Weathering the Storm Ch. 04

Story Info
Scarlett and Joe's relationship blossoms.
10.5k words
4.85
11.2k
33
21

Part 4 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 06/27/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Drawn_Drew
Drawn_Drew
117 Followers

*** Thank you to everyone that has read, voted for and commented on 'Weathering the Storm' so far. Here is the fourth instalment, and at present I'm not sure if there will be any more - it depends entirely on the reception that this chapter receives from you, the readers! I hope you enjoy it. ***

I opened my eyes to see sunlight streaming into my room around the curtains, and realised that I had forgotten to set my alarm. Looking at the clock on my bedside table, I discovered that it was half past nine; this was the longest I'd slept in for a long time. Getting up and leaving Scarlett's naked embrace was getting harder by the day! Nevertheless, I had to work on Scarlett's car and I had Brendan's help for the day, so it was time to get moving.

I eased my way out of the 'big spoon' position, and Scarlett stirred as my hand moved across her belly and slid from beneath hers. "Mmmm. Stay, baby," she murmured.

"I'd love to, Scarlett, but it's time for me to get up; if I don't, your car will never get finished! You can sleep in for a bit longer, though, if you're tired?" I suggested.

"It's okay," she said, rubbing her eyes and sitting up. "I'm awake. Would it be okay if I took a bath this morning?"

"Of course! I'll go and put some coffee on, then, and get started." I pulled together my outfit for the day, dressed while Scarlett watched me with hungry eyes, then gave her a long, slow kiss and headed downstairs.

To my surprise, I arrived in the kitchen to find Brendan sitting at the table with Nicola in his lap, the pair of them talking in hushed tones and sipping coffee. "Morning, guys!" I beamed. "Did you two have a nice evening?"

"Hi Joe," Nicola responded. "It was amazing, thanks... and this morning wasn't bad either - twice!" she added with a flirty giggle.

"I don't know where I found the strength," Brendan chuckled, blushing slightly. "I get the feeling I'm going to be a bit tired today, for some reason, but I'll do my best."

"Hey," I smiled, "I'm just glad you guys like each other, and that you had a good time. I'll be painting for most of the day, so if you want to take it easy, be my guest."

"I'll see how I go," he said. "I'm supposed to be back at work tomorrow, but I was thinking of taking the rest of the week off and staying here to help, if that's okay?"

"And I presume that this means that you're staying the week as well, Nic?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Well..." she said, giving me a sheepish smile, "it might be nice." She gave Brendan a kiss.

"As long as your parents are okay with it, you're welcome."

"You're the best, buddy," Brendan grinned, giving me an appreciative clap on the back. "I'm gonna pop over to Nicola's place later on and say hi to her parents, just so they know I'm not a predator."

"They won't think that," Nicola giggled. "They're both super laid back. Anyway, I don't get this obsession with my parents approving everything - I'll be twenty this year, so it's not like I'm a kid! They let me do what I want, and I'm sure they're taking full advantage of me being away and fucking all over the house!"

"Mental image not needed!" Brendan laughed.

"Ready to get started in the workshop?" I asked.

"Actually," he replied, "I'm really hungry this morning for some strange reason, and Nic has offered to cook breakfast for everyone."

"Ooh, I think I could go for a full English breakfast, now that you mention it!" I said. "I don't mind cooking it, though. Scarlett's in the bath at the moment, but I'm sure she'll be hungry by the time it's ready."

"I love cooking, especially in your kitchen!" Nicola explained. "It's so well laid out. You two have some coffee and chat, and I'll make breakfast."

Scarlett's timing was impeccable, and she padded into the kitchen just as Nicola was putting the food onto plates. We filled our faces with sausages, bacon, eggs, baked beans and hash browns, and finished with more coffee and orange juice. Finally replete, Brendan announced that he had enough energy to get started, making us all laugh. "Okay, you three get cracking on the mechanicals, and I'll get the car sprayed in primer," I said.

When I flicked on the heaters and emerged from the spray booth an hour and a half later, Brendan called me over. "The engine's had it," he explained. "It's so worn that I don't think it can even be re-bored, so I don't know what to do."

"I thought that might be the case," I replied. "As it happens, I've got a spare that's been re-built and is ready to go. I bought it for the Frogeye Sprite before I decided to get a bigger engine; it'll just need a gearbox, and I ordered one of those. It's under the workbench over there," I pointed.

"In that case, let's get it on the bench and put together!" he smiled with relief. I could tell that the project was becoming as close to his heart as it was to mine. He and the girls had certainly been busy while I'd been in the paint booth; while Brendan had re-assembled the steering and suspension components on the subframes, the girls had been fitting the new seat cushions and covers that I'd ordered and done an excellent job, and I was confident that the inside would look as good as the rest of the car. The pile of bits on the pallets was diminishing by the hour, and, thanks to all the extra help it looked like the Mini would be ready well ahead of schedule.

By mid-afternoon, the engine and gearbox had been assembled and we had done as much as we could on the mechanicals without them being back on the car. The Mini was ready to receive its next layers of paint, and due to the toxic nature of the chemicals involved I had to be alone in the spray booth; as a result, Scarlett decided to accompany Brendan on their visit to Nicola's parents.

I spent a couple of enjoyable hours covering the little car in Riviera Blue paint, and even I was surprised by how good it looked as I turned on the heaters and left the booth. With the others still not back, I cleaned the workshop and checked the outstanding tasks to be done and figured we would be able to finish the car in the next two days as long as I got the lacquer topcoat on the Mini that evening. I was peeling off my paper overalls when my phone rang, a number I didn't recognise appearing on the display.

"Hello, Joe speaking," I said cheerfully.

"Hi Joe, it's Susan! Scarlett gave me your number; I hope that's okay?"

"Of course! Hi Susan! Is everything okay?"

"Oh, everything's fine, dear. I called Scarlett earlier to see how things were going, and she said she was planning on staying with you for the rest of the week. I hope that's okay?"

"Of course! We've also got her friend Nicola staying, and my best friend Brendan, so I've got quite the house full. I'm really enjoying it, actually - I've discovered that I've been something of a recluse for far too long!" I chuckled.

"Oh, wow. I guess you've been a bit too busy to get much done on the Mini, then."

"On the contrary, actually. Brendan is a mechanical genius, and Nic and Scarlett have been a big help, so I'm hoping to have it all done by Friday for you. Perhaps you could come over and have dinner with us, and take it home?"

"Really?" she asked in surprise. "That would be lovely! I take it that the car wasn't as bad as you feared then?"

"It was pretty bad," I chuckled, "but it's only a small car and it was easier to replace most of the bits than try and repair them."

"Oh dear," she sighed. "I hope it wasn't too expensive. You must let me know what I owe you."

I knew that there was no way I could tell her how much it had cost; including the replacement engine, it was well into five figures. "Oh, it wasn't that bad," I lied. "And having to put up with the four of us at dinner on Friday will be punishment - I mean payment - enough!"

"I can't let you do that, Joe!" she gasped in astonishment. "Seriously, I need to know how much I owe you. Getting it going the other day was one thing, but all these repairs..."

"Susan, please," I interrupted. "Restoring cars is my hobby, and I've enjoyed every second of working on it. Plus, I've got to spend lots of time with Scarlett, and Brendan and Nicola too. It's been a real treat, honestly, and I'm not going to spoil it with a vulgar discussion about money!"

"Well, we'll see. Anyway, I can't thank you enough for everything, and I'll see you for dinner on Friday. Don't worry about dessert, though, because I'll bake something nice."

"That sounds lovely, Susan! Okay, I'm looking forward to it; I'll see you then. Bye for now!" Ending the call after yet more thanks and goodbyes, I felt better than I had in years.

Only a few minutes later, Scarlett called. "Hi baby! We are going to grab a takeaway for dinner - Brendan's treat - and I wanted to see what you wanted."

At this rate, I was going to get fat! We settled on the traditional fish and chips, and fifteen minutes later we were seated together around the dining table. "So how did it go? Were you a hit with Nicola's parents, Bren?"

The girls burst out laughing and Brendan blushed. "I just about died," he admitted. I was intrigued.

"Well, you know how I told you about my parents being laid back?" Nicola said. I nodded. "Well, my dad was playing the part of the aloof father, all strict and stern, and he asked Brendan what his intentions were for his daughter. Bren was like a deer in the headlights and didn't know what to say, so I piped in and just said, "Oh, romance, love, and lots of kinky sex. That sort of stuff." He looked like he was torn between either passing out on the carpet or running for the door!"

"Oh my God!" I chuckled. "I'm not surprised! What did your dad say to that?"

"He just clapped Brendan on the back and said, "Fair enough!"" she giggled. "My parents are used to my wind-ups, and like to torment my boyfriends too, in a friendly way. Bren was a hit with my dad though - they got talking about cars," she added, rolling her eyes. "Oh, and my dad said he can't wait to meet you either!"

"I'll look forward to that," I commented with a wry smile. "Just give me a bit of warning so I can make sure I'm wearing brown underpants that day!"

"I'm sure you'll be safe," Nicola retorted. "If Brendan can survive without soiling himself, then you'll be okay."

"Yeah, her dad's actually super cool," he added. "He loves classic cars and was very jealous of my Austin Healey. I told him that you had a Frogeye and a Jensen, and he was almost champing at the bit wanting to come over and see them. He's got an old Triumph Spitfire, but it's seen better days." He looked at me with a pleading expression.

"Our next project?" I suggested.

"You wouldn't mind?" Nicola asked.

"No, it's fine!" I chuckled "Let's get the Mini finished first, though, eh?"

"You guys are the best!" she beamed, rising from the table and giving us both a hug. "How about we watch a movie or something?"

"You guys can, by all means," I said. "I've got to get the top coat on the Mini tonight so we can start putting it all together tomorrow."

"You won't be too long, will you, baby?" Scarlett whispered in my ear. "Don't forget we've got plans!"

"I'll be done by the time your movie's over," I promised.

When I emerged from the paint booth a couple of hours later, Scarlett was in the workshop waiting for me. "Hi baby!" she smiled, giving me a wet kiss. "All done?"

"Yep!" I said, peeling off my paper overalls and throwing them in the rubbish. "I think you'll be pleased when you see it."

"Unlike something else I've just seen, which came as a pretty big shock." Her smile faded into a stern expression.

"What?" I asked, suddenly wary.

Scarlett picked up the delivery note that Brendan had left carelessly on one of the benches. "This. Seriously, Joe! Almost ten grand, and that doesn't include the paint or the new engine that you already had. Mum and I will never be able to afford this! Why didn't you ask before you started?"

"Hang on, baby girl. Let me explain, please. I didn't ask about the cost due to the simple reason that it's my budget, not yours, that I'm using."

"I don't follow." Scarlett looked puzzled.

"What I mean is, I have no intention of asking either of you for a penny. Your mum has already asked how much it cost, and I managed to dodge the question. I know we could have got you another Mini, or something else, for a lot less - but it was your nan's car and I know how special it is to you both. It's had a hard life over the last fifty years, so I set out to do a good job and make sure that it'll hopefully last for as long again for you both."

Scarlett was speechless; tears formed in her eyes and she flung herself into my arms, wrapping her legs around my waist and kissing me fiercely. When we finally broke apart, I asked, "Is that okay? You're not mad any more?"

"Joe, I wasn't ever mad - I was just worried. But... you've known me for less than a week. Why would you do this for me, and for my mum?"

"It's not something I've done before," I admitted, "but I have my reasons for wanting to help."

"We might not be rolling in cash, but we aren't a charity case or anything," she said defensively.

"That's not it at all!" I responded, feeling hurt.

"Then why, Joe? It's not unreasonable of me to ask."

"No, it's not. I just don't know if you're ready to hear my answer," I said sadly.

"Now I really am worried. Will you tell me?"

"Okay," I sighed deeply, not seeing how I could get out of it. "I think... no, I'm sure. Scarlett, I love you. I think I have ever since our first date; I've never felt like this about anyone before, not even my ex." I hadn't even admitted the scale of my feelings to myself until that moment. "I just wanted to do something nice for you, and for your mum, that's all."

"Oh," she said simply. "But you could have bought me flowers or something, and that would have been something nice."

"Yeah, but would that have helped you get to college, or your mum get to work?" I asked. She shook her head, conceding my point. "Plus, this is something practical that I have the skills to do, so there's a little bit of me in it, too."

"And how do you know that you love me, after such a short time?" she asked.

Well, I hadn't expected her to feel the same, but that question really took me by surprise; it really stung. "I can't really explain," I said. "It's just something I feel. Like, everything with you feels wonderful. I wake up every morning, eager to open my eyes just to look at you. I enjoy every second I get to spend in your company, no matter what we're doing, and when we aren't together I can't stop thinking about you. I just feel... complete whenever I'm with you. Like whatever my life has been missing all these years has suddenly arrived."

She stood silently for a moment, before saying, "Can I just have a little while to think? This is a lot to take in."

I choked back the tears that I could feel forming. "Of course," I replied, my voice wavering. "I understand. If you need to go home, I'm sure Brendan would take you."

"Thanks," she mumbled, turning and walking back into the house.

I had been so happy only a few minutes earlier, and now everything seemed to be going wrong. I couldn't face the thought of sitting in the lounge and pretending everything was okay, or hiding out in my room; with nothing left to do in the workshop for the time being, I crept into the kitchen and collected the keys to the Jensen. It definitely wasn't a quiet car, and everyone would hear it the second that I started it, but that couldn't be helped.

As soon as the engine roared into life I put the car into gear and pulled away; I saw the side door of the house open as I reached the end of the driveway, but I didn't hang around to see who appeared. A few yards along the road I pulled over, paired my phone with the concealed stereo and put on the playlist of sad songs that had been my 'go to' music for difficult times for the past few years.

I was soon out in the open country and was able to open the car up on the deserted winding B-roads. I'd been away from the house for about half an hour when my phone, which I'd placed in the centre console, started ringing; glancing down I saw Scarlett's name flash up on the screen. Though I'm not normally one to ignore calls, I wasn't ready to hear the words, "It's over," from her just yet, so I flicked my phone into 'Do Not Disturb' mode and returned to my playlist. With dampening eyes as Elton John's 'Skyline Pigeon' blasted through the speakers, I took the Jensen up to 120mph on the long, straight road across the moor.

Around an hour later, I pulled over at the edge of the road and got out to stretch my legs. The night had turned chilly, and I regretted not bringing a coat; I quickly returned to the warm interior of the Jensen and checked my phone. Fifteen missed calls, with eleven being from Scarlett, one from Susan and three from Brendan. I decided to call my best friend first, being in need of a sympathetic ear. He answered on the first ring.

"Joe, are you okay? Where the hell are you?"

"Just at the far side of the Forest of Bowland," I said. "I needed a drive. I take it you took Scarlett home?"

"No, you silly sod; we're all still here, just worried about you. Hang on a sec."

"Joe? Baby?" It was Scarlett's voice.

"Hi. How are you feeling?" I asked.

"Fucking terrible," she sniffed. "Baby, I'm sorry. Please will you come back so we can talk?"

"I will," I promised. "I won't be too much longer; I was about to turn back anyway. I just had to clear my head, and driving helps me do that. I didn't think you'd still be there."

"Of course I'm still here. Baby, I just really need to talk to you; there's a lot I need to say."

"I'll be home in about an hour, Scarlett. Don't worry, okay?"

"Okay. I'm sorry, Joe."

I ended the call. She was still calling me 'baby', but I figured that was probably just habit and was pretty certain that the talk she wanted to have would end our relationship. Remembering the missed call from Susan, I decided to call her back.

"Hi Joe!" she said. "Thanks for calling me back. I wanted to have a little chat with you - I spoke to Scarlett earlier on this evening."

Shit. "Oh," was all I could think of to say.

"Are you home?" she asked.

"No, I'm just out for a drive."

"Okay, well I think you should head home. Scarlett's really worried. She told me what happened."

I couldn't think of anything to say, other than, "I'm sorry."

"What for? Joe, love, it's okay to go for a drive if you need to think. I do that too, sometimes, and I told her not to worry and that you'd be back soon. She also told me that the car repairs cost quite a lot, and what you said to her."

"I'm sorry," I said again.

"Don't be, love. I think it's really special that you'd do that for her, and for me too. And as for you telling her you love her - I could tell you did when you came by on Sunday. It was as plain on the nose on your face, just from how you looked at her."

"Was it? I didn't even realise I loved her until today, when she asked me why I wanted to repair the car. Anyway, I guess I'll bring it to you on Friday; we should still be done on time."

"Is the dinner invitation not still open?" she asked in surprise.

"I have the distinct feeling that after Scarlett's said what she needs to say, she'll want me to take her home," I said sadly.

"I wouldn't get too worried on that score just yet," she reassured me. "I'll assume that I'm still coming for dinner on Friday unless you call me with a change of plan. Now, drive safely, and if you need anything, just give me a call. Okay?"

"Thanks Susan. I'll call you tomorrow," I replied, ending the call.

The drive home was filled with trepidation, but I got back in less than an hour. As I reversed the Jensen onto the drive, the side door was flung open and Scarlett appeared; she darted barefoot onto the driveway, opened my door and enveloped me in a massive hug before I even had time to switch off the engine. "Oh, baby, I missed you."

Drawn_Drew
Drawn_Drew
117 Followers