Wanders Ch. 03

Story Info
A long ride down a rocky road going home.
12.8k words
4.54
5.2k
2
3

Part 3 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 06/12/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's note -

Welcome back to the world of Ru, Kat, and Neil as they come to grips with changes in their world. I hope you enjoy the ride along the back roads.

This story is not a stroke story; of course, there are some sexy scenes, this being Lit.

All characters are over eighteen years of age and are found only in my imagination. While some places may be geographically correct, what takes place is fictional. Let me restate a plea if you have an interest in helping out on this series. I do need an editor and beta readers. Would that be you? If so, please reach out to me.

-------------------

"Baby? Wake up; the Shelburn is just around the corner."

"UHHH, what? Are we there already?" A long slow stretch topped off with a yawn that might have consumed our bus followed as Kat tried to move. "Neil, nope, I'm going back to my dreams, later baby." With that, my imp closed her eyes and released a huge snore. "Tell everybody I said hi, but I don't want to play now."

"Besides, Mister Neil Terrell, you are still on my shit list along with all your other evil friends. None of you shitheads are nice people. But, being with you in the park yesterday was great. So? Maybe I might forgive you. Neil? You know that you are the captain of my boat and that I do love you. Now, old man, drive around the block again! I don't want to play with those other nasty evil people. Niters."

"Baby? We're here."

"I'm not; I'm still asleep. Go away" Ru bolted to the door as the bus rolled to stop, so he would be the first off so he could go outside to explore. He dashed around the bus and marked all four corners telling his world that he was here and this is his space. After finishing with that bit of serious business, he dashed over to greet my fellow evil conspirators with friendly barks as his tail wagged madly. "Hi, folks. It seems that we are on the Princess's shit list. A special place she has for people who she sees as having entered into conspiracies against her."

That greeting was met with a chuckle from Uncle Herman and Carl, who called out. "Welcome to my world, bro. Ya know the good thing about being on the shit list? You don't have to worry about getting on the list. Your there; you made it to the top. So tell ya what, park this beast and meet my new best friend and me in the bar, my buddy Herman and we will get a bottle or two of wine." While I thought that was an excellent idea and the expression on Herman's face showed his agreement, the ladies seemed to voice a different opinion. The ladies had a suggestion for us, that if we ventured into the bar. We might be sleeping on either the floor, the bottom of the river, or with a dog. Damm, these women didn't have a sense of humor.

Something I didn't know until that instant was that Kat had gotten up and was now standing behind me. Note to self, always check your six. Kat blew past me as she left the bus and went over to join Cathy and her aunt. Seeing my girl with them, two of the women who meant the world to me. Again got me to see what a different world I lived in now. When Ru and I began this trip, my idea was to slip quietly along back forgotten roads. Today, my steady navigator has her eyes fixed on the North Star.

I had to laugh as Ru danced merrily under the ladies feet as he greeted his girlfriends. Then, looking over at Carl and Herman, I muttered, "ya know, guys, maybe we should learn a lesson from Ru. The three of us are once again on the shit list. While Ru there gets all the love and attention from all three of our women."

Then it happened, "Herman! Come here! You need to see what the prime shit head has done!" With that invitation in hand, he slinked over to his wife, who was holding Kat's hand. "Can you believe that Neil did this to Kat?" Flo showed Herman Kat's engagement ring, and well, the best thing to say was that it is what it is.

Two bellmen, fortunately, appeared prepared to help get whatever up to our rooms. "Kat? Would you please? Please break away and select what you want upstairs? Then I'll go and park the beast."

"OK, but when you get this land yacht parked, don't even think about going with the other shitheads and hiding out in the bar. Cathy has warned me about what happens when you and our little brother get together in one of those places. And Uncle Herman, you haven't found a glass of cold beer that you could resist. You clowns know where you'll be sleeping if you fail."

Carl and I were left standing together when we heard Kat, "Mom? Dad? There has never been a man in my life like him." With that, Carl gave me a serious look as if to say, man, you are toasted.

Eventually, we all got settled in our rooms. The three women were like birds sitting on a wire, twittering back and forth about the plans for the non-surprise surprise birthday party the next day. The party had gone from a simple gathering of a few friends into a serious dog and pony show. Now it was by invitation only, and the attendees had to be on the guestlist. My only fear was that folks who heard about the party would show up and not be on the list. With that possibility in mind, I decided to park myself close to the door to be sure friends were welcomed when the inevitable happened. Someone wasn't on the list. The only thing I didn't want intruding on the day were photographers. Then again, I'm not a fan of some members of the fourth estate.

After dinner with the seven of us, the Ladies left us, the old grumps, with warnings that we not to consume more than one and only one brandy. And that single glass has better not be an oversize glass. Damm, those women were buzzkills.

Carl looked over at Uncle Herman and asked what he knew about the Shelburn. Herman looked about, then began. "Well, back in the day, this was the social center in our part of the state. But time marches on, and today it's a seasonal place, and truth be told, the Inn is showing its age. The Inn will be like many of the other grand hotels that once lined the river. It will become a distant memory as it falls under a wrecking ball. And that will be a shame. The word on the street is the place could be for sale. Anyway, why do you ask Carl?"

"Herman, cards on the table. I have a close personal connection with the city. I played ball here and grew to love the city and the people. When Cathy and I wanted to get away from all the noise in town, we would come out here and have dinner. Hell, often as not, we would get a room here. Didn't they use to have a golf course behind here? Whatever happened with that, Herman?"

"You have a good memory. Yeah, there was a golf course behind the Inn. Hell, I can remember when I was a kid, they had two courses outback. But today, those are faded distant memory."

"Herman? Do you know who owns the place?"

"Sure do. Do you see the older chap sitting over at the end of the bar? He's Tom Shelburn, and his family put this place up almost a century ago. I heard his kids have no interest in running the Inn. Hell, both his kids left town years ago. With his wife having passed a couple of years ago, Tom's almost treading water. Why? What's your interest?"

"Neil and I have been talking. It seems that we both have a similar interest. Me for reasons my and Neil for his reasons, but we both want a touchstone here. I want to repay the city and the people for all the kindest they showed me and, most importantly, Cathy likes this place. Neil has different reasons, his reasons. I'll let him explain."

"Herman, when I called you and Aunt Flo, the only concern I heard voiced was that Kat would be off somewhere distant and you two wouldn't be able to see her often. Initially, I planned to build a house on some property I have near the gulf coast. Well, Kat has lovingly turned all my plans around. I believe she has an affinity, a love of this part of the world, and I can see why. I planned that I would become less involved with the firm; I'd be semi-retired. Thanks to one client and Carl, who was indirectly responsible for me picking up another new major client along with the business that's there. And in large part Kat. All my plans have changed. With Kat's blessing, agreement and consent, I plan on staying in the midwest for the foreseeable future. We will build a house somewhere outside of Chicago. Where? Kat hasn't told me yet. Then again, I'm not sure she knows all these details."

"Carl, you ready to see if this will roll?"

"Yeah, I'm open to a conversation even though I haven't said anything to Cathy on this."

"Well, brother, neither have I said anything about my thinking to Kat yet. Bet you that the both of us are going have some interesting pillow talk tonite."

"Ya think, it will be just interesting, eh?" Tossed in Uncle Herman. "You boys, just wait until Flo finds out what you two are thinking. Oh shit."

I looked over at Herman and asked if he could introduce us to Tom.

The three of us walked across the bar, and Herman introduced Carl and myself to Tom. Tom almost immediately recognized Carl, as he was something of a local legend. He knew of Tom. Hell, everyone in the restaurant business knows each other. But he didn't know me.

Tom, being an innkeeper, was very gracious and invited us to join him at a table near the end of the bar where here was sitting. No sooner had we sat down than a waiter appeared with four new glasses and a bottle of brandy. At first, the conversation around the table was, as expected, very polite while we all felt each other out. After the first glass of brandy that we shared, Neil let the cat out of the bag, and the conversation changed. Yes, Tom was very interested in discussing the idea of selling the Inn. But he wanted to sell it to someone local who could bring the place back to its former glory. Herman explained my connection to the city, and of course, and everyone in town knew Carl. These facts resolved Tom's concerns about new owners having a local relationship. Carl explained that his degree was in hotel management. He had wanted to find a place that he could renovate and make into a destination for the area. At first blush, the Shelburn fit the bill.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw our ladies had come into the bar. Knowing both Cathy and Kat, and I'd guess Flo as well, they were on a mission. A mission to remind the three of us of our one drink limit.

In a few moments, Tom excused himself after asking who his attorney should contact. I gave him my business card and asked his attorney to call Sally, who would get him the people he needed to talk with my firm and get the ball rolling.

As the three of us finished our brandy, our three lovely ladies made their way over to us. The expressions in their eyes made it clear that we had again returned to our usual place of residence, the shitlist. And likely as not, we would not be sharing our respective Lady's bed that evening.

When they arrived at the table, we stood to greet them as the waiter brought over an additional chair and new glasses. To say we met frosty glares might be a bit of an understatement. But they were willing to sit with us at least. So maybe all is not lost.

I began, "Kat, as you may recall, Aunt Flo had a concern with us getting married. She was worried that we would be off on the other side of the country, and well, she wanted to be able to see you often. Cathy, you and Carl wanted a touchstone here in town." Picking up my glass and taking a small sip of brandy, that earned me a set of frosty glares from all three ladies. I went on. "Well, it seems that we may have a solution, or at least a potential solution, to these problems. Kat? Cathy? Flo? How would you like to be wives of the new owners of the Shelburn Inn?" Given the expression on our Lady's faces. At a minimum, the three of us were out of the dog house. At least for the moment.

"Neil, you may have one last glass of brandy, and then you are going to our rooms."

"You too, Herman. One and only one, then upstairs with you."

Neil tossed his arms in the air, "Cathy, don't even say it. I got the message. One, then upstairs."

Eventually, we all made it safely to our rooms. As the door closed, Kat stood in the middle of the room, looking at me almost quizzically. "Neil! You are simply amazing, that's all. Do you have any other little surprises that you haven't shared with me yet?"

"Well? Kinda yeah. What do you think of this idea? I had planned to transition into semi-retirement, then go here and there on the bus. In time, build a house on the property I have off the gulf coast. Hell baby, I have preliminary plans drawn for that new house. Life has a funny way of changing things around. Kat, you have totally changed my world since we met. I can't say how grateful I am for all you have done for me.

"Anyway, what do you think of these changes? Lady, while I may be the captain, you, my dear, are the navigator. You are the one who tells me where to go. As I believe you know, I will need to be in the office more and more with the case I am involved in moves forward. On top of that, it looks like I have gotten another new major client. And on the business side, a few other things are hanging out there as well. All of which leads me to seriously reconsider my plan to step back from the firm."

"That doesn't begin to talk about us. Kat? You and I are of like minds with what we want. We both want a house full of kids running around chasing a pack of dogs. Simply said, the condo isn't where our dreams will happen. We are going to need a house that we will call our home. A home that you and I will fill with our dreams, our kids, and our dogs. In addition to that, if we buy the Inn, I'm sure you'll want to add some touches there. As will both Cathy and Flo."

"Honey, that's what I see as our immediate future together. How does that work for you?"

"Neil, do I want a passel of kids and a pack of dogs running about, leaving nothing but chaos and noise in their wake? Hell yes. But Neil, I am scared that I have gotten lost in this fairytale. Where's Kat Floyd, the little girl abandoned by the world. The little girl who never knew her parents and ended up on the doorstep of some family members. The girl who fell under the wing of an art teacher. From that safe place who found a path for her life. The girl whose dream is still to teach kids about the world's beauty and how to draw? Neil that is who I am. I am not a fairytale princess dashing around with her knight and his shaggy brown dog with the big pointy ears. I'm Kathleen Floyd, a simple girl who has been swept away into a fairytale. NEIL, I AM SCARED!"

"Now tomorrow, in front of hundreds of people, most of whom I don't know, you want to tell them that we are getting married. Neil, this isn't the world I ever dreamed that would be where I lived. I'm a simple girl who dreamed of being a simple teacher. That's who I am, Neil. Where does that girl fit into the world you are creating and the dreams you are spinning so lovingly?"

"Neil, where am I going? Who am I? What became of Kathleen Floyd? I am a simple art teacher. That is who I am, Neil. Not a princess."

"My Lady, I've been there too. But, before we make any decisions, will you talk with the wife of an old friend of mine? She might be able to help you find some answers to your questions. Sandy Willamson and her husband Charlie are close old friends, likely closer to me than Cathy and Carl are."

"Yes, Neil, I'll talk with her. But I don't see where this can go."

"Kat? In no way do I want you to feel like this is set up or stage-managed. This conversation will be between two women who don't know each other but surprisingly share lots in common.."

"Let me make a phone call and see if Sandy might be able to come here in the morning. But for now, you and I won't be going to Uncle Herman's party tomorrow afternoon. As unfortunately, I have gotten a 24-hour bug and can't move. What happens next or where we go, well, is open. I will defer to your wishes; Kat, I want you to be happy regardless. If being happy means we go on different roads, then that is what it is to be. That is not what I want, but I will accept your decision."

I slept on the sofa in the suite's living room that night while Kat slept in the bedroom. That felt so strange not being able to reach out and find her next to me. Dawn found Ru and me in the living room. Quietly I got up and dressed and went outside with Ru to take in the new day. We walked around, at last, finding a bench in front of the Inn. Parking ourselves there, looking out into the morning, while I sat there contemplating a world without her. Not wanting to go back to Chicago or to keep on this endless trip. Maybe I'll go to Bird's Nest and watch the creek flow behind the house.

I knew I must go Chicago and wrap things up and cut those ties. Then get on the bus with Ru and go to Bird's Nest. Funny name for a town that's to become my hiding place. I can live on the bus while they build my refuge. Who knows, maybe I can set up a little tax practice there to keep me busy.

Into this morose dawn, a hand softly rested on my shoulder. "Excuse me, sir, but is a cup of coffee to be found at this place of gloom and doom?"

"SANDY! Thank you, thank you for coming!"

"Neil, you know that neither Charlie nor I can say no to you even though you are a total blockhead. You are an excellent attorney, an amazing deal maker, but you are also, like Charlie, a social disaster; but, most of all, you are a friend. Now tell the short story of what is going on." I told Sandy the highlights of our history together. "Neil! Good for her. You are a total clodhopper. You and your friend stay here, and don't either of you two idiots move an inch."

Three, no four hours later, my phone rang, it was Kat. To say I was scared shitless to answer the phone was an understate. "Neil, get Mrs. Willamson a room." Which, of course, I did, then I returned to my vigil on the bench. Now and then, I reached down softly, scratched Ru's ear, or patted him on the head, which resulted in him nuzzling my foot. The funny thing was that Ru had hardly left me all morning; usually, he would run around here and there exploring but not this morning. An hour and a half later, my phone rang, and again it was Kat calling. She told me that Cathy, Aunt Flo, and Sandy were about to leave for the party together. And that I had fifteen minutes to get my fat ass upstairs, get in and out of the shower and also run a razor over my face, get dressed, and meet Carl and the birthday boy downstairs in the bar. She instructed me that just because I was going into the bar did not mean I could have a drink either here or at the party. Then the three of us men with Ru would go to the party together.

I had walked into meetings many times before when I had no idea what was going to happen. But this, this was totally new to me. I felt like I was trying to feel my way away around a maze blindfolded.

When I hooked up with Carl and Uncle Herman, they didn't know what was going on either. But for damm sure, we did not have anything to drink, not even a glass of water.

When we got to Flo and Herman's place, Ru almost immediately went on alert. He was always edgy when we had been around many people he didn't know, and hundreds of people were here. Finally, our ladies and Sandy came over and politely acknowledged us briefly. When Ru saw Kat, he relaxed a bit. In a few moments, both Carl and Herman went off together to speak with folks they knew. I found a folding chair and sat down while Ru curled up next to me. The two of us were very much outside of the social swirl taking place on the patio. Kat, Aunt Flo, Cathy, and Sandra were all surrounded by a gaggle of women. I guessed that many of the women were either folk's Kat had known in school or women Cathy knew from the Player's Association, or women Flo knew. Carl found a microphone and introduced Herman and Flo as Kat walked over to Ru and me. "Old man, are you going to sit there like a stick in the mud. While you suck your thumb for the rest of the afternoon! Or are you and your damm fuzzy friend there going to get up off your asses. Do you think you might have a few words you might consider saying to these people that would be of interest? Like we are getting married. But I am here to tell you, Mister Neil, you and I need to have a real talk. Now, are you sitting on your ass, or are you getting up? You have about ten seconds to make your mind up."