When You Know, You Know

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

**

"I can imagine the look on his face!" Tegan snorted, laughing so hard I thought Corona was going to come out of her nose.

We'd been talking about high school and all the shenanigans we got ourselves into, and I was telling her about our senior prank. One of us had read that cows can't walk down stairs, but they can walk up them, and as it turned out, our buddy Joe had a dairy farm right next to the school, so being dumbass kids, we walked a cow up to the top of the bleachers.

"Oh he was not happy!" I said, laughing pretty hard myself at the memory. "It turns out that they can't, and next thing we know the entire school is outside watching the principal try to figure out how to get this cow down!"

"How'd they do it?" She asked, still laughing.

"Had to get a scissor lift and get the cow on it," I said between breaths as I was trying to recover. "Had to take apart the fencing on the back of the bleachers and everything."

"I'm sure that went over well," she said, calming herself down.

"We all got in school suspensions and Joe got grounded for stealing one of his cows," I chuckled. "How about you? What was your senior prank?"

"Nothing that good, that's for sure," she laughed. "We just came in at like three in the morning with one of the local kids Bobcat and blocked every entrance to the school with boulders."

"Oh my god!" I laughed, imagining the confusion. "What did they do?"

"What could they do?" She smiled. "They sent us home while they had a construction team come in and move them all. Got us the day off school!"

"I wish we'd have thought of that," I chuckled.

"I can be devious when I try," she said with a sly grin.

"Duly noted," I grinned back. "Remind me not to get on your bad side."

"Don't want your doors blocked with boulders do ya?"

"Climbing through my window doesn't really sound all that fun," I quipped.

"I'm having a really good time tonight Jack," she said after pausing while I paid the bill. "Too bad days have to end before a new one can start... I don't want this one to be over."

"Lucky for you," I began as I held my hand out to her to help her up. She took it but didn't let go as we made our way out of the restaurant. "We've still got a few more hours until the day is officially over, and I've got a few more tricks up my sleeve."

"Ok Mr. Great Ideas, what else do you have in store?" She asked, turning her head to smile up at me.

"Well, that all depends," I said as I smiled back. "Would you prefer we finish off the date with the standard movie, or would you rather go find a nice spot on the river bank, build a little fire, have a few drinks, and hang out under the stars and keep getting to know each other?"

"I think anyone who chooses movie shouldn't be allowed to make decisions for themselves," she giggled as I helped her up into the truck. "I'm a sucker for a fire under the stars."

"Your wish is my command Madam," I said with a bow as I made my way to the other side of the truck, hopping up in the seat and firing it up.

I put my hand on the shifter and put it in reverse and I felt her hand atop mine, so I didn't dare try to move it as I made my way up through the gears, finally settling into fifth as we made our way down the two lane road.

It was still light as the sun was just setting, leaving the sky painted a beautiful mix of orange, red, yellow and purple for the next hour or so before it would finally fade into night, leaving the sky littered with bright shiny stars amidst the scattered few clouds that still remained.

Wishing I was holding her hand proper instead of her just holding the top of mine, I rolled my hand as I lifted it from the shifter, once again capturing her hand in mine before she could reflexively pull it away thinking I needed it for something and set our joined hands on the bench seat, earning myself an ear to ear smile from her in the process.

She looked so absolutely radiant sitting in the passenger seat with the picture perfect sky framed behind her through the window as we drove southbound. Her hair seemed even more beautiful than before with the way the sky was almost reflecting off of it. Between her and the scene outside of the truck, I doubted I'd ever seen a more beautiful sight, and I kept glancing over at her with a smile to reassure myself it was actually real.

"Whatcha lookin' at?" She drawled with a smile.

"I don't think I've ever seen anything so beautiful in my life," I said honestly, realizing I'd been busted.

"It sure is a beautiful sunset, I could look at it for hours," she said with a content sigh as she looked back out the window.

"Oh I see that all the time," I blushed as she turned back to me. "I was talking about you."

"Keep it up Cowboy," she smiled as she grabbed the ballcap off my head before replacing it on her own. "Flattery will get you everywhere."

I didn't say anything else, instead I lifted our joined hands and placed them back on the shifter so I could get down into fourth as we were slowing to make the turn off the main road onto the dirt track that led to my favorite spot on the river.

As expected, the grassy clearing along the bank was deserted, leaving us alone, which suited me just fine. I didn't want to have to share this night with anyone else anyways. I swung the truck around and backed up so the tailgate was facing toward the water, leaving about fifty feet between it and the bank and shut it off, pushing the gear shift into first so it wouldn't roll, and quickly hopped out of the truck and made my way towards her door to help her out.

When she climbed out she aimlessly walked around the clearing and towards the water, sort of taking it all in. I could tell she definitely approved of my choice in spots, so I left her to explore while I dropped the tailgate and pulled out the wood, lawn chairs, and the cooler to get it all set up.

It wasn't long before I had a fire roaring and the chairs all set up, so I called her back and offered her a beer from the cooler which she gladly accepted before unfolding the lawn chairs and placing them side by side near the fire, dropping herself into one of them and kicked back to enjoy the night.

I grabbed myself a beer as well before putting some soft country music on the Bluetooth speaker, leaving it on the tailgate to act more as background music and plopped myself in the chair next to her, offering her my bottle for a cheers.

"I'd say you picked a good spot Jack," she sighed contentedly as she took a pull off her beer. "I can't imagine a more perfect night for it."

"We used to come here in high school, and I've been coming here every now and again ever since I moved home whenever I need some time to think," I said. "Though I like it better now that you're here."

"I think I'm a fan of being here too," she smiled. "What brought you back home?"

"I was a baseball player, and it's hard to continue to play when you blow out your knee twice," I laughed, any sense of disdain towards it instantly evaporating from being fortunate enough to be in her presence. "So once my career was over, I figured what better place to start over than where it all started to begin with?"

"You were a baseball player?" She asked, obviously intrigued. "Like professional?"

"That I was," I grinned. "Spent a good many years in the minor leagues but got my chance in the big leagues, playing a year and making it to the World Series when I got called up. Didn't work out though."

"I'm so sorry Jack," she frowned. "That's gotta suck... I take it that Phillies hat is from their World Series run when you were playing?"

"I spent most of my career in the minor leagues with the Red Sox but got traded to and called up by the Phillies," I explained. "It sucked when I blew out my knee. Baseball was all I ever wanted out of life, and to have it ripped away like that right after finally catching a break, well, it sucked. That's for sure."

"I can't even imagine," she said as she took my hand. "It must be hard not playing anymore."

"It was for a while. I hated everything and felt defeated, but I guess it all worked out in the end," I said with a smile, trying to lighten the mood.

"How'd it all work out?" She asked.

"I still love the game, and I get to coach the high school team so I'm still involved," I explained. "Plus, if I'd have never gotten hurt, I wouldn't be sitting here with you right now, and that alone makes it all worth it."

She didn't say anything else. She sat quietly for a second, staring at the fire, looking like she was contemplating something, and I started to worry I'd came on a little too strong. Before I could say anything else she erased my fears by leaning over to me and gently pressing her lips to mine in a kiss that was more perfect than anything else I'd experienced in my life.

She pulled away before I even had a chance to really kiss her back. It didn't last long, not near as long as I would have liked it. Giggling, she stood up and bounced over to the cooler to grab us each a new beer. After she handed me mine she sat back down in her chair with a contented sigh. We didn't talk for a long while, instead we just sat and watched the last slivers of the sun sink below the trees on the other side of the river.

It was almost serene. The music couldn't have mixed with the soft rustle of the leaves and the crickets any better than it did. The sky couldn't have been painted any more beautiful. I truly felt like I was in heaven, not being able to imagine a night being any better.

"I'd say I'm happy to be sitting here with you too," she said after a long while. "Thanks for an amazing night Jack."

"I should be thanking you for going out with me in the first place," I chuckled.

"Oh trust me, if you didn't ask, I'd have asked before too long," she smiled. "You weren't getting away from me that easy."

"I can't say I'd want to get away from you," I grinned as I took a pull on my beer.

"Good," she said, taking a pull from her beer as well. "Oooo I love this song!" She said giddily as she stood and grabbed my hand.

"Uhhhh I don't know how to dance," I laughed as she drug me to my feet.

"If you want a second date, and more following that, you'll have to learn," she giggled. "I love to dance."

We stood there by the fire for the rest of the song, and a few following ones as well, gently swaying and laughing as I tried to figure out how to not have two left feet. I didn't care that I was making a fool of myself, I was just genuinely enjoying the feeling of holding her close.

As the third song, 'It's Your Love' by Tim McGraw was ending, I looked down at her and saw the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen smiling back at me and I just knew I had to kiss her. As the last notes of the song faded away I bent down to kiss her. She must have been thinking the same thing since she met me halfway, our lips touching for the second time.

I was absolutely in heaven. I didn't want the kiss to end. She didn't either. Our bodies molded together perfectly, each of us holding the other close, almost as if we were scared the other would drift away, as the kiss deepened and the passion rose. Everything about her was pure perfection, and her kiss was no exception.

"Wow..." she sighed as we broke the kiss.

"I would agree," I grinned as I looked down into her eyes.

"Forget dancing," she smiled. "Keep kissing me like that and you'll get your second date."

"That can be arranged," I laughed as I leaned down to kiss her again.

We stood there by the fire for two songs, making out like lovestruck teenagers, and neither of us would have changed a thing about it. After a while we parted once more, needing a drink and some air, so we sat down in our chairs again and just watched the fire, enjoying each others company and the feeling of her hand in mine.

"I probably should have asked, but do you need to be home at a certain time for any reason?" I asked as I stood to grab us both a new beer.

"I've got nothing going on tomorrow," she confirmed with a smile. "We could stay here all night."

"Don't tempt me with a good time," I chuckled as I handed her the beer, sitting back down in my chair.

"What if it gets cold?" She asked with a dubious smile.

"I've got blankets, and I'm basically a space heater," I smiled back.

"I'm always cold," she said, her smile never fading. "You might have to hold me."

"Once again, don't tempt me with a good time," I said.

"I'm cold now," she said as she climbed into my lap to sit sideways. "Warm me up?"

"Absolutely," I grinned, holding her close and kissing her once more. She wasn't cold at all. She felt like a bundle of warmth in my arms.

It felt like we stayed that way for hours, only separating when one of us needed a new beer or the fire needed more wood. She must have dozed off at one point, because in her sleep she nuzzled herself closer to me, searching for warmth. It wasn't really cold outside, still in the mid sixties, so I assumed it was a reflex to curl into whatever source of warmth she was feeling.

I really had to pee, but I didn't want to wake her. She looked so absolutely beautiful curled up like she was. Eventually though, natures call overcame that and I had to gently rustle her away so I could get up.

"Uhnnnnn," she moaned as she came back awake. "How long was I out?"

"Not long. I'd have let you sleep forever but nature calls," I said gently.

"Oh my god I'm so sorry," she giggled. "You could have woke me."

"You looked so peaceful I couldn't bring myself to do it," I smiled as I stood up.

"Hell now that you mention it," she said almost shyly. "I've gotta go too."

"I won't peak," I laughed as I walked around the truck to relieve myself.

"Luckily for me, I'm not the girl who's scared to piss in the woods," she said, joining in on my laughter.

"Just my type," I joked back.

It was about four in the morning by that point, so I didn't put and more wood on the fire since I assumed she'd be ready to go. Instead I just zipped myself up and walked back around to the bed of the truck to grab another beer. Neither of us were really drunk, and we'd sort of stopped drinking, but a new beer sounded good anyways.

"What time is it?" She asked as she came to join me on the tailgate.

"Uhhhh, ten after four," I answered as I checked my watch for the exact time.

"This is the best night I've had in forever Jack," she sighed as she opened a new beer herself and laid her head on my shoulder. "Too bad you don't have breakfast to top it off..."

"I didn't even think that far ahead," I laughed. "I got about as far as getting here with enough wood and alcohol. Didn't imagine we'd stay here all night."

"Are you ready to head back?" She asked, "we don't have to stay here if you don't want."

"Hey this night has been about perfect for me too. I'm not ready to say goodbye just yet," I chuckled, holding her closer.

"Then let's stay here and watch the sunrise?" She asked hopefully.

"If you want we can go to Phil's on our way home and get breakfast as well," I offered.

"Ooooo breakfast date?" She asked, "would that be our second date then?"

"I think it would mean the first one was just really long," I laughed.

"Either way, two dates in one? Count me in!" She giggled as she leaned up to kiss me again.

"We should probably get at least a little sleep," I suggested, "well, more than you've already gotten."

"I'd say that's not a bad idea," she smiled.

I got up and crawled to the front of the bed where I kept two waterproof plastic totes. One had tools and a few spare parts, and the other was full of blankets, pillows, two pair of clean clothes, and my old pair of boots. I always kept my 'kit' in the truck, because you'll never know when you're going to need those things while you're out and about.

The bed of my truck had a foam pad across the bottom since I didn't want to ding it up and hadn't had the time to get a bed liner yet, so that would work for keeping us a little comfortable. I pulled out two pillows and a big heavy blanket and set them down and spread out the blanket, gesturing for her to crawl up there so we could lay down.

"You, Jack, are full of surprises," she laughed as she laid down and pulled the blanket over her. "I can't think of a better first date. Awesome dinner, a fire by the river, laying under the stars, and breakfast to come? You're outdoing yourself."

"Napping under the stars is just a lucky coincidence. I've always got this stuff in the truck," I chuckled as I hopped up to quick throw some more wood on the fire so it wouldn't die out, then laid down next to her.

"This is nice," she sighed as she pillowed her head on my Carhartt sweatshirt, nestling in.

I pulled her closer and put my arm around her shoulders, leaning down to kiss the top of her head as she swung her leg over mine under the blanket. I wasn't sure what heaven would be like, but it was hard to imagine it being any better than what I was experiencing in that moment.

We spent the next half hour softly talking about whatever topic came up in between staring at the stars and gently kissing one another. I was terrified to fall asleep in fear that if I did, this amazing dream would end and she'd be gone, but as I felt her soft lips press into mine once more, I knew it was real life, and I couldn't have been happier.

Eventually we both dozed off, laying in each others embrace, with just the noise of the crickets, the fire crackling, and the river gently rolling by as the only source of noise. As far as first dates went, I couldn't think of a better one, and it wasn't even over yet.

**

The sun came up around six in the morning that time of year, so I imagined we'd slept a little longer than intended since about half of the sun was already above the horizon when I woke. We'd planned on just catching an hour or so, so we could still be awake for the sun to fully rise. It must have chilled off a few extra degrees as we slept as well since it felt to be somewhere around the upper fifties, but regardless, it was still nice and cozy beneath the blanket we shared.

I had to piss, badly, so I disentangled myself from Tegan as gently as I could so as to not wake her and headed off to relieve myself, stopping to add a log or two to the smoldering, but still softly flaming fire as I came back. Coffee sounded amazing right about then, and lucky for me I also kept a steel coffee pot and a can of grounds in that plastic tote as well. Never know when you're going to impromptu camp.

Grabbing the pot I walked my way down to the river to fill it, knowing the river was mostly clean as it was still moving quickly from snowmelt and the rain from the spring, I'd obviously I'd be boiling it anyways, so it would be safe to drink regardless.

Once I had the pot filled I set it on the coals in between the two logs I'd purposefully placed so I had a surface to set the pot on and sat back to wait for it to boil. I couldn't help but glance up at Tegan a few times and marvel at how beautiful she looked curled up the way she was. Once the coffee was almost ready I'd wake her, but I was content to let her sleep and just sit back and admire her.

I hadn't been on many first dates with people I didn't already know rather well in some capacity, so I wasn't sure if this was even in the realm of a normal first date, but I didn't care. She seemed to be enjoying herself and I know I certainly was.

I heard the water start to boil so I got up to grab the coffee grounds off the cooler, taking my time to allow the water to boil a little longer before I added the grounds so it could clean up a little more. After a few minutes I dumped the grounds straight into the water, making "cowboy" coffee like my grandpa taught me to make when I was a kid.

I adjusted the pot so it went down to a rolling boil and let the grounds bounce around in there for about four minutes before I pulled the pot off and drizzled in some cold water from a bottle in the cooler to suck the grounds to the bottom. Most people don't know this, but if you boil the grounds right in the pot, it brings out the flavor more and gets rid of a lot of the acid in the coffee, making it the best cup you'd ever had in your life, and if you drizzle some cold water in, the grounds get stuck to the bottom so you don't get any in your cup.

1...34567...11