War of the Races Ch. 17

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What would you have us do about this," I asked, failing to see how I could help in any meaningful way.

"By investigating the land of the bees," Gregr answered, "You are a Druid, a protector of the forest. You should be good at such things as this!"

"Okay," I answered but then turned to Gregr and asked, "If I investigate this for you what do I get as payment in return?"

Gregr looked up at me and then turned and motioned for his fellow councilmen to follow him to a corner where they whispered amongst themselves. Their whispering grew fierce as they debated with each other, and then they all reached a consensus, nodded their heads, and returned to the map table. When they returned Gregr cleared his throat before making his offer, "We...are prepared to offer you anything you want, up to and including any one of our unmarried daughters. We will gather them all in the square and you may have your pick, if that is what you wish."

Huxian placed a hand on my arm, but I didn't need her touch to let me know that she disapproved. Hell, I disapproved! But, I was going to use this to get what I did want, "You're willing to give me anything I want up to and including any of your daughters?" I asked.

The entire council nodded their agreement, and so I asked, "But what if I don't want any of your daughters? What are you willing to do instead?"

"We are simple folk of meager means, my Lord Viridian. We do not possess much of anything of any value other than ourselves and our children," Gregr answered, "However, if it is something we are able to obtain for you, we will, and if it is something we can do for you, we will."

"If that is the case," I answered in a warm purr, "Then I have two requests."

"Two," Gregr asked.

"Two," Frnae the beaver chortled, "We are only asking you to do one request for us. How is this a fair trade?"

Glancing from Gregr to Frnae I simply gestured to Huxian before I replied, "You may only have one request, but you are asking the both of us to go investigate the beehive for you. One, two, seems fair to me."

"Agreed," Gregr answered with a nod, "If our daughters are not what you want from us, then please state what it is that you do want."

"First, I want you to rescind your expulsion of Coella and return her home to her. It is all she has of her father," I answered as I stuck up one finger illustrating that it was my first request, and then I lifted my second finger, "And second, I want you to pass a law for your village that can not be revoked unless it is by a unanimous vote by the entire village that you will never attempt to bribe, sell, or pay for any service, property, or merchandise with your sons or daughters ever again."

As I made my second request, the council's mouths, as a whole, fell open from shock. They stood there in silence as Gregr moved his jaw as if he was trying to make his voice work again, then suddenly he closed it and his lips turned up in a broad smile that quickly broke into a hardy belly laugh as he took a step closer and slapped my shoulder as he wiped tears from his glossy black eyes and said, "Oh my goddess, that is the most remarkable thing I have ever heard. What you propose goes against all of the so-called commonsense of this world for the last six thousand years. But, I like it! Finally, someone who is willing to take a stand for freedom. Not just for yourself, but rather for those that are the smallest among us, the weakest, and most often the easiest and readily enslaved or abused."

"My thoughts exactly," I agreed, "Where there is only freedom for the strong, there is no freedom at all because there is always someone somewhere that is stronger. Freedom, true freedom, empowers the weak to become strong, and the strong to be weak. It allows people to live the way they want to live, think, and express their thoughts and opinions, even if the majority of society may disagree, without fear of reprisal or imprisonment. That is to say freedom allows us to pursue our dreams of a better and happier life, but never at the expense of another's life or freedom because they too must have the same freedoms that everyone else enjoys.

"Well said," Gregr agreed as the rest of the Council started clapping and nodding their agreement as well, "Then if this is truly what you want as payment, then we will make all the necessary arrangements while you are out on our request."

"That will be fine," I agreed, "But before we leave, I ask if Huxian and I may eat first. She will need meat, as rare as possible, and I will have anything that is vegetables."

"Of course," Gregr agreed and quickly led us out and back across the square to a small Inn.

As we walked across the square I saw Missus Beaver and Squirrel break from the group and stride over to Coella. They placed their hands on her shoulders and began speaking to her in a soft undertone. They must have explained what had transpired in the Council Hall because she suddenly looked up at me with eyes filled with tears and her expression very open and confused. I gave her a smile and a nod and then I embraced the smells of food and let them lead me to the Inn's dining room.

12