Walker Ch. 01.06

Info
A Tigreni warrior in exile is unable to escape human culture.
6.5k words
4.57
1.4k
00

Part 8 of the 20 part series

Updated 07/08/2023
Created 09/13/2022
Share this

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Duckies
Duckies
4 Followers

Chapter 1.6

Outside it was a late spring morning but a cloying fog still held the bite of the night's cold. The girl wore a worn but heavy cloak with a face obscuring hood. Walker had left the shirt unbuttoned as it was too tight round the shoulders but too long for the waist, the pant legs were rolled up and the string round the waist kept loose.

They followed Edwin through to the opposite end of the town square. The girl walked with a limp and took it upon herself to slip her arm into Walker's for support.

'You shouldn't expect trouble, but in every crowd there's a man with a stick up his arse and a need to stick it up someone else's. The man who'll be with you is there to make sure that it's understood it's me and the Lumberton administration they'll be stirring up.'

Past the square was a lane of modest stores with signs of wood from overhanging roofs. Walker noted that most of the buildings were raised off the ground on wooden support beams while the walls were built with large stones, glued together of the hard clay similar to Edwin's home, but much cruder.

There was a tailor with glass windows displaying the finer textile products on offer like leather jackets, textured jerkins, colorful woolen robes pants, high boots, low boots . Adjacent was a barnlike structure with neatly stacked brown cloth. Walker realized this was where the slave's clothes were made; garments that were little more than thick fabric sacks with sleeves sewn on. A bald man with a gut leaned against the wide doorframe watching them. They passed several more that fit the mold; shops of finer goods beside barnlike structures housing mass quantities of hand made goods.

'Not much traffic this side at this time of year, the loggers already bought their supplies and goods, and are deep in the forests with their jack squads. There's a steady flow of carts selling logs at the barns during the days though, it's them'll want to fight you.'

'Who owns the processing barns?' Walker asked.

'Ahh, some men have their sons out while they do the cutting in town . Others have partners but mostly the barns are owned by men who made their coin and experience in their youths, spend their days overseeing lumber production between bouts of drinking, whipping and breeding their women.'

'Sounds productive.'

'Ehh, demand for lumber is high all over and we're the only ones with soil fit to grow trees fit for proper construction. You could double the size of Lumberton and still not catch up on the backlog. Barracks round the corner here, right past the smithy.'

It had been a short walk, barely a few blocks. The barracks was a collection of several large wooden structures inside a complex surrounded by pallisades. About three dozen men dressed in similar fashion to Edwin sat at tables on a raised platform under a raised plank roof.

The din of chatter and laughing men filled the central muster square. They ate breakfast in the open mess hall as several drably dressed women stood at attention on the far side, occasionally rushing forward to refill a mug, remove crockery or ladle more food into a bowl or serve eggs and bread onto a plate. As soon as their task was finished they'd return to their posts by the rail, then the next in line would rush to task. Walker noted the older men sat furthest to the back while the younger were closer to the entrance.

Edwin led Walker and the girl up the stairs, motioning them to wait behind his shoulder. The Captain slammed a wooden mug on the table like a gavel. The chatter died down almost instantly in response to the banging. Six or seven young, prettier women scurried from beneath the tables; their hair glued in clumps, their mouths dripping and their clothes wet and copiously stained from their continual duties. Their stained and heaving faces briskly joined the other women at attention.

'Mornin' boys!' Edwin shouted.

'Salut!' they echoed in unison.

'Anything to report?' the majority of the mess hall had their attention on the tiger man behind the captain. Uncertain murmurs spread among them.

An older bearded man, bent of back but still strong, stood 'Sir, last night I was out patrolling with Verrick, we was passing by the weaver's when we heard a commotion inside. Upon inspection we interrupted two of his lasses with a cord wound round his neck, he was close to death but we saved him.'

As one all the men slapped their tables twice in applause.

'Good man Cedric.' Edwin praised.

'Aye sir but 'tis not all good news. One was the twin sister to his apprentice, a lad of thirteen. She was sold with some other girls in the same bargain as the apprenticeship. As the weaver tells it she resented the boy, weaver was woke by a commotion, finding the boy dead in his bed with the two over his corpse. That's when they attacked him.'

'How did the apprentice die?'

'Stabbed through the heart with a needle. They went at him like wild animals, needle's thin but there's a gaping wound in his chest. We've sent a runner with a letter into the woods to find the father. Verrick'n I got them hogtied in the cells. Waiting your judgment.'

'We've seen this before, judgment is criminal branding and public stocking. Put em in the square. If they survive the three days the guard gets to choose to keep em or put em down.'

'Aye!' the men shouted.

'Anything else?'

To their right another veteran stood 'Captain Edwin, we's wondering...'

'I am fully aware of the nature of my guest gentlemen. I shall address it,' he looked pointedly at the man, 'after the reports. Sit down if you please guardsman.'

'I do have something Captain.'

Edwin motioned him to continue.

'Two matters. Tavern's bookie got waylaid and took a beating near his home. Motive wasn't robbery. He claims it was a logger unhappy that his jack lost the cocksucking game. Apparently the logger wanted the judge but on account of the judge living at the inn, the logger settled for beating the bookie.'

'He felt the judge unfair?'

'Aye sir.'

'You questioned the named man?'

'Nay sir, we heard he'd left this morning but we know the plot he's logging.'

'Right, I want two junior volunteers to join Taron on a trip to the woods.' Edwin addressed the younger men close to him, 'Taron, I trust you, question the logger, if you think him guilty give him a hefty fine and make sure he comes with an apology on his lips before he enters the tavern again. If the tavern keep wants to ban him from the establishment, that's his business. But remember, we want peace. Make right and make up if possible.'

'Aye sir. I'll see to it.' Taron answered, 'The second matter is a small one but it's a matter of discipline.'

'Out with it.'

'Tis number thirteen sir, one of the new girls. She's sucking the boys just fine, opens her legs on command but she's refusing to clean out her arsehole so the men can stick her.'

To the line of women in the back, 'One! Step forward. Thirteen, are you present?'

One was an older woman, handsome and widehipped but she had seen her best years serving at the barracks. She was well respected among the men and generally treated with veneration on account of having birthed boys to the number of six. She approached and knelt in the isle before Edwin. Thirteen was a dark-haired girl, lean and mannish. She approached tremblingly and knelt beside One.

'You know of this, One?' Edwin demanded.

She nodded, 'I know sir. I've taken the lash to her and cut food to almost nothing; she's taken to begging the men to suck their cum for sustenance. They've been obliging.'

'Damn near sucked me pecker off last night!' a guard shouted from the back. Laughter and knowing looks passed among the ranks.

Edwin held up a silencing hand, smiling as she continued, 'Which is why I've requested mister Taron bring the matter up this morning. I feel an example must be made afore the other new girls imagine they've a right to say no. Or the men tie her down and injure barracks property.'

The Captain looked to Taron for acknowledgement and received it.

'Thank you, One.' Edwin began, 'It's a small matter but cannot be overlooked. Is the master of hounds here?'

'Here sir!' a hand was raised.

'You'll arrange with One. Thirteen's sentenced to the bitch bar for a week.'

'No! I'll do it!' the girl screeched.

One planted a heavy palm on the back of the girl's head sending her sprawling on the floor.

'Rub her down with bitch urine and bring the hounds through during evening mess. Stopper the puss and have a girl help them knot her rectum in turn. She's not to be fed anything but what she sucks from the hounds after they fucked her ass.'

'We'll make a fine show of it sir.' the kennel master said.

The men slapped the tables twice. One dragged the girl away.

'Right gentlemen, anything else? No?'

Expectant silence as all eyes fell on Walker and the hooded figure at his side.

'This is Walker. I'm sure many have heard by now. He arrived at the gate yesterday with the wounded girl. He's my personal house guest and has been granted hospitality by the Elderman. He's a Tigreni, come to travel our lands. I'm sure you'll all treat him like we do any man. If you're wanting to gape at him, look now and get used to it.' Edwin motioned Walker forward. The girl refused to step forward with Walker, Edwin guessed it was because of what had just been spoken of; steaders lived very different lives.

Walker extracted his arm from the girl's grasp and stood beside Edwin.

'He has sanction to the gamble. He lays down silver, if a man matches the amount, he has to land a clean blow on Walker's body in order win the silver. If he fails, he walks away without his coin. Easy enough. I need a volunteer to administer his sanction.'

Walker saw two hands go up; a younger man barely starting to grow hair on his face and the older man Cedric.

'Thank you. It's you Cedric. Norri,' he addressed the younger man, 'arrange duties with Cedric on this. Attend to the schedule though, so the patrols aren't affected.'

'Aye sir.' the younger man said enthusiastically.

Edwin gave the assembly a wide grin, 'The Elderman said that a third of all winnings are to be taxed, a third of which goes to the man administering the sanction.' A collective groan rose from the crowd, 'Yah, you get nothing for keeping your hands down. Right gentlemen, I know the town's quiet but keep to the patrols. Keep awake, keep away from the drink until after your shifts and remember, we are here to serve. Let's keep things quiet.'

Edwin excused himself from Walker's company. Cedric caught the tiger's eye, indicating they should wait for him. The man had a quick word with Norri, who nodded in the affirmative, before approaching Walker and the girl.

'Welcome to Lumberton.' said the man stroking his greying beard furtively, he stood a head over Walker 'Course' ya know my name's Cedric.' He seemed to want to hold out his hand but hesitated, 'You'll excuse me awkwardness eh. Never seen a Tigreni afore, not sure how you's lot do anything.'

Walker offered the man his hand. They shook and Cedric seemed to relax, 'Mornin' lass.' greeted the guard peering into her hood. She shrunk into Walker's side, hiding her face.

'Aye, that's alright. Heard ye were treated rough. Don't ye worry though, nothin'll happen to ye that your master don't want. I'll see to that.'

'Thanks.' said Walker simply.

'No worries. I've nothing left ta do here so we can go set ye up in the square if ye're ready.'

Walker nodded and the man led them back to the street. The sun hung low but fully visible and the fog had begun to dissipate somewhat. Some women rushed down the road, carrying things or nothing at all. A four wheeled cart trundled by, its frame groaning under the weight of a non-hewn section of tree trunk as wide a man's outstretched arms; four naked women, but for thick sandals, leaned against the straining rope. They wore wide belts round their waists, and padded yokes on their necks were hooked over their shoulders binding them together two by two. Their tits hung like udders which swung in unison as their feet worked for purchase below obscenely veined legs as thick as tree trunks. They sweated profusely while a bored logger spurred them on with a lash.

'What kinds of fighting ye do Walker?' Cedric asked as they backtracked through the stores.

'Fists. Staves. Dual weapons. Most things.'

'Aye. Impressive set of scars you got there. You ever seen war?'

'Hrmm. Aye.'

Cedric tapped a sharp edged hatched tucked into his belt, 'What you think of the axe?'

'Good for wounding slow opponents. Difficult for efficient killing. Terrible against agile fighters.'

'Well, we're mighty fond of em.'

'A weapon you know is better than one you do not.' Walker agreed.

'Aye, right, here we are. The tavern's got what we need. Wait under the tree there. I'll have the keeper get some girls to bring out posts, ropes, mats and chairs an' the like. We'll get a tent set up beside, and a table so I can work the coin.'

Surprised, Walker said 'That's much more than I was hoping for, or need.'

'Ahch, don't ye worry none. If it's sanction, it's for the town and we can do what we want. If I'm to man this post then we set it up proper to make a good show of it.'

Walker shrugged and did his best to give the man a human smile.

In a kindly voice Cedric asked the girl, 'There anythin ye be wanting lass?'

'Maybe a bit of whiskey to help ease the wounds.' Walker suggested, she squeezed his arm.

'Ahh, great. I'll have a nip or two with her during the day.'

The man went off towards the tavern. Already several Lumbertonians had spotted the Tigreni waiting under the tree. They kept their distance but more people who sauntered through stopped and stared.

Walker for his part admired the size of the square that had been created with small, if unexciting gardens before the buildings. The square proper held no decorating feature apart from its size, which seemed to drag the eye towards a horizon line, it created a sense of vastness and the gardens opposite where they stood seemed far away. The surface of the square was made of similar cobblestone and clay but it was almost perfectly flat, a feat that could only be achieved with engineers who understood how and which materials needed to be compacted below to prevent damage or warping on the surface.

Minutes later Cedric returned, 'Right. Tavern keeper's keen. Asked if he could serve drink outside if'n the crowds'd make it profitable. I'm guessing ye prefer more eyes than less fer yer trade.'

Walker nodded.

A dozen women burst from the tavern door armed with materials.

Eight posts were set into premade holes behind the narrow garden fronting the tavern. Thinly stuffed mats were laid on the stone from corner to corner in the square arena. Cedric shouted orders for the placement of stools inside the arena and the table. Cedric had the gazebo set up beneath the branches of a tree and shouted orders for the placement of stools, chairs and the table he'd be using. Walker quietly marveled at the efficiency with which everything was set up, as if it had been many a time before, every slave unwaveringly rushed directly to the exact points and made short work of the multitude of small tasks involved.

The tavern keep wandered out between dodging slaves and approached Walker, 'Morning mister Walker.' He was a girthy man with a mouth which seemed to split his wide open face with large white teeth, 'Happy to have you here. Welcome, welcome.' he said jubilantly.

'Morning.' the tiger responded evenly.

'Captain Cedric says I get to do business in the street. If you don't mind me enquiring, do you draw crowds?' The man wiped his hands nervously on a stained apron as the Tigreni gave him a quizzical look. 'In your experience.' the man added.

'Only had one bout in Norrish lands.'

'Ohh aye. How many in attendance?'

Walker shrugged, 'Five.'

The man's smile seemed to take a punch. His eyes shifted up and to the right, then the left, then he looked at his feet, inhaled deeply, then his big head seemed to float up before settling on his neck like a bird sitting on its eggs.

'What is you want?' Walker asked levelly.

'Well mister Walker. In my experience, my business livens up considerably during holy days and festivals. You see, if people are happy or distracted, they don't think about the coin they're spending, they loose their purse strings. Now, the way I see it the town's commandeering my equipment and my labor for naught but the prospect of drawing crowds to my establishment with your spectacle.'

'That's a bad thing?'

'Nay. Nay! Goodness no. It's wonderful, it brings me to my point,' the Tigreni's eyes fluttered at this point, 'there's a potential opportunity here for both of us.'

'Hrmm. Explain.'

'People like a show. I've no idea of your talents but you're exotic, and that's draw enough. We'll have loggers coming in from all over the mountains and forests just to glimpse at you.'

'Hrmm.'

'If you make a show, a narrative, a character or anything that adds a layer above the fight. Now that draws people back for more.'

Walker thought about this, 'The wager is the made, the fight is had.' he stated finally.

The tavern keeper shrugged, 'We need come to no resolution on the spot mister Walker. I mention it so you can mull it over. All I'm saying is that I'm willing to work with you on something above and beyond what you do here.'

The girl chimed in abruptly 'He'll think about it. Leave please.'

The taven keeper was taken aback by her impertinent tone, and the fact that a woman had taken it. The man looked to Walker, and the tiger shrugged as if he agreed with her. 'I won't forget the offer.' Walker promised, 'But I need to prepare now.'

The balding fat man gave him a curt bow and a sharp look towards the girl before walking away.

The arena was ready, the slave women had gone back into the tavern and suddenly Cedric, Walker and the girl were alone but for some curious onlookers who kept a safe distance. Cedric perched on the edge of the table with some whiskey he offered to the girl. She took the glass and raised it beneath the lowered hood.

Cedric downed half a glass then smiled at the tiger, 'Ye ready?'

'Aye.' Walker responded peeling the tight shirt from his shoulders and slipping the pants off. He folded the shirt into a makeshift loincloth under his belly.

'Come!' Cedric's voice bellowed across the square, 'Come make a wager and fight a tiger! You there! Yes, you bastards, stop yer gawking and lay some coin down.'

The Tigreni climbed the ropes into the arena. He began a series of stretching exercises. At first five men came up to Cedric, asking what the hell was happening. Then curious faces emerged from the shops around them. As the small crowd grew it began pulling men and straggling women off the lanes from all sides. Within minutes two dozen people milled about the arena scrutinizing the man shaped body with a tiger's head. They whispered of the scars crisscrossing through his fur, admired the shine of his colors in the midmorning sun but no man yet offered coin to fight.

'Double your money!' Cedric proclaimed, 'Ye don't even need ta win! Just strike a clean blow to the head or body!'

The whispers intensified and the atmosphere changed as men began looking about for someone to take the challenge.

'I've got ten silvers.' a tall man the size of a bull said stepping from the crowd, 'Been chopping, fucking and fighting all me life. I'll take the pussycat on.' There was laughter.

'Give it and get in the ring!'

Walker rushed to the ropes motioning Cedric closer. The old guard flashed Walker some of his own coin and winked. The Tigreni was about to protest but the big logger was rushing in, 'Come pussycat.'

--:--
--:--
1.0
Duckies
Duckies
Duckies
4 Followers
12