We Are the Day Ch. 06

Story Info
An unexpected visitor brings...news.
6.5k words
4.82
9.8k
17

Part 6 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 09/28/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

So, let me first start off by saying thank you to all of my fans that waited patiently for this next chapter. It took longer to write because I was finishing up my externship and last minute things for graduation...and I wanted to really think about this chapter. That being said, I'd like to thank those of you that stuck with me through the first five chapters even though all of the answers weren't "right there"...it says a lot about a person when they will stick around even when they don't have every piece of the puzzle. Again, thank you <3

Happy Reading!

[[CC]]

Chapter Six

I ran, and ran...and ran; the vampire speed would've been exhilarating if I was in a better mood. I weaved in and out of the forestry with no set destination in mind, but I ended up somewhere familiar. My parents were owners of a cabin in Ontario before they died-it now belonged to me, and that's where I found myself.

The cabin was just as I remembered, made of dark wood that I couldn't name, surrounded by trees, and nestled along a small lake. I lifted the worn mat in front of the door and relief flooded through me as I picked up a rusty key—now I wouldn't have to break down the door or climb through a window.

The door unlocked with ease, swinging open to reveal a scene that I hadn't laid eyes on in years. The green, corduroy couch still faced a flat screen television with the quilt my mother and I made draped over the back. My fingers trailed across the fabric as I eyed the fireplace that sat proudly under the television; the wood in it was dry, but I would have to get more. Winter was going to set in soon, and I wasn't sure if my human half would appreciate going without the fire. I was sure my human half wouldn't enjoy the emptiness that found me in the kitchen, either.

If I was thinking this situation through, I would've picked a place that actually had sustenance for my stay, like a hotel or even my old apartment rather than a cabin that had been desolate for almost five years. As if on cue, my stomach did a somersault and gurgled like a geyser.

"Damn."

I went through all of the cabinets in the kitchen, my only gain being an extremely expired can of clam chowder. I stuck my tongue out in disgust, although part of me wanted to open the can just to see how nasty it would smell and look.

It was obvious I needed to go to the store, and the nearest one was about ten miles back. "Damn, again," I muttered as I made my way to the "cash stash" drawer my father invented. He was a smart man who always wanted to be prepared for the worst; too bad it didn't save him in the end. He, nor my mother, were prepared for the drunk driver that took their lives away. I found two hundred dollars and some change in the drawer and sent up a litany of thanks to whomever was listening before running to the "mom and pop" store I saw on the way to the cabin.

"Hey there! Welcome to Clark's," a bubbly, petite brunette greeted me as I walked through the door.

I muttered my thanks before taking a shopping cart. I made quick work of my trip, grabbing items that wouldn't need a freezer or refrigerator, except for eggs. I needed those to fry fish.

"Would you like help getting these to your car?" the brunette asked after she bagged my goods.

"No, thank you. I r-uh...I walked."

Her eyes grew big. "But the nearest place is at least five miles out! You're going to walk five miles, or more, carrying all that?"

"I'm a tough cookie," I faked a smile for the girl and went about my way. I could feel the girl's eyes on me as I crossed the parking lot, so I waited until I was deep into the trees and shrubbery before starting to run. Even though I was weighed down by the groceries hanging from my arms, my feet still moved with amazing speed; so much so that I made it to the front door of the cabin before I realized there were lights on inside. My nose lifted in the attempt to pick up any smell out of the ordinary. When I found nothing out of place, my spirits lowered.

I hated to admit it, but I hoped I would find Damian or Kenna sitting on the couch, waiting to drag me back to South Bend. I wanted someone to come and tell me everything that happened over the past day and a half had been one big joke; but I knew that was a vain hope. My almost death was real, the nameless prisoner was real...Damian's rough past was more than real, as was my reaction.

I tried to forget, but the image of me blue-eyed and illuminated was hard to shake—it's not every day you see yourself looking like a character straight out of a Marvel comic book. I still couldn't believe the mess I left behind; not one aspect of Damian's house was intact. Shutters hung from the house at abnormal angles, every window was shattered, even the lawn bared the signs of my tantrum with torn up shrubbery, potholes, and a dramatic fissure that curved through the front yard. I raked my hands through my hair in my attempt to push the thoughts away. I wasn't ready to think about that stuff yet, especially since I was bound to be left with more questions than answers. My feet carried me to the closet just to the left of the cabin's entrance where my parents and I kept our outdoor gear. Behind the boots, coveralls, and backpacks was my prize: the fishing poles. I picked mine out of the bunch and took to the dock with the bait I purchased at Clark's.

I had always loved to fish with my parents. They taught me the best times to catch unsuspecting fish, how to bait a hook, how to "reel them suckers in", as my father used to say. They taught me the importance of being quiet and still, so as not to scare the fish away. Now that I had come back to the cabin as a half vampire, I knew I would be more than fine in the quiet area; physically, anyway. Mentally, there was so much noise going on that I could barely focus on the task at hand.

It was outside the prime fishing time, but I had to try. Ever since my parents built the cabin, the family tradition was that the first meal of the trip was to be caught; it was a ritual that had never been broken, and I wasn't going to be the first to ruin it.

Besides, if I don't catch a fish, I can test out my vampire weapons arsenal to catch something in the woods, I smirked and wiggled the fishing line. My time on the lake was cut short by the pulling of my catch on the other end of the line. "Tug, tug, reel," I recited the steps my father taught me to secure a catch as I stood up on the dock. The fish broke through the water and I cracked a smile. "Walleye." With my catch in hand, I ventured into the cabin and straight to the cabinet in the kitchen where my dad's special fish batter recipe was kept. I went to work, thankful for a distraction from my thoughts, and it worked for a while; until my phone started ringing again.

I continued to prepare my lunch, but when the homey sound of my catch sizzling and popping in oil was drown out by the incessant ringing, I went to switch the volume to silent mode. I said I wouldn't, but I looked at the texts and missed call log. I even had the gall to listen to the voicemails.

The frown I was sporting became more pronounced as I listened to and read the messages. It pained me to know I hurt Kenna and Damian by leaving, but it was in their best interest for me to go away. If something tipped me over the edge, I didn't want to be around and end up hurting them. Damian could probably live through most of the damage I could inflict, but Kenna was still human and I couldn't be responsible for her death if something went wrong. I probably wouldn't live through her death; I already lost my parents, I wasn't going to lose my best friend too.

My finger hovered over the "power button" when a new text came in. The name on the ID startled me.

"Carter?"

I opened the message, my curiosity awakened.

*I know where you are ;p*

I laughed in spite of my anxiety.

*No you don't.*

His responding text was a picture of my location on Google Earth. I almost dropped my phone into the frying pan.

*WTF Carter???*

*These vamps around here have all these special gifts, but all you really need is a cell phone number and you can find virtually anyone on the planet.*

*So I should probably turn it off. Not that it'll do any good since Damian CAN READ YOUR MIND!!!*

*He's not worried about my mind when he's about to lose his.*

I had to change the subject as quick as possible before guilt had me running toward South Bend.

*Where's Kenna*

*Apartment...waiting for you. She thinks you'll go there...*

That didn't help.

He fired another text before I could begin typing a response.

*D on the prowl. Shut down.*

It took me all of two seconds to completely crush my phone and half as long to realize that I could've taken the battery out and it would've been just as effective in keeping Damian from finding me. I spent my entire meal fuming that I had lost my connection to civilization.

But this is what you wanted, I told myself. You came all the way out here to be alone, and now you got it. That didn't stop me from feeling lonely or guilty. Kenna was waiting for me to come back while Damian was running around like a chicken with his head cut off.

"One of his heads does need to be cut off," I huffed while snuggling up on the couch. There were plenty of bedrooms in the cabin, but I didn't want to venture into them just yet. I hadn't been to the cabin since my parents died, and I wasn't ready to face the emptiness yet. I was a woman full of conflicting feelings, the happenings of the day behind me stated as much and proved that I did need this time apart, no matter how lonely or guilty it made me feel.

The following morning was the first time in a long time that I woke up alone; it was unsettling but somehow welcome. Birds sang their morning songs as squirrels scurried across fallen leaves and tree branches. Some fish came to the surface of the lake for a quick breather while others left the surface altogether, splashing the water as if they were playing. My lips raised into a somewhat smile.

"I trust you slept well."

I flipped off the couch, landing into a full crouch, a hiss escaping my lips. I stared at the man that spoke to me-I had never seen him before, but there was something recognizable in his voice. It made me relax some.

"Why can't I smell you?" I asked, straightening up out of my crouch.

"I can mask my scent. Maybe I should have let you smell me first...not that it would've helped any," he said, wedging his ankle over his opposite knee and peering at me from his position at the dining room table. His head cocked to the side. "You've taken to vampirism well."

I shrugged. "That's debatable."

"My name is Elias."

"That doesn't really explain who you are."

"It doesn't," he smiled as he continued to look at me.

"How old are you?" The man staring at me had to be at least twenty-something. He had a youthful face, but, conversely, the hair on his head was white, unlike the nearly black appearance of his eyebrows and lashes. He was a walking contradiction.

"You love to ask people that," he smirked. "I'm very old. Older than the ground that sits under you."

"That tells me little."

"I've been here since before Time."

"So, you're an angel?"

"No."

"Demon?"

"Nope."

"I know you're not God."

"No," he smiled.

I huffed. "I hate guessing games."

"Heavenly host. Not really an angel; I'm not as important."

"I thought heavenly hosts and angels were the same."

He contemplated this. "Most people do. Let's not trouble ourselves with what I am. I'm here for a specific purpose—,"

"I know, I know," I flipped my hands into the air, "I'm a fornicator. But I mean, who isn't these days? The whole 'wait 'til marriage' thing is so old fashioned and—,"

"I'm not here to talk about your sexual activity, Taylor. I want to talk about your gifts." His smile hinted at amusement.

"That's where I recognize your voice from," I said, as I sat back on the couch. "You were the voice in my head."

"I was."

"What do you know about what I can do?"

"Everything. It was I who gifted you. Maybe I should start from the beginning," Elias said, assessing my confusion. "You are a rare breed of human, Taylor; even before your Turning this statement was true. I gifted you at the time of your conception. Every once in a while, we get a command to gift people with different abilities; some get infinite wisdom, some are gifted with limitless self-control; there are even some people that are gifted with the ability to give unconditional love. There are other gifts that aren't so readily passed out."

"Like being able to create storms and burn holes through people with lightning?"

He nodded. "To manipulate the weather is a very rare occurrence. Once every few thousand years, if memory serves me correctly."

Manipulate weather? "Why?" I asked, horrified. "No person should be given so much power."

Elias shrugged. "His ways are higher than our ways."

"You said I was gifted before birth...so this has nothing to do with becoming a vampire?"

"Yes, and no. You being a half breed brought to life what was lying dormant within you and amplified it."

"So," I began, readjusting on the couch, "what about regular vamps then? How is it that they can do special things?"

"You know the story of the Fall, I'm sure. Your parents took you to Sunday school." I nodded and he continued. "Well, what the Fallen didn't know was that even though they gave up their spots in heaven, were cast to the Earth and called cursed, they still had some of their angelic nature; now, not so much, but in the beginning they did. So, they unknowingly started to make vampires, up until this day we don't know how it worked. A genetic mutation? Luck and chance? Who knows? But anyway, the point is, vampirism isn't purely demonic like a lot of people think. Yes, there are demon-like qualities that are associated with vampirism: the thirst, the insatiable sexual appetite; the feral, animalistic behavior; but, the gifts they possess are of angelic origins. Every person that was bitten has a choice to be bad or good, to use their gifts for good or evil. There is good in everyone in the beginning, it's just a matter of if they decide to tap into that or not. Damian Andros learned this early, and it has served him well...though his torture methods are slightly barbaric."

"So, all vampires are angel and demon, in one?"

"The good ones, yes. The one that tried to kill you, I'm afraid, is all demon now. There are many out there like him."

"Do the Rogues know this?"

"Of course they do. They're not stupid. They turned people and led them to believe that there was no hope for them, that they had to be bad because that's what they were destined to be. But they are not my concern right now. You are."

"Why? To me, crazy demons should trump the lightning-throwing chick."

"You're not just some chick that throws lightning, Taylor," Elias said as he rose from the chair and strolled to one of the windows that overlooked the lake. He was silent for too long and it made me nervous. "You've heard the story of Jacob's Ladder?"

"Refresh my memory."

"Jacob was a fighter. He fought with his brother Esau before they were even out of the womb."

"I remember. Esau was born first, but Jacob was born with a grip on Esau's ankle, foot, or something..."

"Right. All his life Jacob fought, deceived, tricked, lied...but God saw purpose in him. He was granted a dream of a ladder that stretched from Earth to Heaven."

"So there really is a ladder? Where is it?"

"Well...it's more of a Bridge. You've heard the phrase 'a bridge between the worlds'."

"Yeah," I shrugged. "But that was almost always in reference to a person," my voice trailed off as I studied Elias. He turned to look at me with a peculiar expression on his face. Sympathy and awe were the dominating expressions, and they told me everything I needed to know. "Great," I sighed, plopping back onto the couch. "Just freaking great."

"Once every thousand years or so, a Bridge is chosen to keep the connection."

"And I get no say so, do I? Just like I was turned into a vampire half-breed against my will."

"But you're starting to like that, are you not?"

"Take it back."

"What?"

"I don't want it."

"But you were wanting to keep it just yesterday."

I choked on the words I was about to utter. He was right, and it annoyed me. "People change their minds."

"Well, you can't."

"GAH! Is there anything else I should know?!? Maybe I'm going to spout a third eyeball and shoot lightning out of that one!"

"That won't happen, Taylor."

"Then what will happen?"

"I don't have the answer to that."

"Well then, how did you know that I was the Bridge or whatever?"

"I've known since you were a teen. Sit down and let me explain, Taylor. Do you want me to fix you something to eat?"

"Hosts can cook?"

His grin was sheepish. "I could try."

I shook my head.

"The history of the Bridge started with Jacob, as you know...the next bridge on file was Jesus. He only lasted for a very short time, as you know."

"So I can heal the sick, raise the dead, and all of that?"

"Jesus was a special case...and so are you. You are the first vampire-Bridge that we have encountered."

"So, no one knows what I can do?"

"We speculate. Then we have seen displays of your power. Yesterday was not the first time we saw you go blue."

"What do you mean?"

"The car accident."

My entire world stopped for a fraction of a second. "The night my parents died?"

"Your power saved you. The car was headed right for you guys, you saw it, and were gone the next second."

I didn't want to hear what he was telling me. There was no way that I was a Bridge back then. If that was the case...

"Why didn't I save my parents, too?"

"You can't think of it like that, Taylor."

"How else am I supposed to think of it? I had the power to save my family but I didn't."

"Did you remember saving yourself? Do you even remember ending up in your bed that night?"

"No."

"Exactly! You had no control over your power then. Even if you knew what was happening, you couldn't have changed anything."

"Is this supposed to be your big case to get me to be this Bridge thing? 'I can't change anything, so I have to enlist'? That's pretty crappy, if you ask me."

"You're already the Bridge. If you want to see the world fall to ruin because you refuse to use the power you have, then go for it. You didn't have the choice of whether you could save your parents or not back then, but you have the choice in whether you want to save the world or not."

"The world?"

"This is too much for one day."

"No," I began, knowing where he was headed with his train of thought. "You've started this much, you might as well tell me the rest."

Elias didn't speak, but stared at me, his dark eyes contemplative. When he continued to stay silent, I rose from the couch and met him at the window that stood next to his.

"Jerusalem, the blood smuggling, the Rogues, the crazy prisoner in Yuma...they're all linked. The Rogues want to rise to power and overtake the world, and I'm supposed to keep that from happening?"

"The Rogues do not desire power. They have it. They want to get out of Jerusalem to choose a Gate, who will want to overtake the world."

"And this Gate is what?"

"Your opposite."

"So the Gate is the link between Hell and Earth. Fun."

"I will not tell you any more today. This is too much for even my ears. Come, you must be hungry."

"Actually, I kinda lost my appetite."

My appetite didn't return for days. I could see the worry etched in Elias's features, but he remained silent and distant. At first, I thought it odd for him to be hanging around the cabin with me, but on the third day of his visit he explained that he was sent to train me to be the Bridge. I felt bad for wasting his time as I sat around moping, but each time I tried to talk myself into getting up and facing reality, I found a new reason to stay on the couch.

12