs hitting on me all the time,” Sally said. “They’re all really so limited – medicine and the Navy, the Navy and medicine. I get so tired of it.”

“I know what you mean,” Cynthia said. “That’s why I’m so glad Ned and I got together. He’s like a breath of fresh air around here.”

“And more than that, I imagine,” Sally said.

“Well, that, too.“ She paused and put her hand on Ned’s arm. “What do you say we have a little threesome with Sally later on.”

“Really,” he said.

“Oh, Cynthia,” said Sally, blushing.

“Oh, look at you blush! Hey, lady, I haven’t got a jealous bone in my body, as you well know. You’re free to fuck Ned anytime you want. I’d even like to watch. I bet you’re a ferocious fuck.”

Sally reddened.

“I haven’t had much practice lately,” she said.

“Well, honey, there’s a living remedy for that standing right in front of you. Right, Ned?”

“If it would be helpful,” he said with a helpless grin.

“Can you believe this guy,” Cynthia said to Sally. “Have dick, will fuck.”

Sally laughed.

“This conversation is certainly getting a little ribald,” Ned said. “You’re going to make me blush in a minute.”

“Goody,” said Cynthia. “You look so cute when you blush.”

“Do you know what Mark Twain said about blushing,” he asked.

“No, but I know you’ll tell us.”

“He said human beings were the only animals on the planet that blush – or need to.”

“That’s funny,” said Sally.

“And true, I guess,” he said.

They heard noises from the patio.

“Uh-oh, here we go,” said Cynthia.

The three of them moved to the French doors and looked out. Ned had his arm around Cynthia and put his other around Sally, who moved closer to him.

“What’s that,” said Ned.

“It looks like the Captain is about to unleash the sailors.”

Their host could be seen in his Bermuda shorts and polo shirt, his back to them, holding a glass in the air as if about to pour it into someone’s mouth.

“Ready,” they heard him say, and then the contents of the glass drained out. A second later a spray erupted accompanied by laughter and then they saw a young woman coughing with her hand over her mouth as the Captain moved to one side.

“His famous shooters,” Sally said.

“Really,” said Ned.

“They’re not that bad, it’s just that he insists on draining them from a glass into your mouth. You have to keep your tongue alert.”

“Where have I heard that before,” Ned said.

Expectedly, Cynthia again jabbed his ribs, causing him to push more into Sally.

“Ah, life,” Ned said, suddenly feeling good with his arms around two attractive women. He pulled them both close. “Maybe we should take Cynthia up on her suggestion.”

Sally looked at Cynthia with arched eyebrows.

“How about a compromise solution,” Cynthia said.

“What would that be,” said Ned.

“There’s one young fellow here I’ve had my eye on…”

“Oh, my God, Cynthia,” Sally laughed.

“No, now listen… what I have in mind won’t delay us much. Why don’t the two of you go bill and coo in the guest room or something and I’ll knock on the door when I’m ready to leave.”

Ned and Sally looked at each other.

“Well,” he said, “perhaps we’ll do that, or perhaps we’ll just hang out here for awhile. Why don’t you look back here before you come knocking.”

“Fine. Sally, you have your car,” Cynthia said.

“Yes.”

“Do you want to leave it here and I’ll drop you off here on the way to work in the morning.”

“If the Captain wouldn’t mind, that would probably be okay,” she said.

“He doesn’t. I’ve done it before. Just put it to the side of the garage.”

“That’s where it is. Are you blocking anyone.”

“I don’t think so.”

“Such a logistics person,” Ned said.

“Okay, kids, I’m off,” Cynthia said.

“Where are you taking him,” said Sally.

“That’s a secret. I’ll tell you later if it works.”

“Have fun,” said Ned.

“If I don’t, you’re both going to have to pay and pay.”

“Oh, my,” said Ned. “A threat. Do you think we can answer it, Sally.”

“We can certainly try,” she said, squeezing him.

“Bye.” Cynthia was off.

“Who’s the lucky guy.”

“I think it’s a young doc who just transferred in not long ago,” Sally said. “Cynthia’s been eyeing him for a couple of weeks and I think he’s ready.”

Ned laughed.

“So what shall we do,” he asked.

“Why don’t we get another drink and see who else is here – unless you had something more pressing you wanted to attend to.”

He turned to face her and pressed his erection up against her. She could feel it through his khakis and pushed back.

“Actually, now that we’re, what shall we say, sort of set, I’m finding it fine to just hang out here for awhile. If we’re overcome by lust we can always run upstairs.”

“Deal,” she said.

“But just come back over here for a second,” he said, leading her away from the doors and putting his arms around her. “Maybe just a little hello.”

He moved his head down and she rose to meet him and they kissed, tongues exploring a bit and hands moving, After awhile they moved apart.

“Mmmm,” said Ned.

“Whew,” said Sally. “That must be extra-strong vodka.”

“Something like that, I guess,” he smiled at her. “Now straighten your lipstick and I’ll try to get rid of my hard-on and we can go try to act like normal people.”

“I’ll be right back.” She went across the room towards the hallway and bathroom.

Ned went back to the doors looking out on the group of people. He could see Cynthia chatting up a good-looking younger guy with thick dark hair and a good tan. He was smiling at her with what Ned could only interpret as a slightly incredulous look. Ned knew that look.