Walking an Endless Path Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Hi, Dunc. Could you let Mom and Dad know we have company?" Joe said, and the youth smiled and nodded as he continued into the living room.

"I have heard the stories and seen the images on TV, but until you meet one in person, it does not feel real," Renata gasped. At Joe's curious look, she continued. "Aliens."

Joe grinned. "Actually, these ones are natives. They were born here. They're my kids."

Iosif and Renata both looked at Joe with wide eyes. "Come into the kitchen and have a seat. I'll put a kettle on. Tea or coffee?"

"Tea, please," Iosif said, finally able to speak.

They took seats, and Joseph busied himself in the kitchen. "Would you like something to eat? I have some fresh bread and some roast beef. I could make you a sandwich."

Iosif and Renata nodded gratefully.

Clara and Karl walked in, and Joe made the introductions as they shook hands. "Joseph, sit with your friends. I'll finish this," his mother insisted and shooed him to the table.

Joe sat next to Wendy and took her hand. He looked at his visitors.

"I have to admit, I never thought I'd see you two again," he said. Iosif smiled, but Renata grinned.

"We have been moving around quite a bit. I wasn't sure if we'd get back to this part of the world or even make it out of Russia alive," she admitted.

"That rough?" Joe asked.

Iosif snorted and scowled lightly at his charge, who smiled innocently. The man looked at Joe. "There were a few... tense moments," he said with a weary sigh.

Clara placed their plates before them and sat next to Karl.

As the two ate their sandwiches, Joe noticed Iosif glancing at the windows and saw the tension in the corners of his eyes.

"You should be aware that our property is guarded by the Army, who probably went on high alert when you arrived. There's also a SEAL team on the property. This is about as secure a place as you're likely to find. If someone is following you, they aren't getting past the front gate, and don't let that little building fool you. Just down the back lane is one of the most important buildings on the face of the Earth. Think Tank Two. A platoon of elite Soldiers guards it, and their security zone runs right up to the gatehouse. You're safe here. You can relax."

Iosif looked at Joe and weighed his words. "Is not so easy to relax. We've made... enemies."

"You've been busy?" Joe said with a smile.

Renata had a wicked smile on her face. "We are the wind of change. We ensured the responsible ones paid for their wicked ways. Perhaps our efforts to purge the evil went broader and higher than originally intended." She shrugged.

Iosif nodded, then grimaced. "We were perhaps a little too bold. We have burned many bridges." He shrugged. "All of them."

Renata looked at Joe. "While we are not welcome, we seem to have some immunity here in the States. A few times, we were certain we would be arrested, but each time, they simply sent us on our way. Not always happily. I am wondering if this was your doing? I hear you work for the NSA?"

Joe looked a little uncomfortable, then nodded. "I used to work for the NSA. I asked General MacAvoy to give you two immunity from prosecution, but he said the best he could do was a hands-off policy unless they caught you committing some violent crime."

Iosif looked at Joe in surprise. "You speak to the head of the US Military?"

Joe nodded. "Yeah, he... I guess he used to be my boss... kinda."

"You were in the army?" Renata asked.

"No, not really. It's... classified." Joe shrugged.

Renata knew to let that one go, so she just nodded.

Joe looked curiously at his Russian friends. "If you sought me out, can I assume you need my assistance?"

"We have made too many enemies. As Renata says, you have connections. Maybe more than we suspected." Iosif said.

"I'll do what I can," Joe said.

"We hear the Gates will open. Very soon. They will not let us pass through," Iosif said bluntly.

"Is the Gate Network ready for the wind of change?" Joe said with a smile.

Renata smiled sadly. "We have achieved what we set out to do. It is done. The organization is dying, but its remaining members still want us dead."

"Do you know where you'll go once you go through?" Joe asked curiously.

Renata and Iosif shared an uneasy look. They shook their heads. "But we cannot stay here... and live."

Joe considered the two sitting across the table from him and the lives they'd led. That gave him an idea. He cracked a smile. "How would you feel about telling your life story to a complete stranger? Granted, a completely trustworthy stranger. In exchange for an unedited, unvarnished, whole, and complete account of your lives to date, you could get a guide to take you anywhere in the Gate Network. Again, you have to be truthful. Nothing else is acceptable, and the moment your guide feels you are not living up to your side of the bargain, the deal is off, and you're on your own. No bargaining. Done. Keep in mind, nothing you say will be used against you in any court of law."

Iosif looked at Renata, his eyebrows raised in question. He looked back at Joe. "Like priest in a confessional?"

Joe nodded and grinned. "Yes. Much like that. A very patient, non-judgmental, and curious priest in a confessional. Good for the soul."

Iosif nodded, and Renata did as well.

"While you've seen Dunc, I think having a larger immersion might be a good idea to see how you react. Not all the initial diplomats Earth sent to Maghadahn maintained their cool. Some had emotional breakdowns when they found themselves in a room full of oddly shaped beings. Xenophobia is not something you want to discover you suffer from if you are out there in the Gate Network away from humanity," Joe suggested.

The two Russians nodded. Joe looked at his Dad, who was sitting closest to the doorway. Karl leaned back in his chair to call for the kids and jolted slightly when he saw them all standing in the hall just around the corner.

"Come in here, you sneaks!" Karl growled with a smile.

The kitchen began to fill with Joe's kids. Ash slipped onto Joe's lap and looked back at the visitors with wide, excited eyes. All the kids were excited. They didn't get to see too many strangers.

"Iosif Nikolov and Renata Gorokhov, may I introduce my family. This is Ash, Ray, Dunc, Hany, Layla, Kerk, Trib, Jay, Dane, Rupa, and Geny." Each of his kids raised a hand to wave as he called out their names.

"The rest of my kids are working in Universities, Laboratories, or in private pursuits of their own in different cities around the world."

"H-how many?" Renata said in shock.

"In total, twenty. We almost lost Mora, who is studying music in Paris, France. A xenophobe attacked her in a concert hall, but she got away, and her security team took down her assailant. All the kids off the farm have security details. It's still necessary." He looked at the two across the table. Aside from being slightly surprised, they showed no signs of emotional imbalance. Joe nodded. "It looks like you should be okay."

Ash put her hand out, and Renata reached across to hold it. Joe felt her surprise when she heard the music.

"Ah! The music! It's lovely! Iosif! Hold my hand!" Renata blurted as she held out her hand.

Cautiously, Iosif took her free hand in his, and he gasped in wonder. Joe could feel his mind in the link, though he did nothing to make his presence known to them... until he spoke.

"This ability is unique to my kids. I don't believe you'll find anyone else in the Network who can do this. It makes them pretty special," he said with a smile. Ash pulled her hand back and yawned. She leaned back against Joe's chest and closed her eyes. "Oh, no, you don't. It's time for bed. Everyone, off to bed. Have you cleaned up the living room?" He got nods from the kids. They waved goodnight, and Karl and Clara said their goodnights as well.

"Joe, they can take the two guest rooms next to ours tonight," Clara offered.

"Thanks, Mom!"

"Thank you," Iosif said with a nod and stood to shake Karl and Clara's hands again.

Once Joe and Wendy were alone with the Russians, Renata eased her blonde wig off.

"It feels so good to get out of that!" she sighed. "I never want to wear it again!"

She freed her long black locks from the pins and shook her hair out.

"Papa! Her hair has changed color!" Ash said after she rushed back into the kitchen to put the popcorn bowl away.

"It was a wig. Would you like it?" Renata asked.

"Oh! YES! Thank you!" the young female gushed, quickly pulling it onto her head. The long blond strands reached below her bottom. Considering none of the kids had hair of any kind courtesy of their mother's genes, the wig made a startling difference. Wendy couldn't suppress her giggles, and Joe smiled at Ash.

"You look lovely! Off to bed now," Joe said.

"Thank you again!" She stopped as she looked at the ultra-short hair on Iosif's head. "Maybe Mr. Nikolov would have liked the wig?"

Renata snorted loudly, but Iosif just shook his head with a grin of his own. Ash smiled back at him and rushed away. They heard squeals from the others as Ash showed up with a beautiful head of hair. The sound diminished as they ran down the hall to the new wing where their bedrooms were.

"Tomorrow, after a lovely home-cooked breakfast, we'll head to the Think Tank Two, where I will introduce you to your guide. It will take you through the big Gate they have. From there, you can make your way... anywhere."

"Thank you, Joe," Iosif said, finally beginning to relax.

"Did you say it?" Renata asked.

"Yes. The guide is another alien called a Tik. It's a mechanical lifeform. They look like flying chrome cylinders. The Tik are really good people. Excellent company, and they know pretty much everything about the Gate Network. They also record people's history. They get to know you and record the details of your life. It's a kind of immortality to have the Tik record your story as they share that knowledge only with other Tik to preserve it."

"It's late, and you both look like you could use some sleep. If you want to get your bags from the car, I'll show you to your rooms," Joe suggested, and they all stood. Iosif walked back to the car and returned with two suitcases.

"I take it we can drop your car off at the rental agency in town?" Joe asked.

"Oh! Yes, that would be good," Iosif said tiredly and handed Joe the keys. He placed them on a hook by the door.

Joe smiled and took one of the bags. "I'll ask the army folks to drop it off in the morning. They will look into any suspicious strangers looking for you."

The two nodded to him, so he showed them to the rooms. These were once occupied by Roger Bannon and Rachel White before they were called back to Washington. He missed them. He still kept in touch with Safa with occasional video calls, but she was also terribly busy and enjoying her new, more senior position.

Before they said their goodnights, Renata touched Joe's arm. "I am so glad you have found someone to share your life with!"

Joe smiled at Wendy and gave her hand a squeeze. "For as long as she wants to share it." Wendy smiled.

"Goodnight."

Joe and Wendy made their way to their room, and he opened the door for her. They went inside and got ready for bed.

As they snuggled under the covers, Wendy tucked herself in against Joe's chest.

"This is the last time for a long time that we'll be in this bed," she said quietly.

Joe heard the nervousness in her voice but also excitement. They'd talked about the long walk for a few years now. It was time. He gently kissed the top of her head, closed his eyes, and let sleep drag him under.

Tomorrow was going to be a big day.

-=-

Think Tank Two was an impressive structure, but what Joe liked most about it was the sculpture by the front entrance of the Kennt and Rensley and the group sculpture by the cafeteria windows of the Original Eight. Rusty, Burnie, Patch, Frank, Pokey, and Joe's friends, Hack, Slash, and Stinky. He loved the accuracy of their likenesses. He missed his friends.

Joe had been informed that General MacAvoy would be arriving to personally see him off. Joe wondered at the extravagance of using the General's valuable time for this, but they insisted. There was the matter of getting Iosif and Renata through the Gate before the General arrived. The man didn't need to know about that. A shiny new Tik approached their group and hovered before Joe.

"Hello! I have been requested to be the guide for the friends of Joseph Neumann. I am here to fulfill this task."

"Thank you! This is Iosif Nikolov and Renata Gorokhov. Please take good care of them and be their guide in the network." Joe asked.

"It will be my honor," the Tik replied. "They will tell me their stories?"

Joe looked at the two, and they nodded. "Yes, they will."

"Excellent. We should get underway as I have been notified the General's group will be arriving within the next seven minutes," the Tik notified them.

Joe shook Iosif's hand. The man seemed to be searching for something to say then he smiled. "See you on the other side."

That pulled a smile onto Joe's lips as well. They both knew the odds were against that.

Renata crushed herself against Joe's chest when Iosif stepped back. "I will never forget you, Joseph," she gasped against his neck.

"You're pretty unforgettable yourself. Stay out of trouble," he finished with a false growl, and a brief hiccup of laughter came from her before she spun and walked towards the Gate, wiping the tears from her cheeks. Iosif shared a look with Joe and followed.

Wendy hugged Joe and looked up at his sad expression. "Thinking of what might have been?"

Joe sighed as his friends stepped through the mirror surface and left Earth. He looked down into Wendy's eyes.

"No, we were already living in different worlds when we met. I couldn't imagine living as she did, and she had no intention of letting her enemies go unpunished. I'm glad she got closure. Us? It was never meant to be. I'm still sad that I've lost some friends."

Wendy didn't have words for him, so she held him tight, and he took comfort in that.

She heard some personnel carriers pulling to a stop before the large building behind them, and they turned.

Sergeant Armstrong stepped out of the driver's side and opened the rear door to help Clara. Karl came around the back to take his wife's hand. The rear door on the second carrier popped open, and Joe's kids came pouring out. They rushed around their grandparents to race up to their Dad.

His kids working in the Think Tank came rushing to join them.

Joe knelt and gathered his kids in his arms and felt their music swelling through him. As if they were standing next to him, he picked up the presence of the remaining children scattered around the world. He also felt his parents and Wendy in the link. His parents were holding hands, and Dunc linked them in. Wendy had been pulled into the group hug by his kids. He felt his love for them flowing out to them all and theirs returning to him. He hoped he'd be able to reach his kids from wherever he and Wendy roamed. The distances would be staggering, but Gates would be open, so maybe.

He stood and pulled his parents into a firm hug. He wasn't saying goodbye. He knew in his heart he'd return. He... just needed to do this.

"We know."

Joe realized the kids were still bridging their thoughts. "A little privacy now, please," he asked, and they stepped back with impish grins on their faces.

His parents visibly relaxed, so he thanked his children for that.

A series of personnel carriers swept into the parking lot before the building, and Soldiers climbed out. General MacAvoy climbed out of one of the vehicles, and Joe spotted Lieutenant Grey and the SEAL team coming from another. Joe's brow furrowed as they could be here to just say goodbye, or the General may have had second thoughts about letting him go on his own.

Karl glanced back at his son, and they shared a look.

The General looked like he'd lost a little weight but seemed more energized than Joe had ever seen him, and he'd never been a slouch. He walked up to the Neumanns with a smile on his face. He shook Karl's hand and kissed Clara's cheek.

"Would you mind if I had a moment alone with your son?" he asked, and they nodded. Wendy went with them after looking at Joe and receiving a nod.

Once they were alone, the General smiled up at him. "I can see the gears turning. You're wondering if I brought the SEAL team to force them on you as your guardians."

"The thought did cross my mind," Joe said hesitantly.

"I'm not going to do that. I would like you to seriously reconsider your plan for heading out there unescorted. There is no shame in taking precautions. Which Tik are going with you?" the General asked.

"Mac and Tosh."

MacAvoy looked at him in surprise. "Good Lord, them!?! You have more patience than me! With those two, you really will need the SEAL team!"

"You're overstating the danger. I'm not going to be looking for trouble—"

"Son, you don't look for trouble. You draw it like a black hole," MacAvoy sighed. He saw Joe's expression close up and raised his hands in defeat.

"There are hotter heads than mine who are screaming at me to not let you leave—"

"I'M NOT A WEAPON!"

"I know, son, I know you aren't. That isn't the only angle to this cockeyed situation." He peered at Joe and saw he had his full attention. "To the other members of the Assembly, we are a mystery and a problem. Our society is much younger than any of theirs was when they were admitted into the Assembly. We're practically barbarians in comparison to some of them. They like mature societies as they add stability. Yet here we are, primitive by comparison, but somehow, we defeated their biggest, oldest, and most powerful member with seemingly minimal effort. Frankly, they're frightened of us, and for now, that is smoothing our way into their ranks. No one wants to personally find out how we did it. They all want to know, but none want direct experience."

"There's no risk—" Joe began, but the General cut him off.

"But they can't be told that. The truth has to remain a secret for the safety of the human race. Even after we've secured our position amongst them and made ourselves accepted Assembly members, the truth must remain untold. Do you understand the scope of what I am asking of you? Do you understand the longevity of this issue?"

Joe blinked at the General.

He... understood. He was being told not to come home. The only true way to keep the secret would be for him to die. Instead, the General was letting him go, but he was telling Joe that returning wasn't an option.

"My parents! Amy!" Joe gasped.

"Are completely safe. The only one who can prove the truth of your existence and abilities... is you." MacAvoy said with a deep sigh. He looked into Joe's troubled eyes and felt a deep pain in his chest at the injustice heaped once more on this decent young man. He'd directly saved the lives of every living being on the planet and, subsequently, countless others rescued from red-flagged worlds. Yet he was considered by the authorities on his own planet to be too much of a liability to be allowed to live.

"Safa?"

"Her research on you has been seized and secured. She's unhappy about that but understands its importance and how it protects her and you. She's been given other assignments to keep her keen mind occupied for years."

"What about Waechter, Bergstrӧm, & Volkov? They have evidence, too."

MacAvoy smiled as he recalled his meeting with the wily lawyer the previous night. "Christof and I are the only reason the option of your leaving is even possible. The man is a brilliant lawyer and one hell of a chess player. His partners are equally good."