The Night We Met Pt. 01

Story Info
Prologue.
1.6k words
4.27
3.1k
5
0

Part 1 of the 28 part series

Updated 06/15/2023
Created 10/29/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Note to readers. This is a reworked version of the earlier story, When Jerry Met Ali. I listened to your feedback and I made changes. I've added and deleted scenes and the story is now 100% 3rd Person. I hope you enjoy.

Prologue

Bathurst, Australia - 2023

It was almost that time of the week that Alison hated. It was a terrible rut she had fallen into; hating Friday afternoons. 5pm on a Friday was supposed to be the time of the week that everyone worked towards. The time when they could forget the drudgery of their working life and relax for a couple of days.

But now, every Friday evening, Alison had an unpleasant ritual to perform. After she left work, she would drive home or to her husband's house and go through the charade of civility as they exchanged custody of their children.

They didn't hate each other; far from it. But they were separated because they had fallen out of love. The children were the only reason they still spoke, and that was the reason Alison had come to loath Friday afternoons. She had to talk to Henry, for the children's sake, but every time she did, it was a reminder that she had failed and failure never sat well with Alison.

She had been so good at everything else in life. Her career, adventures, raising children all had been successful in her opinion. All except for this one thing. She didn't love her husband anymore, and he didn't love her. Her marriage failed.

So Fridays were now the anchor around which her life was now moored. For the sake of the children, she would go through the motions of polite conversation with Henry while they exchanged children for the week. He was supposed to be out of her life, but her Friday routine made her feel like she would never get to move on. Until she could move on from Henry, her life wasn't perfect. And if it wasn't perfect, then it was broken.

She prepared to lock up the office and head to Henry's house when her office manager, Sarah, pulled her aside. Sarah loved a chat, but she knew Alison had to get out the door on time every Friday afternoon.

"Have a great weekend," Sarah said. "Oh, I almost forgot. A letter came for you."

"Who from?" Alison asked. "Was it the insurance company? That bill is due soon."

"No, it wasn't a bill. It was a letter-letter!"

"A letter-letter? Who sends letters anymore?" Alison replied absently.

"I don't know. And who would send a letter to your workplace? Letters usually go to a home address."

That was right. People didn't send letters anymore, and they didn't send them to your office. Alison was suddenly intrigued. "Where is it?"

"Over here," Sarah said, reaching over the reception counter. Sarah held the letter up and examined it. "Maybe it's a love letter," she teased.

"Don't be stupid," Alison retorted. Alison hadn't had a love letter in over twenty years. She knew she had a pile of them in a box somewhere. Perhaps it was time she threw them out before her children found them.

Sarah flipped the envelope to its back and read. "Who is 'J. Holland'?"

"I don't know. A travel agent? Give it here!"

"J. Holland from Canberra?"

"A politician then." Alison said, snatching the letter from Sarah's hand.

"Well, enjoy reading your not love letter from J. Holland from Canberra."

"I..." Alison was about to say, "I doubt it" when she stopped. Flipping the letter over, she read the name three times before she looked back at a silent Sarah. Looked back at Sarah and smiled.

Chapter 1

Sydney, Australia - June 1997

Camilla just gotten back from the supermarket when she ran into Alison in their apartment. It was an unwritten rule of the flat that Friday nights were fend for yourselves affairs as far as dinner was concerned. Throughout the week, the six undergraduates in the Cowper St apartment in Randwick attempted to plan dinners and share food. However, Fridays were often chaotic with sudden party invitations and dates changing plans at the last minute.

Camilla would have asked Alison if she wanted to share her meal, but this night Alison clearly had other plans. Alison, a cute 20-year-old, was dressed in a camouflage uniform and black ankle length boots. Her shortish blonde hair and feminine facial features were the only giveaway that a girl lay beneath her military garb.

Alison smiled broadly at Camilla and chatted away like nothing especially interesting was happening to her that night. Camilla idly thought about how Alison could have been dressed up for a night out, but looked just as comfortable wearing her heavy black boots and camouflage uniform.

"What is on this weekend?" Camilla inquired. "It looks like you are moving out with all that stuff."

Camilla was observant. Next to the front door, Alison had set down her webbing, pack, and green echelon bag. It was literally every piece of army equipment Alison owned, all packed and seemly in neat order.

"Queensland!" Alison said excitedly. "I'm going to the jungle training centre in Canungra. It's going to be amazing!"

"Will you get to go to the beach?" Camilla asked, genuinely not understanding where Alison was going or what she would be doing.

"I doubt it. We are going to be in the bush the whole time. I don't even know if it's near a beach."

"I don't know how you keep up with your study with all these army trips you do." Camilla said.

"It's only June." Alison replied. "I still have a month before mid-year exams. So I'll have two weeks to study after I get back. I've never failed a subject in my life, and I'm good at cramming. I should be fine as long as I don't get any other distractions. And besides, it's not like I have a busy social schedule."

Camilla could have nodded in agreement, but she didn't. Alison was more than pretty enough to meet any guy she wanted but, at that moment, she was single. And besides, it wasn't like Camilla was seeing anyone either.

"Oh well. Hope you have fun. Are you going tonight?"

"No, just to the depot now and then there is a bus taking us from to Penrith. The plane leaves from Richmond tomorrow."

"Penrith and Richmond! Could the army pick more boring places to build its bases?"

"Probably not. What are you doing tonight?"

"Not much. You know me; always the bridesmaid."

"That's not true." Alison looked at her watch. "I have to go. I'm getting a lift into the depot and they are meeting me out front in five."

"In five? Gee Alison, you are so army!"

"Thank you!"

"See you later, 'Private Benaud.'"

________________________________________

Canberra, Australia - June 1997

The drive to the bus that night was quiet; uncomfortably quiet. Normally, Jeremy would have driven himself, but a bus was waiting for him and they had ordered him to use it. The bus would transport him to Penrith in outer western Sydney, which is close to the mountains that once posed a challenge for early explorers trying to reach the interior of Australia. Sydney ended at Penrith.

But that was the 19th century. Jeremy would leave Sydney this time in a much more modern way; in the back of a Royal Australian Air Force transport plane. A first time for him and probably most of his soldiers, too. That was the reason that he was now heading to Penrith in the bus on a Friday night. Jeremy would meet up with the rest of the company in Penrith and Richmond air base was a short drive from there. That is where they would leave from the next day en route to Queensland and also where they would return two weeks later. There would be hustle and bustle aplenty after he arrived to prepare for the flight to the camp in Queensland.

But that was later, and right now the car was quiet. Beth was driving him in for the bus tonight, but she was not happy to be doing it. There had been a time when she would have gladly driven Jeremy the twenty minutes along Canberra's wide open and rarely busy roads. But that was a long time ago. They had been together for five years and things between them were no longer good.

Jeremy was glad to be getting away. He had two reasons for wanting to go: visiting the Land Warfare Centre and getting away from Beth. They barely spoke anymore, even though they lived and worked together. It was like they were just sharing the house for convenience. They even drove to their office in separate cars. It was getting ridiculous, but neither of them had had the strength to pull the trigger on their relationship yet.

When Beth's car arrived at the army depot in the city, Jeremy got out and took his bags from the boot. Beth sat in the driver's seat, not bothering to unbuckle her seat belt and step out of the car.

"I'll see you in two weeks," Jeremy said, trying to be pleasant.

"Bye," Beth said with little enthusiasm and barely looking at him. Even the tiniest gestures were now an effort. Every small favour was now a chore. There was no farewell hug or kiss.

Jeremy shut the car door, and then she was gone. He picked up his bags and carried them to the waiting bus. He placed them in the cargo bay and ambled over to the driver, who was checking names off his list.

Looking at the driver, he said, "Lieutenant Holland reporting."