Varna Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

If Merik moved against us, should we run? Or fight? There was also the much nearer threat of Nathal and Tir Albo, who had based themselves on the river, halfway between Elmina and Whydah. They were gathering support - and much more quickly than we were. Positioned as they were, though - between Merik and Aludar - I wondered if Nathal would dare a major move against us, with the risk of another brother falling on his rear.

Sanatha and I discussed our situation. We wrote and sent a letter to Aludar, to tell him that his daughter Sirma was safe, but it was merely a first step. We might cooperate with him, but we weren't prepared to join his forces in Whydah. Would the elves even follow us if we went there?

Hurmas, Sezima, and Azren sent out riders every day, to act as scouts for us, and to give us a warning if one of my brothers tried to attack us.

Sezima was out with a small group when they saw a large group of riders. From the way they were acting, he immediately suspected that they were not friends on their way to join us. Sezima sent a pair of riders back, at the gallop, to warn us.

Then he did a very brave thing - or a very foolish thing. He let the unknown riders see him (and the seven other scouts he commanded) - and then lured them into chasing him.

- "You madman!" I said to him, afterwards. "What if your horse had stumbled? You could have been captured, or killed."

- "I wasn't." he said. "There's no point worrying about it now. And I had to give you time to prepare, didn't I?"

We did have time; Sezima's messengers arrived at Souglad, and were able to inform us that he would lead the intruders to the south of Gerdar Tanle's estate, to an area where the charcoal burners worked.

I left Yazgash and the humans on foot, under Gerdar Tanle, to defend Souglad, while I went with the elves under Enneiros and Alissara. Azren and Hurmas organized the remainder of our mounted men, with orders to remain out of sight until I signalled them.

Most of the elves moved so swiftly that they left me far behind. Enneiros delegated five of his archers to stay with me, and make sure that I arrived safely.

I was completely out of breath when I reached the edge of the forest opposite the charcoal burners' huts. I thought - just for a moment - of summoning the aether to help myself, before rejecting that idea completely. At this point, I was too frightened to dabble in other schools of magic, even if I had done it before.

I arrived just in time to hear the pounding of horses' hooves. Sezima and his little band swept by, at top speed. Several of them glanced into the woods, relieved to see the elves with their bows. I could only hope that their pursuers hadn't seen them turning their heads.

There was no need, really, for me to be there. No sooner did I feel the slight tremors in the ground beneath my feet, than Alissara gave the order: over a hundred elves fired into the mob of horsemen pursuing Sezima.

It's no easy feat, to bring down a man on a galloping horse. There were probably a hundred riders, give or take a few, but they weren't clustered together, or in regular ranks. It was certainly a shot that I couldn't have made.

Alissara knew her business, though: most of the elves had time to fire a second volley before the enemy riders had passed our position.

Men crashed to the ground, and a horse or two stumbled - though the elves tried to avoid hitting the mounts; they simply weren't ruthless enough to shoot at the horses in order to bring down the riders.

In hindsight, I should have stayed with the mounted men. It served no useful purpose for me to be with the elves. Had I been with Azren and Hurmas at that moment, it's possible that fewer of our foes would have escaped.

But Azren had taken my instructions literally: he and our horsemen were out of sight - not only where the enemy could not see them, but where Azren could not see us.

He didn't see my signal. He didn't move at all until Sezima and his scouts had ridden right up to him, shouting at the tops of their lungs. By the time Azren gave the order to advance, our opponents were in full retreat - in the opposite direction.

- "I tried to get him to move." said Hurmas, later. "I told him that we couldn't see your signal from where we were. He just kept repeating that we had to stay out of sight."

- "It's not your fault." I told him. Hurmas was only the son of a Gerdar, and a much younger man. The mistake was mine, in putting Azren in charge in the first place. But had I given the command to Hurmas, Azren might well have been offended.

I'd learned a valuable lesson. From now on, I would give Azren much more specific orders, and when possible, keep him out of a situation where he might be called upon to use his judgment. I could also experiment with a horn, or some other sound, rather than relying on visual signals.

Fortunately, my error had not cost us any lives. It was more of a missed opportunity. We might have dealt the enemy a serious blow, rather than a mere bloody nose.

Nine dead, 2 injured and captured, and five horses recovered. They were Nathal's men, followers of Tir Albo and Tir Pyera, for the most part. Their foray into Tanle territory was only a probe, or a raid - not the beginning of a major attack.

- "A notable victory!" said Gerdar Azren.

I spoke to Gerdar Tanle afterwards. I told her everything I'd done, and how I felt about failing to take full advantage of the situation.

- "I should have put you in command of the mounted men." I said. Of course, that would have left Azren in charge at Souglad. Had there been a crisis, would he have listened to Yazgash?

- "What did you say to Azren?" she asked.

- "Nothing." I said. "It was my mistake. I'll be more careful about what I ask him to do, in future."

My wife's mother smiled. "You're a very intelligent young man." she said. "Live and learn. If it helps, you can put him under my command, next time."

The hero of the hour was undoubtedly Sezima, who was not the least bit shy about telling us all just how courageous he and his scouts had been, and how every decision he'd taken this day was a sign of genius, or of audacious courage. We laughed at his antics - just as he intended us to - and we celebrated our bloodless victory.

Sezima was not the only person who was thinking of others, that night. Saska sat beside me, and put her arm around my shoulder. She leaned over to whisper into my ear.

- "I think that you should go with Glasha, tonight." she said, softly.

I turned to look at my lovely wife. She didn't seem drunk at all.

- "Are you sure?" I asked.

- "Very." she said. "Glasha and I have talked - at length - about how this will work. She's been extremely generous. Now it's my turn."

- "Are you sure, Saska?"

- "We've talked about it, Tauma. You've made me very happy, since our wedding. Should I not be trying to make you happy? And if I can make Glasha happy at the same time ... why wouldn't I?"

- "This is ..."

- "Very strange, and perhaps more complicated than we think it is." said Saska. "But there's no way to find out until we try, is there?"

- "You're a very remarkable woman, Saska Tanle."

***

Aludar's response to our letter arrived. Sanatha and I read it together.

Dearest Brother, Dearest Sister,

I am glad that you are safe and well. You could, of course, be even safer here, in Whydah, surrounded by our kin and our loyal supporters.

In fact, it is imperative that you bring what followers you have raised, and come to join me. There are rumours that Merik and Nathal are planning to combine against me, in which case you can see that I need you here as soon as possible.

We've heard of your exploits the night you left Elmina; all of Whydah has enjoyed the tale immensely - especially your foresight in absconding with the contents of the treasury. I need not tell you that those monies could be put to good use here, to defend the city.

Thank you for telling me about Sirma. I am relieved that she was not left in Elmina. But it would not be politic to bring her to Whydah at the moment. Is there somewhere that she could be safely housed and looked after? Perhaps on Gerdar Tanle's lands?

Please write again to tell me when you will be coming. I need your support - both of you - and will count the days until your arrival.

Your brother,

Aludar

- "That's not what I was hoping for." said Sanatha.

- "Yes. He continues to find new ways to disappoint me." Not for the first time, I wondered what had happened to my brother.

Only a few days later, though, we received a second letter from Whydah. This one, though, was from Urbo, the ship captain who had carried us to Portoa, and to Galtin's Port.

Dear Lord and Lady,

I trust that this letter will find you in good health. I wanted to thank you both for the entertainment you've provided us with, in the form of the story of your escape from Elmina. It has been told and re-told all over Whydah - and even turned into several songs. Don't be surprised if it is soon made into a play.

In return, I thought that I could pass on reliable information about the situation here, in Varna's second city.

The Esins have called in their allies. Gerdar Corig, of course. But they've also been joined by some of the old Duke's more ... conservative friends. The Esins are also trying to create a coalition of the ship captains. A merchant named Yavantay has rallied quite a few ships and crews to support Aludar.

At this point, it's safe to say that he has between six and seven hundred men. But there are also several ships that have sailed for Galtin's Port. I have it on good authority that they have gone to recruit mercenaries, with money provided by the Esins.

I had no idea that the Esins were so wealthy. They seem to have invested virtually all of their hard-earned silver into your brother's cause.

Please let me know if I can be of service to either or both of you again. I look back on those days of your travels with many good memories.

Your Most Humble and Obedient Servant,

Urbo (aboard the First Light)

- "Hard-earned silver?" said Sanatha, with a smirk. We both knew how Captain Urbo felt about aristocratic landlords.

- "Mercenaries, though?" I said. Pirates. Plunderers for hire. How loyal would they be to Aludar, if the Esins were footing the bill? And how reliable would they be, if the money should ever dry up? No wonder Aludar wanted us to bring him the contents of Father's treasury.

I'd had several opportunities to think about Father - and to discuss him with Sanatha.

I could see that he was disappointed in his sons (though I still didn't understand why he'd hated me so much). Why hadn't he followed his own father's example? Choose the best of your sons - or the least worst, if it came to that - and make him your successor.

I could even have forgiven him if he'd imprisoned or killed all but one of us. That would have been better than what we were now facing: a civil war, between multiple factions. And now mercenaries. Varna would suffer - and it was my Father's fault.

***

Over the next few weeks, the fey contributed in their own way: they had excellent sources of information. It was as if they had ears all over Varna. Thanks to them, we were able to get a reasonably good understanding of what was happening.             

News continued to filter in, from a variety of other sources as well. Aludar was still in Whydah, no doubt waiting upon his mercenaries. Nathal occupied the river, while Merik was consolidating Elmina.

Armies all over Varna, yet no one dared move, for fear that two of more of their brothers would combine against them.

As it stood now, we probably had the smallest force. I couldn't see any way forward that didn't include Sanatha and me swallowing our reservations, and making common cause with Aludar.

But then a visitor came to Souglad - and he changed everything.

- "There is a man here who claims to have met you." said Gerdar Tanle. "He says that you will know of him: Dergun of Calep."

I ran down the stairs, and out the door. It was Dergun.[1] He was dusty, travel-stained, and plainly exhausted. But I was absurdly happy to see him.

Dergun was Gerdar of Calep, in the east, and one of the most wonderful people I'd met on my Grand Tour of Varna.

His forehead was too large, his moustache needed trimming, his scraggly beard couldn't quite hide his weak chin ... but Dergun's extreme homeliness didn't bother me at all. He was generous, easy to talk to, and one of the first genuinely open-minded people that I'd met.

I embraced him without hesitation.

Dergun patted my back. "It's good to see you, my Lord." he said.

I held onto him, but only at arm's length, so that I could see him. "What on earth are you doing here?" I asked. "I mean - I'm thrilled to see you. But how did you get through?"

- "We have a great deal to talk about." he said.

- "You need to rest, first. And eat. And wash."

- "Actually, I could use a drink, before any of those." He looked down, and sniffed at himself. "Though I will need those other things, too."

I sent for Hurmas, Sezima, and Durgat, because they knew Dergun as well as I did. That led to a series of hugs, back slaps, and laughter.

- "How did you even get here?" asked Hurmas. "Have you come to join us, man?"

Dergun turned his head, and looked me in the eye.

- "You need to come to the east." he said.

***

Sanatha and Glasha had both heard of Dergun.

- "They wouldn't shut up about you." said my sister. "A year later, we were in Galtin's Port, but they were still telling stories about Calep."

- "Tauma mentioned you in his letters - over and over." said Glasha. "I'm so glad to finally meet you."

- "As am I." said Saska.

- "I thank you all, ladies." said Dergun. "But you may not like me so much when I tell you what I came to say."

He told us.

I called a conference of Captains to share all of the information that Dergun had brought. Gerdar Tanle was there, of course, with my wife and my lover. Sanatha. Hurmas and Sezima. Yazgash, Durgat and Enneiros. Alissara, and Gerdar Azren. I invited Naevys and Rhigen, but they chose to observe from a distance.

- "You know more about the situation in Whydah, with Aludar." said Dergun. "All I know is that he has 700 men, or more, and that he's awaiting the arrival of mercenaries from Galtin's Port. But I came across the river - which Nathal controls. Tir Albo is there, along with Tir Pyera. Three Gerdars have joined him as well: Aspar, Khegen, and Khuter."

- "How many men does he have?" asked Gerdar Tanle.

- "That's the troubling thing." said Dergun. "The army he's gathered is far larger than you would expect. The river boatmen have flocked to join him. Everyone says that he has money. Plenty of money. There are 600 men in his camp - at least."

- "Do you know anything about the south?" asked Hurmas. This was a set-up question: Dergun had already told us. But the rest of our captains needed to hear it.

- "You know about Tir Peneda. But Tir Alit has joined Merik. Gerdars Kilfa and Orchir, as well. He has all of the Duke's cannon, and he's sent a force to the south. From what I've heard, he has six or seven hundred men as well."

Dergun had told us one more thing about what was going on in Elmina. It was not a military matter, so we didn't ask him to share it with our captains. Tir Storum, it seemed, had already claimed his first reward, as Merik's brother-in-law, and murderer of our father: he'd taken father's mistress, Renna, as his own.

Poor Renna. She'd been forced by my father to sleep with my older brothers, as part of another of his bizarre tests. Now she had a new Lord, or a new master. I hadn't spared a thought for her, when we escaped from Elmina.

- "Do you know anything of my brother, Toran?" Sanatha asked Dergun. He most certainly did - that was one of the reasons he'd come.

- "The Mokshas have called in their allies. And the Bekshas have joined them. Between them, they've collected some 350 men. But I fear that your brother is not the driving force in their cause. Tir Moksha and Tir Beksha seem to be in charge. In fact, we've been hearing a great deal about the Beksha claim to the crown ... of the Kingdom of Varna."

The Bekshas had said things like this before. But now, with a civil war dividing the House of Cunedda ... could they gather enough support for a restoration?

- "Yet you suggest that my brother should go east." said Sanatha.

- "Yes, Lady. The Mokshas and the Bekshas are powerful, but they are resented. Their arrogance is a byword, in the east. We fear their intentions. It would be easy to form a coalition of all those opposed to them."

- "Who, exactly?"

- "Tir Caenog. Gerdar Ostro. And Calep, of course. But there have also been murmurings among the orcs. Tir Beksha has been talking about restoring 'ancient ways' in Varna. The orcs know what that means. Hanurak LongArm has been careful not to put a foot wrong ... but there are other voices."

I didn't speak. For one thing, Dergun had already told me all of this. But more important, I think, is the fact that a leader should listen to his friends and supporters. I wanted to know how they felt about this.

- "I don't know if the elves will go east." said Enneiros. That was a diplomatic way of saying that they wouldn't.

- "Probably not." said Alissara. "But that doesn't mean that Tauma shouldn't go. He can always come back here."

- "How many men are we talking about?" asked Gerdar Azren.

- "At least 100." said Dergun. "Perhaps twice that. But there are even greater possibilities."

- "Possibilities? That sounds very vague." said Gerdar Tanle. "But I am in favour. 150 men could increase our strength by 50%. And new adherents would solidify our cause."

- "Possibilities." said Yazgash. "Do these ... possibilities include the Red Knee orcs?"

- "Yes." said Dergun. "We are negotiating with Hanurak LongArm. There is a chance that we could recruit many more half-orc fighters."

- "Hmm ..."

- "What about the Varyan?" asked Saska. "Isn't Tauma supposed to defend the west?"

To my surprise, it was Glasha who answered her.

- "Varna is a place, my love." If the members of my council were surprised to hear my lover address my wife as 'my love', they had the grace not to show it.

"The Duchy is Varna, and Varna is anywhere people of whatever race ask for the Varyan's protection. It seems to me that Dergun is suggesting exactly that."

- "I grant your point." said Saska, with a hint of a smile. They'd cooked this up between them.

Most of the eyes in the room turned to me. Some of them were trying to push, just as Naevys and Rhigen had; some were merely curious to know where I stood.

- "I am not the Varyan." I said. "But I should probably not leave the west at this point. There is the opinion of the elves to consider - and of the fey, of course. It also strikes me as dangerous to attempt to sneak by my brother Nathal, who controls the river."

- "Then I will do it." said my sister, Sanatha.

She caught me by surprise, the first time she said it - yesterday. I hadn't expected it, and had no answer ready. Dergun was equally shocked, but he had the good sense to remain silent as our family drama unfolded.

- "San ..." I began.

- "Tauma." she answered. "I'm either a subordinate, who follows your orders without question, or I'm an ally, like ... like all of the others, with a voice. Or ... I'm your partner, as you promised. Were you serious?"

She had me. I trusted her ability, and her intelligence, even while I was worried about her safety. But I'd offered her a partnership. Sanatha was not my servant; she was my sister. She had every right to share the risks, if I was prepared to share the decision-making.