Vaid Empire: Conquest Ch. 45

Story Info
The Empire Marches Upon Privin.
8.8k words
4.79
1.7k
00

Part 45 of the 61 part series

Updated 03/25/2024
Created 09/21/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Vaid Empire: Conquest is a massive fantasy series that aims to mix erotica with the quality of a published novel. New chapters and artwork are released every month absolutely free, with the completely optional possibility to receive early access. The Series focuses heavily on worldbuilding, story, and characters.

The world of Ayphieal is shattered and chaotic, with kingdoms and tribes of six distinctive races vying for territory amongst themselves. It is only when a young human warrior finally pushes back against the chaos that the world begins to shift towards order.

***

49th of Iahta, 11 AVE.

Kingdom of Kinia, Privin.

Alrin had nearly driven his lixidion to death when he reached The Capital, both rider and mount exhausted and starving after days upon days of frantic travel. He burst through the throne room doors, using his remaining strength to heave them open as his eyes fell onto Olvir.

Seated upon the throne, the king hurried to his feet in a rage at the intrusion, causing both Lady Felza and Queen Pelni to turn reflexively to the screeching doors. "I've given no order to allow you entry! Who-" There was no need to finish, for his eyes fell upon the mud-stained insignia of Alrin's chest plate. "Brother...?"

"The God Emperor marches upon Privin; you must flee to safety IMMEDIATELY." Alrin commanded, standing strong even as his legs threatened to buckle. "I've failed you, your majesty."

"What...happened to you?" Felza asked, taking only a step closer before pausing, as if afraid to approach. "Your hair..."

"Such is inconsequential, we NEED to organize your retreat. The royal family must be-"

Olvir cut him off, approaching slowly. "Retreat? What nonsense is this?"

Alrin gritted his teeth, hardly able to retain his composure as his heart hammered in his chest. "Your majesty, the royal army has fallen. I shall gather every man of sword carrying age and mount a defense for the coming siege, yet let me be clear, the city WILL fall."

Pelni looked to her mate in shock, Alia cradled lovingly in her arms. Yet Olvir merely chuckled without humor, planting his finger into Alrin's armored shoulder. "I...grant you command of my army, a privilege far above the station of a mere bastard...and you allow it to crumble under savages?"

Face hardening, Alrin carefully placed his hand upon his sheathed hilt. "God Emperor Dominax ambushed us from behi-"

"Ah! Not only do you fail your king, but you honor the vile savages by dragging the full accursed name of their false leader into MY hall." Olvir interjected, meeting his brother's eyes. "Perhaps I've placed far too much trust in you. Father always spoke of his greatest shame, yet I grant said shame a purpose and position and this is how you reward me?"

Hand tightening on his hilt, Alrin spoke through gritted teeth. "They'll be here before the end of the next moon. I shall order a contingent of trusted men to escort you four from the city through the castle tunnels, though secrecy shall be our greatest course of action. The citizens CANNOT know you've fled, else we allow their morale to falter when we require it most."

"You'll order nothing of the sort! I shall not abandon our ancestral seat to barbarians!" Olvir spat with fury. "We'll defend our walls as we always have! Slaughter raiders as we always have!"

"They are NOT mere-" Alrin began, only to restart as he held up his damaged hand. "Look at me. They butchered my men. MY men. The royal army is gone, and our gates, just as with Deci, won't stand against this God Emperor for long. We NEED to get you to safety, and NOW."

Olvir peered at his brother's scars, face twisting with anger. "Our gates have held for five hundred years! Foolish brother, is a single defeat all you can stomach before you lose your nerve?"

"They've taken city after city." Alrin nearly exclaimed with narrowed eyes. "I seem to recall my requests to strike sooner, to stomp out this invasion before it could take hold, yet you insisted elsewise. A single defeat? No, yet even then each was avoidable."

"Ah, then you place the blame for your failures upon my shoulders? That I stood against the military genius of the mighty Prince Alrin? If so, tell me how you've managed to lose MY lands." The king replied, continuing when he received only silence. "Prince Alrin...and to think, I had promised Felza to legitimize you upon your victory. Even she, daughter of a simple bastard, has been allowed to carry the title of 'Lady' within my court. It seems I shall be forced to find another to crush these approaching heathens."

Alrin peered to Felza, nearly tempted to grab both her and Alia and abandon the city. The words of the fallen King Galis seeped through his memory, as if sparking a flame beneath him. "When the time comes, simply drop your sword and let us in."

No longer able to hold his tongue, Alrin glared sternly. "There is no one else to defend you! No army, no commanders! Only what remains of the city guard! Such was your command to combine our forces into one, despite my advice against such a folly. Now we find our enemy marching upon our gates with little more than farmers to stand before them."

"Careful of your tone, brother!"

This time Queen Pelni broke in, stepping forwards to place her free hand upon Olvir's chest. "My love, perhaps it would be best if we gathered our belongings, simply in preparation for the most dire possibility."

Olvir removed her hand, forcing his fiery-haired mate to retreat a step. "Oh? Like a vagabond, I should pick up my precious possessions and flee? NO. A king doesn't hide. House Kalla has graced these halls since their construction and will continue to do so indefinitely. I won't abandon them to filth!"

"You MUST." Alrin replied firmly. "Take Pelni, take Felza and Alia, and seek sanctuary within the court of Harin. I shall do what I can to mount a defense, yet you must not be anywhere near the city when they arrive."

"I must?" Olvir questioned, shoving Alrin's hard chest plate. "You give no commands to a king. I will remain here, upon my throne, as every one of my predecessors have! The people will see the resilience of House Kalla and flock to our defense! It surprises me little to see that a bastard cannot understand the need for a House to appear strong when faced with catastrophe."

Again, the words of King Galis seeped into his ears, as if a whisper from a ghost. "Drop your sword and let us in." How easy it would be to comply, to lay down his arms and abandon the ungrateful brother standing before him. To turn his back upon The House that considered him little more than a shameful reminder of their father's infidelity. Instead, his hand left the hilt of his sword, his stern face bearing teeth as he swiftly brought the back of his hand across the king's jaw.

Olvir stumbled back, steadying himself as his hand reached for his mouth, his skin already reddening sharply. "You...you've struck me..."

As he heard the nearby guards rushing to unsheathe their swords, he turned to eye each of them in turn, more than acquainted with all four. Men hand selected by himself to defend their king, they remained frozen, uncertainty lingering in their eyes.

"You struck me..." Olvir continued to mutter, unbelieving. "He struck me..."

Alrin reached out to grip his brother's tunic, pulling him close. "Listen, foolish brother, listen to my words for the very first time. There is no preventing this. You MUST flee. Snap from whatever madness has claimed you and do your damn duty to remain alive!"

Queen Pelni stepped forwards, her voice low as she cradled Alia. "To strike the king...is death. You know this, Alrin."

He merely eyed the guards once more, awaiting their response. Finally, keenly aware of which of the two men had protected Kinia the entirety of their lives, they began to sheath their weapons.

"The savages...are coming..." Olvir finally mumbled, eyes wide as if broken from delusion. "Privin will fall..."

Alrin eased his grip. "You cannot waste a moment more. Gather whatever possessions you require, though keep them to a minimum. You must move swiftly, Olvir."

"They...cannot harm a king..." his brother replied, eyes dimming as if deep in thought. "Such has always been our way, to treat kings with dignity even in defeat. They wouldn't dare lay a finger on me..."

"OUR way, brother. Not theirs. Expect no such courtesies from them." Alrin's firm voice command as he released his brother's tunic.

Olvir stumbled back, moving clumsily as if in a dream. "I...must prepare the men of the guard to defend the castle..."

"Father..." Felza said, stepping closer. Alrin turned to her, closing the distance.

"My girl, you must flee as well. The tunnels shall only take you so far, then you must run until no hint of Kinia can be seen."

"My place is here, at Olvir's side." Felza replied, eyeing the king as he stumbled onto his throne. "If he remains...so must I."

Momentarily unable to find his words, Alrin reached out to grab the sides of her head, cupping her gently as he gazed into her eyes. "Foolish girl...you know nothing of the horrors they will inflict upon you. Please, for the sake of your daughter, take Alia and flee. King Siril of Harin will be able to protect you, yet you must reach his court. You must, my child."

Slowly she pulled away, taking several steps backwards until she came to a stop at Olvir's side. "Father...I'm sorry. I've stated my desire, and so it shall be done. I shall flee only when Olvir does."

Face hardening, Alrin was unable to quench a sickening sensation in the pit of his stomach, witnessing his own expression of unwavering conviction upon the face of his daughter. She'd serve her duty, just as he would, yet he knew they may both be proven fools.

Finally he turned to the queen. "I have never failed to find an ally in you against my brother's foolishness. Your majesty, please, ensure they leave before Dominax arrives."

The fiery-haired royal nodded firmly, holding Alia closer to the girl's grandfather. "None shall harm her whilst she remains in my care, THAT I can promise you."

Slowly, as if reluctantly, Alrin reached down to touch the infant's arm. He felt her lightly squeeze his finger, forcing him to grit his teeth when he finally pulled away. "I cannot drag you from this chamber, yet I pray that whatever ounce of sanity remains within you all allows you to leave the city before it falls. I...must rally the men, for we have little time."

He began to walk towards the entrance, pausing only a moment to turn his head back to gaze upon his daughter. She stood proudly beside Olvir, the king's voice already making commands of his guards. Then, pushing himself to walk, he passed through the towering doors.

26th of Onis, 12 AVE.

Kingdom of Kinia, Privin.

"They've nearly throu-" the man to Alrin's side called out, shortly before an arrow found his neck. Cursing, the prince remained behind a crenellation, directly above the gate.

The Empire had come.

For the better part of a day, they made their assault upon the city, focusing solely on 'Kalla's Way', the citizens' unofficial name for one of the four gates of Privin.

A sea of white cloaks stretched beyond the walls, lined in neat rows. Archers emptied their quivers upon any men atop the battlements, providing cover for legionaries fighting to ascend ladders. Their struggles were all but a farce, it was clear to Alrin, a distraction from the main threat that pounded away at their gates. From the very beginning of the battle their God Emperor had made his way directly to the gate itself, protected beneath a crude structure of wood and metal shield lashed together and hoisted above his head by ten legionaries, almost appearing as if an overturned war boat. Untouchable beneath his cover, he unleashed blast after blast of fire and electricity, pounding against the gates.

Hour after hour the mighty reinforced stone gates groaned, the towering doors shuttering and cracking as balls of flame and webs of lightning crashed into their surfaces. Though they had held back raiders and northern armies for half a millennium, they wouldn't withstand The God Emperor's wrath for long.

Alrin heard the shouts of men around him, the swishing of arrows before they slammed into the wooden structure below. Rocks were brought up upon the wall, hurled down in an attempt to crush Dominax and cease his volatile powers, only to bounce off with a crunch of wood. Men farther down the wall on either side of Alrin cried out, fighting to keep the enemy from spilling over from their ladders. The height of the walls had allowed the mere city guard and armed citizens to defend their home admirably, though it couldn't last.

Risking a swift peak between the crenellations to assess the progressing damage, Alrin gritted his teeth. "It's time! Take command!" He ordered the man to his right, finally backing away from the battlements to descend the nearest stairs into the city's main square. Men scurried to join him, gathering into formations upon his orders. Guards wearing the purple of the kingdom, farmers dressed in mere rags, even bankers, artisans, and blacksmiths, all lined up before the steadily shattering gates. The lesser of the men had long since fled, leaving a limited albeit brave makeshift army that their prince was proud to lead.

Alrin took his place at the head, unsheathing his sword and raising it high. Fingers freshly bandaged, his armor remaining stained with mud, his stern expression sat firm as he heard a bellowing cry erupt from behind, men prepared to fall for their home. He had no words of encouragement, no speech to promise victory. They were dead men, each knew, yet none would allow their ancestral lands to fall so easily.

The stone began to fracture, shards falling away as the gates bordered on collapse. For a final time the words of Galis crept into his memory, a final moment to turn and flee. "When the time comes, simply drop your sword and let us in."

He could seek out Felza and Alia, carrying them far from the lands he had always protected. If not, he could drag Olvir to the city gates, demand he surrender the city, and pray for The God Emperor's mercy.

Instead, his grip tightened upon his hilt, never looking away from the crumbling gates. Through blood and steel, House Kalla had forged Kinia into one, a united Kingdom from the remains of dozens of petty tribes. For five hundred years their realm had stood firm, against even the encroachment of Harin and Spirexia.

A thunderous boom echoed as massive cracks ripped across the surface of the gates, moments away from bursting.

His brother's incompetence had brought that all to an end, yet his ancestors watched from their crypts.

A final blast of lightning pounded into the gates, sending the towering stone crumbling into heavy heaps as dust erupted through the air. Hardly had it settled before the legion rushed forwards, a sea of white pouring through the ruined entrance.

Alrin charged forwards, leading his men to meet them. Five hundred years of history would not end with the whimper of a pleading king, but with the roar of a prince.

***

"A pity." Dominax said as his cloak fluttered behind him, surveying the aftermath as bodies lay strewn about. Though history would remember a battle, all he saw was a slaughter. "What could a ruler accomplish with citizens half as fierce?"

"Ask him." Salduin replied, heaving his hammer to point towards the looming castle. "Lord Hesin and I shall make a sweep through the rest of the city, though I don't expect we'll meet much more resistance. Whatever stand they planned to make, they made it here."

Dominax nodded, stepping over the gruesome remains of a young man hardly Cendra's age. Yet before he began to lead his men towards the castle, a pained shout rang above the faint groans of dying men.

Turning towards the source, Dominax watched with curiosity as a man struggled to rise from the ground, drenched in blood and forced to lean on his sword for support. He began limping towards The God Emperor, shouting in his harsh yet firm voice.

Dominax stopped a man to his right that stepped forward, intent on finishing the stranger off. Instead, Dominax called for Lalian, his green advisor having been allowed close to the gates only when the battle was entirely concluded.

"Translate, my friend." He commanded, watching each of the stranger's pained steps.

"He...claims to be Prince Alrin, your majesty." Lalian explained hesitantly, nearly appearing to cower behind his ruler.

"Alrin?" He replied with utter surprise. Slowly, he immersed his senses beneath the fabric of reality, sensing the familial bonds of the stranger. He could see them linked to a brother, a daughter, a grandchild, yet they held the sensation of the prince he had faced atop Deci's walls. The man was telling the truth.

"He asks...no, he demands death." Lalian continued to translate as the bloody man shouted. "A warrior's death. Nothing less."

"He can hardly stand." Dominax said, eyeing each of Alrin's strained limps. Armor dented and drenched, his clothing shredded, there was no telling just how many wounds lay unseen. Merely a walking corpse, he came to a stop several yards away, using his remaining strength to raise his sword and point it towards his intended opponent.

"That's his request, your holiness. The choice is yours to make."

For a moment he studied the stern man, eying his teeth gritted with pain. Then, unsheathing The Sword of Order, Dominax stepped forwards. "Translate my words, Lalian."

Alrin watched him approach, hardly able to remain standing. He heard the foreign words of his opponent, repeated through the mouth of the Lanthian.

"Few men have managed to defeat me. Fewer fight with your conviction. You ask for a warrior's death, slayer of Galis? So be it, yet expect no mercy from me."

Without delay, the duel began.

Alrin forced every last ounce of strength to drive his sword, keenly aware that victory wouldn't grace him this time. Such wasn't his aim in any case. He would fight with all he had, the last breaths of a dying man, and force his ancestors to nod with respect.

His damaged body could do little more than struggle to block Dominax's blows, every muscle weakening from blood loss. A fit and unwounded man could hardly be expected to keep pace with The God Emperor's unnatural speed, yet for Alrin, the matter was settled within seconds.

Dominax knocked away the prince's blade before driving his sword through his chest. With strength granted through his otherworldly powers, he pierced Alrin's royal armor, steel screeching against steel as he emerged through the other side.

A cough of blood fell from Alrin's lips before the blade was swiftly pulled free. Slowly, he collapsed to his knees, then fell back against the dirty paving stones of Privin's square.

Dominax looked down, nearly feeling a twinge of regret, for such a man would surely have been a powerful ally. Instead he had stood against the inevitable and joined his people in the dirt. He then turned his sights towards the castle, feeling a scowl creep onto his features.

A twitch seized Alrin's hand as he began to choke on his blood, and remnants of his first encounter with Dominax flowed through his memory.

"You shall feel the dirt beneath your Capital and realize it belongs to my domain!"