Watching The Detectives Ch. 16

Story Info
The verdict is in. Final Chapter.
6.2k words
4.85
1k
3
2

Part 16 of the 16 part series

Updated 05/31/2024
Created 04/12/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

--- CHAPTER SIXTEEN - TRUE CONFESSIONS ---

August 1970

Kat's mother sobbed. Her only child had just informed her she was moving away, not out of state, but far from Pittsburgh. Gloria was there for support. She held Mom's hand.

"I can practice law anywhere in Pennsylvania," Kat said. "I'll come home as often as I can. I can't live in a city where a third of the people suspect me of murder and that I framed my husband for the crime."

"You understand," Glo said, handing Mom a fresh tissue as her first was filled with tears. "I'm gonna miss her too but I agree with Kat. She's not safe here."

Kat explained what didn't need explaining. "Everywhere I go it's ugly stares and whispers. Last week a man walked up to me in the market, called me a murdering bitch, and spit at me. Staying here is not an option."

"I understand," Mom wept, "but that doesn't make it any easier. I have no one left. Your father's gone. I buried my brothers and my only sister. You're all I have left and now you're leaving too."

"Mom." Kat reached out to take her and Glo's hands. "You can sell the house. Once I get settled you can move too, wherever I land on my feet."

"This is the only place I know." Mom's voice cracked. "I've lived here my entire life."

Glo glanced at Kat, then back at Mom. "That's what my mother said when Dad suggested they move to Florida. Now she's never coming back."

The younger women watched in silence as Mom's crying faded. She looked up at her daughter with her swollen, red eyes, filled with lingering tears.

"There are always condos available in her community," Glo said. "You know old people, always dying."

"That's terrible, Gloria Marsland," Mom scolded her.

"It's the truth. There are always units on the market."

Mom squeezed Kat's hand. "Okay, we'll see how it is after you leave. I'll think about it."

When the verdict was read in the courtroom it was almost anti-climactic. Most observers knew the defense was a disaster. It was a question of whether a tabloid holdout tainted the jury. It turned out there were two, a man and a woman, ready to acquit. It took several votes over two days and an arm-twisting discussion of court facts versus trashy hearsay before they agreed with the ten guilty votes.

In the weeks following Raymond's conviction, the buzz around town hadn't changed. The Weekly Mail printed stories of the miscarriage of justice brought upon Raymond Landry. They continued to speculate that Kat was involved in the crime.

The latest poll in The Post-Gazette, taken four days after Raymond's trial had three in ten readers believing the femme fatale angle, suspecting Kat of killing Barnes and framing her husband.

Mom blew her nose. "Where will you go?"

"I have letters of recommendation from Jacob Kramer and two judges. Next week I have interviews with the public defender's office in Harrisburg."

"You're too good for public defense," Mom said.

"No one is too good for public defense. It's honorable work."

"What's next?" Asked Glo.

"I'm mostly packed and ready to go. Raymond has a pre-sentencing hearing tomorrow. I plan on visiting him in lock-up."

"What the hell for?"

"To say goodbye."

.

.

-- GOODBYES ---

Raymond fired Russell Stanton and Ed Reynolds hours after the verdict. Then he began crying that he was not adequately represented. He hired new attorneys to handle his appeal. Kat sat opposite Raymond, thick glass between them, using a phone to talk.

"Raymond, shut up. I'm not here to talk about your goddamn case." She paused. "Had you listened to me and not accused me of betraying you I would have helped with your defense. I don't believe you killed Barnes. I don't believe the prosecution proved their case." She stopped again. "You did more damage to your defense than you can imagine and your shitty lawyers did nothing to stop you."

"They tried," he said lowly. "I'm putting the house on the market. I need the cash."

"We're in the midst of a divorce. Half that house is mine. My attorney will make sure I get what's coming to me."

Raymond's face turned red. "What's coming to you is..." He caught himself. "We'll let our lawyers sort that out."

"I'm moving away. Your antics and the tabloid rubbish have made this city unlivable for me. This is goodbye. John Sousa will handle all correspondence. I'll probably see you in court if you foolishly keep fighting a divorce you can't possibly avoid."

"My new attorney is advising me to cut my losses and settle."

"You should have hired him for your defense." Kat stood up. "Goodbye, Raymond."

.

******

On her way out of the building, Kat felt every eyeball that watched her pass in her white summer dress. She stopped by the desk of Detective Leroy Smith. He and Detective Newsome were looking at mugshots when she walked up.

"Leroy, Jerry."

"Hey," Smith looked up from his work. "What brings you here?"

"Raymond's downstairs waiting to be transported to his hearing and I..."

Smith interrupted. "That stunt at the train station was classic Raymond. I don't think he did one thing right this whole time."

After his guilty verdict, Raymond handed over his passport. There were clear restrictions on travel. A week later Ray was arrested at the train station boarding a train to Chicago.

Newsome laughed. "Ray gave us one final headline. It was beautiful."

"And that's why I'm here," Kat said. "The judge revoked bail and he's in lock up. I came in to say goodbye."

"Goodbye? Are you going somewhere?" Asked Newsome.

"You've seen the papers. It's not safe for me here."

Smith nodded. "I agree, and I'm sorry. What the media did to you is inexcusable."

"Just to sell a few damn papers," added Newsome.

"It was really only Pitka," Kat said. "Most papers covered it straight." She looked around the room to make sure no one was close. "I know you tried to help me and I appreciate it. I don't know why. I have so many questions but I think it's best to put this all behind me. I stopped by to say thank you."

Smith stood to shake Kat's hand. She hugged him instead. Then she turned to Newsome and did the same.

"It's good to know there are still good cops in this town. Goodbye, detectives."

"Hey, Kat," Newsome called out as she stepped away. "I have a question."

Kat walked back.

"After all this crap do you still think your husband is innocent?"

"I do. I don't believe the prosecution proved their case. His defense failed. I wish we had his Colt so we could prove it one way or the other."

The men nodded. Kat waved and walked away. As she cleared the room, Smith turned to Newsome.

"Jesus Christ, I thought you were going to ask her on a date."

Newsome nodded. "If I wasn't married..."

"You'd have no shot," Smith said.

"Not even a little?"

"Zero percent."

.

******

Kat stopped by The Post-Gazette to say farewell to Jack Mitchell. They made a toast with Fanta rootbeer. Jack was happy for Kat, but he had questions he wanted answered.

"Those files would be a nice thing to have for someone thinking about writing a book on the abductions, and Barnes, and you Landry's."

"You're going to write a book about us?"

"Who else would you want to write that book?"

"If I ever run into the person who has those files. I'll let them know you're interested."

"I'm sorry about what happened to your life, Kat."

"I did it to myself. Now I have to fix it."

The visit to Kramer & Stein took a while. From the moment she walked in her law family let her know they loved her. It was all too emotional. She wiped away tears as Scott pretended he wasn't choking up.

He broke the tears with, "The train station, Kat. What the fuck?"

"I know. I couldn't believe it... and then I totally could."

"When are you leaving?"

"First thing in the morning," Kat said with a scrunched nose. "Sorry for the late notice."

"Are you sure you want to live in Harrisburg?"

"It might be Philly. I have a few interviews lined up."

"That's no better."

"Honestly, wherever I go will be a stepping stone to the place I want to be."

"And where is that?"

"California. I'm looking into taking the California bar, not now, down the road. I need to take some time and get my legal feet wet."

Scott smiled. "Let me tell you something, doll. You'll fit right in. You have a face for Hollywood."

"That's not why I'm going. I think I'll look into entertainment law. I'm done with murderers, drug dealers, and dirty politicians. I want a more mellow legal career," she smiled. "and maybe some fun."

"I can see you now, an LA power broker."

After her long procession at the office, Kat stopped at the liquor store. She and Glo had plans for her last night... one last hangover. She picked up a case of Yuengling, more than enough, and a pint of whiskey, not too much. Glo ordered a pizza delivery from Cafe Modeno.

A few beers and a large pizza into the night, Glo shook her head. "I still can't believe there wasn't a single tabloid juror. What are the odds?"

"Raymond was a very unlikable defendant as his counsel made an ass of himself. Had I been on his team he would have beaten this, you know that. I had a plan to get him off the hook. Imagine those headlines, Supportive Wife On Defense Team. That alone would have swayed a juror or two."

"Still, after all this crap you went through and a guilty verdict for your abuser, you're thinking about how you could have saved him. What's wrong with you?"

"I'm a defense attorney. That's how I see the world."

After four beers, and a recounting of ex-boyfriends Kat could look up, the girls were getting giddy. Then Kat poured a couple of shots of Wild Turkey. They cracked a fifth Yuengling and that's when lips got loose.

"You will never convince the Kat nutters that you didn't..."

"Fuck!" Kat shouted. "I have nutters now! I'm just like..."

"Billy Barnes, except he did the killing and raping thing, right? That's the difference. You're nutters are wrong."

"But it's the same result," Kat said sadly. "They ruined his career and they've ruined my life."

"I'm glad Ray's in prison," Glo said. "I hope he gets life. I don't even care if he didn't kill Billy. That man is a lunatic, a ticking time bomb. He hurts everyone around him, violently. That's why the jury put him away Kat. I agree with you that he should have beat this but I'm glad he didn't."

"Being an asshole shouldn't get anyone a life sentence."

"Think of people that will save from his abuse. I don't care if he did it or not."

"Then who did? If Ray didn't kill Billy, who did?"

"Let's say you did it," Glo said, leaning against Kat on the sofa. "I wouldn't care. I'm so glad this is over, Kat. I don't care if you did it or how you did it. I'm just happy you survived..." she nodded, "I mean, your life is fucked but you're free to start over."

Kat leaned back to see Glo's eyes, "Are you trying to say you think I did it and it's okay? That would imply you think I'm capable of murder."

Glo didn't like the look in Kat's eyes. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply you..."

"You kinda did. Ya know... we're all capable of taking a life. It happens every day in this world, people killing people."

"I wasn't trying to upset you."

"You didn't, Glo. I'm not upset that you think I'm capable of killing a man because I am. If I was face to face with the threat of death I would pull the trigger. I'm glad I have my Beretta and I know how to use it."

"Is that what happened at Duck Hollow?"

Kat breathed in, and then slowly out, her eyes locked on Gl. That brief hesitation, the breath, and the eyes were Kat's poker face. Kat had a tell when she was busted, or lying.

"Yeah," she said very quietly, barely a whisper. "That's what happened."

Glo didn't react except to stiffen her spine and limbs a little. With Kat by her side, her reaction was felt. Kat sat up and faced Glo.

"What do you want to know?"

"Are you serious?"

"Yes."

"Everything!" Glo said and then got up off the sofa. "Tell me what happened, all of it. Pour two more shots and beers. I have to pee."

Glo walked toward her bathroom but turned before she entered. "I knew it all along, Kat. It started on Fifth Avenue. That's when you decided to kill Billy."

"Not exactly Kat said from the fridge."

While Glo peed, Kat had time to think about her confessing murder to her best friend. There was no one she trusted more, but still, it was murder. When Glo returned, Kat was seated at the kitchen table. A shot and beer in front of her, and the same where Glo sat down.

"I will tell you what happened on one condition..." she paused. "More than one."

"Let me guess, secrecy?"

"That goes without saying." Kat narrowed her eyes. "You just learned that Raymond did not kill Billy Barnes. Do you still think life behind bars is what he deserves for being an insecure asshole?"

"Insecure, violent asshole," Glo added.

"I plan on giving him a get-out-of-jail-free card and you have to shut up about it."

"How do you plan on doing that?"

"In a minute. You're even going to help me do it."

"How?"

"In a minute. Do you agree to help me? It's a very small role."

"You and your fucking schemes." Glo shook her head. "Yeah, sure, I'll spring Jelly from the hoosecow."

"Okay," Kat picked up her shot. Glo did the same. They touched tiny glasses and downed the Wild Turkey, then chased it with a long swig of beer.

"How many beers do we have left?" Glo asked.

"More than we need." She exhaled and looked at Glo.

"You're not wrong about Fifth Avenue. I didn't plan to kill Billy but that was the moment I realized I might have to. He confessed to doing things to Carol Anne."

Glo's eyes grew. "What things? He confessed?"

"He threatened me. Billy said, 'If you don't give him the files you'll get what we gave that Dwyer girl.' That's what he called her, that Dwyer girl. I hated the way he dehumanized her. Anyway, that's a confession in my book."

"What did you say?"

"Nothing. I agreed to meet him at Duck Hollow that night to give him the files."

"So that's why he was there. Why Duck Hollow?"

"I picked the spot. My Dad used to take me fishing there when I was a little girl. It's just over the river from Southside Flats, near the bridge. I told him it was convenient for both of us."

"And you took Raymond's Colt.45 with you?"

"No. I used my dad's Colt. It's the same gun except Dad's is just a plain black model and Ray's is stainless with the fancy handles."

"Where is Ray's gun?"

"I have it. And that's Ray's get-out-of-jail-free card. You'll be delivering that gun."

"To where?"

"The post office."

"Who are you mailing to, the police?"

"I'll get to that later. But once that gun turns up and they learn it's not the murder weapon..."

"Oh, my God. You are the smartest person in the room, like Jack Mitchell says."

"Jack always reminds me that his columns are often satire and lightly fictionalized for news entertainment purposes. Then he tells me I'm not the smartest person in the room, not if he's in it."

"Well," Glo smirked. "He got this one wrong."

The girls bumped cans and downed the rest of the can. "How many is that now?" Kat asked.

Glo counted empty cans on the coffee table, kitchen table, and countertop. "Six."

"We won't need them all. I'll pour shots. You get beers. Now I'm going to tell you the tale of what happened on the night of November 20th."

"You killed him on Thursday? They said Friday morning."

"The coroner was off by two hours," Kat laughed. "Give the guy a break. Damn it. I have to pee."

.

.

--- THE TALE OF DUCK HOLLOW ---

"I don't like that name," Glo said as she lifted her shot glass. "I like," she pondered. "The Death Of A False Hero."

"It's my story. I get to name it."

The girls did the shot and the chaser. Both Kat and Glo had a good drink game. They could handle their booze, but six beers and three shots are more than they usually consume, and they weren't done.

"After Billy threatened me I knew meeting him was risky."

"Then why did you pick a secluded place? That makes no sense. You could have met in a public space."

"And be seen meeting Billy with those headlines about my marriage and the..."

"Okay, I get it." Glo raised her can. "And you get to kill the bastard."

"I don't know why I went to that meeting, Glo. I know Billy's a lunatic. I considered taking those files to Jack Mitchell, or maybe turn them in to the police, but I couldn't trust that the cops would do the right thing."

"Because they wouldn't," Glo added. "Thay have as much to hide as Billy."

"I had this theory that kept me calm ever since I exposed him and Casey. We were in the public record with domestic violence, the police reports, and the media reporting that Ray got his ass kicked. I felt there was no way Billy could hurt me and not be a prime suspect. He had to know that."

"And Ray. They would be the only two suspects."

"I wasn't meeting Ray at Duck Hollow."

"I just realized how lucky you were that Billy threatened you on poker night."

"Yes, that was a lucky break but I didn't feel lucky. You need some shit to go your way if you want to get away with murder." Kat took a small sip of beer, pacing herself after so many drinks.

"Still, my gut told me something bad was going to happen. That's when I made a decision. If I was forced to defend myself there was only one way I could get away with it. Raymond would have to be accused of the murder and I would then have to support and defend him."

"You had that plan before you killed him?"

"I didn't plan to kill Billy. It was not premeditated but if I had to I needed a plan to cover my tracks."

"You couldn't just plead self-defense?"

"Me? In this town? He's considered a hero by some."

Glo nodded. "Okay, you may be right."

"I thought through what would happen in the aftermath. Raymond would be a suspect, maybe the only suspect. Knowing this I used it to my advantage. I slipped on a pair of Ray's size twelve oxfords over my soft bedroom slippers. They fit well enough. Then I drove to Duck Hollow with the files armed to defend myself."

"So you were giving up the files?"

Kat exhaled. "That was a tough decision but I figured I better have them with me in case he gets the upper hand. If I don't have the goods who knows what he'd do?"

"It doesn't matter," Glo said cheerfully. "He never got them."

"When I pulled into the lot at Duck Hollow he was waiting at the far end of the lot. I sat watching him, expecting him to get out of his car, but he didn't. I realized my rental car confused him so I made the first move. As I walked up to his car his windows were rolled down. Billy pointed his revolver at me as I neared the passenger side window and ordered me to get inside. Then he told me to roll up my window and began berating me because I left the files in my car."

"Why did you do that?"

"I don't know. I didn't want to give them up so easily. Those files might do something someday and if I gave them up, Carol Anne would..." Kat began to feel the emotions. "That girl's life was destroyed and I didn't want to give up the proof that he was guilty of that..." Kat took a breath. "Crime doesn't even describe it."

"What did he say?"

"It's not what he said that got him killed. Billy grabbed a fist full of my hair and jammed his gun in my face." Kat stopped to take a deep breath. "He pushed the barrel inside my nostril while cussing me out. The strangest thing happened. I wasn't at all frightened."

Kat paused and closed her eyes, her hands suspended above the table. "I felt calm and my mind moved slowly. I was thinking clearly as he was yelling and yanking my hair. He had no clue I was armed. I had the element of surprise. I was running through my plan, step by step. Billy was so fucking gross, and violent. I could smell his disgusting cigarette and beer breath," she smirked and opened her eyes. "Kind of like I can smell yours right now."

12