Vaid Empire: Conquest Ch. 39

Story Info
A City Falls, And Cendra Pleasures Herself.
7.8k words
4.79
1.9k
00

Part 39 of the 59 part series

Updated 02/29/2024
Created 09/21/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Vaid Empire: Conquest is a massive fantasy series that aims to mix erotica with the quality of a published novel. New chapters and artwork are released every month absolutely free, with the completely optional possibility to receive early access. The Series focuses heavily on worldbuilding, story, and characters.

The world of Ayphieal is shattered and chaotic, with kingdoms and tribes of six distinctive races vying for territory amongst themselves. It is only when a young human warrior finally pushes back against the chaos that the world begins to shift towards order.

***

23rd of Fixuin, 11 AVE.

Kingdom of Kinia, Deci.

Deci burned around them.

For three days they had made their push, attacking the city gates each morning until the battle died down before sunset. The abnormal switch from contentedly waiting for the population to starve to aggressively attacking had placed the entirety of Deci's defenses on full alert, yet their end was inevitable.

Each day the legion would protect The God Emperor as he struck, crashing the full might of his power into the solid stone gates before being driven back. Yet the third day brought what he sought, a thunderous roar of splitting stone as the towering gates of Deci imploded, crumbling into screaming rubble.

The Empire marched through, claiming another victim.

28th of Fixuin, 11 AVE.

Kingdom of Kinia, Near Deci.

"I don't like being out here while Alrin approaches." Clin said, keeping his voice down. All ten workers of the small labor group continued behind him, chopping relentlessly at the surrounding trees. With a morning chill continuing to caress the branches around them, he couldn't quite ease his misgivings as he scanned the perimeter.

Salduin remained seated, keeping his eyes closed in a kind of meditation that Clin couldn't fully understand. How, given their precarious circumstances, could the big man remain so damn calm? "We're nearly done here. I'd prefer to finish gathering wood for the gate before Alrin arrives. Besides, The Creator will protect us, be rest assured of that."

"Do you truly believe that?" Clin asked, folding his arms in an attempt to appear at ease for the men. They had brought six guards to accompany them, though they did little to provide comfort so far from the protection of Deci's walls. Though the ideal would be to replace the shattered gates with stone, the wood that they gathered would have to suffice.

Salduin sniffed. "You want an honest answer?"

The blond warrior nodded firmly.

Though he attempted to conceal it, Clin heard a faint sigh as the big man moved to stand up. Towering above him, Salduin leaned on a nearby tree and studied the ground. "Sometimes...no."

Clin glanced at the nearby workers, ensuring their conversation remained unknown. "That's surprising, given you never quit speaking of such things."

With a hint of exasperation Salduin opened his mouth. "Ah, I wouldn't make a single mention of this if I knew you for a moment shorter, though...I cannot say I haven't had one or two doubts." He said, the morning sunlight glinting off his scarred up bald head as he chose his words carefully. "I recall waiting outside The God Emperor's chambers as those years ago, all of us wondering if he'd live. Back when those Arkos assassins attempted to kill him, remember?"

"Oh, I do remember." Clin said with a nod.

"I had wondered for a time...for a long time, why didn't The Creator act to save him? Perhaps not to strike them dead outright, but even a whisper of their intentions into Lord Dominax's ear would have made a difference."

Clin shrugged. "He never claimed that The Creator was all powerful, or even all knowing."

Salduin raised a finger in retort. "Yet that's the problem. All we know about our origins and the afterlife come directly from Lord Dominax. None else have ever set their eyes upon The Creator, heard his voice. Our beliefs stem solely from the trust we place in our ruler, in the claim that he is a God himself. Yet standing outside that door...I wondered if we had been following nothing more than a man lucky enough to be born with abilities we simply didn't understand. A man capable of falling to mere slaves."

A chill far cooler than the surrounding breeze ran through Clin as he looked his companion in the eye. "Are you, the man more devoted to the spiritual teachings than any of us, saying you distrust The God Emperor?"

Instantly he shook his head, though peered ahead through the trees. "I'm simply saying we must remember that we're dealing with a man...that betrayed the first ally he ever earned."

"Korvis..." Clin recalled, thinking back to Omrin. "So soon after Nitri, hard decisions were required to survive in those days. It was...wrong of him, of us...but our people needed a secured future. He gave that to them."

Salduin held out his hands. "I won't argue that. There were alternatives, though I won't argue. Yet if he could deceive and assassinate Korvis to become High-Chief, what would he do to become God Emperor?"

The question lingered in the air before both men eventually looked to the ground.

"You know..." Clin said before he could stop himself, thinking about the young noble girl's kiss on his cheek after Argin. He noticed Salduin glancing at him, expecting him to continue. His doubts were killing him, consuming his insides. To finally let them out, if only a simple hint..."I recall when he used to claim that he was 'no butcher'. We all remember those speeches, and for a brief period that was true. Yet...there was a moment all those years ago, shortly after Chief Manith's execution. A few of the surrounding Chiefs had come to pledge themselves to Dominax, namely Chief Kixanil. Of course, they wanted to see his powers in person before they did." He paused, biting his lip. "He could have demonstrated in any way. Instead, he decided to electrocute two of Kixanil's men. They died. Screaming."

Salduin nodded his head. "A rumor went around regarding that."

Clin's face hardened further. "Two innocent men, guilty of merely being unlucky enough to find themselves in his presence. Manith's execution was brutal of course, we all know that, but...I used to tell myself that it was justified. That he had earned such a horrific end after slaughtering our people. Then two innocents were killed...and I simply stood at his side."

"You always claim that what we do is for the greater good." Salduin replied, taking a gentler tone in juxtaposition to his large frame. "Yes, two guards fell, though how many now live in prosperity under The Empire because those Chiefs were convinced? Even now, here at Deci, we become the conquerors. The killers. Yet how many shall be born and live in prosperity under his rule? When the bloodshed has ended, and all return home?"

"His 'eternal peace'." Clin added, unable to hide his scowl. "The promise that every bad deed we do can be washed away as we bring forth utopia."

"Ah, but isn't that exactly the ideal that you've supported all these years?" Salduin asked.

Clin sighed before nodding. "I still do, just as you continue to support his spiritual ideals. We have doubts, Salduin, nothing more. I...just hope I'm doing what's right, even when it's difficult." He said, subconsciously touching his cheek. "Look, you've been honest with me. May I, for a moment more?"

Salduin turned to face him fully. "Always, Clin."

"I believe Dominax still desires to create a better world, and I'm proud to help that vision come into reality. However, he wants to be greater than previous rulers, to rule wisely, firmly, and fairly. To leave no question as to what is right. To 'be no butcher'. I think...I think that all went right out the window the moment he gained an ounce of real power."

A slight smile of amusement crossed Salduin's face. "Many would consider those words to be treason."

"You'd be right to inform The God Emperor." Clin said, straightening up. "Will you?"

Salduin tilted his head in mock pondering, before relaxing against the tree. "Nope."

After a moment a smile emerged onto Clin's face, and wordlessly the larger man reached over and patted his companion's shoulder.

"Ah, you're a good man, Clin. Don't torture yourself overthinking all this. We do what is necessary, nothing less."

His words seemed to well up something within Clin, forcing him to contain himself before finally speaking. "Take your own advice."

Suddenly Salduin laughed with a slight hint of pain in his voice. "The funny thing is, after all I've said, after all my doubts...I still believe him. He tells us our body and souls are one, linked together in every essence of the word. That we exist in two worlds, the ethereal and the physical. He says that death is merely the severing of the two, that we leave behind our reality and emerge into the spiritual."

"A different kind of 'eternal peace', in a way." Clin added.

"If that's truly the case, that the souls of the dead are still alive, resting in mindless bliss...it must be true. It must." Salduin finished with conviction.

Clin stroked his blond beard. "Hoping to spend eternity in comfort, old friend? No true consciousness, just rest?"

"Not for me."

Noticing the man's shift in tone, Clin eased his expression. "Someone you...love then? I only ever see you on your own. Don't tell me there's someone you've been hiding all these years."

Salduin merely shook his head. "No. Not anymore."

Seeing that the previous humor in the large man had quickly drained away, Clin focused on his statement before realizing his meaning. "Oh...apologies."

They remained silent for a moment, listening to the chopping of wood as it echoed through the trees.

Clin wished to say more, to comfort the man. After pondering his next words, he opened his mouth to speak. "I'm sorry, Salduin. I know how-"

Suddenly Salduin put his hand on Clin's chest, silencing him. In the split-second confusion Clin watched, seeing Salduin peering intently through the trees. He followed the man's gaze, seeing absolutely nothing until...

There. As if his heart stopped, Clin spotted what his companion had noticed. Crouching in the vegetation several yards away, a single man attempted to conceal himself. Though his clothing contained muted colors to assist in stealth, the small purple emblem on his left shoulder removed any confusion as to his allegiance. A scout.

They stared, frozen for mere seconds before the scout turned his head to peer backwards, evidently aware that he had been spotted. Then, without warning, the cries of men rang out through the trees as two dozen warriors burst from the vegetation.

"Ambush!" Was all that one of the guards could shout before being hacked down, his attackers dressed in purple tunics.

Instinctively Clin and Salduin rushed to defend the small group as the remaining nine of their fellow guards fought for their lives. Salduin heaved his hammer from where it lay against a tree trunk, slamming it into his nearest opponent. Purely by number alone they were outmatched, yet as civilians took up half of their group, it took little for him to see which side the battle would favor.

The nearby lixidions howled at the sudden intrusion, their scaly heads lashed to nearby trees. They merely clawed at the ground, vicious mounts ready to join the fight.

Clin parried an incoming blow of an enemy sword, deflecting it harmlessly before cutting upwards. Years of experience over his younger opponent had left the man outmatched, resulting in a cut from chin to scalp that sent him to the floor. Clin whirled on his next opponent, expertly striking with needlessly complex movements.

Salduin remained close by, turning at the sound of screaming. He watched as an attacker pierced his spear through the stomach of a worker, before the large warrior slammed his hammer into his back with a crunch. Their numbers were falling quickly as the civilian workers clumsily attempted to defend themselves with their axes, only to be cut down.

Another swung his sword, yet instead of meeting it with his own, Clin deflected it with the white armor of his forearm before thrusting his blade through the man's momentarily defenseless neck.

Nearly half of the guards had already fallen as the survivors attempted to desperately fend off the enemy. Clin watched as a purple clad warrior raised his weapon, preparing to strike Salduin in the back. Moving quickly, he ducked under the swing of his current opponent, spinning his sword into the side of Salduin's attacker before turning back and severing the other's hand.

The large man shot his companion a glance of gratitude before snapping a spear in two with a swing of his own. Clin deflected a blow from behind, then in front, then to his right, his sword always moving.

A civilian managed to land a lucky strike of his axe into his attacker's shoulder, before being cut down by another. Seeing that only three remained, a second made a break for the lixidions in complete panic, knowing they were entirely overwhelmed. He buried his axe into the reptilian creature's reins, freeing the beast.

Clin watched the lixidion charge forwards before the man could mount it, carving through several purple tunics as it joined the fight.

"Lord Clin! We need to-" a nearby worker cried out before a shield slammed into his chest, sending him gasping to the dirt. Though nearly surrounded, Clin rushed forwards to save the man as his attacker readied his spear, driving his sword through the Kinia warrior's side. The instinct to protect the defenseless man had opened Clin's defenses, however, and an instant later the opportunistic spear of another of his attackers drove into the back of his armorless thigh, stabbing entirely through.

Pain erupted through his leg as he fell to his knees, screaming out. He allowed his sword to fall from his hands, already clutching at his wound.

Salduin's eyes widened as he glanced at Clin's predicament, seeing the blond warrior's attackers moving in quickly to finish him off. He roared, crashing his hammer into the nearest man's chest before rushing forward.

Gasping in pain, the world almost seemed to slow down around Clin as he watched their weapons rise, feeling his blood pouring from the holes in his one-suit's leg. His mind had gone completely blank, before the image of Cendra slipped into his awareness. For a moment he was free, until reality crashed through as Salduin plowed through his attackers and knocked them all to the ground. The large man wrestled on the floor, wrenching a knife from one of them before snapping the man's neck.

One of the guards cried out somewhere behind Clin as he watched Salduin hurry to his feet, hoisting him off his knees. The pain proved to be too much, forcing him to lean the entirety of his weight on the large man.

Salduin whistled, gaining the attention of the lixidion as it continued to tear through the Kinia warriors. He then reached down, wrenching the spear in two before pulling it free from Clin's thigh. "We're done here!"

"The civilians..." Clin muttered through clenched teeth as Salduin shot out his powerful leg into an attacker's chest.

"There are no civilians!" He replied firmly as he practically pulled Clin towards the lixidion. Their mount howled as a spear pierced its scaly side, swinging its tail.

Clin looked around, feeling his mind and muscles growing weaker from blood loss. Salduin heaved him onto the back of the lixidion, before joining him as the beast tore the arm from a screaming warrior. Two guards remained, drenched in blood while they fought to keep the attackers away from their Lords. All ten citizens had fallen, the lumber they collected laying scattered in the dirt.

As the lixidion fought its way from the small battle, Clin raised his hand weakly towards the two guards that remained behind. "Don't...leave them!"

Salduin ignored his words, riding through the trees at a frantic pace. "We need to warn The God Emperor! Alrin is MUCH closer than we suspected!"

The trees passed by quickly, and Clin's mind sank into oblivion as he lost consciousness.

***

The main doors to Deci's central stronghold crashed open, and Dominax stood from the throne as he watched Salduin carry Clin's bloodied body into the room.

"Alrin...is here!" Salduin yelled, panting as he carefully lowered his companion to the ground. He heard Cendra gasp, already rushing from her father's side. She kneeled beside Clin, searching for signs of life. The big man could only grant her an apologetic expression, placing his hands onto Clin's wounds to stop the bleeding. "We were ambushed...my lady..."

"Ready the Legion." Dominax commanded firmly as he turned to Hesin.

The assassin's eye remained fixed on Clin's limp body as he spoke. "Our scouts believe we have another day before-"

"They're here!" Salduin shouted. "We can't waste a second more!"

Dominax placed his hand upon the hilt of his sword as Hesin rushed for the exit. "Cendra, ensure that Clin is properly attended to. The rest of you, come with me."

***

"Hurry!" A commander called out as they heaved the gates closed, barricading them as best they could. Replacing the former stone gates, they appeared half repaired with several holes near the top.

Standing atop the wall, Dominax scowled as he looked out upon the approaching army. He sensed Lalian's terror to his right, while Hesin stood firmly beside him.

The royal army of Kinia approached, marching forth like a sea of purple.

Slowly they came to a stop outside Deci's walls, before two men stepped forwards. Dominax held up his hand as his archers readied their arrows, lined along the wall.

"God Emperor Dominax of House Vaid!" One of the two men yelled up at them, clearly in command. "I, Prince Alrin of House Kalla, bring terms from King Olvir of The Kingdom of Kinia!"

Lalian quickly translated the man's foreign words before Dominax folded his arms. "Then this is the famous Alrin, slayer of King Galis." He smirked, before speaking louder for the two men below to hear. "Did I truly need to take three of your cities before you reveal yourself to me!"

The man beside Alrin spoke quietly, translating his words. The prince's grim face remained unphased, never looking away from Dominax. "You're surrounded, Lord Dominax! You've seen the result of such sieges yourself! Merely surrender now, and we shall avoid many months of hardship for both our men!"

Dominax waved the remark off as Lalian finished. "My men yearn to die for their ruler!"

"So they shall, if that is your wish! King Galis's army has been dashed against the plains outside Sladi, there is no one left to free you!"

Lalian nervously repeated his words as Dominax's jaw tightened.

"King Olvir believes you're nothing more than barbarians!" Alrin continued. "That you're as harmless as the raiders we slay each year! I see the truth! I see an Empire capable of tearing into Kinia like a beast, a beast that I've now caged! You've harmed my people, yet I cannot say I don't respect your men's abilities! Olvir would have Deci be your grave, yet I'd rather you be granted an honorable death!"

"Careful, or you may find yourself accepting the very death you offer!" Dominax replied, feeling his eyes beginning to faintly glow in anger. "A beast shall always prove to be FAR more dangerous when cornered!"