Visions Unveiled Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Logan shook his head, "No, but it must have been a nearby pack."

Shane turned his eyes to the two in the group who were currently wolves. "James. Brendan. Please shift."

In a few short moments it was done. Where there had been one blonde and one black wolf, suddenly there were two large men with the same coloring. They both bowed heads slightly towards Shane, and though they were nude, neither seemed affected by the cold.

"I take it you two were out running the borders most recently?" Shane asked them.

It was James who answered. Second to Logan, James was the most serious of the Betas. "Yes, Alpha. Since nightfall there has been hardly any activity in the forest. This weather seems to have even kept the night creatures at bay."

Shane had the same feeling himself when he was in the forest during the storm. "I don't think there is cause to have too much concern when the forest is this quiet." He paused as he let his eyes roam the nearest trees and thought of his wayward cousin. While he didn't regret his actions, he still felt concern for the younger wolf. Justin had a lot to learn, and Shane hoped that taking a hard stance would get through to the boy. Looking towards James and Brendan he went on, "Taper back to the regularly scheduled security checks for the time being. Everyone else should get some rest."

Shane waited until the two shifted back into wolves and headed into the forest in opposite directions. Sam, who had been so far silent, gave Logan a pointed look before excusing himself and returning home. When he was gone, it left the Alpha standing with only the twins and Shane cut right to the chase. He crossed his arms as his eyes landed on Logan, "Where is my sister?"

"She went to visit Tabitha and her cousins. She needed to reassure herself that everyone was okay," Logan took a brief pause and then went on. "It's been a very emotional day for her. She has felt interference with someone she can't quite identify, and so she wanted to check in with her closest female relatives."

Shane narrowed his eyes as he sensed a tension coming through his Beta's words and turned next to Kevin, "What is concerning you?"

Kevin sighed as he looked from Shane, to his twin, and then back again. "Before you joined us, we had a slight disagreement."

When Kevin went silent, Shane took a deep breath to calm himself. "About?" he prompted.

It was Logan who answered, his voice slightly edgy. "This girl, the human."

"My mate," Shane corrected him, forcing his voice to stay calm.

Instantly he felt it, Kevin's anxiety returning. And a look towards Logan soon told him why.

"Alpha," Logan began through gritted teeth, "Please be rational. There is no way this girl can be your mate. Your mate perished long ago."

Lowering his arms, Shane felt his wolf start to come forth to confront this challenge. It was an uneasy feeling, the need to defend himself, his mate, against his closest friend, and again Shane forced himself to find some sense of calm. "You think me irrational? Because I've learned my mate is alive?"

Logan started to shake his head, "You have been grieving a long time, and I can understand that you want to believe this girl could be your lost mate. But I would be amiss if I didn't urge you to be cautious."

"While I appreciate your concerns, I can assure you, my mind is clear," Shane replied. "Clearer than it has been in many, many years."

Logan though seemed unconvinced. "Alpha, how can it be possible, when we have believed for so long that the baby died? If she didn't then that will mean-" his eyes swung towards Kevin as his words broke off.

With a somber nod, Kevin spoke up. "It would mean that I was wrong."

Logan immediately shook his head, very much in defense of his brother, "Impossible. You are an incredibly thorough doctor. You would never make such an error."

Kevin gave a small shrug, "And yet I have. I mispronounced her dead," suddenly his voice hardened, "A mistake I have already bled for once today. How many more times would you like to reopen this wound, brother?"

"Enough," Shane's voice commanded, and both fell silent. "Kevin," he went on in a lighter tone, "Earlier today I admitted my regret for how I responded. It was then that I was not acting rationally, out of concern for my mate. Your brother deserves to know how wrong I was, and I have been humbled by your successful efforts to make her well this night." He paused for a moment to look them both in the eyes before continuing. "My mate was not only ill because of catching cold in the wilderness, but because she was attacked. By a werewolf."

Shane watched as the twins shared a look, and turned to Logan when he sensed him about to speak. "Is he dead, Alpha? Will a neighboring pack be retaliating?"

Shane shook his head, "It happened before I found her. She managed to outrun him, which only made her sicker."

Kevin swallowed before speaking, "The bruises I noticed?"

Shane gave a slight nod, "Yes. That was him."

After a long pause Kevin asked the question that Shane was certain he already had the answer to. Yet, the Beta asked it anyway. "Alpha, is this a werewolf we know?"

Immediately, Shane nodded. "It was Justin."

Logan's jaw dropped. "How are you sure?"

Shane rubbed his eyes briefly, "Because I could scent him, of course."

Logan took another step back, his eyes widening. "Alpha ... Shane, I am sorry, but I have to ask this. Please tell me, you can see how fantastically coincidental this is? Justin betrays you and hours later you come across a girl you believe could be your mate, and she is carrying Justin's scent."

"He attacked her," Shane snapped.

"Or she could be working with him," Logan retorted. "As a spy, she could be the one he was describing our property to. Or, if his scent was present, she may be his lover."

Kevin took a step backwards, as if he anticipated an explosion. Noticing, Shane turned to him and spoke in a very quiet voice. "Kevin, if you wouldn't mind, my mate should be checked on. She still has traces of a cough. I was going to bring her some things to wear from Erin's closet and a cup of tea as well."

Recognizing his dismissal, Kevin immediately bowed his head. "Yes, Alpha. I should also want to give her another dose of medicine to be sure the fever stays down, if you are agreeable."

This time, it was Shane who inclined his head towards the Beta. An acknowledgement which was not missed by either Logan or Kevin. "I defer here to you, Kevin. Whatever treatment you think is best. And I thank you."

After a long moment in which he locked eyes with his brother, Kevin took his leave.

When Kevin was gone, Shane's eyes began to brighten into gold as he stared hard at his oldest friend. "Justin will be found, and when he is I will deal with him personally," his words trailed off into a deep growl which prompted Logan to brace himself, though he stood his ground. Once his voice returned, Shane went on, "Hear me now, and listen well, Logan Andrew McCall. My mate is no spy, and most certainly not involved with my cousin in any way. Is this clear?"

When Logan didn't immediately answer, Shane unfolded his arms and took a step towards him. "What exactly is it that you have against her?"

Logan held out his hand slightly, "I just find it skeptical is all. And perhaps your judgment isn't-"

His words broke off instantly when Shane rumbled, "Judgment?! You dare to question my judgment in this matter?"

There was a long pause in which neither spoke for several moments. Finally it was Shane who broke the silence. "Remind me friend, of what happened in the year 1726?"

Logan swallowed visibly before shaking his head slightly, "Shane, please. That was so long ago."

With a sharp nod, Shane pressed on. "Indulge me anyway. Spring-time. 1726. What major event took place that changed our lives?"

Logan took a deep breath and looked towards the darkened sky for several moments. When his eyes returned to Shane he said in an even voice, "Erin was born."

Shane nodded, "That she was. And we weren't even there. Across an ocean we were, fighting a bloody war that my father's allies had gotten us dragged into."

Logan frowned as he too remembered. "Yes, the war that claimed Tavis."

Shane took a deep breath, remembering his fallen brother. How he didn't make it to him in time to save him. He recalled the pain of losing a sibling, one he was meant to protect. With resolve, he pushed the feelings down to focus on the current matter at hand. "Yes, that very one. And when we finally returned to Donegal, Erin and Egan were already two moons of age. We barely made it onto the homestead when you started acting strangely. And when we were close enough for you to scent her ..."

Shane let his words trail off intentionally, giving his friend time to recall that day. It had been a stressful one. The promise of such a mating was a joyous thing, but Shane's father had been extremely protective of his only female cub.

"The Alpha wanted to send me away," Logan finally said.

Shane nodded, "Yes, to Russia. To join our allied pack who needed warriors after all of their losses in Iceland. My father thought it best for you not be near Erin during her younger years. But I knew it would tear you apart, not being able to protect the pack she lived among. I could only imagine how difficult it would be for you, being separated by thousands of kilometers. So I went to the Alpha and spoke of your honor, swearing to him that you were a trustworthy wolf, and as my nearest friend I knew you would keep your distance until appropriate."

Logan ran a hand though his hair at the memory. "Yes, I remember. And Aiden agreed."

Shane almost smiled. Almost. "Twenty summers is what the Alpha declared. He said that you could stay with the pack and continue to train with his Betas. You could be Erin's friend and watch her grow. But you were to wait twenty summers before he would allow you to court her."

Logan closed his eyes and nodded, but said nothing. And so Shane continued on. "And so imagine our shock and surprise, when my mother caught her in your arms at the tender age of only 18."

Logan held up his hand, "I tried, you know I tried. I swore then and now on Luna how I tried. But Erin-"

"I know," Shane interrupted him, this time with a genuine smile. "You don't have to explain it to me. I know how relentless that girl can be when she wants something. And she wanted you. From the time of her first shifting at thirteen, you were all her eyes could see. But you disobeyed the Alpha."

Logan shook his head slightly, "She was ready. Why, at the time there were even young human girls marrying at fourteen and bearing healthy young. Erin was years more mature than they."

Shane sighed, "That was different. In those years, humans lived dreadfully shorter lives than they even have now. There were not the advances there are in medicine and life expectancy. If a woman was likely to perish by the age 30, of course she would have her children as soon as she was able."

Shane paused suddenly, as a stray thought entered his mind. Not unlike the females Logan just described, his mate was also human. She too was at such an age which would have been proper for the very thing he just described to his friend. Had Faline married by now? She was well within the typical age that a human female would have settled down. Did she have children? In a flash his mind reeled at the possibility. Of course she hadn't mentioned any such family other than Sophie, however Faline was also severely distrusting up until very recently.

He thought of his own kind and how protective a mother wolf could be of her young. A she-wolf was more apt to initially defend her cubs by hiding them. After all, if a predator didn't know the cubs existed, they couldn't very well search for and attack them. The thought of another male claiming her was enough to make Shane see red. Was there such a man out there looking for her at this very moment? Were there children who had been awake the last few nights, unable to sleep as they cried for their mother? Was Faline longing to return to these people as he imagined they would so desperately want her back?

His musings cut short when he finally heard Logan calling to him. His Beta was looking around sharply, "Alpha, is there a threat?"

Shane realized he was trembling and was a hairsbreadth away from shifting. He managed to get himself under control and held up a hand towards his Beta, "Forgive me, everything is fine," he said, realizing he would have to ask his mate if she were spoken for. If it was true, and she had taken a husband, he wasn't certain how he would react, or go about removing said man from her life. Pushing those thoughts aside for now, he returned his attention to Logan, "I was saying that we are different. My father knew that there was no keeping you and Erin apart. But he also knew you would have centuries together once you were mated. All he wanted was for his girl to have twenty independent years before she changed her life forever."

Logan lowered his eyes to the ground, recalling where this tale headed next. He sighed heavily before saying, "I understand why he was so angry."

Shane took a breath, "His anger was at himself. For allowing me to convince him to let you stay with the pack. And when you disobeyed his orders, he could have slashed you apart. And so there I was, in front of him again, this time on my knees pleading for him to spare you. Reminding him that to end you, would also hurt Erin so deeply. That as you were my nearest friend you were likely to become a Beta, and so even if it were selfish of me, that I needed you too."

In barely a whisper Logan said, "You saved me."

Shane shook his head in the negative, "Erin's love for you saved you. I only helped him to see it. You were then, and remain to this day, a worthy wolf. You are a good match for her. No one could ever deny that. You were young, she even younger. You made a hasty mistake is all. Even my father saw that. Logan," Shane said, and waited until his friend met his eyes, "I believed in you then. Not just once, but twice. When you found your mate in my sister I was at peace, content that the best wolf I knew would always be there for her. I defended your need to be with her. I faced the ire of my father, who we all know was at times an intense Alpha. He would snap first, and ask questions after. But always to the end of providing for us all."

Logan nodded, "He was fiercely protective, and a strong leader. I saw him in you today."

Shane lowered his head slightly, accepting the statement as a compliment. "What I am saying, is that I confronted him on your behalf twice. And I would again a hundred times over, had it meant that you lived to join with Erin. Maybe your actions did not always show the best judgment, but she was your destined mate and I knew you both needed to be together. From the moment you admitted to me that she was to be yours, I trusted you. And I always respected your need to be with your mate at all costs. Would it be too much to now ask you to return that favor?"

For several long moments Logan hung his head in silence. When he finally met his Alpha's eyes he did so while crossing his right arm over his chest, his fingertips touching his left shoulder. It was an ancient display of respect and loyalty amid their pack, which was traditionally only used in the most formal of times. When he spoke, his voice seemed slightly strained with emotion. "I will keep an open mind about the girl. But until your cousin is found, and his betrayal has been fully dealt with, I must remain watchful."

Shane reached out and squeezed Logan's shoulder. "I can understand and appreciate that, thank you. Now, you should probably go collect your mate from my aunt's house, lest she and the girls stay awake all night like they so often did as cubs."

Logan gave a small smile at the thought. "You're probably right," he said, and then after bidding Shane goodnight he set off towards Tabitha's home.

* * *

Shane reentered his house and started towards the stairs which is where he saw Kevin who was on his way down. "Alpha, I'm glad you're here. Your mate needs you."

Worry swept through Shane as he brushed passed Kevin, hurrying up the stairs. "Is it the fever? Can she breathe?" he asked, thinking of the things which most recently ailed his mate.

Kevin was right behind him as Shane let himself into the suite, his eyes scanning the room for the sight of her. When he located her, he saw she was on the floor holding the phone, and she was again in tears.

"It doesn't seem physical," Kevin was saying, "I brought the things you asked for, along with the tea and plate from the kitchen. I found her this way. I couldn't get her to respond, but she asked for you."

Shane repressed a concerned growl as he surveyed his mate, noticing that her hair was wet, and she was wearing only a white towel which was tightly tucked around her. Scenting the air told him she'd taken a shower. Dropping to a knee beside her, he scanned her for traces of injury, wondering if she had fallen. When he determined she was free of any visible harm he let out a breath of relief. He glanced to Kevin and then quickly unbuttoned and removed his shirt, draping it over her shoulders and pulling the front closed before her. "Faline, what's the matter?"

She was clutching the phone and shaking her head. "Sophie," she whispered.

"Did you get to speak to her?" Shane asked.

He watched as she raised worried eyes to Kevin and then shook her head. Shane nodded, knowing she still suffered a lack of trust. Looking over his shoulder he addressed his Beta, "Kevin, if you wouldn't mind?"

Kevin nodded instantly as he stepped away, "Please let me know if I can help."

Once Kevin had exited and closed the door, Shane asked again about Sophie. Faline simply shook her head, "Something's wrong."

"How can you know, if you didn't get to talk to her?" Shane asked, trying to remain calm and logical.

He noticed that Faline's eyes were full of worry as she spoke. "There was no answer, and so I tried the number for the shop. But she didn't answer that phone either. The answering machine didn't even pick up. Which is very wrong."

Shane covered her hand with his, hoping to calm her fears as he spoke. "She might have been asleep. Perhaps she went to visit a friend? Or she is out with your ... father?"

With a shake of her head, Faline finally met his eyes and seemed to reconnect with him. "I don't have a father," she said. "I mean, not by Sophie. She has raised me alone. But no, she wouldn't be out at this hour."

Faline looked down, and noticed for the first time her state of undress. "Oh," she said, as she clutched Shane's white dress shirt against her. "I'm so sorry."

"You have nothing to apologize for, m'chroi," Shane replied. "I was tardy in returning to you as I promised."

With a nod, Faline looked around the room, "I need to go home," she said as she began to stand up. "Will you please take me now?"

Shane knew she wasn't going to like his next words, but he said them anyway. "Faline, it is late and cold and dark out. First thing in the morning, I will take you. But now, I think you should get some more sleep."

Silver eyes flashed at him, as she reached down for the phone. "Fine. I'll call a taxi. What is the address here?"

"Faline."

"No," her voice was ice, "She needs me, I know she needs me."

Shane kept his distance as he said, "How so?"

With a shake of her head Faline answered, "You wouldn't understand."

"Try me," Shane insisted.

Looking down at herself, Faline backed away until she was in the washroom and closed the door. Shane was resisting the urge to ask her to come back out, when she opened the door again. When she reappeared, the towel was gone and all of the buttons of Shane's shirt were fastened save for the topmost button. Her petite frame was practically swimming in his shirt, and Shane felt himself stir at the sight of her in his clothes. She looked around the room nervously for a moment and then went to the bed where she took a seat on the edge of the mattress. "I saw something," she admitted in a small voice.