Watching The Detectives Ch. 15

Story Info
Katherine Price takes the stand.
5.4k words
4.83
1k
1
1

Part 15 of the 16 part series

Updated 05/31/2024
Created 04/12/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

--- CHAPTER FIFTEEN - NOTORIOUS ---

July 1970

Arriving early for day five of the trial, Kat walked with John Sousa through the halls of the Allegheny County Courthouse. As they approached the massive oak doors of the courtroom she saw her former boss and mentor, Jacob Kramer, speaking with Scott Panzek.

Kat hugged Scott first with no words. He immediately nodded to Mr K and walked away. Kat's office brother knew she wanted to be alone with her office dad.

Mr. Kramer extended his hand. Kat put her arms around him instead. Mr. K accepted her light hug with a tinge of embarrassment. "Good morning, Katherine. You look lovely as always."

Kat leaned back holding his arms with both hands. "I'm so happy to see you." She smiled. "You look great. As I said before, retirement suits you."

"It suits Hannah more. She enjoys having me home. I'm going a bit stir-crazy. I've been following the case." He gestured toward John Sousa. "And John has kept me posted. I'm here to support you."

"Thank you. This means so much to me."

"I must confess. I'm eager to see how you handle Reynolds's provocations. Of course, you know what's coming."

"Well, you taught me how to prepare a witness for a combative prosecutor." Kat smiled again. "I think I can handle Raymond's minor league defense team."

Mr. K. smirked. "I don't believe that legal pip-squeak Reynolds can handle you."

Kat leaned in closer, "Don't look now, but our favorite muckraker is twenty feet away at seven o'clock watching us. Don't look. He does not deserve eye contact, not even disgust."

Kramer smiled. "One thing I love about you Katherine is your willingness to say what's on your mind. I remember when you were the new girl in accounting and I had lunches with staff. All the girls had questions, but you had the most probing queries and insight. I take it Pitka is in the hall?"

"Yes, and there is a trail of slime where he walked in." Katherine looked Mr. Jacob Kramer in the eyes. "Do you know what I hate most about what he did to us?"

Mr. Kramer exhaled. He felt the emotions Kat was feeling.

"I miss you," Kat said. "But I can't invite you to lunch because that dirtbag accused us of infidelity. We can't be seen in public. People would talk."

"How about I have Hannah invite you to lunch, at our home?"

It took every ounce of Kat's will to hold back the hug and tears she wanted to give seventy-one-year-old Jacob Kramer for that kind offer. She inhaled audibly and batted her eyes to keep the moisture at bay.

"That would be wonderful."

"Just so you know," Mr. Kramer took Kat's hand. "Not once did Hannah believe that. She laughed when Pitka ran the headline calling you a notorious man-eater."

"What was that even about?" Kat laughed, grateful for the levity. "Notorious for what?"

Mr K smiled. "The only person with notoriety in this hall is the lowly man at seven o'clock."

"He saw you take my hand," Kat smiled back. "There's his next headline. Notorious femme fatale Kat Price holds hands with Jacob Kramer while husband stands trial for the murder she committed."

Mr. K laughed, "Are you sure you're not writing for the tabloids?"

John Sousa had also stepped back to give them a moment. He motioned to Kat it was time to do business in the courtroom.

"Thank you for coming," Kat smiled. "It means so much to me. And I accept Hannah's lunch offer."

"I would wish you luck," Mr K said. "But you don't need it."

.

******

Raymond Landry's defense opened by recalling Art Casey to the stand. Ed Reynolds did the questioning. Many colleagues suspected Reynolds took the lead on the defense because Russell Stanton didn't have the stomach to harangue Kat when she was called to testify. It would likely hurt his reputation at his former firm. Stanton shrunk a little in his chair when he saw Jacob Kramer enter the room. He knew at that moment he was on the wrong team.

Reynolds was a slight man, not more than 5'6", slender, in his forties. His thinning black hair was slicked back. As Kat observed him pitching soft opening questions to Art Casey she noted he was also a pip-squeak in stature. He asked private detective Casey questions regarding his and Billy Barnes' work for the defendant and what they observed while following Kat during the early weeks of the case, in June of 1969.

When Casey got to the part about watching Kat enter the Rosewood Apartments, the defense attorney requested Art go slow, to recall the dates and times. He did the same for the Penn Hotel incidents. Art had documented each day as an investigator would.

"And what did you believe was happening at the time?" Asked Reynolds.

"I thought my partner might be sleeping with the subject of our investigation," replied Casey.

When the prosecution cross-examined the private investigator, District Attorney Jameson, tall and barrel-chested, the polar opposite of Reynolds in stature, also offered soft-ball queries before getting to his few significant questions.

"When it was all said and done was your partner William Barnes sleeping with your client's wife?"

"No, he wasn't."

"Did you report these incidents to your client?"

"No, I didn't," Casey said lowly.

"Why not? Mr. Landry suspected his wife was cheating. At the time you thought she might be sleeping with Barnes. Why not report to him?"

"Because I didn't know for sure."

"Or maybe you wanted to drag that case out to keep the checks coming in," Jameson said loudly. "Could that be it?"

"Objection!"

"Overruled," Judge Szymanski said quickly.

"I didn't want to lose the work," Casey said in a half whisper, ashamed of his answer.

"Excuse me? Can you speak louder?"

"I didn't want to lose the job."

"And what happened when you finally told Raymond Landry what you suspected?"

"He attacked Billy."

"No further questions." Jameson glanced smugly at the defense table as he returned to his seat.

The defense then recalled Detective Leroy Smith. Ed Reynolds dawdled, looking at documents before slowly rising and approaching the witness stand.

"Detective Smith. You made a point of giving Raymond two days' notice before executing the search warrant on his home. Didn't Mrs. Landry also have advance notice?"

"I didn't give notice, the media did, so of course she knew."

"It was observed that Mr. Landry was seen on television news leaving the house with a bag. Didn't Mrs. Landry also leave the home with bags?"

"Yes, Mrs. Landry moved out during that time."

"Wouldn't it be possible that she could have removed the Colt.45 and Raymond's shoes during that two-day period?"

"The shoes, yes, but she didn't have a key for the desk to access the gun."

"Could she have possibly taken her husband's keys and unlocked that drawer?"

"I suppose, but she hadn't been at the house with Raymond over those two days. He keeps his large key ring in his possession at all times. Many of those keys belong to his business."

"Besides the Sellier & Bellot.45 caliber cartridges, did you find any other ammunition in the home?"

"Yes, there was a full box of Federal.45 ACP cartridges."

"Where are those manufactured?"

"Philadelphia."

"So, they must be very common around here?"

"They are. We use them in our service revolvers."

"So, if you were in Raymond's home planning to commit a murder and those were your options, would you use the rare foreign ammunition or the common ammo?"

"I would use the Federal."

"Why is that?"

"So it could be traced back to anyone not just me."

"Unlike the Sellier & Bellot?"

"Exactly."

"Why would Raymond make that mistake?"

Smith straightened in the witness chair. "Have you observed his behavior in the past year? He's not as bright as you all claim he is."

"That's enough." Reynolds raised his voice.

"I answered your question. Landry is reckless and careless when he's angry."

"That's all the questions I have. Witness dismissed."

The defense called Detectives Jerry Newsome and Mark O'Neill to ask the same questions to establish that Kat did in fact have the opportunity to remove evidence from the home prior to the police search.

During recess, Kat's attorney, John Sousa, pulled her aside. "You're up next. I know I don't have to tell you what line of questioning you'll face, but we should..."

"John, I'm fully prepared. He'll ask me the same damn questions to make sure the jury knows I was in and out of my house. If I were a juror I'd be annoyed. It's condescending to the panel to make the same point over and again."

"I agree. We don't select stupid people as jurors, and they don't appreciate lawyers who talk down to them." Sousa paused for a moment. "Kat, I know you don't respect the defense team's strategy but do your best to conceal your contempt. We don't need..."

"John," Kat interrupted again. "I can handle myself."

"I know you can. I just want to make sure you keep your disdain for Reynolds in check."

For her day on the stand, Kat wore a conservative dark blue dress, below the knee in length with a jewel neckline. After Kat swore to tell the whole truthnReynolds asked her questions about her career in law. He focused on her time as a paralegal, investigating for the defense, and her years arguing cases as a defense attorney, even going as far as complimenting her record and reputation.

Then he pitched her a few light questions asking about when she realized she was being followed. She told the story of leading Art Casey and Billy Barnes around town on her boring errands.

Reynolds raised his voice. "Then you decided to make it an exciting game by entering the Rosewood Apartment building where Mr. Barnes resided." He turned toward the jury. "You purposely led Art Casey to believe you and his partner were having an affair."

"Yes, I did, and I'm not proud of it. I was angry that Raymond was having me followed and I wanted to give them something to investigate. It was a stupid prank and I had no idea it would..."

"Mrs. Landry, that's enough." Reynolds raised a hand. "You've answered the question," He smirked at Kat and then turned back to the jury. "She was angry!" He spun back to the witness. Kat nearly laughed at his hacky performance, concealing a smile with her hand.

"Knowing your husband was a jealous man capable of lashing out at anyone he perceived as flirting with you why on earth would you want him to suspect you were having an affair?"

"He already suspected it. That's why he hired those men. I knew Art Casey wouldn't report that information to my husband. They were milking the case. Casey didn't confront Barnes or my ...."

"That's good enough." Reynolds raised a palm. "Please answer directly. No need for a tale."

Kat glanced toward the jury. The foreperson, a serious-looking woman in her fifties, glared at Reynolds. Kat knew at that moment he was losing her with his rude display.

Reynolds continued. "By assuming your husband would never find out, you gambled with William Barne's life," he paused. "Just so you could prove a point?"

"Yes, and I proved that point. Casey didn't report my activity to Raymond."

"You entered the Rosewood Apartments how many times?"

"Twice."

"If you weren't with Mr. Barnes where were you during the time Art Casey thought you were in his partner's apartment?"

"You know where I was because I've provided receipts. I was at The Shamrock Diner. You interviewed the staff."

"Yes, we did. They remember you well," he said with a smile. "You also led Mr. Barnes into The William Penn Hotel so his partner would witness that play. What did you do for the two hours you were there?"

"I had lunch at The Speakeasy Lounge. I dine there on occasion. It has a nice view of the city. You spoke to the bartender and manager, they know me."

"Yes, we did. And where was Mr. Barnes?"

"He was in the lobby when I left. I assume he waited there the entire time."

"Is that how you planned it? Walk us through that, the Rosewood and The Penn."

After explaining the logistics of her charades Kat sat quietly while Reynolds paced in front of the defense table. She suspected he was pausing for effect and had a zinger coming.

"I believe an unhappy wife who wanted a divorce could use these elaborate schemes to goad her jealous husband, known to react poorly to such provocations, into attacking her alleged lover. Were you trying to provoke violence against William Barnes?"

"No."

"Is that all you have to say?"

"Are direct answers no longer convenient for you?" She snapped. Chuckles came from the gallery.

Reynolds walked to the defense table and shuffled through papers making the courtroom wait. Kat recognized this as bullshit. He knew exactly where he was going next. It was as if he watched a bad courtroom drama and was mimicking the actors.

"Mrs. Landry, you have been unhappily married for some time, correct?"

"Yes."

"When would you say your unhappiness began?"

"Very early, when the man I believed I married turned out to be a facade and the actual Raymond was..."

"Very early was good enough."

D.A. Jameson spoke up. "Your honor, could the defense council allow the witness to answer his questions in her words?"

"Is that an objection, Mr. Jameson?" asked Judge Symanski.

"It's an observation. He's being unnecessarily rude by cutting her off."

"She answered the question," Reynolds scoffed. "I don't need her life story."

The judge glared at him. "I tend to agree with Mr. Jameson. Don't condescend."

Kat found it amusing when Reynolds walked another unnecessary lap around the large area between the defense table, jury box, and witness stand. She glanced to see the jury's reaction to his performative stalling tactic. Kat had learned to read a jury while working as a legal aide under Jacob Kramer. She focused on body language and facial expressions. She noted the four female jurors squirming in their seats when Reynolds spoke aggressively at her and previous witnesses.

Reynolds turned back to the witness stand from ten feet away. "So, we could say you've been unhappily married for over two years, correct?'

"Yes."

"You have a beautiful home and a successful husband who provides for you. What was missing."

"I just learned in this courtroom that my husband lied to me before we married. He said he wanted children but knew all along that he couldn't."

"So, you wanted a family?"

"Yes, that's precisely why we married. Raymond was forty-seven. He said it was getting late for him. It was now or never. I was thirty-six and had the same feeling."

Reynolds furrowed his brow. "So, you're saying this was a marriage of convenience?"

"At the time I didn't feel that way but looking back... you could say that."

"And now you clearly regret marrying Raymond Landry?"

"Look where I am, sitting in a courtroom. My husband is charged with murder. Do you think this is our second honeymoon?"

The gallery laughed as one. Even Judge Symanski stifled a laugh. Reynolds walked away clearly annoyed. He took a sip of water. Kat did the same. He then circled back to the witness stand.

"Last summer you were bitter that you had no child after nearly two years of marriage. You were bitter that you had left your career for this marriage you now regret. Your husband hired a pair of private detectives to keep tabs on you and that made you angry, correct?"

"Yes, is this supposed to be a defense of my husband? I don't think it's working."

There were more chuckles in the gallery.

"Yes, it is." Reynolds focused on the jury. "We've established that the defend... " He paused to correct his error. "The witness was unhappily married, bitter, and angry when she began playing a dangerous game with detectives Barnes and Casey. Have we not?"

Reynolds turned back to Kat. "Did you have access to your husband's footwear?"

"Yes, of course," Kat laughed. "Raymond didn't lock up his shoes."

"Did you have access to his key ring?"

"That would be extremely difficult. He kept them close by at all times. Raymond's paranoid like that."

"I didn't ask for a psychological evaluation of your husband."

"Maybe you should have."

Kat got another audible laugh from the spectators.

"So, it's possible that you could have used his keys to access his Colt.45?"

"If I could have taken them from under his nose then quickly determined which of his three dozen keys fit that lock and then returned his jangling janitor key ring without him noticing. I suppose it's possible."

"Did you do that?"

"No."

"Late at night while he was sleeping?"

"No."

Reynolds paused a moment, looked toward the jury, and then back to Kat. "Mrs. Landry, if you were attempting to frame Raymond which ammunition do you suppose would..."

"Objection!" Jameson stood abruptly, knocking his chair backward. "Your honor this is ridiculous. He's implying she's guilty of a crime." A wave of murmurs rolled through the courtroom.

"Sustained." Judge Symanski struck his gavel once and glared at Reynolds. "You know you're crossing a line with this questioning."

"I think my point was made," Reynolds said, again glancing at the jury. "Did you remove three suitcases of belongings from the house in the two days before the search warrant was executed?"

"Yes, my clothing and personal effects. I moved out."

"Could you have smuggled the gun and shoes out of the house in those suitcases?"

"In your fantasy defense, I suppose that's possible."

Snickers from the gallery annoyed Reynolds. "Do you think this is a joke?"

"As an attorney, yes, I think your defense of my husband is a terrible joke."

"Have you no respect for your peers?"

"My peers would have attacked the prosecution's weak case to establish a shadow of doubt rather than attempting to construct a false narrative. You insult the jury with this nonsense."

The courtroom roared, some in approval, others in shock. Judge Symanski banged his gavel three times. Kat mouthed, "I'm sorry." to the jury as the clamor died down. She turned to Judge Symanski. "I'm sorry, your honor. He's asking for ridicule with this line of questioning."

"Mrs. Landry, I don't want to find you in contempt of court," Symanski said, "so, please don't make me."

"I hold no contempt for your court, your honor, but some attorneys."

Szymanski pounded his gavel again as the gallery reacted. Laughs and inaudible spectator comments filled the air. Reynolds walked another circle from the witness stand to the jury, past the defense table, and back to Kat, stroking his chin as if pondering his next question.

For the first time on the stand Kat made eye contact with Raymond. She'd been purposely avoiding his glare. She recognized his expression, worry, maybe dejection. She suspected he knew his defense wasn't going well.

"Let's get to the point then," Reynolds said loudly, breaking Kat and Raymond's connection. "It is in fact our contention that you had a motive to murder William Barnes as some sort of....

Jameson stood again. "Objection, your honor! Mrs. Landry is not on trial here."

.... vigilante justice!" Reynolds shouted over the objections. "You were investigating Barnes' role in the Dwyer case! You thought he was an accomplice!"

"Objection, your honor!" Jameson walked partly around the prosecution table. The courtroom buzzed. The judge's gavel fell, once, twice, and a third time. Reynolds kept shouting over the court.

"You met with the lead detective, a Dwyer family member, and Jack Mitchell; all men who believe Officer William Barnes was involved in the kidnapping!"

"Your honor, I object to this nonsense!" Yelled Jameson. "He's hectoring the witness."

Symanski's gavel kept falling, four and five times. "Mr. Reynolds! Stop it now! Objection sustained."

A cacophony of reactions, gasps, and conversations echoed through the hardwood room. The gavel sounded a sixth and seventh time. There it was, the entire tabloid defense laid out as Kat suspected. Reynolds stood with his arms folded oddly proud of himself, as if saying those words made them true. When the room quieted he continued.

12