Varna Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sirma turned to face the hall, standing between her aunt and uncle.

- "This is our niece, Sirma Cunedda." I said. "She is the daughter of our brother Aludar and his first wife, Visca Mainyul of Portoa."

- "She is our heir." said Sanatha.

There was a bit of stir at that announcement. With that little bit of theatre completed, Glasha led Sirma back to their seats.

Sanatha took over the next part of our program.

- "My brother and I have no wish to begin our rule with harsh punishments. There have been several of those already - and there are a few more to come. But there will be no penalty imposed on those who supported our brothers, and fought against us. That error can be forgiven. We understand the ties of loyalty and family."

Sanatha sat down again. "Now we will welcome former opponents back into our peace. Tir Alit!"

Alit had supported Merik. He'd escaped from the battle at Borovo, and then surrendered the capital to us without a fight. There was no dishonour in his conduct during the war. He came forward, accompanied by his young son. Both of them went down on one knee at the edge of the dais. Alit and his son took the oath of fealty without hesitation, speaking loud and clear.

- "Tir Peneda!"

Peneda of the Hundred Horse would likely never ride again. Sanatha and I had gone to see him, the day before, to accept his oath of fealty. He took it without reservation; in return, we didn't bring up the subject of our father's murder - which Peneda had most likely known about.

But a public performance was necessary, so Peneda's three sons came forward to take an oath of their own. They were clearly prepared to follow their father's lead, even if the youngest of them made a bit of a face as he finished repeating the words.

There had been 9 Tirs in Varna when my father died; only one - Caenog - had supported us. Five were dead, one (Peneda) was crippled, and another (Beksha) had fled.

Sanatha proceeded to the Gerdars who had fought against us. She called on Kilfa and Orchir, who had supported Merik. Then she summoned Khuter, the shifty survivor who had supported Nathal at first, and then Merik, and somehow survived all three major battles of the war. Gerdar Aspar was called last. He was a supporter and close friend of Nathal's, but an honourable man; Glasha was almost certain that he hadn't known on the attempt on my life which my brother had orchestrated.

In similar fashion, we called the heirs of noblemen who had died fighting us.

- "Candak Moksha!" said Sanatha.

My brother Toran had married Adjan Moksha, but it was her brother, the Tir, who had been the puppet-master behind my brother's faction. He'd been killed outside Whydah, as had Adjan. It didn't seem fair to punish the entire clan. Moksha's cousin came forward to take the oath, and to be recognized by us as the new Tir.

- "Pursho Pyera!"

This case was more difficult, because I'd ordered Tir Pyera's execution after Whydah. He'd been looting, but he was also responsible for the murder of Gerdar Corig after the first battle there. He'd then had my mother and cousin strangled. His family had no reason to love me - but they could at least respect Sanatha, who was restoring their lands and their title. Pyera's brother took the oath without any awkwardness.

The heirs of Gerdars Kegen and Candre were likewise called. The former had died fighting for Nathal; the latter, a supporter of Toran, was captured while looting in Whydah. He'd been hanged beside Pyera.

Finally, we called upon the cousin of Sezima, who was to succeed him as Gerdar. He was a nice enough fellow, but lacked the wit and the vitality of my good friend Sezima.

The moment he had finished his oath, I stood up, and Sanatha sat down.

- "I intend, my Lords and Ladies, to erect a monument outside the village of Granje, to commemorate the courage of my friend Sezima. This is not meant to disparage anyone who fought on the losing side, but only to honour my fallen friend. Without him, Sanatha and I might not be standing here today."

I bowed my head. Everyone in the hall had little choice but to join me in a moment of silence. Perhaps they used the opportunity to remember those of their kin who had died in our utterly needless war.

"There are - as I'm sure that many of you are aware - several other Tirs and Gerdars who are not here today. We intend to deal with these, one at a time. First - Tir Beksha. I do not condemn him for supporting my brother Toran, or for fighting at the first battle of Whydah. But Tir Beksha has resurrected his family's old claim to the Kingdom of Varna, and publicly proclaimed it. He did not stay to contest that claim, but fled to Galtin's Port, where he is busy recruiting mercenaries."

- "Traitor!" shouted someone in the hall. I believe that it was a kinsman of the new Gerdar Sezima, loudly declaring his loyalty to the new regime.

- "The claim is illegitimate." I said. "We all know that. But if Tir Beksha chooses to repudiate his allegiance to the Duchy of Varna, then we will revoke his title - and his lands. I declare Tir Beksha forfeit."

That drew a gasp from our audience. I doubted that anyone in living memory could remember the last time a Duke had confiscated the lands of a Varnan noble. Little did they know, but Sanatha and I already decided what to do with those lands.

A small piece would go to Gerdar Ostro, as a reward for supporting us. The remainder would be split between Caenog and Gerdar Dergun in Calep. Caenog would now be able to rival the Mokshas in the east, while Dergun ... well, more on that later.

- "I also declare Tir Storum forfeit." I said.

There was another collective gasp in the hall.

And then, true to her nature, Shurkka Storum leapt to her feet.

- "You fucking asshole!" she shrieked. "I hope you die! You and everyone in your family!"

Shurkka was barely 5'2", and lovely as the fresh snow on a winter morning. But she was also as vile as a pool of vomit.

"Fuck you!" she continued to scream. "I hope someone stabs you through the heart, and rapes your sister, and your wife, and -"

At that point, she was dragged from the hall, though she struggled to keep screaming. I'm pretty sure that everyone present heard: "shove a spear up your ass" and other pleasantries.

By the time she was 'escorted' from the premises, our audience was prepared to listen to me once again.

- "For those of you who are unaware," I began, "my brother Nathal attempted to have me killed in the palace bath house. That was why Sanatha and I, with a few allies, fled Elmina. But we also discovered that my brother Merik, with Tir Storum, was responsible for the murder of our father, the late Duke. I executed my brother Merik, after the battle of Borovo. If you've heard that he died of his wounds, let me correct you: I killed him. After he admitted that he'd murdered our father. Tir Storum was his ally and co-conspirator; it was one of Storum's henchmen who did the actual killing. That is why I had Tir Storum executed, and why I declare him forfeit."

Sanatha stood up, and raised her hand.

- "We recognized the heirs of Tir Pyera and Gerdar Candre. But the crime of Tir Storum is too great. And his heir, his sister - my brother Merik's widow - was also an accomplice. Shurkka Storum will be exiled to her family estates, which will remain exempt from our confiscation."

The assembled lords heard me - the great executioner, the confiscator of lands and titles - and they shuddered. But they also heard Sanatha, the voice of reason and moderation. I was the beast, with teeth and claws, who could rend and tear, while my sister appeared to be the one person who could restrain or counteract my baser impulses.

Tir Storum's lands would be divided. Small parts would go to Hurmas, and to Sezima's successors, but Sanatha and I would keep the bulk of his property, so that we could use it later, if we so chose.

I had bared my teeth. Now it was time for me to sit down. Sanatha once again took control of the proceedings.

- "There are several more great houses which suffered in this war. In these cases, my brother and I have decided to break with tradition. Bathene Esin!" she shouted.

Our red-headed cousin came forward alone.

Her father, her brother Viken, her uncle and two male cousins had been killed in Whydah. Most had died in battle; Viken had been foully murdered, along with my mother. There were no more male heirs to the title of Esin. Sanatha and I had chosen to invest Bathene as the Tir, in her own right.

This, too, was unprecedented. It was a day for firsts: two Tirs declared forfeit, their estates confiscated ... and now a female Tir. The hard-line conservatives would be appalled; let them be. Most had supported Nathal, and many were now dead. If the remainder couldn't recognize the writing on the wall, then I would teach them to read.

My cousin looked into my eyes, and nodded her head. We'd discussed this with her beforehand, so that it wouldn't come as a surprise. But Bathene was nonetheless grateful that Sanatha and I had made her, at one stroke, both independent and one of the most powerful people in the Duchy.

- "Talanassa Albo!" said Sanatha.

There she was. This was the girl I might have married, had circumstances been different. She was also the widow of my brother Nathal, and the daughter of Tir Albo, who I'd opposed at Tanarive, and fought again at Whydah.

Sanatha, Glasha and I had discussed her case at great length. I had a feeling that we could trust her.

- "A feeling?" said Sanatha. "We need more than that!"

- "Let me try." suggested Glasha.

Two long conversations between Glasha and Talanassa Albo made the difference. Both women came away from those encounters impressed, and encouraged. Glasha took my side.

"She is the best choice."

Rather than divest a 3rd great house, we decided to grant Talanassa her father's title and lands. It didn't escape us that doing this for her also made Bathene Esin's new role more legitimate.

- "My father made many mistakes." said Talanassa Albo. Only a few members of our audience could hear her, but all of us on the dais caught every word.

"He was wrong at Tanarive. I believe that he was wrong again, afterwards." She could have been referring to Albo's decision to support Nathal, or to his choice to marry his daughter to my charming brother. "I will endeavour to repay your trust in me." she said.

- "We welcome you to our peace." said Sanatha.

I glanced at Saska. She smiled back at me. My wife knew that I'd been attracted to Talanassa Albo. Had things worked out differently, I might even have married her.

- "You know how I feel." I whispered, so that only my wife could hear.

- "I do." said Saska Tanle. I'd given her repeated proof of my devotion over the past month.

- "Benaz Corig!" shouted Sanatha.

If we were going to give Bathene Esin and Talanassa Albo titles of their own, then we could hardly fail to offer Benaz Corig the same. She had no brothers, and no male cousins. I despaired of her judgment, but both Saska and Glasha were convinced that Benaz would listen to Bathene's advice. Sanatha voted with my wife and my mistress, and I was effectively overruled.

But I couldn't deny the principle. If my sister deserved to be taken seriously as Duchess of Varna, then Bathene, Talanassa and Benaz had the same right.

The conservatives would be horrified. But direct descendants of these title-holders would inherit. Would they have preferred that we declare two more Tirs and a Gerdar forfeit?

Sanatha sat down again. I stood up.

- "There are a few injustices that must be remedied." I said. "There is one Gerdar in Varna who should have been made a Tir long ago. Gerdar Tanle!"

My mother-in-law approached the dais. She should have been granted the title many years ago. My father had withheld it. Now Saska was no longer heir to a Gerdar, but to a Tir.

"You deserved this before the war." I told her. "And even more so after it."

There was considerable support among our allies for this decision. Most of the other nobles could see the justice in this. I had forgiven former enemies, and restored their lands. It was only fair that one of our friends be rewarded.

Or two.

- "Gerdar Dergun!"

I quite liked Dergun, as a person, as well as an ally. We were granting him a share of the former Beksha lands; now we gave him the title to match. The more astute members of our audience would recognize the wisdom of having three Tirs in the east: they would balance each other, and there would always be two Tirs ready to check the ambitions of the third.

There was also a pleasing symmetry here: we'd eliminated two Tirs, Beksha and Storum. Now we had created two. There were once again nine Tirs in Varna.

- "Durgat of the Red Knees!"

My former bodyguard cut an imposing figure as he strode towards the dais. There was enough space already, but people stepped aside anyway.

"The Red Knees have always honoured their agreement with the Dukes of Varna, from the time of Arivan Cunedda. They have supplied us with magnificent fighters for the Duke's Guard for two centuries. But Lord Durgat went far beyond that. He brought the entire Red Knee Tribe to our aid."

Most people in the hall were staring at Durgat's broad shoulders and back. I spoke more slowly, and enunciated as clearly as I could, so that no one would miss what I said next.

"You have your own title, my Lord. And it is an honourable one. But I wish to grant you one more: Tir of the Red Knees!"

They heard me. From their reactions, and the look of shock on many faces, they understood that I'd just named a half-orc Tir. I gave them a moment, and then raised my hands for silence.

"Lord Durgat may wish to retain his present title. That is his right. But I want it known, all over Varna, that in future the Chieftain of the Red Knees may claim the rights of a Tir. There are now ten Tir in Varna!"

There was a smattering of polite applause. I wasn't sure how many people noted that I had never asked Durgat to kneel and swear fealty. He wanted to discuss the matter at greater length with his own folk, once they got back to their Shattered Tree.

I wondered, too, if any of them realized how close they'd come to having eleven Tir. Only two days ago, I'd had a long conversation with Alissara.

- "Thank you, Lord. I know that your offer is well-meant. But I doubt that the elves would accept having a Tir."

- "You and your successors could remain Wardens." I pointed out. "The status and the rights of a Tir would be yours to claim only when you needed them."

- "I understand. But your Tirs are hereditary. The Red Knees will have decide if their Tirs will be chosen by birth, by election, or by combat, as they have always done. We elves would never accept a leader chosen from outside - even if it was intended as a gift."

- "You would make a great Tir."

- "I didn't want to be Warden." she said, with a smile. "I would hardly ask for the burden of being a Tir."

- "That's precisely why you would be great." I said. "You don't seek the benefits, but you would accept the responsibility."

- "You didn't ask to be the Varyan." said Alissara.

- "Am I?"

- "Aren't you?"

I stepped forward to take Durgat's hand, and then to embrace him. With the advantage of the dais, I was almost as tall as he was.

Sanatha took over the proceedings from that point. She led the final prayers of thanks, and closed our first Great Council.

***

There were dozens - no, hundreds - of things that needed to be done. We solved quite a few by making Yazgash the Commander of the Guard. With Enneiros to help her, she got to work on rebuilding the defences of Elmina, and weeding out the undesirables.

I offered her a title, which she scornfully rejected.

- "Don't need it." she said. "And you don't want to automatically grant a title to the next commander of the Guard. Bad precedent."

Both contingents - the elven archers and the half-orcs - were increased to fifty, as many veterans of the war wished to remain with us.

Glasha's father made it clear that the fey wanted no distinctions, no titles or honours. But he did want me to continue my magic training.

- "The war is over, Rhigen." I said.

- "The next war is coming. I hope that it's not for a long time - but there will be another. There always is."

Bathene Esin had two requests to make, before she went home.

- "Rebuilding Whydah will be difficult ... and expensive."

- "We will give you as much money as we can." said Sanatha.

- "Thank you. But I could also use some ... assistance. Gerdar Hurmas was particularly helpful after the second battle. Would it be possible to re-appoint him to Whydah, in some capacity?"

- "I can ask him." I said.

Hurmas had gained a little land, and I'd already thanked him - several times over - for his services in the war. Now I had to ask him for yet another favour.

He accepted with alacrity.

- "Wait - you're willing to go?"

Hurmas cleared his throat, and lowered his eyes. "I ... I was struck by the suffering that the people of Whydah endured. I wanted to help them. And ..."

- "And?" I was beginning to catch on.

- "It was a pleasure to work alongside Lady Bathene. Tir Bathene."

- "I see."

We both missed Sezima. I suspected that I would for the rest of my life. But Sezima had been a randy skirt chaser. Hurmas was not. If he wanted to help Bathene, then I believed that his motives were honourable. And Bathene was a widow. She didn't need - and wouldn't appreciate - my interference.

- "Then I'm happy for both of you." I said. "And for Whydah."

Saska and Glasha also made demands on my time, but those I was much happier to attempt to meet.

Three weeks after the Great Council, Saska and I were lying on our bed in the Palace. I'd had absolutely no wish to use my father's spacious quarters, or anybody else's for that matter. Neither did Sanatha.

We knocked down walls, and created large new rooms. Sanatha now had three rooms at her disposal. I had my old room, which was also three times larger. Saska shared the space with me, while Glasha was just down the hall, with a room of her own.

- "I don't wish to add to your concerns, Tauma." said my wife. "I know that you have a thousand things to worry about."

- "A thousand and one. But there's always room for a few more. What's on your mind?"

Saska held onto me just a little tighter.

- "I'm pregnant." she said.

***

Shurkka Storum returned to her estate, and stayed out of trouble for almost two weeks. Then we received word that she had disappeared.

She was spotted in Portoa, six weeks later - it was hard to hide looks like hers. She booked passage on a ship bound for Galtin's Port.

Sanatha agreed with me: we confiscated her estate.

***

Affairs of state kept us fully occupied. It took months for Sanatha and I to realize that we weren't dividing the labours so much as sharing them. We began by consulting each other on virtually every decision, until we realized that all we were doing was keeping both of us busy from dawn to well past dusk.

- "We have to delegate more." she said.

- "Agreed. We could also trust each other with most of the minor decisions. You could let me know what you've decided, and I'll do the same."

- "That makes sense. In the worst-case scenario, we just change our minds a few days later."

My sister was eminently level-headed, and her ego was well under control. With a few simple adjustments to our daily schedules, the workload suddenly became much more manageable.

This was extremely important, since we'd taken it upon ourselves to educate our niece. Sirma began magic training, with Glasha, Sanatha and me. But she was also exercising her body as well as her mind, with several other tutors. She began to blossom, enjoying all of the activity as well as the attention she was receiving.