Walker Ch. 01.11

Info
A Tigreni warrior in exile is unable to escape human culture.
5.5k words
3.89
1k
1
0

Part 13 of the 20 part series

Updated 07/08/2023
Created 09/13/2022
Share this

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Duckies
Duckies
4 Followers

Chapter 1.11

In the lounge they found Edwin on the sofa, elbows on his knees with his face buried in his hands. They settled on the carpet as the captain watched them with an expression of severe concern.

'There was a second attack today.' he informed Walker.

'Aye? New information?'

'Yes.' Edwin shook his head 'How did you get those scars?'

'Fighting.' Walker said simply.

'Fighting who?' Edwin's suspicion was palpable.

'The enemies of my clan.' the tiger smelt it then, leather and oil, different layers of stale sweat, anticipation.

'Aye. And what species were those enemies?'

'Tigreni.' Walker made a show of sniffing the air, then cut his eyes at Edwin 'Has hospitality been withdrawn?'

'Aye, it has. Boys!' he called over his shoulder 'Stay calm, I don't want bloodshed.'

Walker did not move a muscle when the front door swung open and guardsmen poured in, several pairs of boots thudded down the stairs. Nine grim faced men with axes drawn stood around the fireplace.

'He's done nothing!' the girl desperately appealed to Edwin.

Walker held her arm, preventing her from jumping up. Of Edwin he asked 'What am I accused of?'

'Suspicion of spying.' Cedric scowled from Edwin's shoulder.

'You warned me away from the city just last night for exactly that fear.' Walker said dryly to the Captain, 'Do you believe it?'

'It can't be ignored,' Edwin began, 'the coincidence. You showing up at the gate. The attacks starting within a day. What do you have to say in your defense?'

The tiger's yellow eyes shifted from man to man as if sizing them up, each man tensed as his gaze fell on them.

'I am not of the beastfolk,' he began.

'You're a beast man.' an older guard chimed in from the right, 'An you got that bitch with ye, lookin' like she's fresh from a fight.' Edwin held up his hand for quiet.

'I am Tigreni ' the tiger continued ' There's not been an unsupervised moment since I arrived. I have no knowledge of anything to the north apart that it's a vast wilderness. I came from the east and won the girl from a stead. I have nothing more.'

Edwin leaned towards him 'You have any proof?'

Walker stared at him 'No, I cannot prove that the moon is not made of cheese. Do you have any proof?'

Edwin scowled, sighing 'No. Yet, I cannot turn away from this.'

'Hrmm, I understand.' he looked to Cedric, 'I will not resist. What will you do?'

'Arrest ye Mister Walker.' Cedric informed him, 'We'll treat ye fairly.'

The tiger indicated the girl with his head, 'And her?'

Edwin answered 'Seeing as there's no proof, Cedric and I have vouched for you with the Elderman. Your rights remain intact despite the arrest.' some of the guards scoffed unhappily at this, 'She remains your property, your coin will be kept at the Elderman's office and the girl will accompany us in the morning.'

Walker felt the girl tremble violently 'Hrmm. Where will she accompany you?'

'Not just her Mister Walker.' Cedric said.

'Enough Cedric.' Edwin motioned the men forward 'Right boys. Put the shackles, wrists and ankles. Gentle now, he's still my guest.'

Cedric and the young guardsman named Snorri escorted Walker through the lit streets while Edwin walked at the front of the group with the girl now named Shuq. She cried quietly as their restraints clinked. They avoided the square on the way to the barracks.

Once inside the compound they were taken to the left and escorted to a raised wooden structure. The inside was little more than a hallway with adjacent rooms on either side. A guardsman lifted the bar from the door of the first room and both Walker and the girl were taken inside.

'Bring two pallets and some blankets.' Edwin instructed a guard, 'Find the quartermaster, I want clothing that'll fit the pair.'

The tiger took three steps before crouching in the far corner where the girl joined him. Cedric brought a candle while Snorri carried in two chairs.

The door was barred. Edwin and Cedric sat facing the corner.

'I've sent a man to that stead to check on your story.' Edwin informed him, 'If confirmed it'll go a long way in proving you're not with the bandits.'

Walker nodded 'Where are we going tomorrow?'

'Following the river, north and west. Protecting the loggers coming for the week's end.'

'What have you learned.'

Edwin and Cedric glanced at each other, 'I won't share that.'

'I see.'

'This morning you mentioned a number of things I've only heard from city soldiers; supply lines and the like.'

'Hrmm. Things to know of the enemy.'

'Aye. Things bandits wouldn't necessarily have in mind.'

Walker shrugged.

Cedric spoke, 'What Captain's drivin at... is we don't know anythin' bout em.'

Edwin quieted the veteran guardsman, 'Let's imagine, I'm not sayin' that this' the case mind you, that there's more bandits than three dozen guards could handle in a pitched battle. How would you deal with it?'

'Hrmm.' the tiger's eyes shifted between the men, 'Tell me of the beastfolk. Are they warriors?'

'You don't know beastfolk?' Edwin was mildly surprised.

'Those words are broad.' Walker pointed out sardonically.

Cedric explained 'They's small, large ones're bout as big as a thirteen-year-old boy. Look like us, though different abouts the legs, that's the beast part, some got goat's legs, some gots wolf legs, sheep, cows, bears'n the like. Bout the head they usually got the animal bits too; horns sometimes, dog ears. But mostly like us in the face and body. Hunter'd caught one when I was a young'un in me da's camp. He'd taught her dancin, had rams horns though she had a puss, nose like ours but narrower and stickin' out from the face. Tiny tits bouncin' as the hunter played 'is flute. We was told they speak Norrish cause the wolves can't understand the sheep, 'n the sheep can't understand the goats.'

Edwin said 'Every few years a storm or harsh winter will drive them to the edges of our territory. With the new steads being established further out over the last few decades we've heard more of them but they avoid humans for the most part.'

'Until now?' Walker asked.

'Aye. Seems so.'

'And the humans with them?'

The question seemed to worry Edwin, 'I assume they're steaders who couldn't bend the land to crop or cattle.'

'The plan is to form a rearguard and follow the logging groups into town?'

'Aye.' Cedric confirmed.

'They'll attack camps in the night.' Walker stated, 'If they've been moving down from the north and the attacks are growing in frequency it indicates a larger force, arriving in groups.'

Edwin cursed loudly, 'That makes sense.'

'If you want to protect loggers you cannot wait for the sun. Do you have scouts?'

'Nay. No scouts. But loggers in the north 'ave been fleeing in since sunset, all tellin' stories.' Edwin answered.

Walker looked at Edwin 'That will buy some hours. You need information. If there's a larger force coming you need soldiers from the city or anywhere. Do you have enough men capable of fighting if the town itself comes under attack?'

Edwin looked uncomfortable, 'That's not something I can tell you.'

Walker made assumptions 'There's three thousand women, less than three hundred men. If one thousand women can stand and swing a weapon and a hundred or more men, you can defend Lumberton proper against a force three times the size.'

'If'n women can stand n' fight.' Cedric commented.

'Do you have a store of swords, shields, spears, bows and arrows?'

'Can't tell you.' Edwin said but his pained expression was obvious even to the tiger's eyes.

Walker growled, 'Hatchets are terrible in massed melee. You need scouts! Information!'

'Aye. Aye.' Edwin agreed 'We don't have that.'

'Pay me.' Walker said suddenly, 'I will scout. Returning by sunup.'

Edwin shook his head 'Potentially letting a spy return to his leaders. Won't happen.'

Walker thought a moment, 'Hunters. Any women who know the terrain and can run. Send them out in lines, staying within shouting distance from each other. They are to go as far out as they can. See what they can see, if they are noticed they are to flee with as much to tell as possible.'

Edwin and Cedric looked to each other.

'It must happen now. Now.' Walker spoke with urgency 'If there's to be a rearguard you must know something of the enemy. If a forward skirmishing line is not possible then only defensible positions with ready escape routes will suffice. With thirty to forty men, two positions can be covered competently, no more. Find the men who log the furthest out, and ask about ridges, cliffs, outcroppings, gulleys, ravines any features in the terrain; those men must come with us. Have any person who saw anything report now.'

'Hey now.' Cedric began 'You's not the captain to be givin orders.' But Edwin stopped him with a look.

'Go now!' Walker insisted, 'I do not wish to die a captive to my hosts.'

Edwin tapped Cedric on the shoulder and they left the room. Walker and the girl listened to the bar crashing across the door outside.

Pallets and clothes were brought. Walker advised Shuq out of the plain dress and into the loose trousers and shirt. Tearing a strip from the dress he told her to lift her shirt. It was awkward with the shackles but he managed to secure her breasts so she would be able to run comfortably. Her cloak hung off her shoulders.

'Try to sleep. You'll be glad in the night.' he advised.

They lay on the pallets resting a while but neither found sleep before the door opened and two guards ushered them into the courtyard of the compound. Dozens of guardsmen busied themselves tightening others' leather chest pieces, checking the heads of hatchets and filling water satchels.

Edwin, Cedric and two other veterans stood in a huddle speaking to four loggers as a dozen logger women stood feet away. The compound doors were open and Walker could see more of the slaves loitering in the road with several men watching over them.

Edwin motioned to Walker and Shuq's guard. 'The Tigreni'll will remain close to me.' he informed them. He asked the loggers 'Y'all know that area in the dark?'

'We do aye.' one said. Another nodded agreement 'Me womens as well. Tis mostly flat country with rocky hill to the side. Anyone camped will be close to the road.'

'Any landmarks? Features of the terrain?' Edwin asked the group.

'How ya mean captain?'

'If we're going to be fighting it'll be a retreating action. We need to pull people in behind us while we keep any attackers at bay, so I'll be needing to know about any high places, ditches, outcroppings, places where the landscape isn't flat.'

'Oh, aye Captain Edwin. There's like this ol' rockslide, like the hill broke in the middle, it cuts the valley in half. A determined man can climb over it but a cart's only gettin' by on the road by the river.'

'Good.' Edwin said, 'Further on?'

'I think everyone past there's already back, or comin.'

'Are you sure?' the guard to Edwin's right insisted.

'Ain't sure o' nothing, sir.'

'Right.' Edwin said determinedly 'Let's go.' He shouted at the assembled guardsmen 'Right lads, grab a woman from the road. They got hatchets and you'll be fighting alongside em. The unarmed ones are serving as scouts, they'll be spreading out before us. We want to return as many as we can to their owners, so for the sake of the gods, try and keep em alive.'

'Ye sure there'll be fightin captain?' a guardsman shouted.

'Sure of nothing boys. But we've a hunch the bandits're out in force tonight looking to kill men and steal the slaves.'

'Assuming's better than dying lads!' the man to his right echoed, 'Be ready!'

The men shuffled into the road where the slaves waited.

Finally, Edwin turned to Walker 'You want a leather breastplate?'

'I want a weapon and out of the shackles.' Walker muttered.

Edwin shook his head 'Your legs will be freed. We're leaving in minutes.'

The moon was full as it inched towards the night's zenith.

A hundred strong column followed Edwin out of the northern gates beside the river. At their back were the loggers who knew the terrain and behind that the guardsmen walking beside the armed logging women. Walker had seen only four swords, Edwin, Cedric and the other two commanding officers.

The road pulled immediately to the west and they entered the forest along the road. As they marched Edwin called up the scouting women, about twenty of them in their brown rags, all were tall and lean legged.

'Call to each other as you spread out bitches.' Edwin ordered, 'Stay as far ahead as you can without losing sight of our torches. If you see anything, don't call out immediately unless you get spotted first.'

'What if we see something master?' A tall woman with short crudely hacked off hair asked.

'You run back here and tell us soon as you can.' he answered 'Y'all can navigate in the dark?'

'Moon's out master. We can see.'

'Good. Go.'

They formed a jogging line in front of the column then broke off to the sides. For long minutes Walker could hear the women calling to each other in the trees. The voices eventually faded then quieted.

'That's what you wanted?' Edwin whispered to the tiger at his side.

'Close.'

'Sorry 'bout this mate.' Edwin said earnestly.

'Hrmm.'

The moon had begun sinking when a runner came in from the left 'There's a campsite ahead master.'

'Occupied.'

'People there. Smoldering fire. All asleep methinks.'

Edwin called up two guardsmen 'Follow her. Get the logger up and have his bitches pack the camp. They're to abandon any lumber that's not been moved yet. Rejoin us as soon as you can.'

'Aye aye sir.' the men rushed off.

The column marched silently by torchlight. Thrice more they encountered such camps and each was ordered back to town.

Soon after the third, two women ran up from the dark road ahead 'There's people coming master.'

'What people?'

'Loggers it looks like. They's all scattered up the road. We thinks we saw four men, bouts ten or so women but there's more a'comin.'

'Good. One of you stay with me.' Edwin dispatched several guardsmen to advance and escort the men to him. They set off. Within minutes the guards returned with three bloodied men, one leaned on another huffing with exertion and blood loss, one arrow in his back and another in the soft tissue beside his neck.

Edwin took a look at them 'Tell me what you saw.' he commanded tersely as the column moved on behind him.

The third man was the oldest 'Screeching women sir, dozens came pouring from the darkness, clubs, spears and hatchets, cutting into our tents. Me son here says he heard some men too. More'n that there was beastfolk with bow and arrow shooting down me slavejacks as we fled.'

'How long ago?' Edwin demanded.

'Not more'n an hour sir.'

A logger broke off from the column 'Eason? That you ol' son?'

'Aye, who're you?'

'It's Petrus, glad ta see you alive mate.'

'Aye, I guess. Fuckin' bandits damn near killed me whole gang. Wounded me boy.'

'Aye? Javid's packing up camp down the road. If ye get there soon he'll put yer lad on a cart.'

Edwin stopped their chat 'Men, women and beastfolk. You see anything else? Heard anything?'

'Nay sir. We was woken an fled. Left tool 'n cart 'n all back there. You intendin' ta fight em captain?'

'Yes. Keep moving. Your son's losing blood.'

'Wait.' Walker said moving to the wounded man, his chains clinked as he approached. The tiger yanked the arrow from the man's shoulder. The man gasped and his father protested to Edwin who waved them on.

Edwin motioned Petrus to follow them to the front of the column while the tiger closely inspected the arrow.

'Halt!' Edwin shouted loud as he could. To the girl he said 'Find the other runners. Tell them what happened and to be ready. They're to keep a keen on our torches, it's going to get much darker now.' The woman ran off. Edwin gave the order that all torches but for four at the front be smothered, then everyone was to adjust their night eyes.

'Loggers to me!' the men shuffled to the front, 'We need to know what's around us.' Edwin told them as the other senior guardsmen stood by.

'That rockslide is only a bit to the north captain. If there's people comin' down I bet they'll go through there.'

'How far's the river?' Cedric asked.

The men argued briefly until consensus was reached that it was barely out of earshot.

'To our west?' asked the third senior guardsman.

There was no argument about this, a ten-minute jog or twenty-minute walk up a gentle slope to the base of the hill proper. All the men assured Edwin that the break in the hill was too steep for any man to climb.

'Right boys,' Edwin began 'we'll march up to that bend beside the river and hold there until sunup.'

'Wait.' Walker said. Edwin and the other three men turned to him. He asked the loggers 'How high are the rocks beside the road?'

'About a man a half? Only gets taller the closer ya get to the hill.' one answered, the others nodding agreement.

'How wide is at the road? Are they boulders? Are they rocks? How uneven is the surface if one were to climb up? What color is it? Are there plants or weeds growing there? Detail. Detail.' the tiger demanded. Confused the men looked to Edwin.

'Walker. There's no time, we have to move.' Edwin insisted.

The tiger handed Edwin the arrow, 'The head is flint, sharp enough to pierce leather and wide enough to tear open flesh. We have time if you don't want everyone dead by morning.'

Edwin took a torch from Cedric and held the arrow to his eye. The tip was flat and jagged at the edges but the point was razor sharp.

When the men had answered all his questions Walker turned to the captain, 'We need some tents.'

The Tigreni outlined a plan which the men agreed to. The column set off briskly down the road encountering several more women fleeing towards them. They had met no more than thirty fleeing from a camp which had numbered two hundred that day.

Less than an hour later Edwin, Cedric, Walker and Shuq lay in the undergrowth watching several slavejacks arranged around a lone fire set between ten tents in a makeshift camp. The figures were small from the distance but the fire was easily visible. Far to their left was the round bend in the road. Between them and the waterside camp stood tall trees.

A runner ran through the trees 'Captain?' she half whispered.

'Over there.' a man's voice told her.

'I'm here.'

'They're coming through Captain.'

'Unlock the shackles.' Walker urged frustrated.

'Can't do that.' Edwin reiterated 'Just stay behind us.'

Walker tensed, 'I see them.'

'Get ready boys.' Edwin told the guards huddled about them.

Walker's cat eyes followed the movement of a mass of figures creeping towards the campsite from the far side of the road. They avoided the road itself, staying low. The figures in the back were mostly smaller, he thought he could make out the bows they carried.

'Must be more than two hundred.' Walker informed them as a group below moved up the slope in front of them in an effort to encircle the mostly empty tents. 'They are watching the camp. Do it now.'

Edwin sprang to his feet 'Get at em boys!'

Twenty guards and twenty slavejacks sprang up farther to their left. Shouts went up down the line as guards and hatchet wielding slave women descended down the hill in a jog. Thirty slavejacks had hidden deep in the rockslide, they now ran at the enemy from the direction of the bend, coming from behind.

Walker watched the mass below turn backwards to face the screaming women running down the road as the rest of the force descended quietly from above.

The guardsmen had timed themselves well as their split forced approach with relatively equal measure.

Beastman archers ran further up the hill over the road, notching arrows and waiting for the slavejacks to come into range. They realized too late, the guardsmen interspersed with slavejacks, rushing at them from behind. Human figures ran to defend the archers, they clashed in the center as the beastmen clambered to the back line but failing to notice Edwin's group flanking the right wing. Edwin and Cedric crashed into the small figures with their men. The slavejacks from the road crashed into the left flank and a dozen figures emerged from the fake tents, sprinting across the road to hit from the rear.

--:--
--:--
1.0
Duckies
Duckies
Duckies
4 Followers
12