What Happens in Orbit Pt. 20

Story Info
Cora is forced to atone for Tai's mistakes.
7.3k words
4.85
834
2
0

Part 20 of the 21 part series

Updated 02/26/2024
Created 07/01/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Up until very recently, I had believed Tai to be my mate. He chose to leave our colony to work, which was bad enough, but he always came back. Alone."

"You've got to be fucking kidding me." Cora lost her polite demeanor, her gaze flicking over to Tai, who had begun to stir. You motherfucker. Seriously?

Startling her, Loyma laughed, a harsh and grating chuckle. "Oh, now you can see why we welcomed you like this! He didn't tell you anything."

Cora was at a loss. She hadn't even considered the possibility that any of them would have already had a mate. You barely know any of them, Cora. Why are you surprised? The only ones willing to be transparent with you were Mar and Tor, and you left them behind. Like an idiot. Bile rose in her throat. But. There has to be a reason. You have to give him a chance.

Were she not uncountable light years from home, surrounded by hostile strangers, Cora would not have felt so willing to forgive. She took a deep, steadying breath.

"What do I need to do?"

Loyma stretched, four hands reaching above her head. Muscles rippled and flared beneath her shirt. Shit. "This is the part I do not like. But it is necessary, for the safety of our colony. You and I will fight. When you lose, we will kill your other mate and children. We can't afford any more mouths to feed."

Oh, jeez.

"Do you need time to prepare?"

Cora looked over at Della. His deep green eyes were wide, uncertain. In his arms, Orra stirred. Oh, fuck.

I have to think like they taught me. Loyma was slightly top-heavy, her skin tough but thin in areas. Veins stood out, casting their own shadows. Her stance was wide. She would be a grappler, not capable of inflicting the same kind of damage Cora could. The tips of her tusks were dull, not razor-sharp like the fangs Cora was running her tongue over. I have to keep my advantage.

She tensed her shoulders, forcing a visible shiver. "No, there's nothing I can do. I'm sorry, Della."

Looking up at him again, Cora prepared herself for the fear in his eyes.

To her shock, it was fake.

He... he's not worried in the slightest.

She took an uneven stance, weakly squaring her shoulders at Loyma.

He trusts me?

"I'll make this quick, Cora. I'm sorry that it has to be like this. Don't worry, Tai will be punished."

Cora nodded, her bottom lip trembling.

When Loyma lunged for her, she slipped easily from her stance, dropping to the ground. Instead of letting the momentum sink into the wood, she swung it back up through her legs and core, catching her opponent squarely in the stomach with the heel of her hand.

Loyma dropped to the ground, retching, but quickly recovered. The others surrounding her moved back to form a wide circle, just watching.

Cora quickly skittered back, resisting the urge to bare her teeth. She let shock bleed into her expression.

"That was luck," Loyma coughed, not rising from a crouch.

She's gonna come at me again. I have to- Cora wasn't ready. Loyma punched her in the chest, knocking her to the ground. She seized the front of her shirt, picking her up from the ground just to ram her back down into it. Wheezing, Cora struggled to blink away the stars crowding her vision.

Her arm. She writhed loose, followed her instincts' instructions, and chomped down on the arm above her. Her teeth sunk in with ease, the fine tendons snapping beneath them. Even as bitter blood filled her mouth, Cora focused on what they would do to her kids. Her family. Choking down her disgust, she bore down harder as Loyma screamed. She reared upwards, tearing the flesh further before she finally let go.

Jumping backwards, Cora was able to take a breath. Blood poured from her mouth, blood that wasn't hers. It was foul.

I can do this. Don't let her catch her breath.

She was guarding her injured side, now, so Cora lunged to her right, aiming high. Her opponent was losing a good amount of blood. I can't assume she'll be affected. She has the same adrenaline that I do. Feinting back to the left, Cora dove down past her, striking at the back of her knee. It buckled slightly. Not enough.

Loyma was faster than Cora, again. She took a blow square to the face, a dizzying thud echoing through her head.

No, I got you, bitch. Cora let her upper back hit the ground, squaring her shoulders against it before seizing Loyma's forearm. With it held firmly against her chest, Cora kicked out, hard. As she stiffened her entire body, one foot managed to catch between Loyma's upper and lower arm, planting itself squarely against her ribcage. The nauseating sounds her arm made as muscle and sinew snapped and tore in several places was drowned out by an agonized wail. Scrabbling out from underneath her, Cora moved clear before turning back to face her opponent. Now, both of Loyma's right arms were out of commission. The upper hung limply at her side, while the lower one was curled against her, the forearm and wrist shredded beyond recognition. Blood poured from Cora's nose. She didn't care.

Regarding Loyma with trepidation, Cora didn't relax. "I'm not weak, I'm sorry."

Loyma didn't respond.

Shit. "This isn't one of those fight to the death kind of fights, is it?" Cora wheezed.

Dropping to her knees, Loyma shook her head before letting it loll back. "No, fuck no. You win."

The onlookers murmured, uncertain.

"Are you- are you gonna be okay? You're still bleeding a lot."

Loyma gave her a dry, long look. "Cora."

"Yes?"

"I don't know your home planet's customs, but that is not how you treat the loser."

Cora swiped carefully at the blood on her mouth, tilting her head back to stop blood from pouring down her face. Her nose throbbed unpleasantly. "We wouldn't even be opponents if Tai wasn't such a fucking liar."

"He never was my favorite." Loyma winced, one of her family inspecting her mutilated arm. "Definitely isn't now."

Cora turned back to Tai, who was still sitting on the ground. Della looked as if he were ready to kill him on the spot. She cleared her throat. "Della."

He looked up at her, gaze immediately softening. "Hm?"

"Let me."

She knelt in front of Tai, the swelling on her face making it difficult to look down at him. The side of his head was noticeably misshapen where he'd been kicked.

He looked absolutely miserable.

Taking a deep breath, Cora held his face in her hands. "Tai?"

He refused to look up from the ground.

"I know you can hear me. I don't care if you look at me. We're gonna talk about this later. And you're not going to refuse to again." She spoke coldly, remembering exactly who Loyma was to him. "Come on, get up." She turned, gesturing at Della to follow. They all walked together, two younger Roshak supporting Loyma. One of them turned to look back at them, giving Tai a disgusted look.

Cora recognized his soft pink eyes, the same ones that had refused to look up at her moments ago. She shook her head, sighing deeply. I feel like a homewrecker.

As they walked further down the path, their group grew smaller and smaller, until it was only her, Tai, Della, the kids, and the young Roshak man that had looked back at them. He regarded Cora with the same disgust he'd given his father, veiled thinly with respect. Or fear. Cora couldn't decide. She hated both options.

"If you'll get the baby and follow me, I'll take you to get her a name."

Uncertain, Cora paused. The way he'd spoken left no room for anyone to come with her.

She took Tai's daughter from Della and followed him away.

The homes were well hidden in the trees, out of view of the path. He led her towards a smaller one, a figure waiting in the doorway. It was a much older Roshak woman, deep lines beneath her eyes. She regarded Cora with no kindness.

"Come in."

Her home was well-lit, making it easy for Cora to notice the familiar mottling on her hands and ears. This is Tai's mom?

"You're Cora. My grandson has told me a lot about you."

Has he? Confused, Cora looked over to him. He was about her height, but his features were similar to Bee's. He couldn't have been older than the Roshak equivalent of a sixteen-year-old.

She sat at an ornate wood-and-stone table, gesturing at Cora to sit.

"It's my understanding that Tai was dishonest with you."

Bitterly, Cora nodded. "Yes. I had no idea he already had a mate. And kids."

Pulling out a book, she nodded. "Yes. And if he told you the truth, what would you have done?"

Her stomach turned. "I- It depends on when. If he would have told me before him and I- before I carried, I wouldn't have done what I did." But I doubt heat would have given me a choice.

"Why?" His mother spoke flatly, quirking an eyebrow at her.

Cora frowned, unsure. She was right. Why would it have been an issue? She could have just not come here. Named their child whatever.

"Because..." This was quickly turning into a therapy session. "My dad did something just like that to my family. Expected us to like the woman he'd left our mom for." Cora leaned her head back and forth, trying not to get emotional. "It's a selfish reason. I don't want to be that woman."

"Hm." She didn't look up, unfolding the book in her hands. Her grandson was staring at the table, now, tracing a nail along the wood grain. "It's too late for that. I'm going to level with you, Cora."

"Okay."

"My son was never suited for life here. When he left, he only came back out of guilt. I refused to let him leave for the city when he was young. I suppose it could have saved him from his current situation if I had." The book was unfolded into a single, thick sheet, full of diagonal creases. "However, this colony survives because we follow the rules and stay loyal to each other." She dipped a pen-shaped object into a pot before pressing it to the paper. Cora realized that it was more like a paintbrush. "Ultimately, it's Loyma's decision," she continued. "But it's likely that Tai will not be welcome here again. If he wants to see his children, he will have to wait for them to reach out to him."

I'm sure he knows that already. "Can I ask a question?"

"Go ahead."

"How many kids does he have here?"

Carefully, his mother lifted the paper she was marking, turning it so that Cora could read it. "Can you read?"

Cora nodded. The paper was covered in circles, the black ink fading at it got closer to the top. Each circle had a name, with several names written around it. A calloused finger pointed to Loyma, and Cora quickly found Tai's name. A thin line traveled from Loyma's name, through his, and branched out to four names.

"Ah." She tried not to let this sting. After all, it only took her a short while to have three of her own. But that was from several of them. Cora, you can't make this hurt any less.

In a conversation that went in an unpleasant blur, they decided on Aramai, several syllables shorter than her grandmother's name. In this colony, the mother's name was taken, with a syllable added on. Cora didn't feel comfortable participating in the tradition of a family she wasn't a part of.

Upon hearing this, pain flashed across his mother's features. "Maybe it can serve as a fresh start for you and your family," Tai's mom offered. "You seem like a sensible girl. I won't say you have to forgive him, but please give him a chance. He was an excellent father when he wasn't lying to himself."

Cora frowned down at the table. "I'm not going to reject him just because he lied. He already won't be able to see his children here. I'd be a horrible person to take all he has left."

His mother fidgeted with the edges of the name record. "Please... I know." She seemed conflicted. "Hold him accountable. He's an adult and his choices nearly got you and your babies killed. Your oldest, she's only..."

"Eight rotations."

She stiffened, like an unpleasant memory had resurfaced. "So small. Almost left without a mother." Her expression twisted bitterly.

At some point, her grandson had left the room. However, Cora could hear him in the room over, pacing restlessly.

"Did you," Cora started, speaking as softly as she could. "Did you lose somebody?"

The muscles in her jaw flexed impressively. "That's not important. He doesn't deserve to have a family if he can't keep them safe."

Cora found herself reminded of her mother's mother. Someone who took her regrets to the grave.

"You proved yourself worthy. Capable. Make him do the same, Cora. Hold him to the same standards you hold yourself." Surprising her, she reached out, taking Cora's hand in hers.

Shouts echoed from the forest.

Tai's son bounded into the room, listening. Cora heard the familiar crack of Foshar rifles.

"Shit!" Both Della and Tai were still injured, far too much to fight.

"They'll have taken your children to safety."

Cora whipped back around to face her, giving her a hard look. "Your leader is injured and so are both of my mates. I'm not just worried about my kids."

She dove out the doorway, Tai's son close behind. "Hey, does your family have any weapons like theirs?"

"No. We don't keep them here. It'd make us a target."

"Shit, well, clearly you all were a target anyway. Della and Tai are going to be trying to fight and they're both-" An armed figure swung into her path, scent unfamiliar. Cora kicked off the branch underfoot, left hand wrapping around the barrel and yanking it upwards. A quick, sharp elbow thrust to the lower windpipe. He dropped from the branch he stood on, grasping at his chest. They were all so fragile.

Cora inspected the rifle in her hands. It was larger than she would have liked, but not too heavy. The metal was painted a matte green, the edges glowing fresh brass. Della would like this. Quickly, she twisted the canister open, making sure it was the same battery type she was taught to use. Level's good, brand-new battery. Refusing to waste time struggling with it, Cora forcefully knocked the canister back into place against the tree trunk.

Just as she thought, they were out on the path. Tai was down on the wooden surface, locked in a grapple with what looked like a Roshak officer. Another was charging at them.

Using a tree branch to stabilize the rifle, Cora took aim. Aim for where he's gonna be, like Della taught you. She picked a spot a single pace in front of his chest and fired.

Instead of punching back into her like the recoil on her grandad's Remington, these rifles emitted pulses that made her hands and arms go numb. Fighting through the pins and needles, Cora tossed the strap back over her shoulder and jumped down. She approached slowly, leveling her stolen rifle at the officer pinning Tai. The one she'd shot lay motionless to her left.

"Tai, where's Della?"

When they both looked up from the ground, she squeezed the trigger. Behind her, Tai's son swore quietly.

Taking her finger off the trigger, she swung the oversize rifle up, balancing it on her shoulder. A quick glance to her right told her that they had company.

Tai shoved the lifeless body off him, making a small sound of disgust at the messy head wound he'd sustained.

Cora, you killed them.

"That's not important right now," she muttered to herself.

Crack, thud. Crack, thud. Crack, thud.

Della was approaching to her left. The assailants to her right crumpled down against the path. He stood on both legs, his own rifle held aloft, his face twisted in a snarl of incredible pain.

He shouldn't be on that leg yet. "Was it just those five?"

Tai shook his head, clambering to his feet. "No, there were more. They're dead, now."

Cora took a deep breath, refusing to let guilt settle in her stomach. Focus. She let the rifle hang, allowing Della to lean against her. "Come on," she murmured. "The both of you need to rest."

Loyma was walking towards them, incandescent. Her injured arms were wrapped up in bandages, held firmly to her upper torso. "They were armed. They were armed!"

Cora grunted as Della lost his balance, unexpectedly forced to take on most of his weight. "Shit, oof- Sorry, Della. What did they want? I only heard the screaming and shooting."

In the dim evening light, Cora could see her trembling. "We've had a deal. We stay away from the cities. We don't exist. We don't keep any weapons. We don't even have Roshak network access. They haven't shown up here since my mother led this colony!"

"So," Cora struggled to help Della keep his balance. "They've gone back on their promise? They clearly didn't know we were here. They would have sent way more power."

Loyma was confused. "Why would that change anything?"

"Oh. Wait, you said you don't have Roshak network access. So, no news, no access to planet-wide alerts about fugitives." Loyma nodded, then paused.

"Fugitives?"

Oops. "You knew I was human, I thought you knew everything else?"

"No!" Loyma turned, gesturing to Cora. "Argh, ouch. I need to go rest. Come on."

As Cora helped Della limp along, she wondered. Della said that Tai had called his mom. How would that be possible, without access to the Roshak planetary network?

What do you wanna bet, she's got secret access. Cora chuckled. No sir, not opening that can of worms.

As it turned out, Loyma had sent Tai's eldest son to find him.

She turned a burning eye on him. "And when were you going to tell me, that your father was wanted for treason?"

He shifted, tapping the ground with his foot. "I thought the infidelity was a bit more important. Technically, we're committing treason by existing, mother."

She started to argue, then paused, weary. "That's- that's not important right now."

Cora sat on the couch next to Della, Tai sitting cross-legged at her feet.

Della spoke up, pain medication from Tai slowly kicking in. "You know, it's possible they were here to recruit for the war."

Something occurred to Cora. "Did we, uh, did we ask? What they wanted?"

Everyone in the room looked in a different direction.

She tried not to groan.

Tai shifted; the motion meaningful. Cora looked over at him. "Tai? Did you hear something?"

He nodded but didn't speak. "Go ahead," she encouraged, hoping she wasn't breaking some kind of rule.

"I asked. They were investigating a tip. This region is listed as uncharted."

Cora frowned. "That doesn't make sense. Loyma, you said your family had a deal with them?"

Loyma nodded, rubbing absentmindedly at the bandages on her arms. "Only with the nearby city government." She leaned forward, defeated. "We can't- we don't- damn. I'm not making my family fight."

Tai looked up at Cora for a moment, gaze quickly returning to the ground. He'd likely had the same thought she did. Her, Della, and Tai couldn't stay for long enough to ensure their safety.

"So," Tai's son spoke up, still nameless in Cora's mind. "So, our options are run or fight?"

Cora raised a hand, uncertain. "Tai."

He turned to her.

"You said, 'listed as uncharted.' Could that be changed?"

He blinked, surprised. "Well, maybe? The government has been dismantling colonies for years. We can't tell them that there's a colony here."

Cora looked up at the ceiling, thinking hard. "Would it be possible to convince them that this area is too dangerous to investigate? I know there's forest sections that are blacklisted because of Noxis."

Frustrated, Loyma sighed. "That's why we don't have anywhere to go, because of the Noxis. We lost our neighboring colony to them. I don't- wait, Cora. That's an idea."