Watching The Detectives Ch. 09

Story Info
Billy confronts Kat about their entanglement.
5.6k words
4.66
900
2
2
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

--- CHAPTER NINE - INTIMIDATION ---

When Raymond returned home from his visit with Art and Billy, Kat came out to the front porch to greet him. He shouted from the driveway.

"What business does Barnes have with you?"

Kat didn't answer.

Ray walked up the front steps and stopped less than two feet in front of her, looking down with a menacing glare, his intimidation move. "He said he's working on another case. What's he talking about?"

"I have no idea, Ray. He's messing with you."

"What are you not telling me?" He shouted.

After losing face in front of three men, Ray was agitated, unstable, and shaking. The tell-tale vein in his neck was bulging as it did before he struck Kat weeks ago.

"Nothing," answered Kat, genuinely frightened.

He shouted again. "Why is Barnes following you?"

Kat remained calm, concealing her fear. "I don't know, Ray, but if you don't calm down, I'm calling the police."

Ray put his finger in Kat's face. "What other case could he be working on?"

"I don't know, Ray. Come inside before you alarm the neighbors. We have enough trouble."

Ray took a deep breath, exhaled, and walked indoors where he continued pressing Kat on the matter. She would never tell him about the Dwyer case. Nothing good would come from telling Raymond the truth. After several minutes of back and forth with Ray humiliated and taking it out on his wife, and her remaining cool, there was a knock on the door. A pair of police patrolmen stood on the front porch, the same officers who responded the night Ray struck Kat.

"We received a call of a domestic dispute," the older cop said. "Are you okay Mrs Landry?"

"I'm fine, we're just having a... discussion."

The cops glared at Ray. They had never met him, but they had seen the handy work he had done on his wife's face. The officers separated the couple for questioning. Standing in the cold, on the front porch, Kat noticed their neighbor, Mrs Hanlan, peeking out her window. She was never fond of Raymond but was especially cold after he had punched his wife. Kat then told the officer she would spend the night at Gloria's. After the cops left, Ray was contrite, begging Kat to remain home.

"No, Ray. I don't feel safe. You need to calm down. I can't live like this."

.

.

--- STRIKE THREE ---

When Kat arrived at Glo's for the second time this week, she caught her at a bad time. Her man Davy Jones was over.

"I'm sorry. I'll go over to my Mom's house," Kat said, turning away from the doorway.

Glo lunged for her arm, pulling Kat inside. "No, you're not. What the fuck, Kat? It took three days for Ray to swing and miss on strike three?"

"Yeah."

Glo closed the door behind her. "David and I were planning on going to the Comm for a bite. You should join us."

"No. I'm not your third wheel. I can go to Mom's."

"And then you'll have to explain strike two and strike three to Judy who will lose her..."

"You're right," Kat said. "I don't want to deal with Mom."

A minute later, Davy pulled Glo aside. They whispered. He grabbed his keys, smiled at Kat, and walked toward the door.

"No," Kat's arms went up. "You shouldn't be..."

"It's okay," David said. "You girls work your shit out."

"I'll be right back," Glo said. She followed Davy Jones outside.

Three minutes later, Gloria returned to find Kat seated at the kitchen table. She stood in the middle of the room, her eyes intense. "What happened to your car?"

"I got rear-ended today. That's what Ray and I fought about."

"He's mad that you got hit?"

"Something like that."

Weeks ago, Kat had shared Ron's files with Glo, and they had discussed the case since, but she didn't keep Glo updated on new developments; like Dan Dwyer's letter, Billy's intimidation of the Dwyer family after the rescue, or the fact Billy was back to watching her. With Glo knowing Kat was digging into his past, and in possession of the case files, the chances of Glo taking that news well were nil.

"Do you want a beer?"

"No," Kat said. "I think I've been drinking too much."

"How about a pop? I have root beer and cola."

"Root beer."

Glo grabbed cans of pop from the fridge. "Tell me about the accident," she handed one to Kat and sat at the kitchen table. "What happened?"

Kat didn't want to tell her everything, but she decided to tell her some things. "It was Billy."

"What? I thought that shit was over."

"I did too. I think he's pissed off that I sicced Ray on him."

"Why? He beat Ray's ass."

"I don't know. I ran into him today. When he saw me he started following. He got too close. The roads were slippery from this muck," she gestured out the window. "I stopped. He didn't."

"Did you report it?"

"Of course I did."

"And Ray is pissed off at you?"

"Yes."

"I love you, but you're a hot mess, and you're a drama magnet. It always finds you, even back when you were practicing. All those rumors and the tabloid crap," Glo shook her head. "It's unreal the garbage you attract."

"I owe you an apology," Kat said. "I'm sorry I didn't listen. You've been right about a lot of things, and I've made some bad choices." She paused, looking at her half-empty glass. "It may not seem like it right now, but I know what I'm doing."

"It's okay, hon," said Glo. "You never listen. Why would this be different? It doesn't stop me from trying."

"You and Mom should manage my life."

Glo snickered, holding her hand to her mouth, a prolonged titter. It annoyed Kat.

"What?"

"We've been trying for years." Glo shook her head. "You just don't listen. I told you not to quit your job until you get pregnant."

"That was good advice." She raised her can of pop. "I messed up both parts. I quit and I never got pregnant. Thank God."

"Cheers to that." Glo took a sip of root beer.

******

Kat didn't know how much Billy knew, or how he found out she was dredging up his past. She suspected the woman who penned the letter to Dan Dwyer was involved. She knew of no other possible leaks. First thing in the morning, Kat called Scott Panzek for information.

"Hey Scotty, who are those men living on the land Ron McDonald owned in Willock?"

"Wow, not even a how's the wife and kids? Something must be amiss for you to go straight to business. What's wrong?"

"I'm sorry. I hope the family is well."

"They are. Thanks for asking."

"And congratulations on passing the bar. I owe you dinner."

"Really? Why's that?"

"When I passed the bar, many years ago, I said I would buy you dinner when you finally got around to it."

"You did?"

"Many years ago." Kat enjoyed rubbing that in.

"I don't recall, but okay. Let's have dinner. Now tell me what's wrong."

Kat didn't respond immediately, because she didn't want to tell Scott everything. She never told him Ron handed over his case files or about the letter he sent Dan Dwyer, or Dan seeking her out. In her silence, Scott sensed she was holding back.

"Spit it out, Kat. What trouble are you in now?"

She sighed. "Barnes is tailing me again. He rear-ended me yesterday, in front of a police station. I think he knows I met with McDonald. Is it possible the men renting Ron's trailers told someone?"

"Are you okay? How bad was the accident?"

"I'm fine. My car's a mess. Do you know the men who Ron lived with?"

"I don't know them, but I'm pretty sure one is an ex-cop. My dad would know. Would you like me to find out?"

"Yes. I would."

"Kat, you didn't stop digging after meeting with Ron, did you?"

"I did, I swear, but then Carol Anne's uncle contacted me and he pulled me back in again."

"Holy shit. Danny Dwyer?" Scott said under his breath. "If Barnes knows you met with McDonald and Danny, you could be in danger. I told you to stop, Kat. You promised me you wouldn't keep digging."

"I'm sorry," she said softly. "I didn't dig. Dan Dwyer came to me." Then Kat had another thought. "In danger?" She paused for a moment. "You know something, Scott. You've been evasive about your opinion on this. You think he was involved in the kidnapping, don't you?"

Scott hesitated. "I'm leaning that way. Honestly, I never gave it much thought until we had lunch and I laid it all out for you. My Dad's friends talk about the case from time to time, but less as the years go by. Your picking at these bones got me thinking. I didn't say so because I don't want to get you all fired up, looking for justice."

"Are you aware Billy Barnes harassed the Dwyer family for a year after the rescue?"

"Where did you hear this?"

"I have two police reports. The family filed the complaints."

Scott's end of the line went dead silent for a moment. "He did it. Why else would he..." He paused. "There's no other explanation."

"That information came from Daniel Dwyer. Ron McDonald tried to tell me this but he was so sick he couldn't talk. Dan gave me the police reports. Before he died, Ron sent Daniel a letter telling him to find me and tell me what happened after the rescue and during the Fonseca trial. That whole time, Barnes was stalking Carol Anne's family. That's why they left town."

"Do you have any idea what kind of coverup this would have to be? The city squashed it. On whose authority?"

"He never made detective, Scott. That was the best the police could do. The cops who knew him best held him down until he quit."

"Kat, listen to me." Scott's voice was urgent. "Stay away from him. If he tails you again, drive straight to a police precinct and..."

"That's why he rear-ended me. Do you think I don't know how to handle myself after all the cases we investigated? I led him to Zone Four and slammed on my brakes. Two officers witnessed it."

"Great idea, Kat. Piss off the rapist and murderer. What the fuck are you thinking?"

"Think about it. There's a public record of all the shit that's happened to me in the past few months. The domestic abuse, my husband's arrest for getting beat up by Billy, and the fact he hired them to keep an eye on me. The cops were at my house last night."

"Why?"

"Because Ray confronted Art and Billy about the accident and Barnes stalking me. He came home loud and angry. Mrs Hanlon dropped a dime on him. Billy can't touch me. We're linked in the public record. He and Ray would be the only suspects."

"That makes me feel so much better," Scott said sarcastically. "At least we'll catch your murderer."

"I can handle myself, Scotty. How many times has someone wanted to kick my ass and yours?"

"Too many."

"Did they ever?"

"Not once."

"Trust me. I won't do anything stupid."

"Kat, you already have."

"Find out about the old guys in the trailers for me."

"Will do."

.

.

---- FACE TO FACE ----

Two days later, Kat and Glo sat in a window booth at the Fifth Avenue Grille having lunch and discussing the latest developments in Kat's life of chaos; her failing marriage, the car accident, and the meeting she had with Jacob Kramer the day before.

"Kramer said he'd talk to Abe Stein on my behalf but he no longer has a say in hiring. Abe was never a big supporter of mine. He protested when Mr. Kramer suggested I attend law school and offered to pay. Abe doesn't think women have a head for the law."

"Well, you do," said Glo, "and he's a male chauvinist pig."

"Yup, he's an old fossil. Kramer always played down Abe's disapproval of me. Yesterday, he admitted it for the first time. He thinks the best chance I have, if any, will be after the holidays."

"Mr. Kramer loves you and he founded the firm. Surely he has some pull."

"He's fully retired. It's Abe's show to run. Now I'm afraid I messed up by going over Stein's head." Kat paused as she peered out the window. "Oh shit, not again."

"What?" Glo turned to see what Kat was looking at.

Across the street sat Billy Barnes in the black Ford Falcon, glaring at their window booth. He saluted them.

"This is some scary shit, Kat," Glo said while meeting Billy's eyes. "Why the hell is he still following you?"

"He's blaming me for the crash. He's trying to intimidate me."

"Well, he's doing a helluva job." Glo gestured to Kat's hand. It was slightly trembling.

Kat grabbed it with her other hand. "I have a lot on my mind."

"He beat up your husband and now he destroyed your car, Kat. The police know this. Report him. You've gotta put an end to this."

They did their best to ignore Billy while they ate lunch, but it wasn't easy. Kat could feel his eyes on her while she was giving Glo details of her car's damage and the estimate for repairs. As she was near the end, Gloria gasped.

"What?" Kat asked.

Glo's lightbulb lit up. Her eyes expressed it. "Maybe Billy knows you have those files. Maybe he knows you met with Detective Ron. That would explain everything."

"No," Kat dismissed her with a wave and an eye roll. "How could he possibly know that? Ron is dead. I haven't told anyone about those files except you. Did you tell Billy?"

Glo rolled her eyes. "No. But maybe Ron told someone of your visit before he died."

"I don't think Ron would do that," Kat said, lying to her best friend.

When they finished dining and paid the tab, the girls walked out the front door where Kat stopped on the sidewalk. Barnes was standing outside his car, leaning against the driver's side front quarter, smoking a cigarette.

"Hey, Mrs. Landry! I think we should have a chat."

Glo clutched Kat's arm. "Don't you dare." She leaned closer to whisper. "He could be a murderer."

"Don't worry," Barnes shouted across the street. "I won't bite. Besides," he pointed at the diner, "there are a dozen witnesses in that window."

"I'm going with you," Glo said.

"No. I don't want you to get involved. He's not going to murder me on Fifth Avenue in broad daylight."

"I wish you never told me all that shit about him."

"I thought you said he was cute."

"Shut up."

Kat took a few steps and turned back to Glo. "He's right. I'll be okay. We have witnesses, including my best friend. You wait there."

Glo stayed behind as Kat looked both ways before crossing Fifth Ave. She watched Billy checking her out in her knee-high boots and leather coat. When she reached Barnes, Glo watched Kat maintain more than an arm's length between them. Glo could hear their voices but not a word said. Kat listened as Barnes became animated, pointing his cigarette hand at her.

Kat backed away from Billy when he appeared threatening.

When it was her turn to speak, Kat first glanced at Glo. Barnes flipped his smoke away and folded his arms across his chest, leaning in to listen. When Kat finished, he resumed talking, clearly agitated, but maintaining his cool and keeping his voice down, which annoyed the hell out of Glo who wanted to know what he was saying. Kat nodded and said something short. Barnes pointed at her again, speaking briefly, and then opened his car door. Kat said one last thing. Billy nodded. She crossed the street.

Glo was all over her at the opposite curb. "What the hell was that about? He looked angry. What did he say?"

"I'm not involving you in my personal problems anymore, Glo," Kat said in a gentle tone. "You'll just drive yourself crazy with worry."

"What the hell? Do you think leaving me in the dark will keep me from worrying? It doesn't. Trust me. It makes me think it's really fucking bad if you won't tell me."

"He thinks I slammed on my brakes on purpose. He's mad because his car is smashed and his insurance will have to pay for both vehicles. And he's angry that Ray came after him again."

"He did? When?"

"The day of the accident. I told you. I guess he told Billy to back off and then threatened him."

"When did you tell me that?"

"That night, at your apartment, after Davy left."

"You did? Ray's an idiot. Does he want to get his face smashed again?"

"Look, Glo. no more questions." Kat took her arm and began walking towards her car. "I have to run. I need to go see Raymond at his office."

Kat felt terrible lying to Glo and keeping her in the dark. She simply didn't want to deal with her judgment and scolding. Before she opened the door to her rental car, a blue 1968 Ford Galaxie 500, she checked to see if Billy was still near. She was grateful he didn't know this car and hoped to keep it that way.

.

.

-- NOVEMBER 24, 1969 --

On the following Monday morning, four days after her Fifth Avenue chat with Billy, Kat saw her husband off to work and took Petey for his early walk. When she returned to the house, she flipped on the television. The KDKA-2 news crew was at Duck Hollow on the Monongahela. A car was being pulled from the river.

She ran errands and had her Monday milkshake at F.W. Woolworth's lunch counter. When she returned mid-afternoon, a police cruiser was parked in front of the house. The officer asked that she remain in her home. Detectives would be along soon to speak with her. He didn't say what it was about. At 1:20 PM, there was a knock on the door. After brief pleasantries and an offer of a seat at the dining room table, Detective Mark O'Neill began questioning.

"Do you know William Barnes?"

"Yes, but not personally. He rear-ended my car last week and I spoke with him a few days ago."

"What day was that?"

"Thursday afternoon, outside the Fifth Avenue Grille."

O'Neill wrote on his pad. "What was the nature of that discussion?"

Kat took a deep breath and exhaled. "Are you aware that my husband hired Mr. Barnes and his partner to keep tabs on me?"

"I'm asking the questions here, ma'am, this isn't your courtroom. Yes, I'm aware of your marital problems." He smirked. "What did you and Barnes talk about?"

"For one thing, I asked him why he continued to follow me after my husband had stopped paying them. He claimed to have another client. He was also angry about the accident. He blamed me."

"Did he say who that client was?"

The phone rang startling Kat, as it usually did. She looked at the detectives. "Should I answer that?"

"You can, but we won't be long. I'm sure they'll call back."

They waited as the phone rang, and rang, making conversation difficult. 'Why is that ring so damn loud?' she thought as it stopped. O'Neill repeated his last question.

"Did William Barnes say who his client was?"

"No, he didn't."

Kat glanced at O'Neill's young partner. He didn't appear old enough to be a detective. Junior didn't speak one word since they had taken a seat... as if he was a trainee observing his mentor. He was introduced as Detective Baker. The partners shared a look before the veteran asked his next question.

"Did you have an affair with William Barnes?"

Kat leaned back. "No, I definitely did not, but his partner thought I did. I led him to believe that, and my husband might still believe it."

O'Neill smiled and scribbled another note. "Well, that's why we're here. Art Casey told us your story. It smells a little fishy to us. He also claims your husband threatened Barnes."

"Yeah, but that's an empty threat. The last time my husband got tough Barnes beat him up, badly. Did you come here to ask me about an affair I didn't have?"

"No. we're here because William Barnes' car was fished out of the river this morning," The detective paused. "His body was inside."

Kat stared at O'Neill, emotionless, because she didn't feel any. "Did he take his car for a swim or do you suspect foul play?" She smirked. The words just came out, like she was happy about it. "I'm willing to testify he's a shitty driver."

"It's not a joke ma'am." He replied flatly. "A man is dead. And yes, we have strong evidence that suggests foul play."

A slight gasp of breath left Kat's lungs. Her mouth hung slightly open after the faint sound passed through them. It wasn't funny anymore. Her eyes locked onto O'Neill's big brown eyes. "Oh. my God," she barely whispered.

"Mrs. Landry, do you know if your husband has seen William Barnes in the last few days?"

12