Wanders Ch. 01

Story Info
A ride along the canal and into the uncertain future.
9.7k words
4.55
16k
9
4

Part 1 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 06/12/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's note -

This is the opening chapter in an ongoing series of character studies. The first part centers on an older attorney who is trying to escape the world of corporate law and a young, newly graduated art teacher who is discovering the world. This is not a stroke story; of course, this being Lit, there are some sexy scenes.

All characters are over eighteen years of age and are fictional. While some places may be geographically correct, what takes place is fictional.

-------------------

Ru, my sweet little puppy, at long last, we are on our way. (As a footnote, Ru is an 85 pound trained Beligun Malinois who is more a minder than anything else.) I've one more set of conferences to finish, and then old boy, we're free. Or at least, that's my hope. Then, we can wander along the back roads and see where they go. Is this the last stop or the first stop of our voyage? I suppose both. After this, after Buffalo, the daily structures should begin to fall aside. Except, of course, for the Monday phone call back home with the old team in the office.

Parking the beast at the client's practice facility and opening the door was the excuse for Ru to fly out and see a new world. As had become his latest habit, he had to be the first out the door whenever the camper stopped. Then go around sniffing so he could leave his calling card telling everyone that he had arrived.

"Neil! Damm, man, it is so good to see you here. I was worried that we would get some kid fresh out of kindergarten to do this meeting. What's with this? I heard that you are pulling out to follow other avenues. And, who's your little friend there?"

"Hey Carl, it's good to see you too my, old friend. Ru? Go, say hello to Carl. Actually, Ru is a wolf hiding as a lap hound. Unfortunately, given the untoward events of the last couple of years, my fellow partners demanded that I have a minder. Ru's a compromise. He's my new bestie. Can we say that Ru will make believers out of the faithless?"

Ru! Leave Carl alone. He is not another lap you can camp out on.

"Carl, if I know you and I do. You know where the coldest beer is to be found within a hundred miles of here. Let's go, and I'll bring you up to speed."

"You never change, do you, Neil? Maybe with this little mutt of yours, you might stay out of trouble. But I am not betting on that. By the way, how much does that thing tip the scale at, and what is it?"

"Well, Ru thinks he is a lap dog. He just happens to hit the scales at around 85 lbs or so. He's a Malinois who is trained as a service/protection dog. Most of the time, he'll try to get in your lap and demand attention. But, if, for whatever reason, he alerts, I need to take notice immediately. He'll lock his eyes on whatever he perceives as a threat, and there then is a very low growl. At that moment, I have five seconds to stop him and tell him to sit. Or issue the attack command. If he launches, he will want to sit on your face."

"Damm, Carl. You did it again! You found the coldest beer out there. OH! Miss? Could my little friend here get some water, please? He's not old enough to drink beer, so it's water for him."

"Sure," the sound of a delightful giggle was clearly heard, "I'll be back in a moment."

When Ru saw the waitress heading back our way with a plastic bucket, he immediately sat up. Ru, sit and don't you start flirting with our waitress. "Here you are, Ru. OH? Ru, you can flirt with me anytime you want to. I bet you're a nicer flirt than most of the guys around here. Besides, you're a nice little puppy, aren't you?" With that Ru, started to nuzzle and sniff the waitress' fingers.

"Lady? Watch out, you about to get the biggest kiss you've ever gotten in life."

"Ru? Will you give me a kiss, Ru?"

"Neil! You done lied to me yet again. Some people just can't change. They are born liars. You said that dog was a guard dog. Hell, it's a damm lover. Anyway, what's going on?"

"All right, for the past year, I've been stepping aside. I have been unwinding and moving many projects and clients to associates of the firm and my team. I will be keeping three clients, with you and the Player's Association being one as I move away from day-to-day activities. So you and your association will notice no changes. The only difference is where my phone is physically located when you call. For thirty years, I have not taken a real vacation. I am officially on vacation after this week. I will remain a partner in the firm and will continue to function in that role."

"I seem to recall you have yourself a very nice fishing boat that you go up and down the Eastcoast with. Well, you saw my boat earlier this afternoon. Before it is all said and done. I will have gone to Lubec, Maine, the easternmost point in the country, to watch the sunrise. Then wandered down to Key West, the southernmost point in the country, and watch the sunset. Up to Point Barrow in Alaska and anywhere in between. Somewhere along the line, I will find the westernmost point as well. I have a fully equipped office set up on the bus. I know things will come up that demand that I step back and address issues. But, for me, the good thing is I have all my cameras are there so I can indulge myself in my hobby as a landscape photographer. I'll be keeping the condo in the city, and sometime in the future, I will build out the lot I have on the Gulf Coast. At least that's the plan, but of course, that is subject to change."

"Excuse me, Miss. Could we get another pair of these wonderfully cold beers, and if there's a hamburger to had, could you add on as well?"

Ru? Would you like a hamburger too? I bet you would. Am I right, Ru? Of course, that question was met with a thunderous volley of barks and happy tail waggings. Hamburgers are his special treat, along with his bones that he loves to chew on. "Oh? Miss. Could the puppy get a raw hamburger too?"

When Ru saw our lovely waitress headed back our way, he immediately sat up and started to track her every step. Ru! Sit! Behave yourself!

"Lady, watch out. That damm dog is a certified flirt. Each and every time he sees a lovely young lady, he goes into hyperflirt."

"Mister, he should hold classes on how to be a flirt. Wait a minute, you're Carl Johnson, aren't you, and I've seen you somewhere before too? Haven't I?"

"Yeah, you have possibly seen us. Carl is the Player's Association president. Yes, he played a little ball for the team across the street on their way to a championship ages ago. Over the years, Carl and I have worked together."

"Young Lady, this is a delicious hamburger. It's juicy like it should be.."

"Well, thanks, I'll tell my uncle. He runs the kitchen, and my aunt handles the front of the restaurant. They just opened the place about three months ago, and I've been helping out while I finish school."

"Could I speak with your aunt for a minute when she's available? I have a question for her."

"Carl, I will need a place for meetings next week. So you are renting the patio here in the afternoons for me for the week. You will pay these good folks a rental fee of ten thousand dollars. In turn, you pass the rental fee back to the firm. That way, you can say that the Player's Association supports local business."

"Hi? My niece, Kat. Said you gentlemen have a problem? How might I be of help?"

"There is no problem at all, ma'am. This gentleman is Carl Johnson, and he is president of the Player's Association. I'm Neil Terrell, one of the association's attornies. We would like to rent your patio area here for the next five days, from two to five in the afternoon. The association will pay you two thousand dollars a day for rent. Would you be interested?"

"Are you for real? Ten thousand dollars? Hell, for that price, I'll toss in a burger bar as well."

"No, ma'am, please don't do that. I'll be having the new players attending rookie camp coming here to talk with me. I want their attention. Some of them have been reading their own press clippings and think they are the next best thing and very entitled and privileged. They aren't. They don't need their egos fed; they have gotten enough of that."

Then are we agreed? Do you have a standard rental form we can sign now? Then Carl will give you a check."

"Hi, Ru! It's so good to see you again, sweetie." To which Ru gave Kat a warm and loving volley of barks as a greeting. "I have the deck set up with some ice water in pitchers. Is that all you want? Really? Could I ask, what this about?"

"Sure, as you may know, the team is holding rookie camp this week. These kids have been told repeatedly how wonderful they are and that the world is their oyster. Well, they got their balloon popped this morning. We'll see how many heard the bang by those who show up here this afternoon. The rest of the week, they will be led in by their mentors. Neil? You and I have done this exercise for how many years now? Every year I hope it goes smoother, but it never does."

"Kat? Thank you for all the kindness you have given Ru and me this past week. For sure, it was interesting at times."

"OH? Is that what it was? Interesting?"

"Kat, I always put the best face on everything. So, yes, I will say interesting. As a way of thanking you, would you join us for brunch tomorrow? Carl doesn't know it, but he's picking up the bill for once. OH? Kat? If you really want the real straight story, talk with Cathy, Carl's wife. She will be here tomorrow too."

"That, I want to hear. What time and where. I have to work here at 1:30."

"Does 11 at the Shelburn Inn work for you? The four of us will be in the dining room waiting for you?"

"Wait a second, Ru's going to be there too? How is he doing that?"

Chuckling a bit. "Oh Ru, will be formally attired in his vest. You've seen the bright green vests that say, Service Dog, do not approach?"

"Is he really?"

"Yes, he is, otherwise he is a flirt."

Sunday morning found the four of us standing in line when up breezed a most remarkable looking Kat. Damm, she is a beautiful woman. Her long flowing red hair that sets off those green eyes should have set all kinds of warning bells off. But the only thing that went off was Ru's greeting his newest girlfriend as he started to jump up to greet Kat.

"Since these two bone heads have forgotten what few manners their Momas taught them ages and ages ago. I'm Cathy. Carl's decidedly much better half. I do feel sorry for you having to put up with the Bozo twins last week. That's a burden not many can bear."

"Carl, my brother? How years ago did I tell that getting hooked up with that evil witchy woman was a bad idea?"

"Well, it's been almost thirty-odd and beautiful years and four kids later. But, Neil, she is a wonderful lady who is my greatest treasure. It's just that you bring out the witchy in her. Maybe if you had learned some table manners. You might have gotten lucky and discovered a lady along the way."

"Kat? You see, my so-call friends have deserted me, and you, you young Lady, are stealing my damm dog. So I am doomed to wander about as a lonely old man now."

Cathy leaned over and gave me a very motherly hug, "Kat, I am warning you. Don't it, don't involved with these people. They are nothing but trouble, and those two are worst of the worst. The Bozo twins."

That's how it went, my closest and oldest friends beating me up all through brunch. Finally, as we left the Inn, Kat took my hand in hers, leaned over, and kissed my cheek. "Thank you, I hope I will see you again."

"Young Lady, that you can bet on. I was planning to stop in this evening to get a burger and beer after losing my evil friends."

"Should be slow tonight, so we can chat for a bit. Bye Ru, see you tonight, sweetie?"

Oh, Ru, you look so much better without your silly vest on. I'm glad your Daddy didn't get you all dressed up to come to see me.

"Kat, I've never seen your place empty."

"Well, it's Sunday night, and folks here stay home with their families then."

"I have a feeling that things are going change for your aunt's and uncle's business. Rookie camp ended yesterday, and everyone headed out except for the few that live here year-round. The vets have been looking for a quiet place to have a beer and burger from the talk I heard. They will be back here. If they are here, people will follow them. So, your folks better get ready to do some business."

"Anyway, I want you to know you looked totally amazing today at brunch. That and you young Lady have someone new on your side, Cathy's totally taken with you. Your genuine warmth swept her away. That and you are absolutely unpretentious,"

"Neil, I swear, I did nothing extraordinary; I'm just me."

"Kat, you no idea of the people Carl and I met. But, you are the one the which breaks all the rules. You are genuine, honest, and very plain-spoken. Do you know you are the very first woman, besides Cathy, that has ever told Carl or even me to shut up and made it stick?"

"I was just kidding around with you guys, trying to fit in with all of you. I like all of you guys. You know that, right?"

Ru? What am I going to do with these people?

"Kat, to me, you are an amazing woman. You are simply the most complex woman I've met. I'm drawn to you in ways I don't recall any woman doing in, well, forever. If I were local, I'd be here until I got thrown out, but I'm not local. I have, hell, we both have, a series of commitments that we both to honor in the coming weeks. You must finish college and graduate. I, too, have commitments that will take me to Vermont and Ohio over the next four weeks. I hope Ru and I will be welcome to attend your graduation."

"Neil, you and Ru are welcome anytime. But yes, I hope you both will be here for my graduation. I have worked hard for this for years, and this is important to me."

Reaching over and taking her hand in mine, "thank you, Lady. We will both be here, and if I don't miss my guess, both Cathy and Carl will be here as well. You know that Cathy likes you a lot and hopes to become your friend?"

"Kat, I am heading out in the morning. This is my business card, on the back is my cell phone number. I pray that you call me."

"Neil, can I call you every day? Would that be all right? I don't know, this is a new world to me, and I want to stay in contact with you."

"Lady, we will talk at least once a day, if not more. Ru and I will be back here the Friday before your graduation. That is a promise." As I slowly got to my feet, I found myself wrapped inside the most awesome hug I ever had. At that moment, I knew this was where I wanted to be, and she was the one I wanted to be with.

"Kat? We will talk. We both have a lot to think about over the next four or so weeks. We see each other then see what's next."

When I headed out on this journey, I said I wanted quiet time to reflect, look around, and see what's there. That week in Buffalo showed me. For the first time in ages, I met someone who came into my life and filled me with light and warmth. Damm, I missed her, and the truth be told, I know Ru did too. Phone calls are OK, but I missed seeing those dancing green eyes, those you don't get on a phone call. Thank god, Ru and I will be back in Buffalo tomorrow.

I have no idea how many photos I took of Flo, Herman, Kat before or during graduation but, I filled three SD memory cards. After the graduation exercise, there was supposed to be a little gathering at Flo and Herman's place. Well, that kind of grew. What had been planned as a few friends toasting the new graduate became a couple of hundred new friends congratulating Kat on graduating. Carl and Cathy were there, along with many of Herman and Flo's many new customers. In the middle of the hurricane, Kat walked over to me and took my hand, then whispered in my ear as she held my hand. "I missed you." After that all too a brief moment, she was dragged off to speak with another group of well-wishers.

No sooner had Kat disappeared into the crowd again than Cathy slipped up beside me. "Neil! You need to decide what you are going to do. Kat loves you. That's written all over her face whenever she sees you. To top it off, old man, you love her too. That is plastered on your face too. So, what are you going to do?"

"Cathy, for the first time in ages, I do not have a clear vision of what's next."

"Neil! That's what life is about, being willing to trust your gut and not your head. You have less than an hour to make up your mind about what you will do. Do you take hold of that lovely Lady's hand and step out onto center stage together? Or do you quietly slip on down the road? Your choice, Neil?"

As Cathy predicted, within the hour, almost everyone had left. At last, I had the opportunity to talk with Kat. "I have an idea for you Kat. You and I need time for us. I plan to drive along the Erie Canal stopping, off in as many little towns as there are. Ending in Albany in a couple of weeks. Then, I want to head down the Hudson toward Hyde Park, Poughkeepsie, and ultimately Key West. The question is, would you like to join Ru and me on this voyage?"

"Neil? Give me thirty minutes to get packed, and I am ready to go. Does that answer your question? I need to do is grab a couple of pairs of jeans and shorts, a few tops and t-shirts, some personal items, and a pair of sandals or two, and I am ready. I'll make you a bet. I saw Cathy talking with you earlier, at the same time, my Aunt Flo pulled me aside. What do you bet those two told us both the same thing?"

"Kat, I know you are right. If you were to ask your uncle who runs the show, bet you he will happily point at your aunt. I know what Carl will say, that he is damm glad to have Cathy' guide' him. Kat, you have a great role model in your aunt. Let's go to Albany."

Kat talked with her aunt and uncle about our planned trip along the canal. This conversation was something she did on her own. Aunt Flo took Kat by the hand and lead her away as Uncle Herman walked over to me. Ru? Where are you, buddy, when I need you? As Herman approached, he reached out his hand and said, "Thank you, Kat has been miserable these past four weeks. If I don't miss my guess, she will be back downstairs before you, and I can finish this beer."

Ten minutes later, Ru jumped up and started wagging his tail madly as Kat came back with a backpack slung over one shoulder. "You ready to start this voyage?" With that, the three of us headed off into the night together.

"Neil! That thing is huge!"

"It's a 44-foot Class-A camper. I guess it's more a glamper. I had it custom built so I could park it out in the back end of nowhere for a week or more without having to head back to get water and fuel. It has all the latest electronic aids and whatever on it."

Ru, camper. I opened the car door, and he took off like a shot. Running around the camper, sniffing, and looking for something. "Let Ru go and do his look around." When he was satisfied, he went over and sat by the door to welcome us home.

"What did Ru just do?"

"Well, Ru is a welcoming committee for any unwanted visitors that might be hanging around."

"Kat, Malinois are an unusual breed. They are very loyal, no protective of their people. Kat, you are one of his people. He will remember anyone who is a friend, which is a lot more than I can say for myself. You want to see something funny, watch how he greets your aunt and uncle the next time we are together. Anyway, how do you like my little bus?"

"Little bus? Really? What doesn't this thing have?"

"Well, let's go explore and see what's here you need to be comfortable?"

As the door opened, Ru flew up the stairs and disappeared into the bus. Then he reappeared at the door to welcome us home. "If he had discovered a visitor, there would have been some screams. I told you I had a minder. Now you begin to see what I meant. He keeps the boogie men away. Shall we go explore?"