Were in the City Ch. 17

Story Info
Jacob's POV - The beach,secrets revealed; Can secrets be kept?
6.3k words
4.83
7.5k
13

Part 17 of the 27 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 01/22/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jacob's POV

Starting 5 miles from Rubble Beach

Jacob looked at Jessie, "Stay put here for at least 50 minutes, then take your time driving the last few miles. Arrive as close to 3pm as you can. Sit in the car and let them move first. If they try to block the car, leave. If you see wolves, leave. If you see more than 3 people, leave. If any of them is carrying a weapon, leave. Don't forget to call me and leave the call going before you get out of the car. Ok?"

Jacob watched Jessie carefully as she nodded. She seemed steady enough so far but he was worried. She wasn't ready for this, it was too soon. She had very little training or experience -- there were so many different ways this whole thing could go wrong. She wasn't oblivious to the dangers, he'd walked her through them all carefully in the last 24 hours (probably overdid it if he was honest with himself). She just seemed too trusting somehow, like the world and all the people in it were better than he knew they were. There were times when her curiosity and enthusiasm was refreshing, and times when it terrified him.

All three of them got out of the car. Hidden from the road, Jacob and Liam stripped and shifted. Jessie pushed straps hooked to small pouches containing their cell phones over each of their heads and they trotted off through the trees towards the beach.

Come on old man, first one to their lookout point wins!

If a wolf could roll his eyes while running, Jacob would be doing that. Liam's competitive nature never took a break -- thankfully he could switch gears and get serious in an instant when needed.

It was going to take about 30 minutes to reach the park and then they'd each have to very carefully move forward to one of the spots they had identified where they could watch what happened. There were various alternatives, since they would be competing with Jenkins Pack wolves for the best locations. The trick was to find an unoccupied spot and hold it without an overt confrontation with wolves from the other side ... and not get caught outside the boundaries of the neutral zone (ok, it was getting old, but Jacob still chuckled every time he called it that since he was a secret superfan of all things Star Trek).

About 2 miles from the beach the brothers split up. Liam was going to swing wide and come in from the north while Jacob approached from the south.

As Jacob carefully crept towards the park boundary he spotted a sentinel right where he'd thought a wolf would be placed -- highest ground, best view of the southern area. Good planning but not foolproof. Jacob pulled himself up the side of rocky ravine in human form where a wolf could not have managed, then shifted back to continue on, now inside the park behind the watcher.

He got to the parking lot and saw no vehicles there, and no boats at the dock. Good. He didn't have to call Jessie off yet. Jacob wanted to be in the section of trees on the other side of the entrance road but he didn't want to be detected too soon, so running across the road was not a good choice. He backed up and entered a drainage area, walking up to a culvert that went under the road. This was not a comfortable thing to do, very claustrophobic for a wolf, but Jacob crawled through the pipe until he got to the other side ... where he found himself stuck behind a bunch of debris that he couldn't get past to get out. Crap!

Liam, how are you doing?

Good, I'm inside the northern boundary. There was a wolf watching where we thought one would be, got by him no problem. I'm going for the lookout spot at the north end of the parking lot. Should be there in a couple of minutes.

Great, nobody obvious here yet ... unfortunately, I'm stuck in the damn pipe! Too much debris to get out. So much for clever ideas. I can't believe you talked me into trying this.

That's what Plan B's are for, brother!

Easy for you to say. You are not the one who has to crawl backwards out of here -- and by the way, it stinks in here too.

Jacob was just about to start pushing himself backwards when he heard the sound of claws clicking on the roadbed above him -- a wolf was running across the road going north. Through a narrow gap in the debris he saw the sentinel from the south moving into the trees.

Liam, the Jenkins Pack wolves are pulling in tight, they must be setting up for the arrival of their Alpha.

Yup, the northern watcher is moving. He's going for my intended spot so I'm maneuvering around behind him to those rocks we saw.

Good, I'm half way out of here now.

As Jacob popped ass-first out of the pipe he froze, hearing a vehicle moving slowly down the road above him towards the parking lot. It was Jessie -- he knew the sound of her car.

Jessie's here. I'm moving closer to the highway and will run across the road once the Jenkins group arrives.

Right. I'm in the rocks. It's further away than we wanted and the view isn't perfect but it will do. Be careful, there have to be more than two wolves from the other side around here.

Jacob moved cautiously through the trees along the road and sat waiting. When a truck with three people in it pulled off the highway and past his location he waited to make sure no one was following, then sprinted across the road and began working his way back to the parking lot.

When he felt the cell phone vibrate in the pouch around his neck he quickly shifted and answered the call. Stuffing a wireless earbud in one ear, he heard Jessie say "I'm leaving the car."

This was a time when having a pack bond between the three of them, and be able to communicate mind to mind in wolf or human form, would have been very useful ... but in the modern world there were other options. Jacob pulled out a lump of playdough from his pouch, shaped it into a cone and placed it on a log with another earbud on top. Shifting back into his wolf form, he carefully turned his head sideways and jammed the earbud into his wolf ear. He and Liam had worked this out some time ago -- it had come in handy a few times before.

Liam, how's Jessie doing?

They've set up the woman she's here to meet at a picnic table. Jessie's over there now.

You still got eyes on one Jenkin's wolf?

Yes. He's staying put at the north end of the parking lot. You got the other one yet?

No. But I've picked up his scent trail, and the scent of a third wolf. They met and then separated. So we've got at least three.

Jacob crept forward until he was at a spot where he could see everything but wasn't as close as he wanted to be. When he heard Beth say "I'll turn off mine if you turn off yours. What I have to tell you should be for your ears only" he saw Jessie pull out her phone and heard her call disconnect.

Damn it! What part of "under no circumstances cut off the phone call" did she not understand?!

I'm sure she heard you brother, you said it at least 100 times.

Jacob watched the two woman talk as he constantly scanned the area, all his senses on high alert. He could see the two men standing in the middle of the parking lot were doing the same. When he saw Beth turn and signal for the two men to approach the table, he took a deep breath, ready to run towards them if needed.

It was a good thing Jacob was ready to go, for at that very moment Liam's alert came through with head-splitting intensity ...

Wolves! Three more! Further into the trees coming towards you. I don't think they belong here -- they are hunting! Shit! A watcher has spotted them!

Jacob heard the fight begin as he took off through the trees towards Jessie. He was so focused on getting to her that it took him precious seconds to realize another wolf, another Jenkins Pack watcher, was coming at him from the side. He rolled several times after he was hit but got to his feet quickly, ready to fight, but his opponent pulled up short, growling fiercely but not advancing.

Liam, where are you? I'm stuck, facing a Jenkins Pack warrior. Can you get to Jessie?

No, I'm stuck too. The one I've been watching is between me and her. We are just growling at each other right now. Doesn't seem like he wants to kill me just yet.

They all heard the victory howl and Jacob saw his opponent shiver and growl in pain. Not good news. He had to get to Jessie, it was all that mattered. There had been times in his life when Jacob hadn't cared who was in his way when he'd needed something important done -- he'd sacrificed the righteous as well as the guilty -- but he couldn't do things that way anymore. He had enough regrets, he didn't want to add to the list, but more importantly, he didn't want to face the disappointment in Jessie's eyes if he made the wrong choice. Killing the Jenkins Pack wolf who was blocking his path was not an option.

Ok ... fuck safety ... fuck hiding ... fuck planning ... Jacob shifted and remained in a crouched position, looking into the eyes of the wolf in front of him, and said "We want the same thing. To protect our pack members, our family. Those other wolves are the enemy here, not us. We will help. We must go now."

The other wolf hesitated for a few seconds. Jacob felt every one of those seconds like they were years. Finally the wolf nodded and Jacob shifted back, racing towards the parking lot with the other wolf at his heels.

Liam, are you on your way to Jessie now?

Yes brother, what did you do?

Made a deal. We are on the same side with the Jenkins wolves for the moment, so try not to mess it up.

As Jacob came out of the trees he saw Jessie being dragged by a back leg across the pavement by a very large wolf. His other half went berserk and it took everything he had not to lose it right then. Running straight for them he watched her flip over, exposing her stomach (no, no, no!) ... and then curl up and tear him apart (yes, yes, yes!). Her leg was messed up, he could see she was having trouble moving, so he got between her and the last intruder standing.

There was a small wolf dug into the top of the big one, giving it everything she had. She had courage for sure, but not enough size or strength to bring him down. It looked like the Jenkins wolves were being careful not to endanger her any more than necessary as they took turns taking chunks out of their enemy. Jacob and Liam joined in, until he finally collapsed and gave up.

Jacob went immediately to Jessie, who had shifted and was sitting down putting pressure on the bad wound on her upper leg. He pushed his body into hers, looking at her leg. It was going to take some careful stitching to put that all back together. Liam joined him, pressing into Jessie's other side.

Jacob heard Jessie whisper, "It took you long enough to get here -- what the hell happened?" He didn't need the critique at the moment, thank you very much. He huffed and growled unhappily. "Ok, I'll ask all about it later. Don't shift. I'll be ok. We don't want you seen." Yah ... nice thought, but that train (or should I say coywolf) has already left the station. Jacob really, really hoped Jessie was right about Alpha Jenkins and they would be able to put a bunch of genies (or should I say gryphon and wanted rogues) back in their bottles. OMG -- how many idioms per minute was he going to use? -- the shock of seeing Jessie being dragged around must be affecting his mind!

He looked up and saw the attacker had shifted. Jacob recognized one of the Algonquin wolves from the gas station. Damn it all to hell! Liam's response was much more colourful and lengthy.

Jacob, how did they get here? We've got a leak somewhere -- this is NOT good!

When Gordon said "You are the driver. You were identified. You had to pay for your part in what happened to Tony and Stephen" Jacob growled and Liam joined him.

Let me at him!

Down brother. Jessie is working on him. She's doing well. We need to know what he knows.

Jessie asked for a bandage for her leg and the medic came over to wrap up her wound. Jacob would have preferred it if Liam had done that but he managed to allow another male close to her, gritting his teeth, realizing that made him look like he wanted to chew on someone. Jessie said "These are my friends, they won't bite you if you don't hurt me." Right! ... no hurting, no touching, no looking ... get away from what's mine damn it! Jacob got a little bit calmer when the medic stepped back and Jessie wrapped herself in the blanket the medic gave her.

Jacob and Liam listened as Jessie interrogated Gordon. Jenkins was smart to send one of his pack to retrieve the intruders' car -- there might be something in it that would provide more information. Both Jenkins and Jessie understood someone trusted had betrayed this meeting -- good.

What Jessie did next with Gordon worried Jacob. She did her "thing" again, compelling him to go home and discover who had provided the detailed information about this meeting to the Algonquin wolves. And she committed someone to helping Gordon and his mate escape the Algonquin pack after he did what she wanted -- did she understand that wouldn't be simple or easy to do? Jessie was going to owe Helen big time if that promise ended up in Helen's hands. Jacob could see Jenkins was very worried about that part too.

Jenkins was eager to wrap everything up and go home. Jacob was too. Jessie's leg needed looking after as soon as possible, and Jacob wanted to hear all about what Beth had told her. Beth asked for a couple more minutes with Jessie and Jenkins nodded, and then surprised the brothers by gesturing to them both to follow him. What did he want with them?

Close to Jessie's car, Alpha Jenkins stopped and faced the twins.

"You are coywolves, strong ones, and almost identical. Rogues. Experienced, stealthy. You know Helen. I have a partial description from one of my warriors of one of you in human form ... I know who you are."

Jacob and Liam both stiffened and huffed loudly.

"Relax! Unlike others, I do honour this place as neutral ground so I and mine will do nothing here. It also helps greatly that you didn't harm any of mine and stood with us to protect Beth -- given your reputation that surprises me."

Jenkins sighed. "But now I'm in a very difficult spot. I must report your presence here. I should hunt you down once you leave this area -- if I don't, I expect I'll be ordered to do that once others know where you are. I won't be the only one that gets that order, as I'm sure you are aware. You are ready and able to run I hope?"

Jacob nodded, thinking to Liam ... and that's it for west coast living ... off we go again.

Jenkins shook his head, looking frustrated. "I expect Robin goes with you, yes? That will be disappointing for Beth, she wants to meet with her again. I've never seen Beth do what she did today, putting her life on the line for a stranger. I don't know what is going on there."

Jenkin's looked over the twins' heads to where Beth and Jessie were sitting. "Now what?! Why is Beth crying? And she still refuses to respond to anything I send over our pack bond. Save me from stubborn wolves!"

Jacob watched Jenkins walk quickly back towards Beth, shrugged at Liam and they followed. They found Beth and Jessie holding hands, tears flowing down Beth's face. Dean was hovering, looking concerned. Jenkins had felt the odd, strong energy from Jessie when they had touched the last time they'd met and he was worried that it was the same for Beth ... and maybe not in a good way?

"Let her go! She's hurt. Don't mess with her."

Beth looked up. "It's ok Bill ... I'm ok ... just overwhelmed and tired, that's all." Beth smiled through her tears, "She's family, she won't harm me."

"Family?"

"Yes, we've figured out how we are related. Her grandmother is part Parker so this young woman is family. We want to get together again soon and talk more, don't we my dear?"

Jessie nodded enthusiastically, "Yes, very much. But you need to rest & heal first and so do I. Your Alpha has my phone number. You can call me when you are ready for a visitor and we can arrange another meeting."

Jacob was very curious about what Jessie had learned ... and he felt sorry that the two women were not going to be able to meet again. Perhaps there would be a way at some point in the future to arrange a phone call between them, but the probability of that happening was very low. Any kind of pack contact with a known associate of wanted rogues would be hugely problematic for Jenkins.

He looked at Jenkins who was rubbing his forehead, looking unhappy. Would he tell them now that a second meeting wasn't possible or wait until Beth was home and in better condition? Jenkins looked over at the twins and let out a long sigh, shaking his head.

"I'm very sorry Beth, I know I said earlier that it would be possible for Robin to visit with you again, but circumstances have changed. It's not going to be possible now."

"What? Why not?"

Jenkins pointed at Jacob and Liam. "Because of who they are. Robin is with them, and they are wanted by the Alpha Council. There's a "kill or capture" order outstanding for both of them. Given her knowledge of them, I would be forced to detain her and turn her over to the Council for questioning. They are all rogues, with few rights I'm afraid."

Beth and Dean looked shocked at the news, Jessie looked crushed. Jacob hoped what she'd learned from Beth was worth all the upheaval and uncertainty that was to come as they left everything she knew behind.

Beth asked, "Who are they?"

Jessie spoke up, "Alpha, would you order all your pack members here today not to tell anyone what they learn about me or my two friends? It would be in your best interest, as well as ours, if all this stays as quiet, as unknown, as possible. It would be better not to report their discovery here to anyone."

Jenkins looked at Jessie, his Alpha wolf pushing forward, challenging her. "You wouldn't be trying to make me do something against my will would you rogue? ... Don't try your tricks on me, don't you damn well dare!"

Jacob heard Liam thinking, Uh oh ... I hope Jessie can control her gryphon!

He watched Jessie's hair shift into white feathers, her arms shift with her talons fully extended, her eyes go golden and fiery. Even though her leg was in bad shape she was able to stand quite quickly as her Alpha gryphon pushed forward, and she hissed back at Jenkins, "I will dare whatever I must to protect my family! You don't control me!"

The two alphas stared at each other, fury barely controlled, neither one giving an inch. Everybody else just stood there, staying out of the way.

Beth was the one who spoke up to break it up. "Bill, she was only asking, not commanding ... weren't you dear? Family is important, she's only trying to protect them."

Dean was staring at Jessie. "You are not a wolf. What are you?"

Jessie broke eye contact first and the twins both gave a sigh of relief. It would have been a really big problem if the alphas had launched themselves at each other. Her shifted features faded slowly back to human form.

Jacob knew Jessie was smart and intuitive -- she had to know she needed Jenkins on her side and she'd have to be the one who backed down to keep him listening. She said the right thing, "I apologize if my words were inappropriate. I was asking a favour, that you keep what you learn about us to yourselves, please. I would like the chance to explain why not telling anyone about us is the better choice for you."

Jenkins was not happy. "I agreed to this meeting because it was going to be a simple discussion with Beth, it was not supposed to endanger my pack. Now one of my pack is dead and another is hurt, two Algonquin wolves are dead and another is a prisoner who is going to be a spy, there are two wanted rogues standing next to me, and some unusual bird-wolf Were wants me to go against the rules of the Alpha Council. I had enough trouble with the Tony Richard situation and now I've got all this!"

12