Watching The Detectives Ch. 04

Story Info
Scott warns Kat to back off on her snooping into the past...
5.6k words
4.64
766
1
2
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

--- CHAPTER FOUR - OLD BONES ---

After settling into Scott's office with heaping piles of meat and cheese between thick slices of bread, Kat pulled out a legal pad she had been writing her thoughts on in the week since they last spoke, as well as notes from her library visit.

"I had a few beers with my Dad this weekend," Scott said as he removed the paper wrapper on his sandwich. "He gave me a refresher on all the inconsistencies and coincidences that don't make sense to him."

"Can I do this like an interview?" Kat asked. "I have specific questions."

"Sure," Scott said, then filled his face with meat and bread.

"You said the detectives on the case didn't believe Barnes' version of events. Tell me about that."

He held a finger up, chewing, then swallowed. "Yes, one detective in particular, McDonald; he doesn't think Barnes' story adds up.

"Is he still around?"

"He's retired, but I think he's still in town... somewhere."

"You said for certain that Barnes knew the men involved in the kidnapping. How do you know that?"

Scott had another mouthful of capicola and bread. He swallowed again and took a swig of Coke. "Do you know who Leo Spahn is?"

Kat shook her head. "No. Should I?"

"Leo Spahn is Barnes' cousin. He disappeared the day after the rescue. He's connected to the dead man, Walter Mathis. Dead men don't talk, but Spahn was a chatterbox. He was a police informant after getting out of prison."

"What was he in for?"

Panzek smiled wryly. "He's a diddler. Spahn has a history of sex crimes. He was suspended in high school for showing his dick to girls. Then he was arrested for jacking off in a movie theater with a group of girls nearby. Then he was accused of molesting a neighbor's daughter at a party."

Scott took another bite of his sandwich, then continued, talking between chewing.

"Finally, when he was twenty-one, he got busted with a minor. She was his 'girlfriend," Scott made air quotes. "and it was consensual, but he did sixteen months for that."

"Okay, so Barnes' cousin is a creepy piece of shit. How is he connected to Fonseca and the dead guy?" She looked at her notes. "Mathis."

Panzek held a finger up while he sipped his drink. "Walter Mathis has the same rap sheet as Spahn. He did two stints in the pen, indecent exposure, and molestation. People in the neighborhood called him Dirty Wally and told their children to stay clear of him. Leo met Walter in prison."

Kat interrupted. "So, Leo and Wally like young girls. Where is Fonseca in this?"

"Fonseca owned that Homewood duplex and Dirty Wally rented a room from him, and they all drank at the Red Robin Cafe... with Officer Barnes."

Kat made a gross face. "Eww, Billy hung out in that shithole? No one there talks to cops. It's all drug dealers and hookers."

"Strippers, not hookers," Scott corrected Kat.

"I'm pretty sure those strippers are turning tricks."

"Barnes wasn't a regular and he didn't show up in uniform. That's where his cousin Leo hung out, and despite Spahn's sleazy past, he and Barnes were tight. They grew up together. They drank and shot pool."

Scott stopped to take a big bite of meat and cheese while Kat scribbled on her legal pad.

"Why didn't the police put these guys together? They rounded up every pervert in town during that investigation."

"Leo and Wally were picked up and questioned because they had rap sheets, but Fonseca had never been busted. They found all that kiddie porn at his place after the rescue."

"I get it. The duplex was his place, but he was never on police radar."

"Exactly." Scott wiped his face with a napkin. "The last time Leo Spahn was seen in Pittsburgh was the morning after the rescue of Carol Dwyer. He had a liquid breakfast at The Red Robin, used the pay phone, and disappeared later that day. The police never had a chance to question him."

"Do you think Barnes has something to do with his cousin's disappearance?"

Panzek shrugged. "Who knows? Maybe Leo just bugged out of town."

Kat and Scott both took big bites and chewed. She was still annoyed that she never made the connection between Billy and William.

"I can't believe I didn't remember Barnes."

Scott laughed. "He looks like a bum, and there are plenty of Barnes' in town, including a few cops. Law enforcement runs in the family."

"Exactly, so I should have figured that out on my own."

It was no wonder Kat didn't recognize Billy Barnes. Back in '55, he was a clean-cut, twenty-two-year-old rookie cop with detective dreams. Now, in his late thirties, with shaggy hair and a scruffy beard, Billy fit in with the hippies protesting the Vietnam War.

"What is it about Barnes' story that didn't make sense for..." She looked at her notes again. "Detective McDonald?"

"First of all, his testimony isn't backed up by the old lady, Mrs Wojcik. She knew Walter Mathis. He rented the room next door for more than a year. She stated that she never saw Mathis on the front stoop and claims he was in the backyard when Barnes arrived."

"So, he could've come out front."

"She also said Barnes wasn't interested in helping her. He was dismissive, trying to leave, until she mentioned she'd been calling the cops all week. Then he walked straight to Mathis' front door after hearing that, without a word."

"Again, so what?"

"Okay, here's where the speculation comes in. Many believe Barnes knew the girl was in that house, realized they were going to get busted soon, and decided to put an end to it. He gunned down an unarmed man to silence him."

"Speculation is worthless," said Kat. "That and a quarter will get you a cup of coffee."

"Look, I'm just telling you what I know to be true as well as the rumors. From there, you can sift through the muck and decide if Billy is a monster."

"Where's Casey in all this? Do you know him?"

"Of course, I know every dick in town. He retired just before an internal affairs case was about to drop on his head. Casey was a small-time dirty cop, so they didn't pursue his case after he walked."

"Casey was a dirty cop?"

Scott nodded. "Have you met many clean cops in this town?"

Kat nodded. "Yeah, I know a few."

"Few being the keyword."

"Why would Casey take Barnes into his business with this crap hanging over Billy's head?"

Scott sat up and leaned forward. "There were many on the force who questioned Barnes' version of events. He was blackballed, but you'll never get any cop to admit that on record. Casey was not among them. He thought Barnes got railroaded. Billy's path to detective was blocked."

"Okay, good. Arthur Casey has nothing to do with this case." Kat knew Art was crooked, but she sort of liked him after observing him with his daughters.

"Not that I'm aware. Casey was on the take, filling his pockets like many cops. The thing that caught up to him was missing evidence. There were two cases where key pieces of physical evidence disappeared before trial. They were about to pin one on him, so he quit and started his business."

"Okay, where are you on this, personally?" Kat leaned closer. "Do you think there's something to these rumors about Barnes?"

"I think there are questions that need answers."

.

.

--- AUGUST 1969 --

After lunch with Scott Panzek, Kat couldn't get the Dwyer kidnapping case out of her head. Her thoughts had shifted from her marital problems and detective tails to a case long forgotten by Pitsburghers. She didn't sleep that night. She tossed and turned and churned the facts and rumors of the case until 2:38 when she finally gave up on sleep. Kat put on her robe, tip-toed downstairs, pulled out her legal pad, and went over her notes.

William Barnes / hero

Walter Mathis / shot dead

Leo Spahn / missing

Victor Fonseca / convicted

Did Barnes know the girl was there?

Detective McDonald / removed from the case.

The investigation was shut down by the mayor's office

'There has to be someone else involved,' she thought, while sipping a warm glass of milk. 'The police wouldn't let an accomplice in their ranks escape justice, would they? The connected get protected in this town, but Barnes had no political ties. He's nobody. And what about Victor Fonseca? I forgot to ask Scott; why would that creep take twenty-five years in prison and not implicate Barnes? There are too many questions. Does Raymond know he hired a lunatic to follow me? Probably not, I married an idiot.'

*****

Driving to the Monongahela Lounge to meet with Glo for happy hour, Kat saw Art in her mirror. She was instantly annoyed.

'What the hell must I do to lose these jackasses?'

At the bar, the girls made small talk. When the bartender came over to take their drink orders, Kat noticed two men looking their way. She made eye contact. One of them smiled. Kat hated to ask another favor, but it was clear one lunch date wasn't enough to convince Ray his private eyes were slacking on the job. Gloria enjoyed playing the body double, but she also worried these shenanigans might play out poorly.

"I need a favor," said Kat. "I want you to play body double again."

"No, I'm not doing this anymore," Glo said emphatically. "You're gonna get hurt."

"You need to get Billy off me one more time," Kat pleaded. "I promise you, it's the last time."

"That's what you said last time. And what good will one more stunt do? You've already proven these men are crooked morons, including Raymond."

"I need to convince Ray these guys aren't doing the work he's paying for. I promise." Kat put her hand on Glo's forearm. "If you pose as me one more time, this Friday, there will be no more games. I promise."

Glo inhaled, and let out a sigh. "I don't know if I can get the day off."

"Can you try?"

"If you lie to me, so help me god." Glo held up a first.

"Please, I'd kick your ass." Kat smiled. "Thank you. I owe you."

"I still don't have that blouse hanging in my closet."

"Don't worry," Kat nodded. "After this, I'll buy that and a skirt to go with it."

"You know what you can do for me?" Glo put her hand on Kat's. "When this is over, confess to Raymond that you knew about his men all along. Tell him everything and make sure he knows what a goddamn fool he is. And I want to be standing there when you do it."

"What happened to you being afraid for my safety?"

Glo sipped her gin and tonic. "We can take him, two against one. Ray may be a hot head, but I don't think he's that tough." She winked. "I'd like to kick him in the nuts."

Kat nodded. "That fight he started proved he was no tough guy."

Glo eyes widened. "I still feel the stress of that day. That's why I worry about you. If he's capable of violence in public, what might he do in the privacy of your home?"

"He's not like that." Kat waved a dismissive hand. "No men are ogling me at home."

"Pfft," Glo set her cocktail glass down. "Not even your husband. This game of cat and mouse you're playing, you must end it now!"

"I will. I just want to make it stop without Raymond losing his cool and going after them. I hate what he's doing, but I don't want him to get hurt."

"Fuck Raymond," Glo said too loud. "I don't want you to get hurt." She leaned forward. "Don't look now, but I think you have an admirer at the end of the bar."

Kat took a sip of her beer. "Pfft. No thanks. The last thing I need is another man in my life."

.

.

--- CHAMELEON ---

On Friday, the girls played round two of Double Trouble. This time, Ray knew she was coming to lunch. Kat had given him notice, figuring he'd welcome the chance to see if Billy the Kid was on duty. Ray did not disappoint. He stared out his office window for thirty seconds before they left. She purposely selected a restaurant that required a long walk. Ray rubbernecked for six blocks on the way to the Downtown Tap & Grill. They sat on the outdoor patio on a warm sunny day on First Street where he had a good view of traffic.

"What is wrong with you? Do you not like having lunch with me? You were the same last week, distracted, staring off in the distance."

Ray didn't answer. He looked towards Ross Street and then back to Grant Street.

"Raymond!" Kat pretended to be upset. "Are you listening to me?"

"Yes, I hear you. Sorry."

"Seriously, if you don't want to have lunch with me, just say so."

"No, this is fine. I just have a lot on my mind, work stuff."

Sitting there, quietly eating her club sandwich, watching the dolt gawk in all directions, Kat wondered what it was about Raymond that she found attractive. Sure, he was handsome, but she couldn't imagine being more emotionally unsuited.

An hour later, Arthur Casey had some explaining to do. "Look, the last time out when the kid saw she was going to your office, he backed off and stayed with her car. There's no reason for him to watch her with you. When she came back to the car, he was waiting for her. I'm sure he did the same thing today because it's the right play."

That was a perfectly reasonable explanation, but Casey was bullshitting, covering for Billy, and it didn't satisfy Ray. "The next time my wife and I have lunch, I want to see my money at work, got it?

"Okay, Mr Landry, you're the boss."

Lying in bed that night, unable to sleep, as Ray snored two feet away, she made a mental list of their marital problems, starting with him not trusting her and his irrational jealousy. They hadn't had sex in months, not that she wanted to fuck him. That ship had sailed. Maybe that's why he suspected she was cheating. They shared no hobbies and had no common friends, and the twelve-year age difference led to misunderstandings and disagreements. They didn't like the same music. Their political views were not compatible, but neither was overly political. They didn't share a faith or the same values.

'What the hell did I see in him in the first place?'

Kat couldn't remember the last time they had fun together. Of course, he wasn't like this when they first met. There were at least two versions of Raymond Landry.

Ray had performed his own charade two years ago, playing a kind and caring man, generous and passionate, crazy about Kat, and wanting nothing more than a family. He caught Kat at a vulnerable time. She had recently realized her future with Nick Pietro, the hot young prosecutor, was in doubt, months after that affair cost Kat her criminal defense position. At the same time, she felt the tick-tock of her biological clock. Kat wanted a family. Raymond arrived during a perfect storm. He was in fact, a chameleon. He had carefully constructed a facade to win her over.

'I can't believe I was so gullible. He played me. It was all an act. Did he know we wouldn't have children? Maybe that's a blessing.'

******

On Monday, Kat convinced Scott to meet her at a bar near Kramer & Stein for drinks after work, something he never did, being a family man. There were questions looking for answers. She requested they meet in front of the Commonwealth Tap. When he walked up, she made a show of giving him a hug, an extended embrace.

"What the hell was that about?" Scott asked as they separated.

"Don't look, but there's a blue Chevy Impala behind me, across the street, about six cars down. That's Art Casey, on the job."

"Jesus Christ, that's still going on? I thought you had a plan to get rid of them."

"I thought I did too, but it appears they have their hooks deep into my dumb husband's wallet."

"How long has it been?"

"I'm losing track; eleven weeks?"

At the bar, Kat ordered snacks to go with their beer order and got right to business.

"Before I go on, I want to thank you for helping me. I thought you'd need time to look into Art and Billy for me, but you had everything I needed to know. I didn't expect that. Thanks."

"I didn't do anything but spill the beans."

"Well, I appreciate it." Kat leaned closer. "We never discussed Fonseca. That creep is serving twenty-five years. He never implicated Barnes."

Panzek nodded. "Correct."

"What the hell is his story?"

"Victor came home later that afternoon to find two dozen cops crawling all over his duplex. You couldn't get near his house with all the police and fire on the scene. He walked up, saw what was happening, and tried to slip away. A neighbor called him out. A young cop ran him down and tackled him, Officer William Barnes. He punched Fonseca in the face several times and had to be dragged off him. Barnes was out of control, like a rabid dog. I told you, he's a hothead."

"After what he had just discovered... I don't blame him."

Scott took a sip of beer. "The question is, did Barnes 'just discover it." He made air quotes.

"You'll need a good reason for Victor to take the fall for that crime. You said there are people who think other perps got away, but Victor never named names. Secondly, if Barnes was blackballed by his fellow cops, that means they believed he was involved. How could the police not investigate him?"

Scott talked with a mouthful of soft, warm garlic pretzel. "Slow down, sister. You're all wound up."

"If Barnes was involved, why would Victor take twenty-five years without naming him? Why would he protect the cop who shot his friend and punched his face?"

"Two things." Scott swallowed. "Victor was getting a long sentence whether he implicated Barnes, or not. Taking down the police hero wasn't going to help him. Also, Fonseca has a disabled sister, much younger than him. She was about twenty-five at the time. What I'm about to say is pure speculation."

Kat smirked and used her sexy voice. "I love it when you speculate to me."

Scott rolled his eyes. "This is how the cynical, conspiracy nutters think Barnes got to Fonseca. I'm afraid to say my Dad is among them. Victor and his mother were caretakers for the sister. They suspect Barnes threatened the mother which would leave the sister without a guardian while he was in jail. Fonseca kept quiet to protect them."

Kat wasn't buying in. "It's so damned thin. There's no case here, Scott. It's all rumors."

"I didn't say there was a case, but the fact is, Barnes knew the kidnappers before the rescue, and the investigation was cut short. He was never pressed to answer questions about his association with the creeps. That's enough to suspect there are things we don't know."

"You're accusing the Pittsburgh Police of covering up his involvement?"

"Well, we know they've never done that before," Scott said sarcastically. "Hey, where's your notepad, Miss Stenographer?"

"Oh, shit." Kat pulled out her legal pad and placed it on the bar.

"Let me see that?" Scott picked up the pad and scanned the top page. "What the hell is this?"

Kat blushed. "I put a fake grocery list on the first page, in case Raymond sees it."

Scott shook his head and began flipping sheets. "Damn it. You're obsessed with this, aren't you? I know you, Kat. Once you dig your claws into something you won't let go."

"I'm just curious. It's a... I don't know, fascinating case."

Scott's face went serious. "Let's say for a moment that Barnes was involved. That makes him a twisted bastard, a rapist, and a murderer. He silenced Mathis. What do you think he'd do if he found out you were digging up these old bones?"

"He's not going to find out. And it's not like the police are going to reopen an investigation. As far as they're concerned, it was open and shut." Kat paused. "But I do want to know why they didn't finish the job."

"I dunno," said Scott. "I told you, the lead detective was ordered to back off days after the rescue. Officer Barnes was a local hero. He saved the girl, killed one monster, and captured another, and his testimony put Fonseca away. No one wanted to hear this crap, least of all, Pittsburgh police brass."

Kat leaned back. She didn't know what to believe. Like all cities, Pittsburgh had some dark, poorly kept secrets; corruption at City Hall, a dirty police department, and organized crime; but the teenage girl abductions, especially the two never recovered, haunted the city.

12