Watching The Detectives Ch. 03

Story Info
Kat ups the ante in her game vs the crooked private dicks.
5.4k words
4.7
803
1
1
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

--- CHAPTER THREE - DOUBLE TROUBLE---

Kat walked into Kramer & Stein to find a new girl at reception. She introduced herself and walked in as if she owned the place, earning a scowl from the young woman. It took Kat several minutes to make her way through the office as she was stopped by former co-workers wanting to catch up. Nearly every woman gave a version of the same comment.

"Maybe you could stop by more than quarterly," scolded Marjorie. "We miss you."

Janice joined the chorus. "You say you're bored and have too much time on your hands, but not enough time for us?"

"Okay, okay. I get it," said Kat. "I promise I'll visit more often." She leaned in to whisper. "Who are these people?"

Janice rolled her eyes. "It's been a revolving door since Mr. K. retired. We've lost a few girls in accounting, two in paralegal, and two associates."

"Karen is our third receptionist this year," Marjorie added.

They didn't have to explain why K&S was losing staff. Jacob Kramer was the glue that held the team together. Everyone loved Mr. K. Under Abe Stein's leadership, it was just another office job. The girls small-talked another minute before Kat got down to business, the reason she popped in for a visit.

"Is Scotty in today?" Kat asked. "I have business with my baby brother."

Janice pointed toward a long hallway. "He moved into Mike Baker's old office. He's studying for the bar."

"It's about time." Kat smiled as she started down the hall. "I'll catch you on the way out."

"Knock, knock." She poked her head around the door jam.

"Oh my god, look who's here!" Scotty sprung from behind his desk and moved in for a hug. "You haven't come by in months. What the hell? I miss you."

Scott Panzek and Kat had started at K&S the same summer, fifteen years ago. When she joined the accounting department as a fresh college graduate, he started as a part-time intern while studying criminal justice at Duquesne. When Scott graduated two years later, he had a full-time position waiting for him. In those early months, Kat the new girl on the paralegal team, and Scott a college intern, became fast friends. Over the years they worked closely investigating the same cases.

Three years later, when Mr. Kramer offered Kat the opportunity to attend law school at the University of Pittsburgh, he extended the same offer to Panzek. He respectfully declined. Scott had married early in college and started a family soon after. Law school would have to wait, but he was a damn good paralegal investigator.

Kat pulled back from their embrace and looked her office brother in the eyes. "I miss you too. I'll make a deal with you. Do me a small favor, and I'll come by more often. I promise."

"You don't waste time, do you?" Scott laughed. "Right to business, no bullshit." He waved his hand over a chair opposite his desk. Kat sat on the edge, knees together, to her side. She rested her white purse on the lap of her light blue skirt.

"How's Wendy and the kids?"

Scott sighed. "They're a handful, but doing fine. Life is busy."

"It must be." Kat smiled. "You're losing your hair."

"Shut up." He smiled as he took his seat. "I was thinking about you the other day."

"I bet you were," she smiled.

"I was recalling how angry you were when Mr. K. demoted you from criminal defense to divorce cases. You were livid. I had never seen you so angry. You almost quit."

"I was hurt as much as I was angry. It wasn't fair."

Scott smiled. "That's what you get for dating the hot young prosecutor. You guys made the news. Remember the headline," Scott fanned out both hands, "Sleeping with the enemy. That was a crazy year."

"Of course, I remember. Are you trying to piss me off?"

"No, I'm not, just reminiscing." He stared at his office sister. "God, I really miss you. What can I do for you, hon?"

"Well, I have a personal problem. I need information. There are few people I can trust to do the job... and keep their mouth shut."

He rubbed his hands together and flashed a mischievous grin. "Oooh, I'm intrigued."

"By few, Scott, I mean you're the only one I can turn to."

"Okay, mum's the word, let's have it."

Kat was embarrassed to say it. "Raymond hired detectives to keep tabs on me."

"What the hell? Did you do something to give him cause?"

"Of course not! Jesus Scott, you know me better than that."

"Sorry. So, it's just the jealousy monster rearing its ugly head."

Kat nodded and explained in precise detail, step by step, what had transpired over the past two months, omitting key details of her charade of infidelity so Scott wouldn't scold her for risky shenanigans. They were like siblings, and Scott was protective of his big sister. Over the years investigating shady people, they had a few run-ins with sketchy characters, and he thought Kat was too pushy for her own good. He wasn't a big man, but Panzek was fit and muscular. Boxing was his game, and Scott had knocked a few men down, in and out of the ring. He listened carefully to Kat's story.

"So," she concluded, "I need you to find out what you can about these ex-cops."

Scott shook his head, smiling in disbelief. "Billy Barnes, Kat!" He paused and leaned in. "Officer. William. Barnes!"

Kat's eyes popped out. "Holy fuck!" She covered her mouth. "I can't believe I didn't see it. Oh. My. God!"

"Have you lost that much off your fastball that you couldn't make that connection? I mean, I get it, it's been fourteen years, but that case was..."

"We were mere minnows in this office pool when that went down." She paused, staring across Scott's desk. "Barnes was decorated for that kidnapping case. Why did he quit the force?"

"The gossip. He was dogged for years by people thinking he had something to do with the abduction. Barnes was ground down by the rumor mill."

"That's crazy!" Kat slapped a hand on her purse. "I heard the rumors but I wasn't dumb enough to believe them."

Again, Scott shook his head. "And I'm not dumb enough to ignore them."

"What are you saying? Do you think he was an accomplice?"

Scott shrugged. "I dunno, but not everyone at PPD believed Barnes' account of the rescue. He was the hero, but there were a lot of unanswered questions in that case."

"What are you talking about? It was an open-and-shut case. They nailed Fonseca."

"Kat," Scott leaned forward, "when the lead detective tried to question Barnes after the rescue, he was shut down."

"By whom?"

"The police chief, but the order came from above him, the mayor's office. They wanted that case closed. The city had been through hell with those abductions, and the mayor wanted a win going into his next election."

"The election was a year away!"

"I'm just telling you what I've been told, but the truth is, many cops think Officer William Barnes knew those men and was somehow involved in that crime."

"Are you saying there was a cover-up?"

"I'm saying there are many unanswered questions, and the lead detective was reprimanded and removed from the case when he refused to back down."

Kat was overcome by an uneasy feeling. She knew the horrific details of the Carol Anne Dwyer kidnapping and the monstrous things done to that girl. The idea that the man following her may have been involved gave her goosebumps. An office girl stuck her head in the door.

"Mr. Panzek. We have that ten o'clock meeting. The client just arrived."

Scott looked at his watch. "I hate when they're early almost as much as when they're late."

"Mr. Panzek," Kat snickered. "Who was that young thing?"

"The newest of too many new girls." He put his hand on his forehead, a gesture of exasperation. "Abe Stein is an asshole. He's making it hard to stay here."

Kat smiled, "I'm happy to hear you're studying for the bar. I'm proud of you."

"Save that for when the scores come in." Scott steeled his eyes. "Listen, Kat. I don't want to creep you out, but I know a lot about that case. I'm from a cop family. My dad, my Uncle Joe, and two cousins always talk about the cases that got away. The Dwyer kidnapping is number one for my dad's generation."

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying there's good reason to think Barnes has something to hide."

"I have a lunch date today, Scotty, but if I come back with lunch another day, can you tell me what you know?"

"If you make that lunch a sandwich from Primanti Brothers, I'll tell you shit you don't want to know."

"So, you really think there's something to those rumors?"

"I know for a fact that Officer William Barnes was friends with the men who kidnapped Carol Anne Dwyer. Is that enough to pique your interest?"

Kat sighed. "Holy shit, I have a psychopath tailing me."

"I know he's a hot head. That boy has anger issues, and he can fight. I knew him from my Golden Gloves days. Barnes tried out for the U.S. boxing team for the '52 Olympics. He didn't make it, but he was damn good. He has hands of stone and a jaw to match."

"Great, he's a psychopath and a brute."

"I have to run, sister." Scott stood up. "I was glad Barnes and I weren't in the same weight class. I did not want to fight him."

"Yes, you better run, brother," Kat smirked, "That sweet young thing alone with a client could be trouble."

Scott hugged her. "Primanti Brothers, I'll have The Capone with cheesy fries and slaw."

"How the hell do you stay skinny?"

"Chasing my four kids around."

Kat stopped and chatted with the girls on the way out, but she was only half present. Her mind was stuck on Billy Barnes - or William Barnes - and the things he may have done. The fact Scott Panzek thought the accusations were credible, was troubling.

'How can I get Raymond to dump these assholes without creating an ugly confrontation with a psycho ex-cop?'

*******

Kat waited in her favorite booth at the Fifth Avenue Grille, a fifties-style dinner with red and gold vinyl decor, like ketchup and mustard. Gloria wasted no time. After a quick peck on the cheek, her lips were moving before her butt slid across the yellow vinyl seat.

"Why haven't you told Raymond about these guys ripping him off?"

"You!" Kat pointed a finger. "I've decided to take your advice and find out more about them before I expose their scam."

"Great, but what do you expect to learn that would change anything?"

"You're the one worried this could blow up in my face, and now you don't like me proceeding with caution? Will you please make up my mind?"

"What's your plan? I don't know what your goal is, besides embarrassing Raymond for being the schmuck he is."

Kat wasn't sure if she wanted to ask her best friend this favor, but she was desperate.

"I want Raymond to fire his detectives without knowing I've been messing with these jerks. I'd like to avoid a blow-up, and the trouble that could cause."

"How are you going to do that?"

"I have a plan, but I need your help."

Kat explained her plan in between her and Glo giving the waitress their lunch orders and delivering beverages.

Glo made a face of puzzlement. "You want me to what?"

"To dress like me, drive my car, and lure the dick away so I can make Raymond suspect they're not tailing me."

"Where will I lead him?"

"I'll give you my typical routine so they're not suspicious. You can have lunch, go shopping, or and whatever you want."

"What if they figure out I'm not you?"

"They won't, because they never get close enough. Even if they did, who cares? There are no stakes here. If they catch us, my plan fails. No one gets hurt."

Glo exhaled. "I don't like this."

"I'll buy you a nice gift. Remember that expensive blouse?"

"You're bribing me? You have no shame."

"Only because I know you have no shame, and that lovely blouse was calling your name."

It took more than a bribe to convince Glo to play dress up. Kat had to tell a tale of how exciting it occasionally is to mess with these men. "It feels like a Hollywood movie with a bad script, but it's fun at times. And I'm offering you a supporting role."

Glo smirked. "And I get to have that cute cop with the nice butt tailing me."

Suddenly, Kat realized her plan to involve Glo had a flaw, the psycho following her friend. She kept that information to herself.

That evening, Kat arrived at Glo's place with an armful of dresses and a handbag filled with heels. With barely a hello, she hastily explained the details of her plan while tossing her dresses on Gloria's bed.

"I'll go to Raymond's office and take him out for lunch. He won't see his men anywhere near us. If he thinks they aren't doing the work he will fire them." She held a dress up to Glo. "That way, I don't have to confront him for hiring them, and maybe he never learns of my sexy charades."

"What if the dicks tell him you've been cheating when he fires them?"

"I have all my receipts from the diner near Billy's place, and the Speakeasy, plus I was very conspicuous. I've built a strong alibi for each day."

"Jesus Kat. These devious plots are kind of scary. Every angle is covered. You could probably plan the perfect crime and get away with it."

"I was a defense attorney long enough to see the mistakes criminals make. So yeah, I'd avoid most of them." She smiled and held up another dress. "Try this one first. We need to make sure we have a costume that fits perfectly. Where's that blonde wig you wore on that date last year?"

Glo suddenly had cold feet. "I don't think I should get involved in this."

"I promise, this is my final play. Please trust me."

"I don't understand why you just can't tell Raymond he's getting fucked by these men, and be done with it."

"Because as you said, he'll lose his temper, confront the ex-cops, and maybe get hurt."

Kat wanted to tell Gloria that Billy was Officer William Barnes and she was afraid he might be a psycho, kidnapper, and rapist, but that news would not convince her to help.

"I need to shift Ray's suspicion from me to his men. Once he loses trust in them, he'll cut ties. Raymond hates being taken advantage of."

Gloria Marsland wasn't as shapely as Kat, but she was close enough. She wasn't as tall either, just over 5'6", to Kat's 5'8". That would be remedied with heels. While Kat was a blonde, Glo was a redhead, in the Ann-Margret hue. Her wig would fix that.

The girls had a couple of beers and played dress up, Glo slipping on Kat's dresses one by one, trying on shoes, and modeling in front of her full-length mirror. They got tipsy and giggly, which helped loosen up Glo. When she slipped on the wig and stood side by side with Kat, their mouths fell open.

"Oh my god," Kat whispered. "We look like twins."

"I don't know about twins," said Glo looking in the mirror, "but sisters for sure."

"We need to tease out the wig. It's a little flat."

Glo turned to face Kat. "When are we doing this?"

Kat shrugged. "Friday would be great. Can you get the day off?"

"That'll work. I can make it a long weekend." She smiled while turning in front of the mirror. "This is gonna be fun. I think this dress will do."

Kat smiled. "It will definitely work."

"Do you wanna do lunch on Thursday?"

"I can't. If I'm having lunch with Raymond on Friday, I'll have to visit Mom on Thursday."

"How's she doing?"

Kat rolled her eyes. "You know, examining my life under her moral microscope and second-guessing every decision I've made for the past twenty years."

"Oh, just the usual Judy Price stuff." Glo smiled. "What dead horse is she beating this week?"

"Exes. She's fixated on the virile young men I could have married."

"Ouch, that's a minefield of pain and regret."

"Tell me about it."

.

.

--- THE EXES --

Kat moved her Friday lunch tradition with Mom up one day to accommodate her body double scheme. Before Kat took her first spoonful of soup, Mom picked up where she left off the week before. She seemed to enjoy reminding her daughter of what might have been; the ones that got away.

"I don't know what happened with Curtis," Mom said ruefully. "He was a good boy. You seemed like a sure thing."

"He dumped me, Mom, fifteen years ago. I'm over it, you should be too."

"It still doesn't make sense."

"It's not complicated. He had a job in Manhattan waiting for him after college and didn't care to have me tagging along. Curt wanted to be a single man in New York City."

"You were talking about marriage, dear. He called it off." Mom snapped her fingers. "Just like that. You were devastated."

"Only for a few weeks. I was fine after graduation."

Mom shook her head. "You were not fine when you came home. You were an emotional mess."

"Can we change the subject, Mom? We've been down this road too many times."

"I think Johnny was the better man."

Kat gave her mother a cold stare. "When I said change the subject, that's not what I meant."

"John should've been the one. You were a lovely couple."

"I wasn't ready to settle down. I was focused on my career. By the time I was ready, his job took him elsewhere."

"It's a shame. I loved Johnny. He was a nice young man, and so handsome."

"He played a role for you, Mom. Johnny was not as sweet as you think."

"There's nothing wrong with a little bad boy." She held her thumb and forefinger close. "Just a little bad is good."

They had this discussion before, and Kat didn't enjoy it, but it was better than getting the grandchild lecture. During their weekly lunch, they sometimes ran out of new things to talk about, so Mom dredged up the old... ex-boyfriends. Usually, the missing grandchild and Kat's ill-suited husband were her go-to topics.

"Ya know," Mom said. "If you told me ten years ago that you'd marry an older man, I never would've believed it. You were so full of life, active and fun."

"Yes, that's called being young."

"I know. This chump wouldn't have stood a chance with you back then. Honestly, I don't know what you see in him today."

"If you recall, Mother. When Raymond proposed to me, you were pretty damn happy I was getting married. You had no problems with Ray. All you saw as a grandchild on the way."

"Pfft," she waved at Kat. "Don't get me started. That seems like a lifetime ago."

"It was two years ago, Mom."

"I'm sorry, dear. He doesn't deserve you. The man is a phony."

.

.

-- 1967 --

More than two years ago, after his divorce was final and half of Raymond's belongings were moved from his Victorian home in Highland Park, Ray showed up unexpectedly at Kramer & Stein. He had just fired his law firm after divorce attorney Katherine Price had taken him to the cleaners. He wanted to hire K&S to handle his legal affairs, business, and personal. If you can't beat 'em join 'em.

When Kat saw Raymond across the office, she tried to avoid him, but he sought her out.

"Miss Price, I hope you realize the accusations my wife made against me were false. You did fine work representing her, but you must know, she lied to you and the court. No hard feelings, divorce is an ugly business."

Katherine was caught off guard. "Umm, okay, the stuff she said didn't seem to connect with what I observed on your side. I mean, people can be chameleons, but I sensed something was off."

Raymond stood tall and proud, making his case. "I think Sandra needed to convince herself, as much as anyone, that I was a monster so she could live with herself after cheating, and to justify the divorce."

"I don't know one way or the other. I had a job to do. We're not paid to psychoanalyze our clients. I'm sorry it was difficult for you. Nothing I did in that case was personal."

"Not personal?" Raymond laughed. "It could not have been more intimately hurtful."

Katherine didn't know what to say. "Again, I'm sorry."

"I just wanted you to understand that her case against me was built on lies." Raymond extended his hand.

Kat shook his hand and then watched him walk away to consult with his new lawyers.

12