We're a Wonderful Wife Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You know why he was up," said Kim-ly from the corner where she sat studying her cup of coffee. She was up all night also, too excited to sleep. Lanh is coming home today, New Year's Eve, a full week from the day she was hit. "You going to make it to midnight lil' bro?"

"Who cares?" said Don. "Just as long as I'm with Lanh... we haven't slept apart this much since I was in rehab."

"It's her turn for the rehab now," said Huy, "has she decided where she wants to go?"

"St. Stanislaus in Greeley until we can move Karole to Grand Forks," said Don.

"Enough talk," said Kim-ly, "Go get Lanh so we can have some of these noodles for dinner." She had bitten a hole in a puffed noodle and was wearing it like a false clown nose to the amusement of Krissy and Danh.

Ahnjong cleared her throat and said, "first we have a quick appointment scheduled to discuss Gaarder Fiske, esq Attorney at Law."

"Who is Gaarder Fiske, esq Attorney at Law?" asked Don.

"Gaarder Fiske, esq Attorney at Law is a partner in the law firm of Fisk, Damon, Ramirez, & Fisk," said Ahnjong.

"And Fisk, Damon, Ramirez, & Fisk is the law firm that represents our friends at Torgeson and Briggs Financial Consulting," said Huy.

"And young Gaarder Fiske, esq Attorney at Law passed himself off as Karole's personal injury attorney to the medical staff at Mercy General Hospital," said Ahnie.

"That's very cute," said Kim-ly. "Do you guys complete each other's sentences in court too?"

An hour later Don found himself in a conference room in the law offices of Fisk, Damon, Ramirez, & Fisk. This was a conference room that put movie lawyer offices to shame. The beautiful teak woodwork on the walls, bookshelves and furnishings of this room would look more at home on the deck of a multi-million-dollar yacht than lining the walls of a conference room owned by a bunch of shysters. The hand rubbed lacquer finish on the conference table looked like inch thick glass, and the comfort of the office chairs around the table put Don's recliner at home to shame.

Huy and Ahnjong sat at the conference table, Don sat in a chair behind them against the wall. As the scheduled meeting time came and went, Huy and Ahnjong turned around to Don to let him know how the game was played. "Do not let this freak you out," said Huy, "they're going to try to antagonize you into saying something stupid that they can use in court. Don't give them the satisfaction."

"Typically, they'll keep us waiting fifteen minutes or more," said Ahnjong. She patted Don's knee, "Just stay cool and let us do the talking. We'll let them babble for a while, then we'll drop the bomb on them and walk out, ok?"

Don nodded agreement but he hated every minute in that office that reeked of Scotts Liquid Gold, even though that was his favorite wood polish too. The meeting was scheduled for 10:00 AM, but they were kept waiting in the conference room until 10:30 when six impeccably dressed lawyers came in, four men ranging from early 30's to late 70's and two women, both slim and angry looking. Don figured he would be angry too if all he ever ate was kale and bitter white wine.

The elder gentleman who Don guessed was Gaarder Fiske senior started the meeting with "I'm sorry we were late; we had an important case we had to clear up. How may we help you?" Ahnjong put a tissue to her nose and sniffed, a prearranged signal to Don telling him that they knew what Fiske said was a lie.

How can we help you? That surprised Don, they were asking six million dollars in damages plus legal and medical expenses for both Mai, Lanh and Karole. You can help us by writing some checks, Huy and Ahnjong's bosses and the courts would decide who would get how much money. "We're prepared to offer you eight hundred and fifty thousand dollars," said the younger of the two women.

"Each?" asked Ahnjong after a sniff into her tissue. "Because their medical bills have already exceeded that." Don wasn't too worried about Lanh because of her university healthcare and their military healthcare, but poor Karole has practically nothing, just enough to make it legal and cover Krissy. Don tuned them out, he had his iPad and was downloading a movie using the complimentary Wi-Fi when he suddenly heard one of the lawyers accuse Lanh of enticing Bradly Davis "like a Saigon bar girl while her madam sat right there cheering her on." It was Gaarder Fiske Esq. the younger of the two slime wallowers.

Don saw Ahnjong's hand grasp Huy's hand under the table and they gripped each other tightly, clearly a signal to each other to calm down. Don tried to imagine what Lanh's signal to calm down would be, but he would like to think that she would say, "Beat the fuck out of him, please."

Finally, Ahnjong said, "Mister Gaarder Fiske, esquire, on December twenty fourth you informed the head nurse at the Mercy General ICU that you were the legal representative for Miss Karole Krigbaum and that the hospital was obligated to keep you informed of her progress..."

"No, I'm sorry Ms. Park, someone must be mistaken..."

Ahnjong stepped back from the plate, rubbed some dirt on her hands, pointed to the center field stands, then stepped back to the plate. The crowd went silent as she picked up her bat, set her stance, gripped the bat tight, and swung...

"Mister Fisk, all conversations in the ICU are recorded because of frivolous lawsuits, and all interactions with the nursing desk are videotaped for the same reason. A copy of the video, and transcripts of the conversation signed by the nurses involved and your business card which you handed to them are ready to be sent to the state bar along with an affidavit stating that Donovon Campbell has power of attorney over her affairs and that he has retained Huy Nguyen and the law firm of Haas, Vandermeer, and Nguyen as her legal counsel. This information is also ready to be forwarded to your client."

The crack of her bat striking the ball echoed through the stadium and the crowd went wild as the ball cleared the center field stands and soared into the parking lot. Ahnjong is not above blackmail, not when family is involved.

The room went deathly silent, Don would later say that all that could be heard was the sound of dripping sweat from the Fisk, Damon, Ramirez, & Fisk side of the table. Huy finally broke the silence by saying, "Please inform your clients that we will be asking for a settlement of eight point five million dollars, and all medical and legal costs to include relocation costs."

Ahnjong turned around to Don and asked, "Doctor Campbell, is there anything you would like to add?"

Don got up and stepped behind Ahnjong's chair and glared at the lawyer who called his wife a whore. He used the glare he honed to perfection on truculent airmen who scoffed at safety regulations, and the younger Fisk fucked up and let his eyes meet Don's. Don held him in his glare for a very long time, which turned out to be the perfect length of time because Don saw fear and uncertainty enter into Fisk's eyes. "Twelve million," he said firmly then turned and without a further word he left.

Huy snapped his briefcase closed as he and Ahnjong stood. "I stand corrected, my client requires twelve million plus medical and relocation expenses. We'll be in touch." And they left the room bathed in stunned silence. Nothing is as weak and silent as a lawyer that realizes that they just underestimated Huy and Ahnjong Nguyen.

֎ ֎ ֎ ֎ ֎ ֎ ֎ ֎ ֎

"That's it?" asked Lanh, "you just left?"

"Yeah," said Don as they relaxed in her room while waiting for the discharge papers to arrive. "He's going to be looking over his shoulder for me for months." They were looking over some plans that they had in mind for Sandy and Ralph, Mai, and Duong. "An extra three and a half million would help these plans along."

"Oh yes they would," smiled Huy as he pointed out a few items to Lanh. Both couples wanted to completely retire, get away from the farm and the restaurant, and from the big houses they no longer needed and the grandchildren that they loved but no longer had the energy to invest on a full-time basis, yet stay close to their families and each other as the two couple have grown to be great friends over the years since their children met. Don and Huy had a plan to satisfy their wishes whether they won this case or not.

Eventually the discharge nurse came in and went over a long series of instructions for Lanh's caregivers. Over the past week Don has had classes that were as intense as the newborn classes he went to when Danh was born, this time on caring for Lanh's injuries and just as importantly safely transferring her in and out of vehicles, chairs, and beds. He's also planning on caring for Karole, they're going to wake and extubate her on January 9.

"I am so ready to go!" said Lanh as Don finished transferring her to the wheelchair. "Where's the babies? I want to give them a ride."

"They're with mamma Kim-ly waiting for us. I have her slicing the beef and veggies for dinner tonight. I'm making Phở Chiên Phồng and Rosa says that if you like it, she will put it on the menu when we get back.

"I can't wait," and with a series of goodbyes to her nurses and Dr. Snider she was wheeled to the ICU where she got her first glimpse of Karole. She sat in shocked silence as she saw her dear friend broken and bandaged, the only signs of life were shown on a computer monitor.

"Her heartbeat is up some more," whispered Don, "so is her blood oxygen levels and look! Her blood pressure is nearly perfect! She was so low; it was so scary." But Lanh didn't hear, she was weeping.

"My friend!" Lanh gasped. How could such a thing happen? Twelve million wasn't enough, those bastards owe this woman everything! "Closer," she whispered to Don and when He pushed her right up to Karole's bed, she softly said, "Please give us a little space."

"I understand," and Don backed away.

"Why? Why did you do this? I'm not worth this pain," wept Lanh as she gently held Karole's arm. "Please don't leave me. When we're better we can raise our cows and work together in the restaurant and hide from this world..."

Don let Lanh remain close to Karole for a long time, and when he realized that Lanh was weeping so hard, she was making herself sick he whispered in Lanh's ear, "we should go baby, Karole needs her rest."

"Ok," said Lanh weakly and Don wheeled her out to the main entrance where Huy waited in Lanh's SUV. He hopped out to help Don and Ahnjong get Lanh into the SUV, but Lanh wanted to do as much as she could herself. She got herself standing on her good leg and her back to the rear seat, she couldn't remember what the next step was. Don stepped up and swept her up in his arms and gently seated his tiny wife in the back seat and buckled her in.

She fumbled for a proper thank you, but Don took her chilly cheeks in his fingers, turned her face to him and kissed her gently. As their lips parted, their eyes met and he said, "That's all you have to say, and anything you want is yours."

She wrapped her right arm around him and pulled him close. "I missed us so much," she wept as they held each other close.

Realizing that they were blocking traffic Huy made a show of putting her clothes and other items in the back of the SUV as Don got in his seat next to Lanh. They pulled away, swung through a Dunkin Donuts, got Lanh a hot chocolate and headed for their house in Greeley.

Dinner was a success, the Phở Chiên Phồng was perfect, and for the first time in what felt like ages, Lanh was able to eat her fill. That evening she sat and watched how the Grinch Stole Christmas with Danh and Krissy on her lap and both were asleep before the Grinch cleaned out Whoville.

Don and Kim-ly lifted Krissy and Danh from Lanh's lap and carried them off to bed, they were both in a crib in Kim-ly's room. Returning to the living room Don noticed that Lanh could barely keep her eyes open. "Are you ready for bed too?" Don asked.

"Yeah, I'm not going to make it to midnight tonight darling," said Lanh.

"It's ok, we're together," said Don. "Do we want to try the shower chair?"

"Ok," then as Don wheeled her out of the living room Lanh called out, "Good night, Happy New Years, and Thank you."

"Don't you worry em," said Huy as he leaned over to kiss her forehead, "Thank you for letting us help." Lanh waved goodnight to Ahnjong who was talking to the twins on the phone and Kim-ly was reading to Danh and Krissy.

Don carefully undressed Lanh and with a few bumps that caused pain he soon had her undressed and in the shower chair. Don worried and fussed about her like a nervous mother hen until Lanh said "Stop, stop, stop. I'm not..." she paused to search for the word.

"Fragile?" asked Don. "Yes, you are. I almost lost you; I can't let that happen again." He looked her in the eye and said, "Please, let me worry over you, let me do everything I can to care for you."

"You already do," she said. "I don't want you making yourself sick taking care of me."

"No, let me. Let me care, you did it for me." Lanh realized how much this meant to him that he could actually do something, and her heart soared. She was free from the hospital and sleeping alone, the pain wasn't gone but the loneliness was. They kissed under the spray of the shower with a tender love that she missed so much in the hospital.

"Ok, but you need to know, you can soap my boobs all you want, it's not getting you anywhere for a while."

Don chuckled, his hands on her delightful little breasts, "I'm keeping in practice." He did get some props for the towels he patted her dry with. "God, I missed your softener skills, the towels at the hospital were sandpaper!" sighed Lanh as Don gently dried her then, peeled the plastic bags off of her injury sites.

Not long later Kim-ly peeked in to say good night to Lanh but she and Don were curled together in bed, but she saw Don looking up at her, he put his finger to his lips so Kim-ly just waggled her fingers at him and went back to the room she was using across the hall. Huy and Ahnjong had gone downstairs to their apartment. She opened up her iPad and started to read. At about 10:30 Mountain time she called a friend in the eastern time zone who was 30 minutes into the new year. "Happy New Year! Do we have flying cars in your time yet?"

They chatted for a while, Kim-ly updated her on the hell her brother-in-law and sister had to survive for the past four years, now capped with Lanh's personal nightmare. "Yeah, seriously, the guy that grabbed her in the bar ran her over in the parking lot... What?... I have no idea if he was aiming at her, but Huy won't let a jury forget what happened..." suddenly a screaming came from Don and Lanh's room, it was Lanh shrieking in terror. "I gotta go, call ya back." She hung up and tossed her phone on the bed and dashed across the hall.

In Lanh's room she fumbled with the light switch, there was a slider to adjust brightness but also a rocking on/off switch under the slider. She finally got some lights on, and Lanh was shrieking, her unseeing eyes were rolling, her legs kicking and causing herself pain, she was shouting "Get it off!" while Don tried to hold her hands back. He was softly saying, "It's me, you're ok, you're safe!" he was clearly terrified for her.

Kim-ly immediately jumped in to hold back Lanh's injured right leg and her uninjured left leg so she wouldn't kick the injury. "It's ok, you're safe, Karole is safe."

"Honey please, calm down," Don was in tears, he was truly heading into shock himself.

Just then Huy joined them. "Not this again," he said with a sigh, and he leaned forward and started stroking Lanh's hair. "It's ok baby, it's all over," he whispered in her ear. "We love you, you're ok." And shortly, like a runaway locomotive running out of fuel, Lanh started to calm down, she soon stopped fighting and kicking, and she curled up and shuddered. Don looked at Huy questioningly. Huy shrugged, "stroking her hair, it's the only thing we found that worked."

"What do you mean?" asked Kim-ly softly.

"When she was little she used to have nightmares; Tam was the only one that could calm her down until she showed me how." He straightened up and said, "You guys good?"

"Thanks, Huy," said Don as he got up and gave Huy a hug. "You're always there for me."

"Go back to bed before this gets weird," kidded Huy and he headed back to the basement while Don went to the bathroom and splashed water on his face and held back the scream of terror that almost worked its way out. When he returned to bed Lanh was completely comatose. He rearranged the blankets and pillows again, building a stack of pillows to elevate her injured leg. As he did that, Kim-ly grabbed her pillow and leaving the door open so she could hear the babies she climbed in bed with Don and Lanh, and soon, laying on opposite sides of Lanh, Don and Kim-ly kept an eye on the little woman they love so much, both worried sick over her.

At some point in the night Kim-ly's cell phone quietly chimed and she lifted up on one elbow. Her first New Year's Eve with people her own age in the area in years and they're all asleep. At least they're all asleep in the same bed, I could make a story up about this. "You ok?" whispered Don.

"Happy New Year," whispered Kim-ly sadly.

Don lifted up and leaned over and gave Kim-ly a little kiss and as they lay back down, Lanh groaned, "You guys' kiss like third graders."

"What?" chuckled Kim-ly.

"It's New Years! You guys should be partying!" She snaked her good hand under Kim-ly and tickled her sister's ribs.

"Ok, ok" groaned Kim-ly and she leaned over Lanh and kissed Don again.

"Better?" Don asked, but Lanh didn't verbally respond because her tongue was in his mouth.

֎ ֎ ֎ ֎ ֎ ֎ ֎ ֎ ֎

Ten-year-old Karole Krigbaum poled her old flat bottom boat through the narrow creeks and ways of the Okefenokee swamp, following canals so shallow and narrow that the alligators ignored them. The swamp isn't all wetland, there's plenty of dry land that folks farm on, but you need to know your way through the wetland to get to the dry areas.

Young Karole knew she was getting close to Grandma Noah's cabin because the alligators stopped sliding into the black water and turtles stopped leaping off the branches that hung out over the water. Like the birds, the turtles and the gators just watched her with mild disinterest as she drifted past. They knew that they were protected by Grandma Noah and no harm would befall them from this young girl. The catfish knew they were fair game and stayed near the bottom as she passed right over their heads.

The young girl rounded a corner of the canal and there ahead, in a cypress grove, was her cabin. It was ancient, but being made of cypress wood it would last forever. A covered porch faced the water, and she could nearly row right up to the porch. "Grandma! Grandma Noah!" called young Karole, but instead of a wizen old woman, an ancient man stepped out of the cabin. He was very, very tall, slim, and completely bald.

"Who is come callin'?" he asked as he slowly lowered himself into Grandma Noah's rocking chair on the porch.

"Who are you?" demanded Karole as she poled up to Grandma Noah's dock.

"I'm the one that owns this cabin and more importantly, I'm the one that you caught those catfish for," he replied as he pointed at her boat.

"Ah caught them all fer Grandma Noah, not you," insisted young Karole as she climbed onto the dock and lifted an old enamel pail out of the bottom of the boat. The catfish in the pail woke up and began slithering around causing the pail to wiggle. "Hush you," she scolded the fish.

"Why don't you bring them here little kittenfish, and I'll make us a nice catfish dinner."