Watching The Detectives Ch. 13

Story Info
Public threats force Kat into exile.
4.6k words
4.78
810
1
4
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

--- CHAPTER THIRTEEN - HE SAID, SHE SAID ---

Two days after Raymond had assaulted Kat a second time, the couple appeared in court. She was on crutches as a deep bone bruise would not permit her leg to support her weight. The judge issued a no-contact restraining order. Ray could not come within three hundred feet of his estranged wife.

John Sousa objected. "Your honor, Mr. Landry is on bail, accused of murder. I'm sure you're aware of his case. This is his second assault on his wife. He's clearly in violation of the terms of his bail. Mrs. Landry is not safe with her violent husband on the street."

The judge was not convinced Raymond had violated bail. "He tried to speak with his wife. Her leg was caught in the door. It was an accident." The judge looked at Kat. "Mrs. Landry, given this order your husband will not be permitted to reside with you. What will the arrangements be? As the plaintiff you have a right to claim your domicile."

"Your honor, I no longer live at home. I will never sleep in that house again. I've filed for divorce. My husband was served. That's what precipitated this," she gestured to her black and blue shin. "Well, that and other legal matters. Even with this order, I don't feel safe. Raymond has no restraint. It would be unwise to further antagonize my husband by putting him out of the house."

Kat and John watched Raymond leave the courtroom. They waited a minute to allow him space. When she gimped out the front door of the courthouse, Ray stood on the steps with his attorney waiting for her. Russel Stanton was attempting to remove him from the scene but Ray was having none of it. A half dozen reporters looked on with Russell pulling on Ray's arm. Kat and John Sousa froze twenty feet away.

"There will be no divorce!" Ray shouted. "You're not leaving me!" Russell pulled harder as his client ranted. Ray yanked his arm away. "No, Kat. You're not going anywhere. Till death do us part!"

"Jesus Christ!" Exclaimed Sousa. "You just violated the order on the courthouse steps!"

"Till death do us part!" Ray yelled as Russell led him away. "Till death do us part!"

Kat waited for them to clear the area before struggling down the marble steps she had walked countless times on the job. John Sousa reported the incident to the court. Ray was issued a warning through his attorney.

*****

The following day's news of the restraining order and confrontation appeared in newspapers. A reporter for the Pittsburgh Press interpreted 'Till death do us part' as Ray issuing a death threat. The case was getting more bizarre by the day.

Hours after the newspapers hit the stands, Russell Stanton was informed that Kramer & Stein would no longer represent Raymond Landry. It was against the firm's best interests. Stanton was visibly upset according to Kat's friends who witnessed it from outside the conference room glass. He had to make a career decision on the spot.

Russell had been with the firm for seventeen years. He was a decent attorney, well-liked and respected, but he wasn't on a path for partnership. Two men ahead of him in seniority, Mark McGill and Ben Wiesman had been recently announced as partners. They would take the reins when Abe Stein retired. Russell was disappointed and maybe a little bitter.

He wasn't accustomed to defending high-profile clients in big cases. This murder trial was the biggest case of his career. He didn't want to let it go. Russell honestly believed he could defend Raymond and earn acquittal because the evidence against him was not strong. Without the murder weapon they had circumstantial evidence, a pair of muddy shoes, and a lot of he said, she said. Many defense attorneys, including Kat Landry, felt the defense would beat the charges.

Kat was surprised Ray was charged in the first place. She had friends in the system shocked that the District Attorney decided to move a weak case forward, even with circumstances that clearly made her husband the number one suspect. Everyone assumed the case was pushed ahead due to political pressure from people who wanted the William Barnes murder case to go away.

Russell Stanton handed in his resignation and stuck with his client and country club friend. His peers at Kramer & Stein didn't hold the decision against him. They understood, even if they felt it was not the best choice. He would lose the resources of one of the biggest law firms in the city. No one envied his position.

.

.

--- PERSONAL PROTECTION ---

Kat was not a fan of guns. She had seen too many people sent away for crimes committed in moments of passion where a gun turned a bad day in their life into a deadly day. Take out the gun and they're facing assault charges rather than manslaughter. Given Raymond's outbursts, several people suggested she purchase a gun for personal protection. She agonized over the decision.

In the end, John Sousa accompanied her to a gun shop and helped her decide on a Beretta M1951. As a firearm enthusiast, John taught her gun safety basics and how to shoot at a range he used on the edge of town. After training her on loading a magazine, inserting it into the gun, aiming, and firing, Kat popped off two magazines of 9 mm rounds.

John smiled. "Not bad for a liberal gun hater."

"Oh, I'm not a hater. I've fired a gun before, my dad took me out in the woods when I was about twelve. He had a handgun and a shotgun." She placed her Baretta on the shelf in front of her. "I think I've done enough here."

"What did your dad have?"

"His handgun was a Colt.45 but Dad loved his Mossberg shotgun."

"Good firearms," John nodded. "What Colt did he have, a revolver?"

"No, it was the 1911. He liked that it held one more round as if that matters."

"Oh, it matters if you're in the shit," John laughed. "Please remember this. You don't point a gun unless you're prepared to use it. Don't even take it out unless you truly feel threatened."

"I understand. Do you remember the Remy Martin case, the Italian kid?"

"I do," said John. "That was horrible."

"All he wanted to do was scare off the bully."

"Don't put yourself in his shoes. Guns are not warnings. They're the last resort."

"I know you carry," Kat said. "Have you ever drawn your weapon?"

John reached into his shoulder holster and removed his firearm, a Smith & Wesson Model 60 revolver. "Only once," he said. "As a divorce attorney you never know when an estranged husband might decide you are the cause of all their problems. I've been carrying for more than ten years."

"What happened when you pulled it?"

"Nothing. Thankfully the guy had a baseball bat and he was," John smirked. "Outgunned."

Kat rolled her eyes.

"This is my second handgun," he said. "I picked it up a few years back. It's stainless steel and heavy but I like that it's reasonably compact."

"What if you need more than six shots?" Kat asked.

"I'm fucked. That's why I use the range regularly... so I won't miss. Half the battle is keeping a cool head when shit goes down. Breathe calmly and never hesitate once the threat is imminent."

"I don't want to kill my husband."

"And I don't don't want your husband to kill you." John squared his stance. "Brace yourself."

Kat reflexively put her hands over her ear protection muffs. John pulled the trigger. Pop, pop, pop, pop, pop, pop.

When he retrieved the target to inspect his work, he showed Kat. It was a tight array of holes all within the circle.

She nodded. "That's a dead man."

As Kat drove away from the range she considered how fortunate she was to have friends like John Sousa. Without siblings, her friends at K&S were her family. She grew up with them. John was five years older, a young lawyer fresh off passing the bar when she joined the firm straight out of college.

John was smart, handsome, loyal, and protective of his friends. That's why he insisted she arm herself and then made certain she did everything by the book. Safety first.

She looked back in her mirror at him getting into his car. 'If John wasn't a married man.'

.

.

--- SECLUSION ---

April 1970

One hundred and eighteen miles away from the Barnes murder chaos, near State College, PA, Kat kept a low profile where few people knew what was happening back in Pittsburgh. It was a different media market that cared more about Penn State athletics than anything else in the Commonwealth. No local media was covering her husband's case as a top story. It was barely a blurb buried in the back pages. Most importantly... there were no photos.

Twenty minutes from campus in Spruce Creek, she found a small cabin for rent. She paid cash. At first, it was supposed to be temporary, but she enjoyed the secluded property on the edge of the Rothrock State Forest. Petey liked it too, barking at the squirrels, raccoons, and occasional deer; the only visitors they had. It was the off-season with snow on the ground and very few people were around.

The two-room cabin was sparse but comfortable. There was a small kitchen with propane for cooking and heating, a fridge, and a table for two. The bathroom had a pedestal sink, mirror, and a claw-foot tub. The bed was comfortable enough and the armoire adequate for her new wardrobe.

Her favorite feature was the fireplace. Kat bought firewood at a local tree nursery. She'd light a fire and sit with Petey at her feet reading in the warmth and glow of the fire.

Kat left her stylish dresses behind to blend in. It wasn't hard. A Penn State cap and Nittany Lions sweatshirt was the local uniform. She wore tee shirts, sweaters, and jeans and replaced her heels with tennis shoes and hiking boots.

Every week she made three phone calls. Mom was worried so she checked in to assure her she was safe. She called John Sousa for updates on the divorce. Raymond was fighting it. John also filled her in on Raymond's murder case. The third call was to Gloria who was also concerned for Kat's safety.

Once a month Kat and Glo met in a town roughly halfway between Pittsburgh and State College where she found a nice country diner. Glo provided her with editions of The Post-Gazette that contained stories pertaining to the case.

In April, three months into exile, Kat pulled up to the diner to find Glo standing outside.

"Hey, what happened to the Toronado?" asked Glo as Kat emerged from a black 1968 Ford Galaxie 500 XL fastback.

Kat walked over and hugged her. "I had to trade it in. It's too conspicuous. I promised Mom I'd visit her and I didn't feel safe driving flashy red into town."

"This is nice." Glo gestured to the Ford.

"I had one as a loaner when my car was in the body shop, remember?"

"This is not the same car?"

"It is. It's just the XL fastback model. The dealer loved my car and made me a straight-up trade, more or less. I had to kick in a little cash. I got new tags too."

"And look at this country girl fashion statement." Glo gestured to her new look. "You've gone full incognito. When are you going to dye your hair?"

"That's where I draw the line, sister."

In the diner, they ordered food and got caught up on the latest news, which for Kat, was no news at all.

"You must be going crazy out here," said Glo.

"Actually, no, I'm not. This is the first real peace I've had since last summer. I've read eleven novels in three months. Petey and I love the woods. Now that the weather is warming we go on a long hike almost every day. I take him into town every few days. He's popular with the students."

"Why won't you let me come to your place?"

"So you can honestly say you don't know where I am?"

"Do you really think Ray or anyone else would go so far as to threaten me?" Glo asked.

"No, I don't, but I'm taking no chances. There's a reason Raymond's case is being expedited. There are people in town who want this Barnes mess to go away. There's a lot going on behind the scenes. We don't know what those people might do."

While catching up with events in the Post-Gazette, Kat was struck by the swift nature of her husband's proceedings. The schedule was announced less than three months after his arrest. In typical fashion, Jack Mitchell questioned why the Barnes murder case had leapfrogged other cases on the court docket. He suggested people in high places were once again pressing their thumb on the scales of justice. Kat read Jack's column as she and Glo ate lunch.

Mitchell wrote: 'If this trial goes off in late July as scheduled, it would be the quickest turnaround for a murder trial in over a decade. Why are prosecutors putting this case on the fast track? Is it possible that political pressure from City Hall is being applied to make this go away? The last time that happened was in 1955. William Barnes was involved in that case also.'

Kat looked up from the news. "I heard jury selection is going to be a nightmare."

"Yes. The prosecution will try to weed out all the tabloid nutcases. I'm not trying to alarm you but your hiding away has only fueled speculation that you're involved. Bob Pitka is questioning..."

"I don't want to hear about Bob Pitka," Kat said firmly. "I'll be slipping into town next week to see Mom. Do you want to have lunch with us?"

"I would like that."

*****

Those who believed Raymond killed Officer Barnes were dealing with facts. He had two previous confrontations with Barnes. One was violent. He threatened Barnes in the other. Police had arrested Raymond Landry for the murder of William Barnes. His gun, the same caliber as the murder weapon, was missing. His mud-caked shoes matched the muddy prints at Duck Hollow. He could not completely account for his whereabouts on the night of the murder. He was charged with the crime and indicted by the district attorney. Raymond was facing a trial before a jury of his peers.

Kat wasn't charged with a crime nor was she suspected of any, but you'd never know that when overhearing conversations in the diners and barrooms around town. Her accusers based their opinions on hearsay. The DA was concerned the jury could be tainted by what Jack Mitchell referred to as 1970 Barnes conspiracy nuts. It was an entirely different group than the 1955 Barnes nutters. The old nutters felt Barnes' death was justice delayed. The new nutters were mostly Barnes supporters in '55 who felt he was murdered by Kat; thanks to Bob Pitka's Weekly Mail.

While driving into town to visit her mother Kat made the mistake of listening to KDKA talk radio. The radio host was unbiased, but the callers to his show had taken sides.

"She was digging up the worst days of Barnes' life. He found out and threatened her the day before he was killed. She has no proof she was home at the time of the murder. I think she took her husband's handgun and ended the threat Barnes posed to her."

The host jumped in. "Why would she dispose of the weapon if she was trying to frame her husband?"

"I didn't say she was trying to frame him."

"Everyone else is."

The caller continued. "Kat Landry was preparing for divorce. Look, her husband is a nutcase, but I think she killed Barnes. He's just a convenient fall guy."

"You realize there's not a shred of evidence to support your position."

"Whatever. She's a lawyer, a smart lady, and I think she's a sneaky bitch."

"Okay, that's enough of that call," said the host. "We'll be back after a message from our sponsors."

The Weekly Mail called the Landry drama a case of he said, she said. The Post-Gazette stayed with the facts. In one article the P-G reported the Landry case was a matter of words versus actions. Jack Mitchell found himself in the unenviable position of countering tabloid trash which prompted criticism that his newspaper was taking the side of Kat Landry. He appeared on KDKA with radio talk jock, Ben Carter, to defend his daily newspaper.

"We're reporting the facts, events that actually happened. If the facts support her position, so be it. We report the information provided by the police and prosecutors, which isn't much. There's no speculation."

"But you did go after The Mail," said Carter. "Wasn't that in defense of your friend, Kat Landry?"

"It was in defense of the truth. She's not a suspect yet she's in hiding because the man accused of murder pointed a finger at her. Bob Pitka made her the headline long before any facts were out. That's the same man she sued for libel."

"So, you think Bob Pitka is out for revenge?"

"I think Pitka is trying to sell his tabloid to gullible people and Kat has always been a favorite topic of his, long before that lawsuit."

"You don't believe there's any merit to that side of the argument, that Kat is somehow involved in Barnes' death?" Carter asked.

"If the police were openly investigating her I would consider it, but they're not. This isn't a case of he said, she said. It's a case of what Raymond Landry has done, said, and what he's accused of because she's not actually saying anything."

"Well, she did speak at the courthouse."

"That was months ago," Jack said. "She answered a few direct questions. Mrs. Landry hasn't made a public statement since. The police have never hinted that she's a suspect. The evidence doesn't support that theory. It's only Bob Pitka's trashy tabloid making that case."

"Have you spoken to her? Do you know where she is?"

"I have not heard from Kat since before she filed for divorce."

"Why is she in hiding if she has nothing to hide?"

"That's not a serious question Ben, and you know it. Her husband has threatened her. There's a restraining order. Male callers to your program have said, 'Someone needs to put a bullet in that bitch.' and you didn't cut them off until they had their say. If I was Kat Landry I'd never step foot in this town again."

******

Five months into Kat's seclusion, she and Glo met for a fifth time at their midway diner. While looking through the new pile of old newspapers Glo had delivered, Kat joked about being a hermit.

"I don't bathe every day. I don't have to."

"I thought I smelled something foul," Glo smiled.

"I bathed last night. It's not me."

"I miss you. Aren't you lonely out here?"

"I miss you too, and I do have bad days, but I'm okay. Also, I've made a few friends."

"What?" Glo's eyes bugged out. "Who? How did you meet someone?"

"Take it easy. I'm not dating or anything. It's just a group of friends at a coffee shop. They invited me to happy hour. It was the first drink I'd had in months." Kat paused. "I'm also looking for work in Harrisburg and Philly."

Glo's shoulders slumped. "You're leaving Pittsburgh for good?"

"I have to. It's not safe for me back home. When I find a suitable position I'll move."

"I can't believe I'm losing you."

"I'm staying in the state so I can practice law. I won't be far. First things first, I have to put this trial and divorce behind me.

"Are you scared about coming back for the trial?"

"No. I'm actually pretty calm. I'm looking forward to it." She patted her purse. "I have my Beretta. I go to the range once a month to keep myself sharp."

******

In the early days after Raymond's indictment, Kat took a meeting with the prosecuting attorney. At that time, the prosecution was not planning on asking her to testify. Apparently, things had changed. John Sousa informed Kat over the phone the DA was hoping she'd meet with him. Kat drove into town to visit Mom and take the meeting.

Kat knew District Attorney Carl Jameson well. He was climbing the legal ladder when she defended the men and women he prosecuted. Despite their adversarial careers, Carl and Kat were on good terms.

He wasted no time asking Kat if she was willing to testify against her husband. Jameson couldn't force a wife to testify against her spouse, but since Ray had ruined Kat's name, and she had filed for divorce, he felt he had to ask. Kat declined.

"Carl, I'll be in court as a spectator. I have no interest in participating."

12