When Thunder Rolls Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
YouDidWhut
YouDidWhut
1,583 Followers

"Yes General." they replied in unison again as the distant cousin knelt to remove my shackles.

Leaning forward in his chair General Richardson looked at me, smiled then reaching into his jacket he removed another cigar from it. Holding it out to me, he began to speak as he climbed to his feet.

"I was in Washington last month and General Grant himself gave me a few boxes of his famous cigars. I'd like you to have one, if nothing else, as a reminder that not all Yankees want to try and kill you."

"Thank you, sir." I said, as I took the gift he was offering. I had no idea of Beth's beliefs on smoking a cigar; most women hated it. But I would be damned to Hell itself if I wouldn't try to smoke this one tonight on her front porch.

Walking onto the porch of that house gave me a most peculiar feeling. An hour ago, I was convinced that I was about to hang, and now I was a free man. I had somehow, through an act of God or some other form of divine intervention, escaped the hangman's noose a second time in a month and was returning to Beth and Shannon. I made a solemn vow to myself and to God that I would never again risk losing them because of my temper.

The four of us stood on the porch talking as a trooper was dispatched to saddle Thunder and return him and my guns to me. Twenty minutes later, we walked to the gate of the fence around the yard as Thunder nervously pawed at the ground beneath his hooves. I mounted him and as I eased into the saddle the Provost asked me if Thunder was a fast as he looked like he was.

"Well, he out charged and out ran everything you boys had for the better part of the last four years." I said grinning down at him as I patted Thunder's neck.

"You had him the entire war?" the General asked, seeming shocked by that revelation.

"Every miserable day of it." I replied.

"That is one hell of an animal." he replied with awe in his voice.

"He certainly is. This is a beautiful farm you have General, hopefully you will live long enough to grow old on it. Now if you gentlemen will excuse me, I have a promise to keep to two very special ladies." then I added, "General, keep your powder dry out west. The Indians out there ain't nearly as forgiving as we were. We took prisoners, those bastards take scalps."

"Sound advice Mister Thatcher and thank you." he replied, waving his hand in a farewell gesture as I wheeled Thunder around and galloped down the road toward Beth and Shannon.

It was about two hours until sunset when I turned onto to the lane leading to Beth's farm. As we cantered down it, I could see the framework for the roof of a new barn. Thunder got a tad skittish as we rode into the yard because there were several members of the community present and the noise and excitement of the work being done unnerved him slightly. The work came to a stop as I dismounted and led Thunder to the water trough. I looked up when I heard a young voice cry out my name and smiled as I saw Shannon running toward me.

"You came back Thad!" she cried, wrapping her arms around me and hugging me tightly.

"Of course, I came back. I had to fulfill a promise to a very pretty young lady."

"Who?" she said, looking up at me, her small blue eyes sparkling with what I hoped were tears of happiness at my return and not tears of fear at the condition of my face.

"You Silly." I replied, looking down at her and gently pushing on the tip of her nose with my index finger, adding as I looked around, "Where is your mother at Shannon?"

"In the barn with the Sheriff. He is the one who got all the neighbors together for the barn raising. He slept in James' bedroom and stayed here the entire time you were gone. What happened to your face Thad?" she asked, as she took me by the hand and led me toward the barn.

"I got into a discussion that I should have avoided." I answered honestly.

"Oh. You mean you got whipped in a fight?" Shannon responded with a grin on her face.

"Something like that." I replied, laughing as she continued to grin at me.

I stepped into the barn amazed by how quickly it had been rebuilt. The only things missing were the roof and interior doors for the four livestock stalls. As I stepped across the threshold I saw Elizabeth standing beside the Sheriff with her hands on her hips, looking down at the barn floor. The Sheriff noticed me first and it was his grinning nod that caused Beth to look in my direction.

For the briefest of moments, I saw relief and something else in her eyes and a small smile crossed her lips; but something happened when I smiled back and took a step toward her. The smile disappeared, and the look I saw in her eyes was one that seemed like a cross between fear and hatred. It pained me that she would look at me in such a manner.

She didn't say a word as she turned and walked toward us and instead of greeting me, she took Shannon by her other hand then continued walking toward the yard. Shannon looked over her shoulder at me asking her mother where they were going.

"We must thank our neighbors for helping today Shannon." I heard her say as I began to follow them.

"But Momma! Thaddeus is back!" Shannon protested.

"I can see that, and we will speak to Mister Thatcher in due time, now come along Shannon." Beth demanded.

"Yes Momma." Shannon replied obediently.

The Sheriff walked up to me grinning as he removed his hat and wiped the sweat from his brow. Replacing his hat, he smiled at me knowingly and then spoke in a low tone.

"You look like shit son." he whispered, staring at me.

"If it is any consolation; I feel worse."

"Did you at least get a lick in?"

"Not this time and there won't be a next time. I am through dealing with the Union Army."

"Your new business partner seems to have a lot more, um, spirit these days."

"I have noticed."

"A woman like that can make or break a man."

"I have noticed that as well Sir." I replied, watching Beth and Shannon begin to say their goodbyes to the townsfolk that had shown up.

"Thaddeus, I am not certain if I should congratulate you or begin to compose your eulogy."

"It probably would be best if you did both. If I am not here in the morning, check for fresh turned dirt in the field out back."

"You mean the field that William James and his sons just plowed today?" the old man replied laughing at me.

"Well, damn." I muttered and then added, "By the by Sheriff, what is your name?"

"Jerimiah Potter." He answered.

"Well Mister Potter, the lovely Missus and Miss Sullivan have bid their guests adieu and are heading back this way. Would you like to hasten your departure as well, so you can look the grand jury in the eyes and honestly say that you saw nothing?"

"That sounds like a splendid idea Mister Thatcher! A splendid idea indeed; I do believe I shall." He said laughing before he added, "I'm happy to see you made it Thaddeus."

"Thank you, Jerimiah, for everything." I replied, shaking his hand before he turned and walked toward his horse.

As Beth and Shannon approached me I began to feel a sense of panic developing in my chest. I knew the upcoming reunion with Beth wasn't going to be what I expected, and I had no idea how it would begin or end. What I got was so completely unexpected that to this day, I cringe when I reminisce on it.

Beth walked up to me and looking me directly in the eyes, slapped me across the face so hard that my head spun sideways from the force of the blow. The sting instantly brought tears to my eyes and Shannon stood stock still in shock at her mother's act of violence. Spinning on her heels she quickly led Shannon away and into the house without having spoken a single word to me the entire time I had been back.

I stood in the yard in stunned silence as the front door slammed shut then I walked to Thunder and taking him by the bridle, I led him into the barn and put him in the stall beside Rose. I had the distinct feeling that both Thunder and I would be sleeping here tonight and that was confirmed about an hour later when Shannon appeared with my supper on a plate and tears in her eyes. It angered me somewhat that Beth had sent her child instead of coming outside to speak to me herself but a small part of me was relieved that I did not have to face the redheaded force of nature that was her mother.

"Thank you, Shannon." I said to her as I took the plate.

"Mother said to tell you that there are oats and grain in the shed for Thunder and Rose."

"I'll see to it after supper."

"Why did Mother slap you Thad?"

"Miss Shannon, sometimes adults do things that seem strange to children," I answered her adding as I winked, "and to other adults as well. But truth be told, I probably deserved that one."

"But you kept your promise to us; you came back." she said with such innocence in her voice that I had to pause to consider my words before I answered her.

"Shannon, sometimes promises are not enough." I said quietly.

"If you say so Thad." Shannon responded, clearly not understanding what I was trying to say.

"I do, now go on back inside before you mother comes out here to see what is taking so long."

"Can I ride Thunder tomorrow?" she asked, glancing over at him and smiling.

"We will see. Now run along before we both get into more trouble." I said, half laughing, giving her my best conspiratorial wink and smile.

"Yes Sir." she responded with a giggle, as she turned and ran back to the house.

About an hour after sunset I stepped onto the front porch and gently knocked on the door. I waited for a reasonable amount of time and knocked again. This time Beth answered by flinging the door open and stepping on the porch with an angry scowl on her face.

"I assumed that you would understood that I wish to be left alone Mister Thatcher!" she stated in a harsh tone.

"I do Missus Sullivan, I simply need my clothes. I was told in no uncertain terms that if I am caught wearing this uniform again I will be hung by the neck. I have no intentions of questioning the integrity or whims of a Yankee Brigadier General. So, if you will be so kind as to retrieve them and my other effects for me I would appreciate it." I replied in as stern a tone as I dared, given the circumstance.

"Give me a moment." she said as she walked back inside and shut the door.

I sat down on the swing as I waited and reaching into my pocket I pulled the cigar out, then I lit it. Turning it over in my fingers I wondered if the tobacco was Cuban or American. I had just settled on Cuban and taken a second puff when the door opened, and Beth stepped onto the porch holding a bundle of clothing. She scowled as she looked at me, then sat the bundle down on the porch.

"Get that disgusting thing off my porch right now Thaddeus." she said pointing at the cigar.

"I'll have you know that this was a gift from Ulysses S. Grant himself, by way of the Brigadier that threatened to hang me." I replied, taking another puff.

"I don't care if it was gifted to you from our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, get it off my porch!"

"Yes Dear." I said, flinging it into the yard.

"Do not call me that. Do not ever call me that again." Beth stated angrily, placing a large emphasis on ever.

"Beth, please, I beseech you, please tell me what I did to upset you so. Please?" I pleaded with her.

"My name is Elizabeth." she said, placing her hands on her hips as she glared at me.

"What did I do?" I asked, sitting up straight.

"You killed two men Thaddeus."

"They burned your barn down Beth."

"Elizabeth!" she hissed angrily at me.

"They burned your barn down Beth." I replied, beginning to feel a rage boiling inside me.

"It was a barn Thaddeus. A barn! You killed two men over a damned barn!" she cried out angrily.

"I killed two Yankee deserters to protect you and Shannon! Do you not think that I do not understand the ramifications of that? Do you honestly believe that if they had gotten into the house that you would have been spared? Do you think that Shannon only being ten would have spared her? I've seen first hand what men like those do to women when they find them alone. I must live with what I've seen for the rest of my days. Believe me when I tell you Beth, I am more than willing to live with killing animals like those to protect the people I care about!" I said, rising to my feet, pointing a finger at her and adding, "Judge me if you wish, personally I did not give a damn about your barn. I was sending a message that you and Shannon are protected. And by God in Heaven, I will do it again tomorrow or any other day, if need be! Good night Beth." I said as I scooped up my clothing and started to walk off the porch.

"You callous bastard!" she cried out.

"Excuse me?" I said, dropping my clothes to the porch with a thud as I turned on her.

"I lost my brother! I lost my husband! I lost my son; Thaddeus, I lost my son! I lost them all because a bastard like you hunted them down and killed them. And I realized last night that it was probably because someone had burnt down a damned barn!" she sobbed, slumping against the wall of the house.

"Probably, but most likely they were trying to kill the men that killed them." I replied as her head snapped up with the hatred, pain and anger in her eyes turning them as cold as ice.

"Thaddeus, I think it would be best if you left." she said stiffly, wiping away the tears from her cheeks.

"Why?"

"Because I am becoming very angry and that last remark was totally inappropriate." she said.

"Inappropriate to whom Missus Sullivan? To you? To the people in town? To the Commonwealth of Kentucky? I simply spoke the truth, nothing more." I said, reaching down to retrieve my clothes for a second time.

"Nothing more?" she replied with an angry tone in her voice.

"Nothing more." I responded, staring at her until she turned her head to break away from my gaze.

"Good night Thaddeus." she said, reaching for the doorknob.

"Beth, I have made it painfully clear and very obvious as to my intentions and desire for you. You on the other hand have, for the most part, treated me with scorn, indifference, intolerance and this evening, violence. None of which were warranted or something that I deserved. I have treated you and Shannon with respect and reverence and you have treated me as though I am personally responsible for all the wrongs and evils that have befallen you. Maybe I should leave; perhaps it would be best for all of us. Good night and goodbye Missus Sullivan." I said, picking up my clothing again and stepping off the porch to retrieve my now extinguished cigar. I headed for the barn; and when I got there, I turned my head to look back at the house seeing that she had already retreated inside.

Sunrise found me sitting on an overturned crate in the barn pulling a boot on when I looked up to see Beth standing in the door. We stared at each other as I finished and stood up stomping my feet to adjust the fit. Without saying a word, I walked to Thunder's stall and led him onto the barn floor then walked into the tack room to grab his bridle and saddle. When I walked out on to the barn floor, Thunder was back in his stall and Beth was brushing his neck softly with her fingertips.

"Were you leaving without saying goodbye?" she asked, refusing to look at me.

"I said my goodbyes last night Elizabeth." I replied, finally accepting the reality of the situation and giving into her desire to go back to the way things were before my arrival a week ago.

"Did you sleep well?" she asked softly, still not looking at me.

"Tolerable. The hay was soft." I answered honestly beginning to bridle Thunder.

"I did not sleep at all last night Thaddeus. Nary a wink." And when she turned to look at me, I believed her. Her eyes were red, puffy and bloodshot and I noticed the bags under them for the first time.

"I'm sorry about that." I said, feeling less emotion at her apparent sufferings than I should have.

"Do you think we can simply be business partners Thad?" she asked.

"No. Most likely not and you will never see me in the same light I see you in. So, it would I think, be in our best interest if I simply moved on to Texas."

"I am too old for you Thad." she sighed.

"Are we back to that argument again?" I replied, rubbing Thunder's neck as he tossed his head.

"Yes."

"Is that the best one you have?" I said, feeling too exhausted to even try to debate it again.

"No."

"Then stop dilly-dallying and say it." I demanded, reaching for Thunder's bridle and leading him out of the stall again.

"What happened between us the other night was, to say the least, wonderful Thad. I've never been with a man before who could make me, well, behave the way I did with you. I had a vivacious, handsome young Cavalry officer treat me as though my body was the most precious gift he had ever received. Then I found out that I was your first woman and it brought into stark contrast the differences between our ages. I cannot risk or even tolerate the thought of you slipping into anther woman's arms at night in a few years because you don't believe I am still the woman you bedded that night."

She said it with such simple trust and conviction that I stood there in awe of her ability to make me see that deeply into her soul. It was not our age differences that was holding her back; it was simply fear that I would grow tired of her and leave. I had faced fear so often that I had become callous to what it could do to a person, especially a woman who had lost so much in such a short amount of time and so recently. I turned to her, dropping the saddle and turning Thunder lose.

"Listen to me Beth. Listen very carefully because what I am about to ask, and your response to it, shall determine if I stay or go."

"Yes?"

"If I stay, can you promise me that you will give me the chance to prove to you that I am worthy?"

"Thaddeus, that is a lot to ask, considering we have only known one another for such a short time."

"That did not answer the question Beth. I asked you for a chance to prove that I am worthy of you. Can you give me that?"

"Possibly. I will try to give you the chance but there is so much turmoil in my life that it may not be a fair one."

"Very well Missus Sullivan, thank you for being so candid with me." I said as I reached down to grab my saddle.

Placing it on Thunder I began to tighten and adjust the cinches and straps that held it in place. I heard a soft gasp and glancing over at Beth, I saw her shoulders slump, then saw them begin to rise and fall as she silently began to sob. I stopped what I was doing and walked over to her. Taking her by the shoulders I began to pull her to me, ignoring her feeble protests as she attempted to squirm out of my grasp.

"Look at me Beth." I said to her as she attempted to pull away.

"No! Let go of me Thaddeus! You're hurting me!" she said as I tightened my grasp because of her struggling.

"Then look at me damn it!" I said, releasing her so quickly that she stumbled backwards and fell to the floor.

"What? What do you want?" she screamed at me so loudly that her voice cracked as she looked up with tears beginning to roll down her cheeks.

"Good God woman are you really this thickheaded? I want you!" I yelled back, causing Beth to go wide-eyed and Thunder and Rose to snort and paw the flooring beneath their feet. "The other night was incredible, and you were correct, I did treat you like your body was the most precious gift I had ever been offered, because it is the most precious gift I have ever been offered. I wanted you the moment I laid eyes on you in that dressing gown and I am getting sick and tired of you thinking that because you passed some mystical date in an almanac that you are now a dried-up useless hag!"

"Stop saying that!" she whispered, the tears streaming down her face in earnest now.

YouDidWhut
YouDidWhut
1,583 Followers