We'll Always Have Paris Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Bettina went on: "And State Senator Maxine Watts says that the Legislative Minorities Caucus will not support any measure except a 'jungle style' non-partisan election in November, with a runoff amongst the top two vote-getters three weeks later. Watts says that it is important to have a runoff, quote, 'just because the racist Val Jared is opposed to a runoff', close quote. But many Democrats, including hardliner Katherine Woodburn, who is part of the 'Gang of Eight', say that Maxine Watts does not represent the position of the Democrat caucus in the State Legislature."

"And in other political news," said Bettina, "Karl Frazier's Public Policy Polling is predicting a 'blue wave' election. We have Mr. Frazier here with us. Karl, what are we going to see in November?"

"Bettina, it's looking ugly for the Republicans." said Frazier. "They are badly fractured between the Establishment and the Grassroots, and while some Republicans are embracing Val Jared's policies, those that aren't doing so are finding themselves far down to their Democrat opponents, by as much as ten points in some areas of the State."

"Karl, what are the key battleground areas?" asked Bettina.

"The suburbs, Bettina." said Frazier. "Palmyra County, northeast of Midtown, has been a solidly Republican area for years, but may flip to blue. Westphalia and Eastphalia. And the northwest corner, which includes the Town & County and University areas, have been mixed but are trending blue right now."

"Is this because of Val Jared and his racist, white nationalist policies?" asked Bettina.

"We're not seeing that, Bettina." said Frazier, in a 'random act of journalism', i.e. accidentally telling the truth. "Many don't see Jared's policies as racist at all. They're more angry at the Establishment Republicans that continue to support crony capitalist businesses and illegal immigration while making empty promises to the Voters."

"Tell us about the local races, Karl." said Bettina. "What are the numbers, so far?"

"The Sheriff's race is solidly in Chief Griswold's favor over Della Harlow." said Karl Frazier. "Her campaign to attack Griswold through Commander Don Troy is not working at all, and is even alienating voters that might otherwise be friendly to her. The D.A.'s race is going to be interesting, as Miriam Walters's lead over Jenna Stiles is five points right now, but has been fluctuating. Ted Mason is leading Savannah Fineman in the Solicitor's race by a slim margin. And the one that we think will go down to the wire, the Mayor's race, is dead even right now. Eldrick X. Weaver has a one to two point lead over Daniel Allgood, depending on what hour you ask, but that is well within the margin of error..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As they watched in the Chief's Conference Room, Cindy said "Wow, they're making progress in Midtown. Don and Laura should go on vacation more often."

"Heh heh heh heh." chuckled the Chief. "I would say that those people are a total joke... except that they control every aspect of our lives."

"You're starting to sound like Commander Troy, Chief." Tanya Perlman said with a cherubic grin.

"Somebody has to say it." said Teresa. "A pox on both their political houses." she continued, quoting Shakespeare.

"It is waaayyyyy too early for Shakespeare, Ms. Croyle." admonished the Chief. "I haven't had my second cup of coffee yet." He saw Cindy yawn, and said "And Commander Ross needs a second cup, toooooo."

"Teresa," Cindy said, "let me ask you a question. Callie and I had occasion to ride through the Heritage Cloisters subdivision last night. No guard at the gate, no Security riding around or even parked, and it felt like the place, the whole subdivision, was just dead. You seeing that, too?"

"Oh yes." said Teresa. "That's one reason Todd and I are building on the mountainside, next to The Cabin. The HOA fees there are an abomination, almost as much as some people's full mortgages, yet they keep telling us they have to cut back on Security people to keep costs in line. So the gates may not be manned during evening and night hours, and Security only patrols regularly on weekends... it's hit-or-miss on weeknights."

"Do we need to step up Police patrols there, Captain?" asked the Chief.

"We could, sir." said Teresa. "But I think the point is that our HOA fees seem to be going down a rabbit hole, with little to show for it... hell, Ian McGhillie's Mountain Valley Golf Course is kept in better shape than the Heritage Cloisters course... that's not to insult McGhillie's course, but the fees we're paying should be more than enough to maintain a top-class golf course, much less good security in the subdivision."

"Hmmm..." Cindy said. "Think someone needs to look into their finances?"

"If only we had probable cause." said Teresa.

"Why don't you a-ttennnd an HOA meeting, Captain," said the Chief, "and ask for an audit of their books. Their reaction may give you the 'probable cause' you neeeeeeed."

"Not a bad idea." said Tanya Perlman.

"It's times like these that remind meeeee," said the Chief, "that we should look for a really good financial forensics investigator. No insult to the good people we have, but I'd love to have someone with Julie Newton's forensic abilities, though with a lot better integrity, of course."

"That is something Don has discussed with me, sir." said Tanya "But it keeps getting put on the back burner. And Sonali and Chris Purvis have done a pretty good job with that stuff."

"And I can help, too." said Cindy.

"I think you are going to find the Police budget very time-con-suuuuumm-ming, Ms. Ross." said the Chief. "Especially as we move towards year-end and the Town Assembly begins their budget talks..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We arrived at City Airport at noon, local time, Friday, September 7th. Despite flying west, which is better vis-a-vis jetlag than flying east, and despite sleeping on the plane, Laura and I were both extremely tired as we went through Customs (only having water from the River Jordan to declare).

"How are we getting home?" asked Laura.

"Maybe that guy will give us a lift." I said, indicating the man in a suit and tie coming up to us. It was FBI Special Agent In Charge Jack Muscone.

"Hi guys, how was your trip?" Jack said as he hugged Laura and shook my hand.

"Great!" I said. "But tiring."

"I'm not surprised." said Jack. "Let me take you through the secret Government back ways out of here." He led us through a door that went through security areas I'm not allowed to discuss, and out an innocuous door that led to a restricted-entry parking lot.

Laura suggested I sit in the shotgun seat and talk to Jack. We were barely out of the airport and onto the Interstate when I looked back to see her lying on the seat, asleep. Smart woman, she was.

"Shit's hitting the fan already over your little sojourn to 'gay Paree'." Jack said. "I got word from Washington that the Russian Government has already asked for an 'explanation' of the attack on Vassily Kurchikov. The CIA Director tried to say your sister and the Israelis were behind the attack, and got slapped back. Seems Mr. Kurchikov's brother was the chessplayer that came over all dead in your County, and Mr. Putin is very aware of it, and of who you are. His people are much less than pleased with the attempt to blame your sister.."

"Our current CIA Director is going to start World War Three if they're not careful." I said.

"The scary thing about that is that you're far more correct than you might realize." said Muscone, as he took the Interstate exit to the highway that would become the University Highway, which led to home. "Senator Nunn and some other Conservative Senators are considering just how much of this to bring up in public."

"Every bit of it, as far as I'm concerned." I said. "The light of day needs to be shined upon what the CIA Director is doing."

"I agree with you." said Jack. "Washington, however, as is their wont, is deeply divided. The Swamp is bubbling merrily, right now."

"Hoo boy." I said. I then began thinking about it. In one way, it amazed me that li'l ol' me, a 'local cop on the beat', was at the center of an international incident and some deep machinations with worldwide ramifications. On the other hand... I wouldn't have it any other way...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"DADDY!"

I heard that sound as I opened the door to The Cabin. A five-year-old Amazon Princess rushed into me, and slammed herself against my legs. I picked Carole up and gave her a hug as Bowser barked excitedly.

"Hi, Fussbudget." I said. "Did you take care of your brothers while Mommy and I were gone?"

"Yes, Daddy, and my sister Tasha, too." Carole said, which made me proud to hear. "Hey Mommy!" she then said, reaching out for Laura. I handed Carole off to her mother, petted Bowser, then braced for impact as three boys came charging at me.

Once all the greetings were done, I looked up. I was surprised to see who was talking with my mother Phyllis and Molly's mom Maggie. It was Melina Allgood.

"Hi guys." she said. "Did you have a good trip?"

"Yes, it was wonderful." Laura said as she hugged her sister. "What brings you to be here for our arrival?"

"Oh, I have a small gift for Don." Melina said. She turned to me and extended her hand. In her palm was a thick piece of paper, coated with kaolin, the stuff that makes paper slick. Attached to the paper was an American Parachutist Badge.

It is tradition that when one graduates U.S. Army Airborne School, one gives the jump wings pinned to one's chest at the ceremony to one's spouse, if married; or to one's mother, if not married. I was married to Melina when I graduated Airborne School, so I gave them to her. She had put the badge in her jewelry box, and apparently it had stayed there all this time.

"I thought you might want these to frame with those other wings you just got." Melina said quietly to me. "And no, I didn't mention this to your mother."

"Thank goodness." I said. "And thanks for these back. Yes, they'll make a great display."

I told Laura and the moms that I was going to run a quick errand. I went to the frame shop in Town, the place where I'd had them frame Pete Feeley and Tanya Perlman's badges, which were on the wall in my office. I asked the proprietor of the shop for a 24-hour rush job, and to use a frame with the same dimensions as the previous work he'd done, with the same navy blue background. The American wings would be above the Israeli wings, and it was going to look very cool...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"What the hell are you doing here?" exclaimed the Town & County Chief of Police when I came into his office at 3:00pm. "You are supposed to be on vacation, Mr. Crowbar!"

"Yes sir." I said. "Just checking in to make sure Commander Ross didn't burn the Station down."

"Noooooo," said Cindy as she came in, having seen me come down the hall, "Jack Muscone made me promise to wait until your Salem witch trial for that."

As I hugged Cindy, the Chief said "You two are just too much. Have a seat, guys." We did so, and the Chief said "Not too much went on. Captain Perlman invited Chief Griswold to come in and teach some crime scene analysis. We were all impressed with how quickly Julia Rodriguez picked up on things. De-tec-tive Warner discussed stealing your dog Bowser while you were out of Town, and was told that Carole would light her up if she tried." I laughed heartily at that one, partly because I was so tired, 'on fumes'.

"Sooooo," said Moynahan, "everything's in control, and the week is nearly ovahhhh. Why don't you both head on out." Cindy and I quickly complied with those instructions.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Saturday, September 8th. The Bulldogs were playing at Eastern State, so traffic was light. I went and picked up the framed sets of wings, and they looked great. I paid the framer some extra for the excellence of his work. Then I went to the Station, to my office, and hung them on the wall just beneath the framed Feeley and Perlman badges.

Back at The Cabin, I played with the Jim, Ross, and Ian. Carole, Marie, and Tasha were drawing. I noticed that Carole was humming a tune, and I asked what it was.

"It's Beethoven, Daddy." Carole said. "We listened to it in music class at school."

"You like music class, don't you?" I asked.

"Yes, Daddy." said Carole. Marie said she liked music class, too, but liked drawing better. And no wonder... Marie was already an amazing artist...

And Sunday? I don't remember too much about it. The traveling and jetlag finally hit, and I spent most of the day sleeping. Bowser helped by sleeping on the sofa with me...

Part 11 - Anger and Retribution

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Fox Two News!" shouted the redheaded reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, September 10th, from in front of the Courthouse complex. "In a huge victory for the Media over the abusive tactics of Police Commander Donald Troy, our reporter Amber Harris has reached a plea deal with District Attorney Gil Krasney..."

To be continued.