When One Door Closes...

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Maddie was a breath of fresh air for me. She and her mother did very little outside of their house due to a lack of funds, so much of what I did with Maddie was a new experience for her. The first time we went to a real restaurant, not someplace like a McDonald's, she was mesmerized like someone who had just come from another planet. When we went to the park and stopped for a pretzel and a soda after she played at the playground, you would have thought I had taken her to high tea. I think she smiled for a week after the first time. I know I smiled for a week after that just listening to her exclaim over the experience.

She started teaching me Spanish. She was apparently bilingual, and would get the biggest laugh out of me mixing up words and phrases. I ordered a horse and a Coke one time at a McDonald's, and she laughed so hard she started to cry. In her innocence, it never occurred to her that most people didn't speak two languages.

I kept her in the same school she went to for first grade because it was the easiest thing to do for the school system. I had her birth certificate, so they didn't ask too many questions when I put myself down as her contact person and my apartment as her address.

I never did hear back from the police about Maddie's mother, nor from any social services agencies looking to put Maddie in foster care. Darlene must have twisted somebody's arm real good for me, or the city just figured they had too many outstanding cases to worry about Maddie and me.

My cooking skills also improved because with Maddie staying with me, grabbing a pizza and some beer wasn't an acceptable meal, so we started watching some of those cooking shows on the Food Channel, and we tag-teamed in the kitchen. That's one thing I never did with my own kids because Traci was an excellent cook, I have to admit. But with my Maddie's help, I was learning and getting better, and we had some outrageous fun in the kitchen.

I'm not going to lie and say everything was perfect for us. We had our spats and problems like any other family, but that was just it -- like any other family. We had been together a little over a year, and Maddie and I had grown into our own version of a family. And it was pointed out to me at Maddie's school at the beginning of third grade. We were at a school open house one evening and were walking in the hallway when one of Maddie's friends and her parents came up to say hello. Maddie's friend introduced her parents as "my Mom and Dad," and then Maddie introduced me as her dad. I hadn't even thought about our family in those terms, and when she called me her dad I just about collapsed from the incredible joy of hearing those words. I choked up for second and got misty, and had to apologize to the Reynoldses for my momentary silence, saying I got a piece of a snack caught in my throat. Maddie caught it, looking up at me sideways and squeezing my hand. She never again called me Alex, and nothing could have pleased me more.

I was having so much fun being a parent again that I never even noticed I hadn't dated for more than two years when Maddie actually brought it up one day at the grocery store. We were going up and down the aisles filling our cart with stuff on our shopping list when we passed a smallish woman in the produce section. I didn't think anything of it, but Maddie did a double-take at the woman as we passed her.

"Wow, Dad, that is a really pretty woman. You should ask her for a date," Maddie said.

I was looking at the shopping list when she made this announcement, so I immediately stopped the cart and took a good look at the woman we had just passed. She was beautiful! Just then she looked up at me, and we did the embarrassed smile thing to each other.

"Well, aren't you going to say something to her, Dad?" Maddie asked while she looked at us.

Right about then I wanted the floor to swallow me up, but what the hell, maybe the woman would give Maddie and me a pass, so I gave it the old college try.

"Hi. I'm Alex. This is Maddie. As you just heard, Maddie thinks I should ask you out or something," I stammered.

"What do you think?" she asked me as she looked directly into my eyes and gave me a million-dollar smile.

"Uuuhhh ..."

I was completely smitten. Caramel-colored skin, beautiful white teeth, a smile that could melt ice ... and my heart. She looked to be about 5-2, 110, maybe 35 years old, and even though she was wearing a light jacket, it looked like she had curves in the right places and filled out her jeans well. There wasn't a ring on her left hand. I wondered quickly if Maddie noticed that.

"Would you like to have dinner with us some night? All of us ... or just you and I if you would prefer."

"Mueve suavemente, Romeo," Maddie said teasingly in Spanish.

"That was a smooth move, getting your daughter to scope out single women in the grocery for you," the women replied as I blushed a deep red.

"No. Honestly this was not a set-up by me. I'd never do that. Honestly."

"Yeah, right, Romeo. I'm buying that ... not. But yes, I'd like that. To have dinner with both of you. I'm Cherry Roberts, by the way."

"Seriously? It was that easy? Damn, I should have been using the kid a long time ago," I said as both she and I chuckled.

We set up a date for the next Saturday. She said she liked Italian, and Maddie and I had some good recipes for that. After we exchanged phone numbers and I gave her my address, Maddie and I turned to continue shopping. Maddie and I fist-bumped as we turned the corner to the aisle.

"Yeah ... no set-up, right!" she called after us.

The next Saturday finally got here. I swear the days couldn't have moved more slowly. After cleaning the apartment, Maddie and I set about making homemade lasagna, garlic breadsticks and salad, with homemade tortoni for dessert. The cooking calmed my nerves, because truthfully, I was as jumpy as a cat. After all, it had been more than 20 years since my last date.

And that's when it hit me -- hard. It had been 20 years since my last date. Of course, those last dates had all been with Traci, and I really had to think hard to remember whom the last person was I dated before Traci and I got together. I think it might have been Marianne Rizzo. Last I heard about her, she married the next guy she dated after me. I wondered if they are still married, or did her marriage go in the same direction as mine.

"Easy boy," I finally said to myself. "This is a date, just a damn date, and you're already thinking marriage."

It wasn't just me who seemed up for this; Maddie seemed energized as well. She was right by my side helping me as we cleaned and then cooked. I hadn't realized it, but Cherry was going to be the first visitor we'd had over to the apartment who wasn't Mrs. Olivares or was older than about 10 years old.

Dinner went off well, I thought. It was a little nerve-wracking at first, but having an 8-year-old around is a great icebreaker.

"My mom wasn't married either. Have you ever been married before, Cherry?" she blurted out when I brought Cherry a glass of Galliano soon after she had arrived.

Cherry blushed almost as much as I did at the question. Then she looked Maddie straight in the eyes and gently said, "I used to be married to a wonderful man, Baby. But that was in the past."

I saw a look of sadness and then pain wash across her face as she answered the question.

"Dad used to be married, too. And he's got two other children besides me," Maddie continued.

At that point I figured I'd better give Cherry the Reader's Digest version of my marriage and divorce and how I came to be Maddie's dad. She took it all in quietly, with a stoic look on her face. She and Maddie both looked a little tearful when I got to the part about Maddie's mother not returning home.

The sadness faded quickly for Maddie, though, who then asked Cherry about her name.

"That's a cool name, Cherry. I bet your parents were fun when you were a kid."

"Well that's kind of a funny story, Baby," Cherry answered. "Actually my real name is Marcella, and for short I was called Cella. One day in the grocery store my younger brother saw a box of Cella chocolate-covered cherries, and after that he started calling me "Cherry." It stuck, and now everyone calls me that, so I go by it as well."

"Well, it fits you much better than Marcella," I jumped in. "I see thick, dark-rimmed glasses, man hands, and a sturdy backside."

"Ooh. That's harsh," Cherry responded with a giggle. "You never, ever get to call me by my given name."

Cherry stayed with us until it was Maddie's bedtime at 9. Then she said that it was time for her to go, too. I hoped she wasn't just being polite when she said she had a good time, and that next time we should do it at her apartment.

I got a quick peck on the lips as she headed out the door. Just for a brief second, I thought I smelled arousal, but it had been so long, maybe I was just dreaming.

"I like her, Dad. I think she'd be a good fit with us," Maddie said after I closed the door.

I had to admit to myself at least that the kid was right ... so far.

We did the family date night thing for five Saturdays in a row, and I think we all had a good time. I knew, however, that I needed to try this one-on-one to see if this had a chance of going anywhere. Maddie took the news well when I told her that I was taking Cherry out to a restaurant -- just the two of us -- and that she was going to spend the evening with Mrs. Olivares. I certainly wasn't going to leave Maddie home alone like her mother did. I would never criticize Maddie's mom to her, but leaving an 8-year-old home alone while I went on a date wasn't going to happen. Besides, I think both Maddie and I were very much aware that things didn't turn out well the last time she was left alone at home.

I had made reservations at a nice steak house for our first "alone date," as Maddie called it. I knew the mood was definitely going to be different when I showed up at Cherry's door to pick her up. She was wearing a somewhat tight, silky dress, open in front so her perky 36Cs were showing nicely, and short enough to make her short legs look a little longer. She had a touch more makeup than usual, and was wearing a different perfume, something a little sexier and spicier, without being overpowering.

"Damn, and I forgot to bring my stick. How the hell am I going to fight off all the other men?"

"If you think that silver tongue is going to get you anywhere ... well, you might just be right," she laughed back at me.

We had a great meal and enjoyable conversation of a more adult nature without Maddie, although it did feel a little weird for her not to be with me.

"You're missing her right now, aren't you?" Cherry suddenly asked as she looked directly into my eyes.

"Kinda," I admitted. "With the exception of school and work, we are always together, and I don't mind one bit."

"You really miss the first two, don't you?" she asked.

"Terribly, although not with the attitude that I've gotten since I left. I know they're just kids, but they aren't even making an effort to see things from my standpoint. My ex has really poisoned them against me."

"You seem like you'd be good with kids," I continued. "If you don't mind my asking, how come you never had any?"

"No, I don't mind. We were considering it at the time I made the absolute stupidest decision I ever made in my life. I disrespected and cheated on my husband, all for the thrill of illicit sex. I was a stupid, dumb bitch, and tore the heart out of the one person who I cared most about in all the world. It's a mistake I won't ever make again if I get another chance to ever love somebody like that again."

Cherry's voice trailed off as she said the last part, but I caught every word that she said in that barely audible whisper. Her eyes were filled with tears, which she tried unsuccessfully to blink away. I gave her my napkin and she gently dabbed at her eyes.

"I'm sorry if I made you go someplace you'd rather not," I said.

"I've never really vocalized it with anyone before this," she said. "Not even my parents. I'm too ashamed of myself."

"That's enough of the adult talk, then," I said. "Let's blow this joint and see if you've got any moves on the dance floor, Missy."

"Missy? Just how old do you think I am -- 12?"

"Actually, I figured you for 35, but I'm 44, so you're a kid to me," I said.

"Really, 35?" she sounded happy. "I'm 42. I was married for 12 years, been divorced for nine. You are really great for a girl's ego, sir."

"No way you're just two years younger than me. I look like I could practically be ... your older brother," I laughed.

I paid the tab and we headed out to a dance club that Traci and I used to hit occasionally. I'm no Fred Astaire, but Traci liked to go dancing, so one of the first things I did when we got some extra money was take some dance lessons. I learned quickly enough that sitting on the sidelines watching your wife dancing with other men didn't make for an enjoyable evening.

Cherry was as light on her feet as she was easy on the eyes. We danced to both slow and fast music for about 30 minutes before I needed a break. Cherry looked like she could have kept going, but she came off the floor with me and we found a stand-up table to claim. I went off to the bar, and no sooner had I left the table than the first vulture swooped in. I watched out of the corners of my eyes, trying not to seem too obvious. I saw Cherry smile and laugh -- the vulture must have been somewhat funny -- but she didn't move away from the table. I was more than a little pleased.

She sucked on her margarita when I handed it to her. Pretty soon vulture No. 2 swooped in, a guy of about 25. He acknowledged my presence but still turned to Cherry and asked her if she wanted to dance.

"Excuse me, Slick, but the lady is with me. I don't take kindly to being disrespected, especially by children."

I spoke quietly but firmly, and kept a smile on my face. I know the smile wasn't in my eyes, though, and the kid apparently knew he broke guy protocol.

"Sorry, man, I didn't realize you two were an item," he whined before slinking off.

We finished our drinks and went back out on the dance floor, staying out for about 30 more minutes. Another kid actually tried cutting in once, but he at least was smart enough to ask me first. When I told him no, he took it well, stuck his hand out and said, "Can't blame a guy for trying. She's gorgeous."

We went back to the table and both had another drink. As we were finishing up, another vulture swooped in and asked me for permission to dance with Cherry. I was tired, but I figured if she still wanted to dance, I'd let her go out. She shook her head back at me, and I gave him the bad news.

I took her home and she suggested I come in for a bit. It was only 10:30, so I agreed. We each had a glass of wine and talked easily for another hour. I got up at that point, and she got up with me. I wasn't sure how to close the deal, and I must have looked like the proverbial deer in the headlights, because she gave me that little giggle that I was really beginning to love the sound of hearing. I blushed deeply, and she knew I was in deep trouble.

"Don't worry Alex. We're not in any rush here, are we?" she sort of cooed at me.

Two weeks later, in my bedroom, I broke my 0 for 2 years streak. It wasn't anything wild and crazy, because Maddie was asleep in the next room, but I can't tell you how good it felt to get relief from a real, live pussy, instead of my left hand. I didn't last long, but Cherry seemed to be good with that because before I got mine, I made sure she got hers -- four times, twice by fingers and twice by mouth. Traci always said I was a world-class pussy eater, and well, it's sort of like riding a bicycle, you just don't forget. And, boy, can Cherry cum.

I didn't fuck her ass, but I spent considerable time chewing on her wonderful brown bubble butt. I left a few mouthprints for her to admire when she's getting dressed for the next several days.

Although it wasn't in the plans for the evening, Cherry also spent the night in my bed, tucked into my arm and chest for much of it. When we both got up for breakfast, she went into my closet and came out wearing a white dress shirt which covered up the essentials but still made her look incredibly sexy. We hit the kitchen, where we were soon joined by Maddie, who gave out a squeal when she saw that Cherry was still with us. She ran to her and jumped into Cherry's arms, nearly knocking Cherry over. They hugged tightly, and both seemed genuinely happy to be in the other's arms. It was almost ridiculously mushy, and I rolled my eyes at the pair.

"Pancakes! Pancakes!" they both yelled in unison.

"Chocolate chip pancakes!" I yelled back.

Six months later, Cherry moved in with us permanently, and we became a 21st century version of The Brady Bunch. Despite the fact that I was still paying alimony and child support, I made a decent living, and Cherry worked for an accounting firm and also made a decent living. Maddie didn't lack for much, although she didn't really ask for much. I guess when you grow up without much, almost anything can be seen as a lot. I guess everything is relative.

And while we might have been a modern-day version of The Brady Bunch, I guess we looked like a modern-day version of The Odd Couple -- in this case, The Odd Trio. We were black, white, and Hispanic, and each of us had a different last name. Some of that was resolved when I registered Maddie for fourth grade in the fall. I listed her name as Maddie Ruiz Rogers. She was with me when I registered her, and her eyes got big when she saw what I had written. She didn't say anything until we got out of the school, then she practically exploded.

"I can be a Rogers like you? Really?" she squealed.

"Not really legally, at least for a few more years," I answered, "But according to 'Rogers rules', you are eligible to join the club." I made air quotes when I said Rogers rules, but that didn't deter Maddie in the least. She jumped into my arms and started kissing my cheeks.

After 30 seconds of celebrating, Maddie pulled back and sort of gave me a cool look. I was a little taken aback until she spoke up.

"When does Cherry get to become a Rogers?" she inquired.

"You know, that's a real good question. I'm going to have to give that one some serious consideration."

And I seriously did. In fact, on the one-year anniversary of our first date I had Maddie stay with Mrs. Olivares while I went out after work to the jeweler I used when I bought gifts for Traci. Cherry said she was going to be home late and would catch her own supper, so I figured I had a good couple of hours to find the right ring. It was a little after 6 when I left Gene Horowitz Jewelers, having just conceptualized a custom engagement ring with Gene's daughter, Jolene.

Having called in a pizza order for Maddie, Mrs. Olivares, and me, I drove over to my favorite pizza place in a small shopping center. Just as I was about to step out of my car, I glanced over to a small but fashionable eatery just a few doors down ... and that's when my world ended for the second time. Heading into the restaurant hand-in-hand with a 40-ish looking handsome black guy was my Cherry. She seemed animated and very happy. I stared after them, not able to move ... or breath ... or think.

I don't know how long I sat in my car before I realized I hadn't taken a breath in some time and felt like I was about to pass out. I took a deep breath, then another. Then I decided I needed to get Maddie fed, so I went into the pizza place and got my order. I drove home in a stupor. I don't remember much of the evening, at least until Cherry came home at about 8. She was still animated and seemed to be in great spirits as she breezed in the door.