Vidare 10: The Photo

Story Info
Kai and Jason uncover the true nature of the photo.
4.2k words
4.4
878
00

Part 10 of the 17 part series

Updated 06/13/2023
Created 01/05/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Sometimes it's like I'm the only adult in this whole group." Kai sighed, lowering the large rifle.

"Spirits of the underworld!" Garret yelled out. "I'm here to lead you into the spooky beyond!"

"Shut up." Kai did his best not to smile.

Jason poked around at an old closet with the shelves caved in on themselves and slowly tried shifting some of the wreckage. "Do we know if it's haunting an object?"

Vicente shook his head as he eyed the house. "From what we understand, the ghost is falling through a Shallowing."

"That's like a thin patch right?" Kai eyed the house suspiciously.

"Yep. Any time you hear about the border between worlds being thin, that's a shallowing. Sometimes it happens on special days, sometimes it's in places of tragedy, sometimes it's just random." Vicente looked around with his flashlight raised before he clicked it off.

"Hey Kai." Vicente got close and whispered as he lit a smoke. "How's the kid?"

"Derrick?" He watched as Vicente nodded. "Not so good. First couple of days after Sarah killed herself he stayed completely in his room. We called him out of school. It's the first time he's seen a human dead." Kai pretended to look around the room with Vicente, shining the flashlight on random walls and patches on the floor. "He feels pretty guilty. The crazy witch put some idea in his head that she knew him, which at that age makes you question everything."

"That rough dude." Vicente looked around at the dusty furniture.

"How about you? How's Amaia?" Kai inquired.

"She's going into third grade soon. Estela and I are meeting with her new teachers next week and we're gonna be looking into good programs for her. She really likes gym." Vicente had a warm smile.

"I'm really glad you can live a magician's life and still have a family. Ariana and I have been going steady for a little bit now." Kai grinned as Vicente elbowed him in the side playfully.

"Ariana?" Vicente teased him with another poke. "Dude she parties more than anyone I ever met."

"Yeah she used to for sure. Ever since we started taking care of Derrick she won't even have a cig on the property. She goes out and smokes it on a walk and then showers somewhere else so she doesn't smell like it. The one time I caught her actually having a cig was right after-" Kai bit his tongue as he realized how much he almost said.

"So what, housewife in the future?" Vicente grinned.

"Hey are we gonna fuck around or are we gonna kill a ghost?" Garrett called from the other end of the house.

"Shut up you dick, you're the one who took a week off from a party. Gimme a minute." Kai angrily sighed. "Can I have one of those?" He pointed at Vicente's cigs.

"Well uh, I blessed them, does that bother you?" Vicente held the pack out.

"Not in the slightest." Kai took one, lighting it and leaning against a wall. "Between you and me, I'm more worried about Jason. He's been really sad since Derrick screamed at him."

"The kid watched his first body hit the ground." Vicente looked at him with a grimace. "He wasn't right in the head."

"I know that, and so does Jason, but you know the heart pains you get when they get angry." Kai chuckled.

"Tell me about it. First time she told me she hated me, I sat down in a pile of unfinished laundry and cried." Vicente grinned.

"We've been chasing down lead after lead for the photo Garrett found, while working, and while doing missions. It's like I'm working four jobs."

"You ever thought about taking the family on a vacation?"

"That's...actually not a bad idea." Kai smiled at the idea of the six of them on a beach somewhere, playing in the sand.

"We could organize a sort of mage family trip. Estela and Amaia are really adventurous, I'm more of a homebody though."

A large section of an inner wall split, sending splinters flying violently. Kai lifted his arm to shield his face from the blast, his body and Vicente's being sprayed in the chips that dug into their skin. "There's our spirit." Vicente grumbled.

Their target appeared as a whipping of dust and particles of the mess on the floor, a face forming in the storm as the dust swirled and spun. More wood and metal added itself to the cloud as it got stronger, and soon the face was almost clear as it looked down at the group. Garrett pulled the large walkie talkie like device out of his hoodie and clicked the button on it, a dull hum echoing through the house.

"He's trapped." Garrett said confidently. His wires and electrical boxes had been run through the entire house, and with both Jason's and Vicente's help, the spirit was confined.

Sensing the cage, the storm whipped itself into a tendril that smashed against an outer wall, roaring as it did. The wood broke apart and the dust dispersed as it hit the barrier, scattering in every direction. "Who are you?" The spirit asked raspily, its voice like a horrid whisper that crept into the ears of the mages below it.

"We're here to send you back." Garrett said brazenly as he stepped forward. A large tentacle of air and chipped wood flung out from the cloud and struck Garrett in the chest, ripping his shirt and throwing him back against a wall.

"Humans." The spirit exhaled.

"We're here to help. You've been torturing those around you now. Is this what you wanted in life?" Kai offered his hand out to the being, though he seriously doubted it would find a way to take it.

The strange whistling wind that followed the spirit kicked itself into a full hurricane, throwing bits of wood and metal in every direction. "In life I was nothing more than a common criminal."

"Aren't you tired then?" Jason asked as he stepped forward. "Hasn't the pain of waiting to be caught and judged worn you down enough?"

The spirit was silent for a minute. "I am...so tired."

Vicente took his burnt herbs and drew on the floor in a sigil, sitting before it and meditating. "Let us guide you into the next world."

"You will know peace." Kai smiled softly.

"Peace..." The spirit mumbled. "Will peace hurt?"

"No." Jason said firmly. "It'll be gentle."

Vicente began his soft pray and chanting, dovening as he pressed his hands together with his beads in the center. Taking some of the ash, he smeared it onto his own face and continued to pray. "May I have your permission to give you rest?" He asked cordially.

The dust swirled together again, it's shape slowly settling until it was just a mouth. "Yes." It echoed through the house.

Kai knelt in front of the spirit, taking his cross in hand and raising it up to the being as Vicente stood. With ash in hand, Vicente blew it out of his hand and into the dust cloud. "Spirit, know that this world holds no more for you. You are beckoned to the other side."

Kai mumbled prayer diligently, his hands lifting higher as he did. "Give yourself rest, and walk into your next life."

The dust cloud seemed to vibrate as it struggled, pieces of it clattering to the ground before it finally whispered "Thank you." With a splash, the dust cloud hit the ground and dissipated into the floorboards.

Jason had been standing silently as he watched, and when it was gone he finally relinquished the tight grip he had on his pistol. Vicente and Kai did their various burial rights for the spirit together, and shared a smile as they stood again.

"Good work man." Vicente put a hand on Kai. "Give the spirit work some time, it's a slow process. You're well on your way."

"Thanks. I'm hoping to be able to communicate like you do someday." Kai tucked his cross back into his shirt. Walking over to Garrett, he pressed his hands to the wound in his chest and began muttering his psalms. Garrett slowly opened his eyes again and stood up shakily, taking Kai's hand when he needed it and making his way back to the front door of the worn down house.

Jason offered his hand to Vicente but only got a questioning look in return. "I forgot." Jason smiled as Vicente refused his hand but was left confused when he shook Kai's before he walked out the door. "I thought..." He looked up at Kai.

"He doesn't shake hands with white people." Kai grimaced. "Don't worry about it too much." He patted Jason and went to go gather the electrical boxes and wires as Garrett limped over to Jason.

"Fucking ghosts." Garrett whined. His shirt was wide open from the slash with bits of wood buried into his chest. The two killed time until Kai returned with the boxes and wires piled into the duffel bag they came in, and with their mission complete, headed for the car.

"Garrett got a lead on Harry, the guy from the carnival. It's too late to visit him now, so tomorrow we're gonna go to his car lot and see what we can dig up." Kai said as he slammed the duffel bag into the trunk and got into the driver's seat.

"We expecting any trouble?" Jason looked over at him from the passenger side.

"He should just be a sleeper who is another car salesman for the needy masses." Kai started the car and pulled out of the cracked and stained driveway.

"Excellent. Let's not come home with a new car though." Jason looked out the window as they sped home.

***

"Hey sweetie." Kai smiled as he picked up Ariana and kissed her. "How was your day?"

"Stupid." She laughed. "But it's a lot better now." Looking around, Ariana watched as Derrick played on his game console and let the kitten sleep in his lap. "You wanna go grab a beer?"

"I'd really like that. You don't mind if the others watch Derrick?" Kai smiled at her warmth and comfort, hugging her closely.

"Not at all. Let me tell them and we can get out of here." Ariana adjusted her top as she walked over to Jason and chatted with him for a second, bounding back over to Kai and slipping on her shoes. "Tell me all about the mission!"

The two chatted happily as they headed for the bar they first met at, and the dim sign of Leakey's tavern still glowed bright in the setting sun. Grabbing a table and ordering their drinks, the two relaxed in their chairs and eyed each other from across the table. Ariana had a bright smile on her face, her fingers occasionally playing with her hair as she looked at Kai.

"Jason didn't really do anything, but I think it was good for him." Kai finished his story and smiled at the two beers set in front of them. He lifted the cold glass and sipped it.

"Sometimes I worry about him. Lately though, it's been Miles that's had my mind running." She took a heavy drink from her glass and set it back on the table with a thud. "He's been so focused on tracking down the contents of the photo."

Kai bit his lip as he nodded. "It's pretty weird. Seeing Derrick in there makes me feel like a conspiracy theorist most nights."

"I'm almost scared Miles will drive himself mad, or worse, actually find something more concrete." She took another drink and wiped her mouth. "What's your theory?"

Kai looked around the bar, lowering his voice as he started. "What if...it really is him. Either he's this time turner who went back to his childhood, or he gets thrown back to the eighties, or hell what if he's a copy of someone?"

"That's all ridiculous." Ariana rolled her eyes.

"We deal with ridiculous things." Kai retorted.

"I think Vic is the best source, whoever he is. He could have more than anyone."

"Do you know what's up with Jason lately by the way?" Kai looked at her curiously. "He's been...distant. Not his usual awkward and unsure self."

"He's been really scared that he's tainting his soul. I think the encounter you guys had with the fey really fucked him up. I tried to talk to him about it but he mostly cried."

"Kid is too raw for this work." Kai responded sadly.

"What about Garrett?" Ariana asked.

Kai sighed and threw his hands on the table. "Don't even get me started on him. I keep walking downstairs and expecting to find him overdosed again. I have these nightmares where I didn't help him in time."

"You did everything you possibly could. Hell it nearly killed you."

"Kai." She stretched out her hand to his. "I know Jason formally leads us, but you're not as incapable as you keep thinking you are. "Given time, I don't think anything is gonna stop you from being one of the greatest magicians of this time. I feel that way about all of us."

"And you?" Kai asked slowly.

"I'm...becoming who I need to be." Ariana muttered. "For this group, for you, and for Derrick."

Kai started chuckling and soon was in a full laughing fit that made heads turn at the bar. "Ariana...that's the stupidest shit I ever heard." She looked shocked as she leaned back. "What does the Sahajiya say about limits?"

Ari rolled her eyes and recited it from memory. "Surrender your fear; 2: Focus your intentions, 3:Open yourself, 4:Attune yourself, 5: Repeat Step 1."

"So what are you afraid of Ari?" He asked firmly.

The shocked look on her face turned to contemplative, and then to embarrassment. "It's really stupid."

"Fear isn't objective. It's a normal part of being who you are."

Ariana paused as she looked around the bar and then back to Kai. "I'm afraid of losing you."

"Me?" He sat back. "Why would you lose me?"

"I'm..." She bit her lip.

"What?" Kai smiled. "What is it?" As her face grew more and more pale, Kai sat forward. "Wait...Ari, what are you trying to tell me?"

"I'm...late." She chewed her lip anxiously.

Kai's eyes went wide. "Oh."

"Oh?" She responded with tension.

"What would...what would you like to do?" Kai took her hand and took a deep breath.

"I mean...I'm here with you grabbing a beer." She folded her arms, fearing the response.

"Ari, I'm here to support you." He held out his hand and waited for her to put hers in it. "I'm not here to judge, I'm not here to pressure you, and I'm not here to try and make you feel anything but loved." Kai and Ari shared a smile.

"I always thought because I could never have any kids of my own, that I'd consider it a miracle if I wound up pregnant." She took a sip of her drink. "But we have Derrick, and we love him. I also...I don't know if I'm ready."

"I don't know if I am either, but if you wanted to take that leap, I'd support you there too." Kai smiled.

"Thank you." Ari stood up to hug him tightly. "I'm really glad we got together the right way this time." They sat back down.

"Can I ask why you felt scared I would react differently?" Kai cocked his head.

"I know family is a little different for you." She looked at the table nervously. "I know the church is a little strict."

"They also hated me for loving Damien." He chuckled and then looked off, lost in thought for his little brother. "I...I miss him."

"He was a beautiful man." Ari said with a tear in her eye.

"Still. I won't ever force us to have a family we aren't ready for. We take missions that are dangerous and stupid on a good day. What kind of life is that for a child?"

"Kai?" She squeezed his hands. "Damien would be proud of you."

***

"Hey Harry, thanks for meeting with us." Kai and Jason took their seats across from the man and waited for him to pull out his lunch.

"It's no trouble." The man pulled his tie over his shoulder to avoid getting any food on it.

"We had a few questions. Mostly ones about the carnival you used to work at when you were younger."

Harry smiled. "God, I haven't thought of that place in years." He took a bite of his sandwich and chewed for a minute. "I used to love my shifts there."

"We were wondering about a boy that might have frequented there." Kai pulled the photo from his jacket and put it on the desk in front of Harry.

"Holy shit..." He smiled widely. "I haven't seen these little jerks in almost thirty years!"

"You recognize them that well?" Jason asked with confusion on his face.

"Sure I do. They saved my life." Harry smiled. "Who do you think took the picture?"

"Can I ask you to please write down their names?" Jason handed him a pen. Kai's brow was furrowed as they listened.

"Sure." Harry grinned. "Let's see here." He eyed the first boy in the picture who was in a deep red hoodie. "This guy was Vic. He was a real nerdy type, always seemed really awkward when his boyfriend wasn't around." He jotted the next name and flipped it back over to point at the boy who looked like Derrick. "That's Chris. He and Vic had their first date when I was there. Really sweet couple too."

Harry continued to smile as he flipped the photo back over with the next name. "This girl was uh...Heather. She was a mechanic, and she always had a brilliant memory." Harry marked the next. "That's Sarah, and she was a little more fond of animals than people."

"Harry, this is amazing." Kai smiled. "Thank you so much."

"Easy now," He chuckled. "This guy here was Wally. He was a computer geek. Pocket protector, broken glasses, allergies, the whole nine yards. He could tell you every line of Star Trek that ever got aired." Harry nodded as he scrawled the last name into the back of the picture. "And Thomas. Sweet kid, super patient and kind to everyone he ever met." Harry grinned at Jason and Kai as he handed back the photo. "I wrote who it was left to right."

Jason smiled successfully and as he looked at the photo, he turned it over, memorizing the names. "You said you owed them your life?"

"Yeah four assholes jumped me on my way to pick up my paycheck, these guys stepped in and sent them running." Harry laughed. "I wasn't exactly a fighter, but even Wally looked like he was ready to go to war that night."

"Why are you so comfortable telling us all this?" Kai asked.

"Well..." Harry chewed for another minute. "They're all dead." He swallowed and took a sip from his drink.

"Dead?" Kai repeated.

"I heard Chris and Vic got attacked for being gay, victims of the times. Thomas died of a heart attack, Wally had cancer, Heather had a...oh what do they call it?" He rolled his eyes. "Don't get old boys." He chuckled to himself. "Sarah...well unfortunately she just killed herself."

"Wait...Sarah?" Jason looked at Kai bewildered. "When did she die?"

Harry sighed. "In the last week."

"That's horrible. I'm so sorry. How did you find out?" Kai inquired slowly, trying to be sensitive as he proved for more information.

"Paper. Couldn't believe it. I knew she and wally lost it when their kid died. Nearly destroyed both of them."

"Wally and Sarah were a couple?" Kai asked as he eyed them in the pics.

"Yeah but...she and wally had to bury their child. I guess she died in a car crash." The three went quiet for a minute as none of them knew how to bring the conversation back, and Jason was lost in the memories of fighting the beast Sarah had made.

"I hope I was helpful." Harry said as he stood. "I have a meeting soon so..." Clearly depressed from the talk, Henry slowly said his goodbyes and walked them out of the car lot.

Jason and Kai walked back to their vehicle, looking over their shoulder every few steps to find Harry just staring at them through the glass. When they were finally settled in the car, the silence hung in the air for a minute. "Did that seem weird to you?" Kai tapped the photo against the steering wheel.

"Absolutely. Did you hear about the deaths?" Jason nodded. "That's a Hermes tactic."

"What do you mean?" Kai looked over confused.

"They make up how you die, two years go by, they give you a new look and a new name." Jason tapped the car with his fingertips. "They always make sure that it's published as much as they can so everyone knows they died."

"Yeah that was fucking weird. He also seemed to have way more information than any normal friend of theirs would. He seemed to be loaded with exactly enough to inform us and throw us off the trail." Kai looked back at Harry who finally walked away from the window.

"You stay here and take cover wherever you can keep an eye on him. I'm gonna go grab us food and energy drinks for tonight." Jason grabbed his wallet. "Do you want anything specific?"

12